Menu

AoPS Prealgebra book

Is anyone here switching from Saxon or doing a 2nd year od pre-algebra? I'm curious how it goes as I have a 5th grader doing Saxon pre-algebra this year and thought perhaps we would double up and do AOPS pre-algebra next year. But looking at the pre-test and post-test, I'm not sure it would be worthwhile. How challenging is AOPS? Brownie

We might be having a second go at prealgebra with AoPS. I am really impressed with the samples and truly believe that this particular prealgebra book is just what my son needs.

OK good...sounds like from the reviews that my plan to do 2 years of pre-algebra, Saxon 1st then AOPs should be fine. DS needs another year of confidence building. We left Singapore for Saxon just last November and I'm not ready to jump ship and torture him yet again. Like others have said, I would prefer a gentler intro to AoPS with material he is already somewhat familiar with. He could place into it now but I think it would make us both crazy. Brownie

Ds began Prealgebra late yesterday evening & loved it. He copied down all the problems on Addition in the first part of Chapter One, while I was doing something else. (You can see these pages on the AoPS website.)

Then we read the chapter intro together, then he did the problems (we discussed as he did them). He loved that the problems were not about computation, but about seeing patterns. I reminded him that the patterns were decodable because of the commutative and associative properties. He also liked that there were 'proofs' for these properties.

I explained to him that it was important to read the explanations to the problems, even though he had got them right, and he did the reading.

Then he did the addition problems at the end of the section. He just put down the answer with no details, because he "saw" the answer. Patient (for now) mom explained how crucial it is to practice writing the steps, because this will be necessary for harder problems.

We also enjoyed the "24game" puzzles at the head of each chapter.

Gah.

I succumbed.

Me too :tongue_smilie:. Late last night. When my younger kids were saying goodnight, they looked at the samples and pre-test I had printed out. About the pre-test, one of them growled at the long division with the double-digit divisor and then spontaneously started computing the negative number problems (despite having never been taught about negative numbers). He was all excited - his face just lit up. Math joy. I showed the other one the sample on equations (the very simple example that he could easily do, x + something = something), and he was asking if he could homeschool :D (I'm planning on keeping them in school until next fall, for 4th, but I've been struggling as to whether that is the right decision for them and whether they'll even want to hs). So, I decided I'll need this book for them eventually, even if dd doesn't end up liking it, though I think she just might! I don't know when I'd start it though - we have to see how the next few weeks go, and I'm sure I'll be doing at least some of MM6 with her first. I'm so tempted to give her the pre-test (LOL I'm tempted to give the boys the pre-test but I have to wait).

Truthfully, I think I bought it for me (my inner 12yo self). :001_wub:

I'm using the AoPS books for myself to re-learn math. I made it through Calculus in high school only because dh-to-be tutored me through it; and now he's bringing me through Algebra and on up with our AoPS books so I can actually understand the math, rather than just memorizing "what you do to a problem that looks like this" for the test.

The bonus to really understanding the math is that I can teach it much more effectively. Often the confusions dd has are the same ones I've had!

It's not a curriculum, technically, but you do know about AoPS's Kitchen Table Math series for early elementary, right?

Your ds may not need it, but I thought I'd put it out there just in case. :)

Thank you. I am aware of it (sort of). I've only see the online previews, and liked what I've seen. Our math plates are sort of full and I've resisted pulling the trigger on another math series. But I have been very tempted.

Bill

Just do it, Bill. Why the heck not?

Mine (ours? Ds'?) arrived today. All day rain gave me time to read. Laughed when I opened it and saw "24", one of our favorite games.

My DS9 will be using this. He finished SM 6A this spring and has been monkeying with other stuff this summer (esp. the word problems and the IP). I'm trying to figure out if he needs to finish 6B before he launches. There are many awesome problems in 6B (esp. the word problems and the IP) , but not sure if he really needs to finish. Pre-test in the AM.

DS11 is also doing pre-algebra this year, but in school. The text they have looks gloomy. It's his choice, and a carefully considered one, but there we go.

Edited by yellowperch

Got mine today! Haven't had a chance to do more than glance at it, but I will tomorrow. Hoping this works for DD - she loves math, thinks about this stuff, but not sure it's going to work as a self-teaching text at least for now - she's not big on a lot of wordiness with her math, and it's a fight to get her to read directions carefully. But, I think if I do it with her it may work. We'll find out tomorrow! :-)

I got my copy yesterday, right before taking the kids to the orthodontist, so I cozied up with the book in the waiting room.

Now this is how prealgebra should be! It's not just a review of arithmetic with a bit of algebra tacked on. It assumes that kids know how to calculate and takes it to the next level, a level that I've never seen approached in a prealgebra text.

We were going to use Jacobs Algebra this year, going at half pace. I was excited about it, as Jacobs was my first algebra love. But AoPS is the direction we need to go, even though it means that I won't be able to teach him math for as long.

We start in two weeks.

Just do it, Bill. Why the heck not?

Mine (ours? Ds'?) arrived today. All day rain gave me time to read. Laughed when I opened it and saw "24", one of our favorite games.

My DS9 will be using this. He finished SM 6A this spring and has been monkeying with other stuff this summer (esp. the word problems and the IP). I'm trying to figure out if he needs to finish 6B before he launches. There are many awesome problems in 6B (esp. the word problems and the IP) , but not sure if he really needs to finish. Pre-test in the AM.

DS11 is also doing pre-algebra this year, but in school. The text they have looks gloomy. It's his choice, and a carefully considered one, but there we go.

What did you get, Kitchen Table Math or the Pre-Algebra book?

Bill

I'm using the AoPS books for myself to re-learn math. I made it through Calculus in high school only because dh-to-be tutored me through it; and now he's bringing me through Algebra and on up with our AoPS books so I can actually understand the math, rather than just memorizing "what you do to a problem that looks like this" for the test.

The bonus to really understanding the math is that I can teach it much more effectively. Often the confusions dd has are the same ones I've had!

This is what I'm finding so tempting about AOPS Pre-Algebra, but the cheapskate in me is saying that I already have Horizons Pre-Algebra, Singapore Discovering Math 1A/B, Life of Fred Pre-Algebra 1 & 2, and the two Danica McKellar books on my shelf, plus Khan Academy. :tongue_smilie:

This is what I'm finding so tempting about AOPS Pre-Algebra, but the cheapskate in me is saying that I already have Horizons Pre-Algebra, Singapore Discovering Math 1A/B, Life of Fred Pre-Algebra 1 & 2, and the two Danica McKellar books on my shelf, plus Khan Academy. :tongue_smilie:

You can never have too many math books. At least, that is my philosophy...:D

I'm at the same place with my DS. He just started 6B a couple of weeks ago. My current thinking is that I'll have him keep working through it until mid September when we have a week break and go on vacation, then switch over to AOPS when we get back.

I disagree with others here; you can have too many math books. Which is why, when our AoPS Prealgebra arrived yesterday, dd8 led us in solemn procession, with dd4 as acolyte, to the homeschool shelf for removal of the offending Saxon text and the enthronement of AoPS.

I'm hosting a curriculum share next week, and I will be giving away much of my accumulated curricula, including all of the Saxon. Miquon, Key To, and AoPS cover all the bases to our satisfaction.

Aw, come on, Crimson! You know you're going to end up getting AoPS anyhow! Might as well hit that buy button and be done with it! It's more economical to just buy it now.... You'll have more time to use it! :lol:

(I just pushed the buy button myself. It looks, oh, so good! Don't know if my kids would do well with it, but I'd sure love to work through it! :) )

Just did the first lesson of this with DD! We read the intro & Chapter 1.1 Properties of Arithemetic and Chapter 1.2 Addition out loud together while lying on my bed (we believe in being comfortable homeschoolers :) )

When she couldn't solve the first four 24 cards in 10 seconds or less, she started whining. This is one of THE problems at our house, most math up until now has been simple enough that she can figure it out TOO quick, so now she expects ALL math to be solvable in 10 seconds or less. Which is WHY I want to switch to AoPS, so that she can get over herself ;) Anyway, she started whining, and I said, well, not everything can be solved right away, let's spend some time thinking about it, let's spend five minutes on these. It was five minutes of whine and cry and fuss, BUT! When the five minutes was up, we went on to reading. I got about a page and a half into the lesson when she suddenly exclaimed, Mom, Mom, turn back, I figured one out!! So we flip back, and she actually DIDN'T have a solution, but we spend another five minutes talking about the first problem, and she tried several strategies to figure it out. Yay!!

Next, we went on to the addition portion. She solved the problems easily, but instead of rearranging numbers to make the solving easier, she did everything the long way. And then didn't want to read the solutions since she had the actual answers right!! :) (This is why she doesn't get to do this independently yet!) When we read the part where it explained how to rearrange numbers to make it easier, she scowled and announced that she LIKED doing things the hard way!!! (ROFL!!) But, when we got to the section exercises, she was very excited to jump in and rearrange numbers to do it the easy way.

In short, it worked great. She's still working on a lot of maturity issues, obviously, but I think these is enough interest in here to keep her going with it. I think this is going to work out - yay!!! :)

I am trying to figure out whether this would fit well after Saxon 8/7 and before Jacobs Algebra, or to just do AoPS Algebra after Jacobs. Please keep the reviews coming as you begin this course. :)

We went straight from Saxon8/7 to AoPS Intro to Algebra.

(Saxon is dry as dust but does teach enough prealgebra to be ready for AoPS. Of course, had the prealgebra book been available, we woudl ahve skipped Saxon 8/7 and used that instead)

We've been doing it since Tuesday & so far so good! This is our second run through pre-algebra, having sailed through Saxon Algebra 1/2 last year, and I am surprised at how MUCH more in depth this is - even I am learning a LOT. DD gets a little frustrated with it because she's never had to do math that was challenging for her before, but she likes what she is learning.

And so it arrived, unceremoniously, while I was out enduring an irritating Saturday afternoon trip to Costco (yes I know better than to go there on a Saturday, but my phone died and I could wait no more, and at least I was alone). Someone opened the package and left it on the counter.

I just skimmed the first couple chapters, and I can only hope dd loves it as much as I do. It's hard to say what she'll think about it, particularly after the first chapter or so, when it appears (at first glance) to get more difficult. I love the plain language - not informal, but potentially easier to read than an older textbook. Or, maybe it's the way things are explained that seems different. Is that my imagination, or do others agree, about the language?

I thought I read someplace that AoPS textbooks were written for math-talented students. I'm curious about how this lovely book would do for a struggling student - if anyone tries this with a student whom they perceived as more of a math struggle-r at the start, let us all know. For that matter, I can't wait to hear updates from any of you starting this now :)

okay, so I just bought Jacobs, and am comparing TOCs. I know nothing about higher math,

but what about functions? AoPS ( nor Chalkdust ) PreAlgebra have anything on functions. Are they not considered important? or to have been covered,, or coming later?

thoughts?

And pacing for AoPS. An average of 3 pages a day gives it done in 180 days. how are y'all going to pace it? ( OBVIOUSLY some sections go faster than others,,, so how to pace?) an hour of math a day?

thanks

Christine in al

I realize it is extremely new....but has anyone compared the AOPS Prealg toc/text with the CD prealg toc/text? I realize they approach math differently so it may not be possible to compare apples to apples. The tocs of both programs look dissimilar to each other in some regards. I am completely unfamiliar with the AOPS methodology.

The AOPS prealg samples look fabulous. I used CD prealg/alg with older dc but I am willing to branch out with my next dd when the time comes. The AOPS samples look wordy -- something I am not accustomed to. Dd may appreciate that conversational/wordy style of the text rather than the brevity of the CD text (which appears rather boring compared to the AOPS samples). I should probably just buy the prealg text....

I look forward to reading your AOPS success stories here.

I called AOPS months ago and asked the author to explain his approach regarding 'discovery' math. He said he hadn't heard that term before. I giggled...since it is used here often when folks describe AOPS.

Edited by Beth in SW WA
typo