Menu

where to get a dog?

I've been reading through the dog threads over the last few days. Now I'm torn whether to get a family dog through a breeder or the rescue shelter.

This will our first family pet. We have 5 children ranging from 12 to almost 2. The dog will mostly my oldest's responsibility. We've been thinking about getting a labradoodle through a breeder so we'll know what to expect. On the other hand if we can get a great dog without the cost, we'd be happy using a shelter. I want to be so careful choosing because we just convinced dh to get a dog. He's been very reluctant due to the amount of work involved.

Aaaah! What should we do? Some breeds I've been looking at are bichon frise mixes or terriers.

S.:bigear:

You might look at rescues where the dogs are in foster homes instead of shelters, particularly since this is your first dog. The foster can give you a lot more information about the dog's personality than a shelter usually can, and rescue organizations will be able to work more with you to find a dog that's a good match.

from a reputable breeder, after much research has been don on the type of breed that would most suit your family.

I am whole heartedly against adopting pound dogs. I know it's not a popular or PC stance, but there you go. IME shelter dogs are never as well trained as a puppy you buy from a breeder.

I've been reading through the dog threads over the last few days. Now I'm torn whether to get a family dog through a breeder or the rescue shelter.

This will our first family pet. We have 5 children ranging from 12 to almost 2. The dog will mostly my oldest's responsibility. We've been thinking about getting a labradoodle through a breeder so we'll know what to expect. On the other hand if we can get a great dog without the cost, we'd be happy using a shelter. I want to be so careful choosing because we just convinced dh to get a dog. He's been very reluctant due to the amount of work involved.

Aaaah! What should we do? Some breeds I've been looking at are bichon frise mixes or terriers.

It depends.

I wouldn't buy a mixed-breed dog, such as a "labradoodle," from a "breeder." Sorry. If I wanted a specific breed (and "labradoodles" are not a specific breed) I'd go to a breeder, probably more than one, after checking out all of them. (I might buy a "labradoodle," but I wouldn't be willing to pay very much for one.)

If I wanted a mxed-breed dog, I'd check out the shelters. Or I might investigate rescue groups if I were interested in a specific breed; some of them do a great job of fostering the dogs and giving prospective forever families good information regarding the dogs' behavior and health issues. I rescued a French bulldog, and he's been great.

I know that I'm really bad with dogs that have coats, so long-hair breeds like bichons or bichon mixes would not be a good choice for me. So that's something to consider: taking care of coats. I know from experience that I will do much better with dogs that don't have coats (Frenchies, for example, or greyhounds, the other dog we rescued). Poodles, bichon, shih tzu, cocker spaniels I know are all anathema to me (unless and until I can afford to take them somewhere on a regular basis to be groomed by someone else!). YMMV, but it is something to consider.

if we can get a great dog without the cost, we'd be happy using a shelter.

Getting a dog from a shelter is not free, at least not in our area. They still charge a fee. I have been looking at shelters and rescues for couple days now and average fee in our area is $200.

I have both pure breed, MalteseS (4), and pound puppies (Walker Hound).

I will say that it depends greatly on the shelter and the breeder.

You can inbreed and as a result encourage bad traits, including bad personalities. The environment is not always conducive to produce a gentle and loving pet either.

The pound/shelter can have similiar problems. Most of what we have noticed are "recycled" pets - thus, our Sissy at 1.5 years old came home with us. :)

Information is worth every bit of time that you take regardless of whether or not you choose a private breeder or pound/shelter.

I would get a handbook of the breeds or an App, LOL, for while you search the shelters. Check with the SPCA and the Humane Society sponsored shelters and care centers or private rescue groups. If you like a specific breed, check for the breed rescue in your area. We ended up with rescued Malteses after purchasing privately. :)

Edit: REmember that the shelters and rescue groups have given complete vet checks and shots that would total 250 or more! You are reimbursing for vet expense most times.

Getting a dog from a shelter is not free, at least not in our area. They still charge a fee. I have been looking at shelters and rescues for couple days now and average fee in our area is $200.

And they are pretty demanding. Around here, you have to sign away your Constitutional rights against unwarranted search and seizure to be allowed to adopt a dog.

How do you find a reputable breeder? I did a websearch and came up with a bunch of names. How do you know if the reviews are credible? Most of the breeders are at least an hour away. I'd like to do more research on them and narrow it down to 2-3 before making the drive up.

We got our dog through the pound. We looked on Petfinder for almost a year before we found a good match. We met a few dogs before we adopted Rover. He was an older puppy living in a foster home. He was being trained by his foster "mom" and is an amazing, calm family dog. He is beautiful, and perfect for our family.

I don't think the rescue vs. breeder issue is as important as taking a lot of time to find a dog with the right temperament (energy level, personality, grooming needs) for your family and working with the dog to help it fit in with your family. A good rescue organization will offer adoption assistance and work with you to place the right dog with you, especially if you're willing to be patient and wait for a good match. The same with a responsible breeder. Both want to make sure dogs go to good homes where they are loved and cared for and where they can be successful.

Cat

With that many kids and their ages I would say breeder or a puppy from the pound. A rescue will most likely not give you a puppy and I absolutely believe that people with kids should start with a puppy. I feel this is the best and safest option for your kids. I love mutts, but I would have to get an 8 week old mutt.

Anyone can register on the AKC web if they have an AKC registered dog so you also have to be careful there. The best way to find a good breeder is through word of mouth. I would research and figure out what breed you are looking for and then call around.

I DO NOT think that a "good" breeder has to have an actual kennel and all that jazz. Yes, you want to steer clear of people that churn out puppies for money and dont take care of them, but you can find wonderful healthy dogs from people that have just had a few litters at their home. I call this "hobby breeding" just like "hobby farming" You need to ask a bunch of questions and visit the place and take a look at the parents. A good breeder will show you anything you want to see and answer any questions you have.

You truely will not 'know what to expect' with purchasing a purebreed-getting puppies can go either way. For a first time pet, I actually recommend getting a dog from a reputable rescue that has had the dog in a foster home for a period of time. They will have evaluated the dog, they will know any quirks the dog may have, what it likes, the dog should be potty trained if it had been kept inside, and the foster people most likely would have worked on basic commands.

Puppies are a lot of work for first time dog owners...especially since you have many smaller children to look after as well. Your oldest may be the one responsible, but ultimately it comes down to the parents.

We have a small farm, our kids each have their own pets that they picked out and farm chores...I still have to remind them frequently to take care of their pets. It's not that they don't love their pets, but they are kids and can be forgetful.

That's just my .02. I've been rescuing and fostering dogs for some time and have found that when families have chosen dogs that are beyond the puppy stage and are a little more settled, then things go much better for both.

Oh and no matter what you choose, training classes with a good trainer and new pet will really help.

Edited by CountryGirl2

Guest IdahoMtnMom

We have a 6 month old Golden Retriever puppy. We got her through a breeder about 2.5 hours away. We knew two dogs in our area from the breeder, checked other referances, standing with the AKC... and then drove down and played with the two remaining dogs in the litter a bit before deciding on her. Before I shelled out $1200, I want to know WHAT I was getting. This breeder only breeds each female 2x per year and there is no crossing of lines. Since getting Willow at 8 weeks, I have had several calls for references and I have recommended them HIGHLY!!!

A note... prior to Willow, we got a black lab mix from a reputable rescue lady (ex wife of a Richard Dryfuss, a neighbor, and a friend)... and it was a nightmare... not only did the dog snip at the kids, it bit my son to blood! And she had a bad intestinal infections that cost us a lot in vet bills... NEVER AGAIN. She was my first and last attempt at a rescue!

A labradoodle is not a purebed dog. Its a mutt.

My puppy just finished puppy kindergarten/playgroup and we have encountered 4 labradoodles. All of them were puppies with personality issues. Just because I have a cute lab and you have a cute poodle does not make someone a breeder.

I would read about Bichon Frise. I had one and I would not recommend one around young young children. Plus the grooming costs are crazy expensive.

I have gotten 2 amazing dogs from shelters and 1 one dog that even the rescue refused to take back (they lied to me about the dog, then tried to blame me and then flat out refused to take the dog back).

I would take your time and do lots and lots of reading about breeds. You can visit dog shows to see the dogs in person. Visit the breeder you are thinking about so you can see their setup, etc.

With that many kids and their ages I would say breeder or a puppy from the pound. A rescue will most likely not give you a puppy and I absolutely believe that people with kids should start with a puppy. I feel this is the best and safest option for your kids. I love mutts, but I would have to get an 8 week old mutt.

Anyone can register on the AKC web if they have an AKC registered dog so you also have to be careful there. The best way to find a good breeder is through word of mouth. I would research and figure out what breed you are looking for and then call around.

I DO NOT think that a "good" breeder has to have an actual kennel and all that jazz. Yes, you want to steer clear of people that churn out puppies for money and dont take care of them, but you can find wonderful healthy dogs from people that have just had a few litters at their home. I call this "hobby breeding" just like "hobby farming" You need to ask a bunch of questions and visit the place and take a look at the parents. A good breeder will show you anything you want to see and answer any questions you have.

I agree with all of this.

There is no earthly reason to get a labradoodle and especially don't pay a lot of money for a glorified mutt. In my vet tech experience they can take entirely after the lab or entirely after the poodle or land anywhere on the spectrum. They can shed and they can be idiots or they can not shed and be quite smart. They can also be very prone to allergies from the lab side.

I also recommend writing down what you and each family member will want and expect from this dog. A year from now is this dog sleeping peacefully at your feet or are you out jogging with it by your side? Is it going everywhere with you in the car or staying home while you run errands? Do you want a dog that is going to need daily exercise? A fetch dog? A couch potato? Care to deal with long haired dogs or short? Are you willing to spend a lot at the vet so that a breed that is likely to have health issues is ok (labs/boxers/pugs/GSD)? Do you have dog experience and TIME so that you can handle a dog that needs training (GSD, bully breeds, some terriers)? Do you mind a dog that is all Dog and tends toward drooling, farting and chewing up everything or do you prefer a more refined animal?

You can find this little individual just about anywhere but unless you have a lot of dog experience I'd be careful at the shelter or a rescue. Bully traits may be hard to sort from lab traits in a pup and there is a big difference between the two when they're grown.

Sounds like you're thinking of smaller dogs? Maybe also consider bostons, westies (West Highland terrier), or a schipperke...a boxer is usually a sweet happy reasonably healthy (but not too bright) dog...an australian shepherd from good COMPANION lines (not working lines-not!) is a wonderful family dog though on the fuzzy side. Golden retrievers are such sweet wonderful dogs but have some potential hip issues and they're fuzzy. A working bred aussie or a border collie has a high likelihood of herding/nipping your kids and tearing things up. A blue heeler can be a handful and tends toward heeling/nipping. The best kid dogs I've seen are good Aussies, golden retrievers, and great pyranees and newfoundland. the latter two are the size of ponies though! Beagles and any hound will be sweet but run away whenever their nose tells them to. Hunting breeds can be good or on the silly/unrefined side and they're almost always high energy right out of the box and it lasts for years.

Cockers are notoriously not good with kids, GSD's are a minefield of potential health and behavior problems, Jack Russells are like adding another 2 year old to the family, labs are everywhere and prone to health issues (allergies/leg issues).... you have to do your homework to get a good one.

This site will give you a lot of personality and health info on each breed and most crosses-I've found it to be pretty accurate.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/searchcategories.htm

I think the best small breed for a busy family is a boston-they're enough dog that dads like them, they're clean, reasonably healthy, and smart. they can do agility or sleep on the couch, whichever you want to do that day. They can overheat and they snore but otherwise pretty darn easy!

I have had terrible experiences with rescues, one very similar to the one above complete with hookworms, bad behavior and biting. The rescue completely misrepresented the dog just to get it placed.

A dog bred two times a year is bred as often as it can be! That's pushing puppy mill status to me-the best breeders I know only breed once a year tops. Breeding takes a toll on mama dogs and their families-breeding twice a year you would just be getting over one litter when you bred for another! (maybe that was a typo? or I'm reading it wrong?)

You certainly do not need to spend more than a few hundred to get a good dog. Price does not necessarily reflect quality.

You find a good breeder by calling area vet clinics and asking their recommendations, asking people who have dogs you like, calling and talking to the breeder, seeing the parent dogs and sibling dogs when possible. My BMC's breeder lived in a trailer house and didn't have a lot of money (nor did she charge more than $350 for a pup) but her dogs were well taken care of, healthy, she was highly recommended by vets and other puppy owners, and she knew the dogs' family lines personally six generations back. Very knowledgable and wide open full of information.

IMHO you should wait a few years until your youngest child is older. Or try to find a dog that you are 95% sure will be ok with your kids.

We have had dogs that have come from a rescue and from a breeder. In my opinion, I think the biggest danger is just reacting too quickly and falling in love with a dog before you have thoroughly done your research. Our first dog came from a rescue and while he was a great family pet, he was an escape artist that would chase cats around the neighborhood and drove our neighbors nuts. We tried everything imaginable to keep him in the yard, but it was futile. Even though the rescue told me he was dropped off and tied to a gate, that didn't ring any bells in my crazy head that it might signal a problem! Instead I thought I was "saving" this poor creature... I was the poor one after trying to contain him in our yard for years!

Dogs pull at your heartstrings, especially puppies. It doesn't matter where they come from! Don't let yourself get sucked in before you are ready!

Our current dogs came from breeders and we were in puppy classes at a reputable kennel right away. We have found that training them ourselves from the beginning is the right choice for our family.

You might look at rescues where the dogs are in foster homes instead of shelters, particularly since this is your first dog. The foster can give you a lot more information about the dog's personality than a shelter usually can, and rescue organizations will be able to work more with you to find a dog that's a good match.

:iagree: We did this with our recent pooch and we are happy happy happy! She was spot on with his personality, right down to recommending we buy him a stuffed lovie and to NOT take him if we planned on kenneling him at night. He wasn't used to sleeping alone or in a doggie bed. He thinks he's a person and would be deeply offended.

We didn't. He sleeps with us. Everyone's happy.

She was also very accurate about his potty training. I didn't want a doggie that needed more training. I wanted this to be a non issue. It is. He's very good about using the outdoors for his business.

Reputable breeders through AKC web.

This does NOT mean they are reputable breeders. Lots of puppy millers and really horrible backyard breeders register their dogs through the AKC. It's not a "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval."

The AKC website will direct you to the parent club of the breed, which should have a list of breeders. Some reputable, some maybe not. Look for a regional affiliate club of your breed, get to know some people, ask around.

Regardless of how you find a breeder, ask for health clearances. Not just that the tests have been done, but that the breeding pair have PASSED them. You can find lists of what health tests the parent club recommends/requires at the CHIC site. It will be different for every breed, depending upon the health issues that the breed faces.

astrid

This does NOT mean they are reputable breeders. Lots of puppy millers and really horrible backyard breeders register their dogs through the AKC. It's not a "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval."

The AKC website will direct you to the parent club of the breed, which should have a list of breeders. Some reputable, some maybe not. Look for a regional affiliate club of your breed, get to know some people, ask around.

Regardless of how you find a breeder, ask for health clearances. Not just that the tests have been done, but that the breeding pair have PASSED them. You can find lists of what health tests the parent club recommends/requires at the CHIC site. It will be different for every breed, depending upon the health issues that the breed faces.

astrid

"Reputable" breeders. :glare::glare:

If there are so many reputable breeders out there, why are there so many darn labrador breeders??? I can't throw a stick at our local shelter without 1000 mixed breed labs running after it.

I wish I still believed in reputable breeders and I know one GOOD breeder (Leonberger) IRL but in reality, I doubt there are that many reputable breeders out there.

We adopted a shelter dog 4 months ago and ADORE him. We took him on a 5 miles hike this morning and ran him through some agility stuff and he was amazing. He's around 1 year old and just an absolute ball of nutty love.

I think it totally depends upon what your family is looking for. This time around, I wanted a family dog to knock around with the kids all day. Next dog, DH wants a purebred showhorse.

The whole, "find a reputable breeder" line of thought makes me laugh because where do people think the shelter dogs come from??? They come from breeders either not educating the people who want to buy their puppies or they come from lazy, stupid breeders who think dog breeding is profitable.

from a reputable breeder, after much research has been don on the type of breed that would most suit your family.

I am whole heartedly against adopting pound dogs. I know it's not a popular or PC stance, but there you go. IME shelter dogs are never as well trained as a puppy you buy from a breeder.

:iagree:

Our dog is a shelter dog. The people who turned him in lied about just about everything. He is quite a bit older than we were told (per the vet) and had clearly never been inside a house before in his life and had no idea what to make of children or family living. We had been told he had been an indoor family dog and was only a little over a year old. He is actually around five according to the vet. He was so poorly 'socialized' he didn't know what to make of a dog treat. He has been aggressive and nipped my son. He growls and barks at every little thing that is unfamiliar because he feels threatened. And a LOT is unfamiliar to him.

It has taken a LOT of work to get to the point where we aren't determined to return him on a daily basis. If we do get another dog, it will be a puppy and NOT from the shelter.

Okay, so it sounds kind of a luck of the draw? We're looking at a small to medium sized dog. Maybe 50lb max. I would prefer non-shedding. I was told by other owners that their bichon frise mix was a non-shedder and so were labradoodles - is this not the case?

Please walk me through this - doing lots of research consists of:

- reading books - I have "On the other end of the leash"

a book on dog types that I can't remember the name of

any others must-have books?

- talking to other dog owners

- checking websites - I did the pet match - up on a website

- went to petfinder and the local city website

Anything else I should do?

Also, I'm reading different opinions on age we should be looking at. Older puppy vs. 8-weeks?

We're prepared to take the time to find the right dog. No hurry. I am thinking of our youngest. Maybe waiting until 2.5 - 3 years. She's around a lot of dogs in our neighborhood and at friends', and hasn't shown any fear.

Just trying to be as informed as I can.

Thanks,

S.

The whole, "find a reputable breeder" line of thought makes me laugh because where do people think the shelter dogs come from??? They come from breeders either not educating the people who want to buy their puppies or they come from lazy, stupid breeders who think dog breeding is profitable.

If I look on petfinder in my area, most of the dogs are mutts, NOT purebred. Granted, they look like a 95% mutt, but mutt nonetheless.

Probably from people that couldn't afford to spay or neuter their dogs.

I've owned bought from a breeder (since I was a little kid)

Scottish Terriers

Collie

Pitbull

Doberman

Lancashire Heeler

Fox Terrier

Apart from the pit, exactly how many of them are at the pound?

"Reputable" breeders. :glare::glare:

If there are so many reputable breeders out there, why are there so many darn labrador breeders??? I can't throw a stick at our local shelter without 1000 mixed breed labs running after it.

I wish I still believed in reputable breeders and I know one GOOD breeder (Leonberger) IRL but in reality, I doubt there are that many reputable breeders out there.

We adopted a shelter dog 4 months ago and ADORE him. We took him on a 5 miles hike this morning and ran him through some agility stuff and he was amazing. He's around 1 year old and just an absolute ball of nutty love.

I think it totally depends upon what your family is looking for. This time around, I wanted a family dog to knock around with the kids all day. Next dog, DH wants a purebred showhorse.

:001_huh: Why are there so many Labs and Lab mixes in shelters? Because John Q. Public does not search out reputable breeders. They are into instant gratification-- I want a puppy NOW, and oh look! There are Lab puppies in the Sunday paper classifieds! Let's call! Better yet, let's get TWO! A boy and a girl! Because if THIS GUY can make big bucks breeding them, so should WE!

Honestly, I've seen people right her on this board write about how their family needs income so they're going to start breeding dogs and selling puppies. Makes me cringe, because there's so much more to breeding dogs than getting one of each sex and then placing a newspaper ad.

I've also seen threads here that say, "Oh! We're getting a puppy, but we're not going to spay her because we want our kids to experience the miracle of birth!" Um, no. Watch a video. Don't bring a litter of dogs into the world, just as a learning experience for your children.

Why are there so many Labs in shelters? Because people don't believe in spaying or neutering their dogs. It's not "macho" to have a dog who's not intact. Intact males roam, and can scent a female in heat miles away. Off they go and sow their wild oats.

Why are there so many Labs in shelters? Because they've been billed for years as such a GREAT family dog. Honestly, they're not. Most are very high energy, shed, have skin allergies and other health issues, and without a TON of exercise can be very destructive. Most of these issues earn them a one-way ticket to the nearest shelter.

Reputable breeders to not sell their puppies through classified ads, and do not breed without a list of puppy buyers all set to go.

My breed club avoided the AKC like the plague for 25 years. With AKC recognition comes revision of governing documents which renders the parent clubs completely unable to enforce breeding regulations. The AKC wants those registration fees, so limit breeding? No way!

Seriously, I could go on and on. But I'll shut up now.

astrid (former president of the Leonberger Club of America, current LCA Show Chair and Breed Columnist for the AKC Gazette)

Labs shed. Poodles don't. So it's the luck of the draw on that one. :001_smile:

Is there a local county shelter you could walk through and look at dogs? Maybe that would help you narrow down what you want your dog to look like.

Good breeders now keep their puppies until 8 weeks. I would run like the devil from anyone who tried to sell me a puppy before that.

I think if this is your first family dog that I would wait until my youngest was closer to 3. Two year olds are so unpredictable and many dogs hate unpredictability.

I know! The dog magazine Whole Dog Journal would be a great place to start researching dog training and ownership.

Okay, so it sounds kind of a luck of the draw? We're looking at a small to medium sized dog. Maybe 50lb max. I would prefer non-shedding. I was told by other owners that their bichon frise mix was a non-shedder and so were labradoodles - is this not the case?

Also, I'm reading different opinions on age we should be looking at. Older puppy vs. 8-weeks?

We're prepared to take the time to find the right dog. No hurry. I am thinking of our youngest. Maybe waiting until 2.5 - 3 years. She's around a lot of dogs in our neighborhood and at friends', and hasn't shown any fear.

Thanks,

S.

An Airedale is about that size and for the most part is non shedding. BUT, they take a firm hand to train.

I have one dog from a breeder and all of the rest of my animals are from rescues and shelters. I will NEVER buy from a breeder again now that I know how many wonderful homeless animals there are out there.

If you want a specific breed, there are rescues out there devoted to each and every breed you can think of. Their job is to rehome dogs who have been abandoned and abused. Many of those dogs are purebreeds that find themselves homeless for one reason or another.

Having said that, my absolute best dogs - who lived the longest and had the best temperaments, have been shelter mutts.

:001_huh: Why are there so many Labs and Lab mixes in shelters? Because John Q. Public does not search out reputable breeders. They are into instant gratification-- I want a puppy NOW, and oh look! There are Lab puppies in the Sunday paper classifieds! Let's call! Better yet, let's get TWO! A boy and a girl! Because if THIS GUY can make big bucks breeding them, so should WE!

Honestly, I've seen people right her on this board write about how their family needs income so they're going to start breeding dogs and selling puppies. Makes me cringe, because there's so much more to breeding dogs than getting one of each sex and then placing a newspaper ad.

I've also seen threads here that say, "Oh! We're getting a puppy, but we're not going to spay her because we want our kids to experience the miracle of birth!" Um, no. Watch a video. Don't bring a litter of dogs into the world, just as a learning experience for your children.

Why are there so many Labs in shelters? Because people don't believe in spaying or neutering their dogs. It's not "macho" to have a dog who's not intact. Intact males roam, and can scent a female in heat miles away. Off they go and sow their wild oats.

Why are there so many Labs in shelters? Because they've been billed for years as such a GREAT family dog. Honestly, they're not. Most are very high energy, shed, have skin allergies and other health issues, and without a TON of exercise can be very destructive. Most of these issues earn them a one-way ticket to the nearest shelter.

Reputable breeders to not sell their puppies through classified ads, and do not breed without a list of puppy buyers all set to go.

My breed club avoided the AKC like the plague for 25 years. With AKC recognition comes revision of governing documents which renders the parent clubs completely unable to enforce breeding regulations. The AKC wants those registration fees, so limit breeding? No way!

Seriously, I could go on and on. But I'll shut up now.

astrid (former president of the Leonberger Club of America, current LCA Show Chair and Breed Columnist for the AKC Gazette)

Astrid, I totally agree with you. The AKC has lost its way and all credibility YEARS ago.

As far as I'm concerned, backyard breeding should be a CRIME. Unless you understand the science of genetics and are willing to contribute a lot of work to improving the genetic lines of the dog breed you have chosen, then I do not think you should be able to breed dogs.

There are a TON of lab breeders out there who are exactly what you described. And those backyard breeders have created a huge problem.

I'm afraid it's rather difficult for someone who is new to the world of dogs to find a "reputable" breeder though.

Crossing off anyone who advertises in a newspaper is a good first step. But how do people know that?

An unfortunately, it's the AKC who is spending the bulk of the money on advertising their breeders.

If you want a specific breed, there are rescues out there devoted to each and every breed you can think of. .

Yes there are. And there are no guarantees as to their temperaments. Many times it's temperament issues that land dogs in shelters. For homes with children, it's something to be aware of.

astrid (who works very hard for our breed rescue....so please don't assume I'm "anti-rescue.")

Ask lots of questions, no matter where you get your dog, including "What are our options if the dog doesn't work out?" ETA: Be very clear what that means for you. Decide before you adopt. For us, it was biting the children or the cats.

Ask around about the reputation of breeder or shelter. I am shocked reading some of the stories of rescue dogs here with hidden behaviors and pressured adoptions. We have volunteered with and/or gone through adoption inquiries with all three of the major shelters in our area, and I can't imagine this happening with those agencies. They are all every clear that they want the dog to be well-matched with a family. Twice when we called, we were told, "We don't think this dog would be a good match for you because ____, but we will keep your information and call you if a dog comes along that will be a good match." (One shelter did call, but we'd already adopted our current dog.)

We liked Puppies for Dummies. It was clear and basic, and we got some good ideas.

Whether you get an young pup or an older one is totally up to you. We were happy with an older pup, even though we missed out of some of the cuteness, because he was already potty-trained, had been trained to come when he was called, and was learning to be calm indoors. But he was still young enough to grow into our family, plus he still had some of the puppy adorable-ness. :)

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch

Thanks,

S.

Some breeds are known not to shed...others are known for shedding horribly. The luck of the draw does play a role, though. My 6 year old cocker spaniel does not shed...even though his sister did. I have no idea why he doesnt' shed, but he doesn't. At all. I am not complaining! LOL

Some breeds are better with young kids than others, some are harder to train (including house training) than others, etc. Learning all you can about the different breeds that interest you is the best way to go about getting a dog. I would read about all breeds and narrow down a list based on size first. Then, go through those that meet the size requirements and further narrow down your list based on factors like shedding, being compatible with little kids, house training, what it takes to maintain them, etc.

I did a lot of reading before I got my cocker spaniel, but I was stubborn and thought I could make him "better" than the standard. Ha. Ha. Ha. When the books said cockers had high maintenance coats - they weren't lying. When they said cockers were hard to house train and some never do get it 100% - they weren't lying. When they said cockers are prone to skin issues and ear problems...well, you get the idea. In Purebreed dogs, you really have to choose wisely. The breeds are known for certain things and the liklihood that you will get a purebreed that doesn't hold ture to those things is probably one in a million!

The simple truth is that finding a reputable breeder is more work than 99.9% of the puppy-buying public is willing to do.

Instant gratification: newspaper ads, Craig's List, grocery store bulletin boards, flea markets, front-lawn signs. THAT is where most people buy their dogs. And as long as there are ignorant people with money to spend, they'll keep right on breeding.

It's so sad.

Our club finally got sucked into AKC because a group split off from our club, (about 12 dual members) and formed another club, filed the FSS paperwork, and that sealed the deal. There was no way out of the sucking vortex. Our club voted to be the parent club because we have two very active rescue groups, an international health foundation, and over 1,000 members. We were in a much better place to protect the breed and write the standard. Long story...that's the short version. I was president through it all. Gut wrenching.

astrid

Yes there are. And there are no guarantees as to their temperaments. Many times it's temperament issues that land dogs in shelters. For homes with children, it's something to be aware of.

astrid (who works very hard for our breed rescue....so please don't assume I'm "anti-rescue.")

I have a dog from a breeder and I agree...some breeders can be good. And sometimes a puppy is best and you want one with no previous "issues" for a dog that is around little kids. However, having done my homework before getting my dog - research, contact, visits, you name it - and STILL getting burned by my breeder, I am weary of those too. Nothing is a guarantee. I have a very happy, very sweet tempered cocker spaniel who costs me upwards of $300 a month to maintain - he is severely allergic to...everything. He scratches his itchy allergy skin and then he is allergic to the staph on his claws and get staph infections all over his body. He was on allergy shots for a long time (not cheap) and did well...then they stopped working. He scratches all.the.time. He eats special food (can't have corn, wheat, venison, potato...and several other things)...again, not cheap. He now uses a med that costs $43 a month PLUS he has to constantly be treated for staph infections - so antibiotics, steroids, creams, baths in special shampoo. But hey...he doesn't shed and he is nice to my kids. :glare: I'm just sayin'...buying from a breeder...even a well researched, highly recommended, has an award from the AKC, well-known in the cocker community...doesn't always mean getting the best dog out there.

Allergies should be in the breed profile for labs and cockers-they are the top two for allergy-prone the last time I looked.

As I said before, IME you can find a good dog at the shelter or from a breeder, you just need to know what you want from the dog. (all those questions I asked...) If you don't know what you're looking for you won't know it when you find it in a half-grown mutt sitting down at the local shelter and you won't know what to ask a breeder.

There are good and bad in the entire mix, breeders, rescues and shelter dogs.

Oh, I know. Ds12 has a selective memory so no unrealistic expectations there. He has a job walking a neighborhood dog, but I expect I will be doing most of the training. We're just trying to convince dh that he won't have to do anything.

Both adults really need to be ALL IN. That, and you have a two-year-old. You may all be happier if you shelf the idea and wait a few years.

How is your DH going to feel when he has to install the doggy door? Or take the dog to the vet? Or build a fence? Or have to run to the store for dog food? Or fix the things that the dog chews on? You and the kids can't do all of it...

I have to talk my DH into some animals around here but once he's in, he's all in and has no problems with any of his inevitable involvement.

Just be sure you're not signing up for a whole lot of "I told you we didn't need a dog" arguments!