Menu

If you think you are an Aspie, do you think like this?

Just to add more to the "literal thinking" question.. Here is an example of a mistake I made once because of my literal thinking..

My MIL & FIL came for Thanksgiving one year and my MIL complimented me on our plates. She said, "Oh, I like these plates" directly to me (no one else was in the room). I couldn't bring myself to say "thank you" because my husband had bought the plates.. not me. So she got absolutely NO response from me. So she said it again, "I really like these plates".. And still no response from me. I was too rigid with my thinking that my husband had bought the plates and I remember being annoyed when he bought them because I thought we didn't need more plates. I couldn't say thank you for that reason alone. In fact, I couldn't say anything. I remember my thought process during that moment and I remember thinking that it's not correct for me to say thank you. It seems like a stupid mistake to me now that I think back on it.. But my life is full of mistakes like these. It takes me longer to process what is socially appropriate. I am better now that I am in my mid 30's and I respond more appropriately now in most cases. I think I was around 30 when that happened... I guess I was still learning.:tongue_smilie:

Edited by Misty

You know, I never thought of this before (and I can't wait til dh gets home to ask him about it,) but I wonder how many of the characteristics of Aspergers are actually a function of WHO gets diagnosed with it the most (adolescent boys.)

Anyway, I meet many other characteristics of someone with high functioning autism, so it's not just the organizing and need for evenness. Those could be OCD instead, but maybe not (I did have outright OCD as a child.) And then I am mixed up by the fact that I am hyper (to the point that it causes me problems in life) aware of the emotions and motivations of others, so that masks many things that would otherwise look like Aspergers. I do have a lot of trouble in social situations, because I loathe chit-chat and don't do it well. (I tend to start overly complex conversations with people who are expecting chit-chat. :D) All I know is that I used to leave social situations crying to dh that "I don't think like other people, and I don't understand them. What am I missing?" :confused: Luckily, he knew how to help, and I have learned to deal with a lot of that. :001_smile:

Here is an example of a mistake I made once because of my literal thinking..

Wow. I have done almost the exact same thing. My in-laws think I'm terribly rude. But it isn't intentional, and I don't realize it until dh or someone points out what I've done.

Just to add more to the "literal thinking" question.. Here is an example of a mistake I made once because of my literal thinking..

My MIL & FIL came for Thanksgiving one year and my MIL complimented me on our plates. She said, "Oh, I like these plates" directly to me (no one else was in the room). I couldn't bring myself to say "thank you" because my husband had bought the plates.. not me. So she got absolutely NO response from me. So she said it again, "I really like these plates".. And still no response from me. I was too rigid with my thinking that my husband had bought the plates and I remember being annoyed when he bought them because I thought we didn't need more plates. I couldn't say thank you for that reason alone. In fact, I couldn't say anything. I remember my thought process during that moment and I remember thinking that it's not correct for me to say thank you. It seems like a stupid mistake to me now that I think back on it.. But my life is full of mistakes like these. It takes me longer to process what is socially appropriate. I am better now that I am in my mid 30's and I respond more appropriately now in most cases. I think I was around 30 when that happened... I guess I was still learning.:tongue_smilie:

This would be so me. People are talking about one thing out loud and in person and I have another conversation going on in my head with myself. What comes out isn't always related to the out loud, in person conversation.

Misty, I have sort of a funny literal thinking example--

When I was in my 20's, I cat-sat for my apt managers. They showed me around the house (I was going to clean it, too), and told me about their "stuff" and what they wanted me to do. We came to the bathroom, where they had a cat box. They told me that the litter was a new kind, that clumped so it scooped easily (dating myself, here!).

So, when they came home, they were happy with the cleaning, cat was still alive, all was well, except...they wondered why I hadn't scooped the cat box. Well, they hadn't told me they wanted me to, specifically! I thought they were just commenting on this nifty new kitty litter!!

Kinda embarrassing. But funny, too.

So, when they came home, they were happy with the cleaning, cat was still alive, all was well, except...they wondered why I hadn't scooped the cat box. Well, they hadn't told me they wanted me to, specifically! I thought they were just commenting on this nifty new kitty litter!!

LOL..Yes, gotta have those specific instructions.. I deal with this sort of thing with my Aspie girls all the time..

I think I'm borderline, too, and I do most of those things. I don't cut things into even numbers, that seems more OCD to me.... The people I live with have zero organizational ability and so my kitchen pantry, cabinets, etc. do not stay in order - but I periodically put them back and would have less stress if they'd stay that way, LOL....

We just got new furniture for the boys and they have drawers, loads of glorious drawers! I bought boxes to fit into some of those drawers for my youngest and made him organize his Lego bricks....

I was just thinking today that I love being able to put away his clothing so easily now, too!

Well, of COURSE, towels have to be folded right side out, upstairs in 3rds since it has normal towel racks (I insisted) but the downstairs towels have to be folded in halves and halves again, since fil put up the STUPIDEST towel racks. Nothing dries on them, so I wash towels over and over. And we can't replace the towel rack because it will leave holes. And the car has to be set on 68 or 70, NOT 69 or 71 because that would be wrong! A friend of my dd's laughed and laughed when he saw where she got that quirk! And yes, my spices are alphabetized. I must say, I'm having a wonderful calm day (even though we have 9 commitments to make today) because dd is gone (miss her) but her STUFF is gone from the living room, youngest dd's room, basement and bunkhouse. I'll be able to VACUUM the floor! Oh frabjous day!

A strategically placed 1x4 will take care of this. You can paint it to match the walls or the trim. Who cares if it looks "normal" (it actually kind of resembles a safety bar). Just attach the new towel rack to that after using it to cover the holes. It'll be stronger too.

I discovered this after my kids finally broke the towel rack right off the wall. I'll take a pic sometime tomorrow if you want to see how it looks.

You know, I never thought of this before (and I can't wait til dh gets home to ask him about it,) but I wonder how many of the characteristics of Aspergers are actually a function of WHO gets diagnosed with it the most (adolescent boys.)

Anyway, I meet many other characteristics of someone with high functioning autism, so it's not just the organizing and need for evenness. Those could be OCD instead, but maybe not (I did have outright OCD as a child.) And then I am mixed up by the fact that I am hyper (to the point that it causes me problems in life) aware of the emotions and motivations of others, so that masks many things that would otherwise look like Aspergers. I do have a lot of trouble in social situations, because I loathe chit-chat and don't do it well. (I tend to start overly complex conversations with people who are expecting chit-chat. :D) All I know is that I used to leave social situations crying to dh that "I don't think like other people, and I don't understand them. What am I missing?" :confused: Luckily, he knew how to help, and I have learned to deal with a lot of that. :001_smile:

I think you might be interested in reading about Dabrowski's overexcitabilities in the gifted (just google it) and you might also just google adult gifted women. Also the book Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis of the gifted (or something like that).

Strong sensitivity to sound, touch, taste, sight, and smell (e.g. fabrics—won’t wear certain things, fluorescent lights) I do not know a single person who is NOT bothered by particular sounds (e.g. nails on the blackboard), taste (e.g. cucumbers), sight (I get a sensory overload by watching at fractals) or smell. I will also not wear certain fabrics. Nor will most people I know.

Ah..if it was only that easy. Of course people will have dislikes of sounds, smells, tastes, touch. But a person with a strong sensitivity is extremely bothered, WAY beyond what a 'normal' person might feel in a similar uncomfortable situation. A strong sense of smell can cause gagging and actual vomiting. It's not just a 'ewww that smells horrid'. It's a physical reaction. Tastes can have the same effect although someone with a strong sense of smell will usually avoid certain foods just because they smell horrible. Loud sounds that might startle a normal hearing person were physical torture for my son. Imagine having someone setting off air horns right against your ear. That is what any loud sounds felt like to my son. I had to buy an expensive vacuum that was less noisy because my son would hide in a closet on a different floor holding his hands over his ears and screaming that his ears hurt. Seams on the toes of socks or tags in clothing were the same as holding a hot knife against the skin. Honestly, some people think these things are just made up as attention grabbing devices. No way.

I realize you have your opinion, but statements like this just sound so dismissive and extremely hurtful to people like me who live with these situations on a daily basis. And yes, I've had people tell me to tell my son to suck it up and deal with his issues because everyone has issues. What a crock of sh*t. :(

It is clearly stated in the DSM that the symptoms must interfere with everyday functioning. I could not hold a job, make eye contact, etc. for years. I still cannot hold a job or go to a social event, etc.. I obsessed over everything (mentally). I could not finish college because I would quit for absolutely no reason but an impulse that I could not control.

Heh.. the longest I've ever held a job was 11 months and the last 2 of those months were absolutely awful. My stress level was through the roof and there was no valid reason for it. I've tried explaining to people why I feel a compulsion to quit something. I simply cannot articulate the reasons. So I'm seen as lazy and called a quitter. Honestly, people who don't want to believe in these conditions just won't believe no matter what information is put in front of their eyes. It's just like people who refuse to see homeschooling as a valid form of education. They'll reason away any form of evidence that doesn't suit their beliefs.

A strong sense of smell can cause gagging and actual vomiting. It's not just a 'ewww that smells horrid'. It's a physical reaction.

:iagree:

My 8yr old daughter with Asperger's used to hide in a corner and scream every time I would cook ANYTHING with a distinct smell. I'm talking about casseroles, scrambled eggs, etc.. Normal stuff. She's also a picky eater to the point of needing feeding therapy when she was both 2 & 5. And she still has issues! She is a perfect example of being overly sensitive to the point of not functioning normally. She also can't get into our van sometimes because of the smell (a smell that no one else notices).. She used to puke in the van any time we drove longer than 30 minutes. We had to keep puke bags in the backseat for her and make frequent stops. It was horrible.

But a person with a strong sensitivity is extremely bothered, WAY beyond what a 'normal' person might feel in a similar uncomfortable situation.

Read further - I described a physical / mental reaction where my brain just cannot seem to process certain types of visual information. That is what I am talking about, and I certainly know other people - some not on the spectrum by any means, and some yes - who have a particular trigger or two for such an experience. As I said, I can imagine that a certain *quantity* of these experiences makes life extremely complicated - but as you have not been inside other people's heads, how can you seriously claim that they cannot understand the *quality* of these experiences? How can you possibly know that we are not talking about *qualitately* comparable experiences?

We have no scientific means to compare what exactly happens in your brain and what happens in mine, to explain why it differs from the "default" brain reaction and form the "default" brain functioning, to talk whether there are extents to those reactions and what other factors contribute to them being more or less intense, and so forth. This area of brain functioning is "explained" mostly by pseudo-science / speculation and subjective explanations.

While nobody denies that that some individuals react differently to some experiences, there are certain criteria that need to be met if the study of those were to be fully scientific. Currently, the whole NT / non-NT thing is poorly defined, language-based and interpretation-based (!), subjective, without a precise method to measure physical parameters which would make one or the other. The brain scanning technologies are only at the beginning of the process and quite limited too: for example, they can 'measure' the electric impulses in the brain and see whether you process some types of information in the same physical part of the brain as somebody else, but you cannot actually quantitatively measure the "extent" of the experience, take into account brain chemistry parameters, etc.

It is not "not wanting to believe" in those things. I do not "believe" - if something is science rather than elaborated mythology without anything "concrete" it stands on, I want hardcore material evidence that exactly this brain is different from the default and how, in physical tests which would demonstrate and possibly measure the difference from the "typical" brain reaction (with a very careful dealing with what "typical" is in the first place, very stringent tests on as large and as different groups of people - ethnically, racially, age-wise, sex-wise, etc. - as possible, with very careful attention not to jump to too early conclusions about "typical"), with very minute explanations of what exactly is evidenced by those tests, are our conclusions possibly too far-fetched and too speculative, I want to know what exactly can we know from a given set of information and whether there are other potentially crucial which we cannot measure yet, and stuff of the kind, rather than vague speculation within underdefined categories, which was the vast majority of the talk on these topics I have come across.

By the way, I also had instances of synesthesia, extreme sensitivity on touch (did complicate my life with doctors, for example), small seizures (typically bedtime, so as a kid I did not really pay attention to it because it was hard for me to distinguish it from the sleepy state I was in - it was only through adulthood that I figured out it was a tad bit unusual), and more than one person told me in different instances that I have "an unusual psychology" LOL - so more likely than not, I actually AM a "candidate" when some of these disorders, in a mild form. It is just that I find definitions, methodology, etc. to be sloppy and insufficient.

Where do we draw the line between Autism and normal variations of human behavior? It's an intriguing question. But again, we must go back to the issue of how debilitating the symptoms are and can the child function without supports in place?

Yeah, but look at just how you "defined" it right now: it has to be debilitating.

How do we define debilitating? Are those the same extents of stimuli / equally strong reactions for all people? Is debilitating often dependent on outside factors? If so, are there particular conjunctions of factors or can we really neatly separate them and attribute all of it, always, to a brain difference? Can we measure debilitating? Is the "scale" even the typical kind of linear scale we are familiar with (I am not sure I would think linearly about these phenomena, for one - nor about "intelligence" and its "linear" scale... which is a whole other can of worms)? These are not banal questions, inability from the side of experts to answer with conceptual precision to questions like these reveals a profound lack of understanding of what they have in front of them.

Or do we just allow people to "self-define"? But what is the point of scientific treament of these issues then?

See my point? I understand your statement, linguistically, but it is just. too. vague., at least for some brains present here :tongue_smilie:, to talk in this "language". My frustrations with this "language" are huge, because while I would love to learn more about brain as such and oscillations in how brains function, it all appears like a such a mess and then I get my "OCD-ish" (LOL) tendencies to make order there and try to neatly organize things in my mind the way to the highest rigor of inter- and intra-connections I can do, and when I start making some conceptual order people tend to withdraw when I ask some (conceptually) very fundamental questions, or respond in such a fashion with such lack of precision that I oscillate between being puzzled and being irritated.

Because it's not a requirement for the diagnosis. It's just something that professionals have noticed is common in Aspies.. But it certainly isn't necessary for the diagnosis. It's just something to look for when a suspicion of Asperger's is there.. I think you're overthinking all of this! :chillpill: :)

You see, this in mind exemplifies EXACTLY the lack of scientific rigor and medical responsibility I have in mind. You could not pick a better example.

So, they "noticed" something - but they do not know WHAT EXACTLY they noticed? They cannot define what they noticed, put some conceptuals boarders around it to isolate it, they cannot 'manipulate' it scientifically (is it measurable? how? in all individuals equally? how do we pose a scale? etc.) - yet almost without exception you will find it on all checklists. I really do not think I am overthinking - I think many people who deal with this are underthinking the whole thing and the fundamental underpinnings their theories have.

Heck, some people I have spoken to cannot even reasonably define whether it is a syndrome or a disease - not a banal question. And if I am a "mild" Aspie as you say - maybe I am not an Aspie at all, but what the syndrome includes are features not distinctive enough? Not only linguistically imprecise, but per se not distinctive enough?

Those things seem to me to be more of an OCD problem. SOme of my worst arguments with my dh were of that nature. I am not OCD and really, really don't like any type of OCD behavior where the OCD person tries to impose their peculiarities on anyone else. My brother did this when I was growing up. In fact, most of his behavior problems revolved around those issues. He didn't think the newspaper was arranged correctly (like there was an A section, B Section, C section) and wanted me (who was up earlier and read the paper first to rearrange it according to his idea of what is the correct way of arranging a paper- Main news, business section, arts section, sports. I wasn't intererested in doing that. Just like I want to arrange my books according to topic but my dh thinks books should be arranged in topic areas but then by size. I hate that. I am now in charge of the cookbooks and am so happy. I have the baking books in one area, international food in another, etc, etc. Oh, and I am adhd and I think that is one of the big reasons I find OCD so insufferable- the OCD person's way of organizing or their requirements (dh has very specific requirements on laundry so I don't do it) are hard to remember and the results are difficult to use.

How do we define debilitating?

We (or I) already gave you several examples of what is considered "debilitating". You keep arguing in circles.. We give you an example of something and you come back with a, "yeah, but what is 'normal'?" or "what is 'debilitating'?" Honestly, if you are that confused, maybe you should just stop thinking about it and drop it because you are only overthinking everything and going in circles.. It seems like you are just trying to upset some people here.. People who are dealing with REAL issues that are extremely difficult to live with. Just because your issues do not reach the point of debilitating or extreme, does not mean the rest of us should have our undeniably crappy situations dismissed.

See my point?

No, I do not.. Because you are rambling about nothing. Trying to sound like you are above science. It's obvious you are very intelligent.. We all get that.. You don't need to prove yourself by trying to "out think" the rest of us.

I am a literal thinker as well. If a coworker says "Wow, it's really raining out there!" I will more likely than not remain silent. It's not a question, and I have nothing to add to it. I know that they are making conversation and I am doing my part, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how.

It hasn't impeded my quality of life except in certain social situations, but I have learned little scripts for those as well. (Like "yes it is really coming down" when someone comments on the rain.) However, it has helped me understand my little Aspie a bit better.

Incidentally - regarding the OP - he is not an organized thinker. He has routines, but they involve drawing trains and race tracks at the top of his math worksheets. He will figure out the same math problem three times because the first time he figures it out, he doesn't write it down right away - he has to draw a box around the math problem first, and by then he's forgotten it. The second time he figures it out, he'll stop to draw some other picture or complain that he would rather do the math problem NEXT to it. Usually about the third time I will say (in a less than patient voice) "just write down FIFTY SIX! before you forget it! FIFTY SIX! Write it here... you know what... I'll just write for you..."

I actually find it helpful when people recognize the traits of Asperger's in themselves. Obviously, doing a few spectrumy things does not equal autism; I think most people know that. Perhaps by saying "yes! I do that, too!" and realizing what a life it would be if you were like that to the nth degree all. the. time... surely this raises the kind of awareness parents like me want to see. Specifically... sure, this child is "different," he needs a little grace (and extra help coping) but there is a place for him in this world. :)

We (or I) already gave you several examples of what is considered "debilitating".

An example =/= a definition.

This is parallel to me asking you to define the color purple and you show it to me. That is not a definition. If you wanted to define it, you would start by definining color in general as a physical or perceptive property which is due to light reflections and different wavelengths, and so on, and than within that you would define purple as a particular segment of visual light. Pointing to a purple object or saying what purple is to you is absolutely insignificant and does not consitute a definition.

I am not looking for EXAMPLES. They are anecdotal, subjective and entirely unimportant in this context. I am looking for a PRECISE DEFINITION of when something turns debilitating, whether the point of debilitating is measurable, how can we know it, etc. - basically, all the questions (and more) I brought up.

It seems like you are just trying to upset some people here..

Please do not read into my intentions. I am discussing things because I like discussing things; how somebody emotionally reacts to that is their own issue and I cannot accept any responsibility for that, as I am merely discussing. I am sorry if you are upset by people questioning things or not understanding them to the core.

People who are dealing with REAL issues that are extremely difficult to live with.

I fail to notice any difference in the reality of our experiences. Intensity is another question, but I do not see how we could measure that.

Just because your issues do not reach the point of debilitating or extreme, does not mean the rest of us should have our undeniably crappy situations dismissed.

I am not dismissing anyone's particular situation or struggles. I was talking conceptually and pointing to what I do not understand. I asked those same questions to psychologists, neurologists, DH's colleagues (DH works in a biomedical field), and so forth. I still do not understand things, find their categories blurred and guess what, I am not the only one.

Trying to sound like you are above science.

Please do not read into my intentions. I am discussing things in a totally normal, relaxed fashion.

It's obvious you are very intelligent.. We all get that.. You don't need to prove yourself by trying to "out think" the rest of us.

I do not consider myself exceptionally intelligent (maybe a classical "moderately gifted" person, but nothing beyond that), I just tend to think precisely. That precision has payed off multiple times in the past when I tried understanding things, because I tend to spot things which are often overlooked or taken for granted, such as the meaning of many of the terms used, their vagueness, etc. I have such issues with all sorts of things, from linguistics (verging professional there) to common ethics to, like here, the issues of neurodiversity.

If you can point to me a place where I may find the topic dealt with in this very precise way which would suit my way of thinking - excellent, and I will thank you. I do not for a second rule out an option that my answers ARE there, but I have simply not come across them yet. If you cannot, please do not dismiss MY efforts in conceptual understanding of the world around me based on YOUR impressions of what I am trying to accomplish when I talk.

Edited by Ester Maria

Wow. It's a whole thread of people just like me. Awesome. :grouphug:

The only thing I don't do is the even numbers thing. I'm not aspie, just very organized.

Same here. I'm just a big fan of neat and orderly.

I struggle with too much noise and motion, but I think that's exasperated by once again, my family of active noisemakers.

This is a big problem for me. DH and I went to Best Buy yesterday and I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Lots of noise, flashing electronic lights, stuff all around. I could feel my blood pressure rising and my pulse rate increasing. Ugh. It felt like a glimse into hell for me. My dad used to complain about that when we went shopping as kids for clothing and I always though it was just the spending money that go to him but now I get it. It's like sensory overload.

You guys don't think I'm really strange now, do you? :D

Does anyone else make sure towels are folded right side out?

Of course and DH has is on a life long ban of ever doing laundry because he does it wrong. Towels folded all willy nilly. Shirts hung facing left and right. Don't even get me started on what he did with the socks!

ETA: I don't think I'm Aspie. Maybe a touch OCD but only a touch. My dad has a lot of the same issues that I do and I just refer to it as an "engineer's personality".

Edited by aggieamy

Repetitive routines & rituals-very much. That's one of the reasons I hate dh being home from work during vacations & summers. He makes me feel crazy & he watches me. He tells me I'm crazy. Mundane tasks for hours-you should see me sorting my binders again and again. :tongue_smilie: Highly gifted (before baby brain), rigid, unusual preoccupations, collections, researching, rote memory...check, check, check, check, check, check. My kids love that I can bring up detailed and totally worthless information on anything from Ugandan politics to cellular biology because it was once my "kick". These kicks last from hours to years and I spend every possible moment researching and memorizing about them. Stims-my dh says I do with my fingers whenever I'm stressed or thinking about something too much. I have never noticed.

But I'm also ridiculously empathetic. I can't watch the news or anything because I internalize so much of the pain and suffering that it makes me physically hurt. I do come off as mean to some people when I'm being protective of my loved ones, but usually I will do anything to prevent pain to others in any form. I was bullied horrifically as a child and it's so insanely hard for me to make friends. I am a social idiot. I really try to be nice, but I get into crazy deep conversations or put my foot in my mouth and nobody likes me.

Have you read John Elder Robison's book Look Me In the Eye? Not suggested because you "need" to, or because I think you're an Aspie in denial (I don't anything about Asperger's and other people; I just know my Aspie son.). If you haven't read it, you might find it interesting to see a more intense version of what you're describing. (Presuming more intense, since Mr. Robison identifies himself as a person with Asperger's....)

And I can tell social cues. I just have some sort of brain/body/mouth disconnect that makes me awkward and stupid when talking to other human beings. Besides my kids. :lol: No wonder I love cats so much.

Me too. I am either "too quiet" for people, or telling an irrelevant, possibly inappropriate story and have no idea what prompted me to share. (So much better to be "too quiet.") Awkward Small Talk syndrome... I know a few others who have it. We huddle together at parties and try not to say anything.

Me too. I am either "too quiet" for people, or telling an irrelevant, possibly inappropriate story and have no idea what prompted me to share. (So much better to be "too quiet.") Awkward Small Talk syndrome... I know a few others who have it. We huddle together at parties and try not to say anything.

:lol: Sounds like my kind of party! I've also had several ear surgeries. That's my fallback excuse as to why I would rather email than call anyone.

• 1 month later...

Ester Maria,

If you do a basic google search on neuroscience research and Asperger's and/or autistic spectrum disorders, you will find such links as:

http://www.faculty.washington.edu/chudler/asp.html

http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu

Example: study on Mirror Neuron System

http://www.tmslab.org/wp-content/files/boubakikipaper_0.1.doc

Dr. Ramachandran is one of the world's most respected researchers in neuroscience.

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu

The Mind Institute posts results of current research in "News Releases."

http://www.aspiestrategy.blogspot.com/2010/21/mri-scans-and-aspergers-new-research.html

http://www.autismresearchcenter.com

Yes, brain studies are in their relative infancy, but there is a lot of solid neurochemical, genetic, and other information building up out there -- it's not all magnetic imaging, although some studies obviously include that. Autopsies, for instance, of adult Aspies are showing such things as differences in size of the hippocampus, and in the very physical structure of neurons as well as in cortical thickness; there are other findings on the size and development of the frontal cortex as well, but I can't remember what the findings were, offhand.

ETA: I hope the links work; I'm not terrific at pasting these in. If they don't, google the main words in the website.

I'm a borderline Aspie. I do tend to minimise trips around the house, and look for efficiency. However, I do not see disorder. As a child, my mom had to point out everything that needed cleaning in my room. It was fine by my standards. My kids are the same. As long as I know where everything is, I'm happy. No need for uncluttering.

OMGosh, this is me. I've been berated my whole life for being a "pig" but honestly, I just don't see it until it hinders daily life.

Hmmmm....thanks for the responses so far.

So maybe I'm more OCD, but I'm not sure how much of what I do is driven by trying to stay sane while managing a family of 7.

I see patterns everywhere. I drive my dh crazy, but at least he just laughs at me now.

I see efficient processes so clearly, that I am truly amazed others can't see them. I know I was born to be a process engineer. :D

I struggle with natural small talk, and I am much more comfortable in my private space having conversations in my head.

I struggle with too much noise and motion, but I think that's exasperated by once again, my family of active noisemakers.

My little Aspie is very organized, but perhaps that's a function of trying to keep his treasures safe and guarded while sharing a room with two younger sibs.

Feel free to jump in with your personality quirks. The more the merrier!

:lurk5:

:iagree: with the bolded. Noises can drive me to the brink of insanity. There are certain voices I literally can not be around. I can't stand it when someone absently clicks a pen, or taps a pencil or makes any sort of repetitive pounding noise (even if it's soft).

Small talk is torture. I quit going to the women's ministry functions because I can not stand trying to make small talk. It frustrates me to no living end.

Efficiency. Oh my, I make myself nuts trying to complete tasks without retracing steps. At work, it's terrible. I'll get up, go down two floors to the break room for ice, come back up and it's like I'm between radio stations in my head if I have to go back to my desk to put the cup of ice down, then retrace my steps to go use the restroom, or if I have to go back to my desk for change for the soda machine or something. My anxiety level will shoot up if I have to retrace my steps for something.

I do see patterns in things and if for some reason I can't see one, it stresses me out. I also can't stand asymmetry. I don't mind not having things in even numbers, but they must be symmetrical or at least balanced visually.

I'm a freak. :glare:

Hmmmm....thanks for the responses so far.

So maybe I'm more OCD, but I'm not sure how much of what I do is driven by trying to stay sane while managing a family of 7.

I see patterns everywhere. I drive my dh crazy, but at least he just laughs at me now.

I see efficient processes so clearly, that I am truly amazed others can't see them. I know I was born to be a process engineer. :D

I struggle with natural small talk, and I am much more comfortable in my private space having conversations in my head.

Feel free to jump in with your personality quirks. The more the merrier!

:lurk5:

Yes and Yes!! I thought I just had a weirdly introverted personality.