Menu

sports suggestions, please

My daughter is 11 yo (well she will be in September). She's always been involved in gymnastics, training up to 20 hours a week. She quit gym at the beginning of the summer and spent her time at the pool, doing swimming, diving, synchronized swimming, swim meets, relays, etc...

Now fall is coming. That summer pool will close, and she will have nothing to do to get her out of the house. Doing sports is mandatory in our family, for the health aspect and the social aspect. It does not have to be competitive, but it needs to be 3 times a week - which usually implies competitive. That was a family decision we took years ago, and we still feel comfortable with it. So now I have to replace gym with something else. Each time my daughter tries a sport, she's being scouted to go competitive anyway.

I took her to cheerleading, feeling it was similar to gym. She said no, after trying it once. She inquired about winter swimming (that's swimming in an indoor pool during the winter time) but it's 4 times a week and she doesn't want that. It's also highly competitive, and she doesn't want that either. We looked into winter synchro, but she hated the experience of the gel in her hair and strong make-up on her face, and is no longer interested. She's too tiny and too quiet to survive water polo. We can't afford ice skating. Even at the lower level of competitions, it's too expensive for us, and knowing my daughter, she will get selected and pushed hard in ice skating. She refuses all team sports, so hockey is out, so is volleyball, soccer and water polo (see above). She says she wants karate (cause that's what I do) but I know she doesn't have the maturity for it. I have taught kids in the past, and it's my belief it's wasted money until they mature a bit. On the other hand, she got pre-selected for diving team, and she's currently attending diving pre-season training camp. She comes out of a dive with a big smile on her face, but tells me she doesn't like diving. :confused:

We live in a privileged area and do have lots offered to us. However, sometimes, it's just too far. Rythmic gymnastics is such a case, it's too far. So is Tumbling and trampoline and circus training. Ballet is too tame for her. But modern dance is too "b*tchy" (the girls we have around here are out of this world!) She tried horseback riding, but she couldn't even stay in the stable due to allergies and asthma.

So what sports am I not thinking of?

How about tennis or fencing?

Does it have to be an organized sport? Would you consider letting her take up running on her own? You could run a 5k race in our area every weekend. Some of the running stores also do running teams or pace teams if you want her to get out of the house at a regular time. If your local running store doesn't have a teen team, you might be able to convince them to start a group for teens.

Our local rock climbing place has age-based teams. Do you have anything like that?

How about tennis or fencing?

Does it have to be an organized sport?

Organised sports answer our need for the social aspect. Running on one's own is not very social, even if it's good exercise. And I wouldn't let her run alone anyway, at least not yet. We've had one too many unsolved murders in this area - always female runners - even though we're a usually very safe neighbourhood.

I can look for running teams, that's definitely something I didn't consider. I don't see my daughter as a runner, but it's worth considering at least. Thank you for the suggestion!

As for fencing, it's one of those sports that's too far for us. I would consider letting her try it next summer when the driving is easy, and if she develops a passion, we might be more inclined to sign up for the year.

She's interested in karate, so I'd have her try it, even if she doesn't seem mature enough right now. Sometimes a love of karate actually builds their maturity as they strive to compete at a higher level and realize they have to leave their immaturity behind.

There isn't much time left for this year, but you could also have her try golf or kayaking.

I'd let her go with karate if that's what she's interested in.

My daughter takes a weekly "Judo" class at the Y (the Y calls it "Judo" but according to the Sensei it hasn't been strictly a Judo class in a long time, they do mixed martial arts including Judo and Karate). Anyway, she's almost 11, too, and she absolutely loves it. I think it's great for exercise, confidence building, fun, etc.

I really do not see her in karate, at least for another extra year or so. I've started training again, and we have kids in the class. I know they can take the class, but it's not a fit for my daughter. She only wants to take it so she can kick her brother harder. There's no way she's starting karate this year (also she would be in my class, and I would not be kind to her - I know myself ;-)

Golf and kayaking are not sports she can do in the winter. She's actually pretty good at golf in the summer time, but it's not something she wants to keep going more than once or twice per summer.

Rock climbing, I know there's a place or two in town that offers indoor rock climbing, and she really loves it. I'll check if there's something somewhat nearby. Good suggestion! Live would be simpler if she could just say she enjoys diving. Sigh... Why do kids come with a brain of their own!?? ! :001_huh: :glare:

The older boys both really enjoy tennis, so you might want to check into that. Numero uno is running cross-country and hates it with a passion. I've told him to finish up the season and then he can switch to something else. Like your family, sports are NOT an option here.

Track and field sports (high jump, long jump, vault etc... ) are very popular with mine, though there is nowhere we can do them year round, just one camp in the summer, but if you can find a trainer/team, she might like that.

Skating might still be a possibility if you simply determine that she will not compete. US Figure Skating has a Basic Skills program (group skating lessons) which she could begin with. It also sponsors a test system for Moves in the Field, Freestyle, Dance, and Pairs. She could work with a coach to master the skills, take the official tests, and receive a certificate for each test passed. It might give her a nice sense of progression and accomplishment, even without competing. Just a thought.

Bowling? While there is a "team" you're not specifically bound by other people's cooperation. KWIM? You "compete" individually - you aren't bound by someone else having to pass to you. It's less physical than the sports she's been doing, but it's probably more social than others.

You could see if a rink near you offers speed skating.

Do you have a nearby sports centre that offers indoor tennis or squash in the winter?

Archery?

Do you have Young Champions in your area? They offer martial arts, cheer/pom, and hip-hop dance programs that are all level based and somewhat competitive, but tend to be lower pressure than similar programs through private gyms, with a combination of age-level and skill level placement.

What about indoor rock climbing? A lot of kids really love it. Very confidence building and an incredible workout.

I was just going to suggest that. Dd started doing it one day a week when I messed up her soccer registration. She fell in love with it, climbs 2 - 3 days a week for 2 - 3 hours a time and does competitions. She is trying out for the advanced team, which will get her more intensive coaching. It is a workout. She is tired and hungry when she comes home. (The benefit for me is that I stay and climb while she is there and I get a great workout as well.

Well, I really liked fencing and that was going to be my first suggestion ... then I saw it was too far LOL. It's nice because most places have open gym, and once you get to know people you can set up "play date" type gatherings with people closer to you (assuming you have your own equipment).

What about a different martial art - maybe judo? muay thai? jujitsu? Something more physically active than karate where her immaturity might not be as noticeable. Muay thai she could also train at home - so she could keep up the three-days-per-week thing, with 1-2 being a class and the other(s) a home training session.

Rock climbing was another good idea. I also liked the ping pong suggestion - I love ping pong!

What about raquetball? It's fast-paced and -at least around here- is pretty easily accommodated. Most gyms have courts, if the cities do not, and open games are easy to come by. It's individual, but still social.

both my local running store and the local running club offer youth running programs. You might check those out.

She could also take a variety of dance classes. We did that one year when dd was much younger and had decided field hockey, lacrosse and club swimming were out. She during one year she took modern, tap, and ballet. She also took sample classes of hip hop, jazz and ballroom. She decided to focus on ballet by the end of the year and stuck with that for several years (doing up to five classes a week and taking pointe).

If she/you want 3 times a week. Would it be possible to do one activity twice a week, another once a week. With once a week you are likely not to be competitive.

I know that in Canada (:p Sorry, but in many ways Quebec is different then the rest of Canada :)) are stores called, "The Running Room" and "Runner's Choice" that offer running groups. The one near us has a few kids age 9+ that run. Most of the groups are free, no sign up needed. Usually it is large groups of runners so no runner runs alone.

My boys are younger then your daughter. But I try to do 'sports' three times a week. But I only have them do each sport once a week.

Track and field sports (high jump, long jump, vault etc... ) are very popular with mine, though there is nowhere we can do them year round, just one camp in the summer, but if you can find a trainer/team, she might like that.

I was going to suggest the track and field sports. I have cousins who trained in gymnastics at a high level during their younger years, and then switched to track & field as teenagers. The core muscles and skills they developed with gymnastics totally propelled them in track and field. It progressed to full four-year scholorships at major universities. They are always crediting their gymnastic background to their excellence in track and field. (Specifically, pole vaulting, hurdles, and jumping.)

Would it be possible to do one activity twice a week, another once a week. With once a week you are likely not to be competitive.

Well it's possible, but it wouldn't meet one of our goals, which is the social aspect of being part of a team and seeing the same kids on a regular basis. This is a very social girl, and being part of a team is the easiest way for a homeschool kid *in our area* to develop friendships. Everything else we tried, the schooled kids stayed within their schooled friendships and were not open to outsiders.

It sounds like she may be really doesn't want the competitiveness and intensity of being on some kind of team. Can she do some kind of sport just for recreation and there could be another social outlet?
Not really, she won't get the same kind of interaction, at least based on what we've seen so far in the area. Even theatre kids don't accept outsiders easily. They tend to be very school oriented. If you're not in their school, you're out. Sport kids come from a variety of schools, so they don't clique as much. So far it's been our experience that competitive teams are the best way for my girl to get the social experience she enjoys.

I checked out rock climbing, and it's too far to be done on a regular basis. We seem to have great climbing places though. But I won't drive 45 minutes on a regular basis each way, in heavy traffic, for that activity.

Archery?

Do you have a community center nearby that might have something going on? When I was in high school our cc had a badminton league! A friend and I went but, um . . . they were too competitive for us. Sort of along the lines of how you play ping-pong at home vs how they play in the Olympics. :tongue_smilie: Seriously, we were sore the next day.

Soccer/Indoor soccer

Hockey

That's all I can think of. I'm not very sports-minded.

Cross Fit Kids!!!! It is a group based fitness workout...many ex gymnasts enjoy it because they use skills and body positions that are similar to gymnastics. Also it is made to keep people in shape across sports so she could do it in the winter and then go back to summer swimming ect.

Why did she leave gymnastics? Was there something about it in particular, or was she just sort of burned out?

I'd lean towards the winter swimming, even if it's four times a week, or diving. Is there a way to only do it three times a week? A less competitive team or something?

What about a different martial art? Aikido or something? I know 10 is often not mature enough for many martial art places, but I've known some quite good (not belt factory) places that have a kid minded sensei and manage to be both kid friendly and developmentally appropriate. Especially since she is so coordinated. I do think that could be a good option, if she is interested.

What about other dance classes? Irish step dance? Tap, jazz, hip hop?

Edited by Terabith

Ballet is too tame for her. But modern dance is too "b*tchy" (the girls we have around here are out of this world!)

HipHop? Jazz? Lyrical?

Tap dance?

African? Cardio (perhaps at a gym)? Jazzercise?

There are many kinds of dance, and many studios.

Some is competitive; some not.

Some competitive studios are as you mentioned re modern; some are very supportive.