Menu

A thread about boiling water and bugs

f you found a moth in your boiling water would you  

1. 1. f you found a moth in your boiling water would you

• pour out the water and start over
    • pull out the moth and put in your pasta

If you put a pot of water on the stove to boil and when you returned to place the pasta in the boiling water you found that a moth had fallen in would you

a) pour out the water and start over

or

b) pull out the moth and put in your pasta

Poll coming

It's funny, b/c I would probably start over, but in so many cultures they would just pull out the bug and keep going, and it would be fine. A sterile moth is not going to hurt your dinner, but the ick factor always gets the better of me. I'd better not leave the US. :lol:

Exactly my thinking. I knew it wasn't a big deal but I knew it would bug me too much to eat my lunch.

A sterile moth is not going to hurt your dinner, but the ick factor always gets the better of me.

Now, my mind would worry that the bug would release some kind of toxin into the water which might poison me! Yes, my mind really does work like that. All the time. It is exhausting. And now my daughter is getting the same way, poor thing!

You are making me feel better.

Good:D. And I would just like to add that I don't get easily grossed out by things when eating. People can talk about all the gross things possible with food and I'll still eat it. But I can't do bugs. A few weeks ago, I was making scrambled eggs and a teeny little spider (like the size of a period in a book) fell in. The whole thing went into the trash, because I couldn't stomach the thought of eating spider cooties.

What about option 3?

"Meat's back on the menu, boys!"

Hee hee. Just kidding.

Once I wanted to make a special loaf of bread to take to my mom's family's get together. When I got out the flour I discovered it was buggy. My mom just commented, "Hey, extra protein!"

We threw it all out, by the way. But the attitude sort of stuck.

It's funny, b/c I would probably start over, but in so many cultures they would just pull out the bug and keep going, and it would be fine. A sterile moth is not going to hurt your dinner, but the ick factor always gets the better of me. I'd better not leave the US. :lol:

:iagree: I just couldn't do it. I would KNOW, even if no one else did. *shudder*

I can't imagine dumping boiling water out because a bug was in it. I have to haul all my water into the kitchen because there's no plumbing and it's not drinkable anyway- I boil or filter all of it. Boiled water works for me no matter what I picked out of it earlier.

The details of my thought process.

If I hadn't put the spaghetti in yet, I would move the pot over to cool and start over with a new pot. I'd water the plants with the water after it's cool.

If the moth fell in and the spaghetti was already cooking, I'd fish out the moth with a spoon, let it boil a little longer, and taste a bit of the spaghetti to make sure it wasn't moth flavored before serving it.

I wouldn't worry about it, but if I hadn't started the spaghetti yet, I wouldn't want to take the chance of wasting the spaghetti by finding out later that cooked moths make it taste nasty.

Ugh, we're having spaghetti tonight...

Bugs and food gross me out. I quit drinking Mountain Dew and Minute Maid OJ when my mom told me her company made the powdered firefly guts (carmine) to color them. And then there was the video we watched in school about how flies use the edges of cups as toilets.

Moth water would be gone! If it landed in the boiling spaghetti, we'd be eating PB&J. I've had gastroenteritis three times in the past three months. Not taking any chances.

A moth? AFAIK they're not disease-carriers and are just butterfly cousins. I'd feelsaditdied andfish it out but not change the water. I'm a non-germaphobe though and since I know there's lots of bug (and other animal particles) legally allowed in our food and basically unavoidable, I don't think an organic moth is going to hurt me ;).

I would have gotten the bug out with a spoon and went about making the pasta. Water is too freaking expensive here. :glare:

That said, yesterday there was a fly walking around the rim of my tea mug and I had to pour it out, scrub the cup and start a new pot of tea.

Ugh, we're having spaghetti tonight...

Bugs and food gross me out. I quit drinking Mountain Dew and Minute Maid OJ when my mom told me her company made the powdered firefly guts (carmine) to color them. And then there was the video we watched in school about how flies use the edges of cups as toilets.

Ewww. I'm so glad I washed my cup.

Exactly my thinking. I knew it wasn't a big deal but I knew it would bug me too much to eat my lunch.

:lol:

Good one!

Without question or hesitation I would throw the water out and start over (been there done that)....but it wouldn't be without frustration or irritation. Ha! :lol:

One time I was house sitting and made my favorite soup. I put the soup in my bowl, sat down at the table, and right before I took my first spoonful......a fly landed right in the soup. I couldn't believe it! What are the odds (I always had heard some joke or comedy routine or something about a fly in the soup. Wasn't like....'waiter, there's a fly in my soup'?)? Nope....I did not eat my soup. :ack2:

ETA: I guess you can learn a lesson from everything. Next time....put a lid on the pot.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

Now' date=' my mind would worry that the bug would release some kind of toxin into the water which might poison me! Yes, my mind really does work like that. All the time. It is exhausting. And now my daughter is getting the same way, poor thing![/quote']

You sound a bit OCD-ish. :001_smile: Have you thought about joining our support group? ;) (Seriously, though, having a mind that works like that can really interfere with your life. Ask me how I know.)

Wendi

You sound a bit OCD-ish. :001_smile: Have you thought about joining our support group? ;) (Seriously, though, having a mind that works like that can really interfere with your life. Ask me how I know.)

Wendi

Yeah, probably; and I was diagnosed earlier this year with ADHD! :) What support group?