Menu

VIP Question about cat litter boxes...

Twice. Had four, now three cats. They all share a box. It has a lid, and sits in a bigger tray that also holds litter (so they can be inside a box or not depending on the cat.) Since I have no sense of smell, I clean the box.

Our vet wants us to have separate litter boxes but we just do not have room and the cats don't seem to care.

Edited by JFSinIL

(embarassment) uh...once a week?

We used to be this way until I assigned the chore to the kids. Now the two older kids each scoop a box as part of their morning chores. We have three cats and two boxes. There's a box in the garage in case a cat gets trapped in there and needs it. They go outside a lot during the summer.

One 11 year old male (neutered) cat, one big litter box. We dump the whole thing out and put in fresh about every 6 days. We use the pressed sawdust litter and I think the urine smell isn't as bad...for human noses anyway ;)

That being said, we did go through a spell where he was peeing on the carpet, first time ever. We don't know why but he hasn't done it for 3 ish months, I hope that is now over!

One 11 year old male (neutered) cat, one big litter box. We dump the whole thing out and put in fresh about every 6 days.

This is me. Except the cat is 10. ;) I know I should do it more but I honestly forget. I'm seriously thinking of giving this to the kids to do so that it gets done more often. The good thing is that the cat has never once gone on the floor (I know some cats will if their box is bad.)

Once every 1-2 days; more frequently if I can remember to do it. (Guess what I'll be doing after I type this post?)

We have four cats, including the foster-kitten-who-will-likely-never-leave-because-we-love-him-too-much, and lately, I've only used one box for the four (I know, I know!), which seems to work okay.

What I want to know is how do you all prevent the litter from tracking everywhere? Our cats' litter box is in the laundry room, which is adjacent to the master bathroom. There is very little that can ruin how nice it feels after an invigorating morning shower than to step off the bath mt and feel the litter that's been tracked everywhere. I *do* sweep all the time, but still...that stuff must obey some magnetic force which causes it to spread out onto the floor.

Uuummm....I don't do once a day. Are we supposed to? Probably more like every other day. Sometimes every third day. We have one box and two cats. We've never had a problem with them going on the floor. If we did, I would probably be more diligent about it.

ETA: We use Fresh Step and don't have an odor problem. The cat litter box is in our bedroom. Another reason why I don't scoop that often. Okay, I'm just trying to find excuses here. Thinking I will have to do this more often.

Edited by DesertDweller

Uuummm....I don't do once a day. Are we supposed to? Probably more like every other day. Sometimes every third day. We have one box and two cats. We've never had a problem with them going on the floor. If we did, I would probably be more diligent about it.

ETA: We use Fresh Step and don't have an odor problem. The cat litter box is in our bedroom. Another reason why I don't scoop that often. Okay, I'm just trying to find excuses here. Thinking I will have to do this more often.

Yes, it is recommend to scoop/clean the litterboxes at least once a day. Monitoring urine/stool output is one of the first things an owner can do to watch their pets health and notice potential problems. it also normally leads to less behavioral issues and potential health issues that can happen due to a unclean litterbox.

Remember these critters are walking in their own urine and stool and then climbing into bed with us, we want their feet as clean as possible:D

Twice a day (has been my daughter's job since she turned 6). Was three cats, now two, indoor only, two boxes, Everclean scoopable litter seems to control odor the best for us.

We tried the automatic litter box, but it freaked out one of the cats. I'm considering the Omega Paws one to help with all the dust and tracking, but my husband is skeptical. Anyone used one of these?

Yes, it is recommend to scoop/clean the litterboxes at least once a day. Monitoring urine/stool output is one of the first things an owner can do to watch their pets health and notice potential problems. it also normally leads to less behavioral issues and potential health issues that can happen due to a unclean litterbox.

Remember these critters are walking in their own urine and stool and then climbing into bed with us, we want their feet as clean as possible:D

Currently, I am scooping about 3 times a day. We keep it in our bedroom too, but we are on the first floor and i'm constantly passing by, so it's easy to just pop in and take care of it.

The reason I'm asking is because I keep a small trash can near the litter box. However, I would like to do away with it, because every once in a while our cocker spaniel will raid it and eat the cat's feces. :rolleyes: It is a serious issue especially since he has had some digestive issues in the past few months.

So, I'm not really sure how I will handle scooping w/o that trash can there. Guess I'll have to use two bags a day and take them outside right away. Anyone have any other ideas? TIA

Shannon

PS I'm very impressed with how many responses this has gotten and so quickly. I've had threads with more serious issues get NO responses!

Currently, I am scooping about 3 times a day. We keep it in our bedroom too, but we are on the first floor and i'm constantly passing by, so it's easy to just pop in and take care of it.

The reason I'm asking is because I keep a small trash can near the litter box. However, I would like to do away with it, because every once in a while our cocker spaniel will raid it and eat the cat's feces. :rolleyes: It is a serious issue especially since he has had some digestive issues in the past few months.

So, I'm not really sure how I will handle scooping w/o that trash can there. Guess I'll have to use two bags a day and take them outside right away. Anyone have any other ideas? TIA

Shannon

PS I'm very impressed with how many responses this has gotten and so quickly. I've had threads with more serious issues get NO responses!

Can you cover the trash can with a tighter lid to keep the dog out? THe other thought is to put a puppy gate in the doorway raised up slightly so the cat can go over or under but the dog cannot.

Also self cleaning litterboxes do work well for keeping out dogs.

I scoop a lot. Right after I get up in the morning I scoop, before going to bed I scoop. And many times in between...

One of my cats is diabetic so I make sure to keep track of the size of her "clumps" in the box to make sure she isn't urinating too much. If I catch her in the act I will occasionally test her for ketones, too.

Sometimes I even sing or hum to myself: "All day, all night, Marianne. Down by the seaside sifting sand..." :D