Menu

8 yo and the shower - how often?

Bug is going to be 8 in just a couple weeks.

He's getting to that 'big boy' stage now and I'm wondering what is the normal/average for how often kids this age shower/bathe.

I'm not sure he needs to shower every day, he doesn't get that stinky/dirty.

Right now he only showers a couple times a week. Is that gross?

(He has very short hair and doesn't get outside nearly enough, if that has any bearing.)

Bug is going to be 8 in just a couple weeks.

He's getting to that 'big boy' stage now and I'm wondering what is the normal/average for how often kids this age shower/bathe.

I'm not sure he needs to shower every day, he doesn't get that stinky/dirty.

(He has very short hair and doesn't get outside nearly enough, if that has any bearing.)

I wouldn't say it is gross. We live in a warm climate and everyone showers every day... Sometimes twice a day. I have a 13, 7, and 1 year old and they all bathe every day. Too much sweating around here not to.

Here it is shower in the morning and bathing during the evening. And the primary skin care routine as well twice a day.

My side of the family has history with difficult skin issues so I train early in life for that to bear them through the teenage years. This is about the age it (acne) starts showing up.

Teeth I'm much, much, much more strict about. My dd has feet that require a lot of work and grooming also.

So ya, I make mine camp out in there more than the average bear I think.

I'm just putting myself out there so you have something to compare the other end to.

I think a couple of times a week is fine before puberty, if he isn't getting much exercise. Personally I'd up the exercise and the showers....

We used to do baths every night as part of our bedtime regime - it was a relaxing end to the day, rather than a hygiene need.

Laura

I have my 8 year old shower about every other day, unless he's gotten sweaty and dirty outside. Sometimes he goes a couple of days without a shower, if we've been busy or out late, but I don't notice any difference on those days. He is too young to get very stinky, very fast. Once he gets into puberty, though, we'll up the showers to daily!

Nah, sounds fine - I assume he'd have extras if he was all over mud or especially stinky. ;)

When my siblings and I were kids, "bath night" was Sunday. Yep, one good scrubbing at the end of each week. :thumbup:

Pretty much, most people can probably get away with every other day. Obviously, there are lots of exceptions, esp with smelly preteens sweating with sports or outside play. My kids (excluding the 6month old who is bathed in kitchen sink) usually get showers during the week with baths on Sunday morning (our Christian meeting is at 1pm so we can have a slow morning).

My kid's are only 2-3 times each week. If they've been sweating or dirty, then they definitely shower that day. The rest of the week, they just wipe down with warm cloth & a little soap. Also, I have the wet toddler wipes for the bathroom so they're getting good and clean down there when they go.:)

Thanks everyone. Makes me feel better.

And yes, I'm trying to up the exercise (and then the showers!). We live in a place where he can't go outside at all and we were in a car accident the beginning of the summer which has laid me up. I can't stand for longer than about 15 minutes without pain. Kind of shot the summer of health & exercise I was planning.

I have not seen any signs of puberty yet (so thankful for this)!

The topic came up when he had a shower Friday night and all we did was go to church yesterday. Then today he's headed to summer camp for 4 days. DH suggested he needed another shower before he goes - but he's definitely not dirty. Not to mention he's just going to get dirtier. But they'll also have him shower everyday. Soo... it got me thinking.

Anyways, thanks!