Menu

Texas-day 30 of over 100 temps. . .

Do you know where to find a record of what the high temps have been this year? I found that July 2011 (in Dallas) had 30 days over 100. I know there were some 100+ days in June too, but I can't find a record anywhere.

The heat is sucking the life out of me. :tongue_smilie: Our A/C can't even get the house as cold as I would like it to be.

They quote the records every. single. night. on the 10 o'clock news here.

If I go to the news station website and click on the "weather blog" there is lots of information about weather records, patterns, and such. Do you have something like that you can look at?

Have you ever seen a place where they're so perpetually excited about the weather? "Here's Mark Murray with TRIPLE!!! DOPPLER!!! RADAR!!!" The weather guys are just about jumping out of their skins when there's the prospect of some serious front movement or a new breaking of a record.

When we lived a couple years in upstate New York, for my sins, it was disorienting to watch the evening news and have only a brief mention of the weather forecast, and nothing at all about high school football. :confused:

Have you ever seen a place where they're so perpetually excited about the weather? "Here's Mark Murray with TRIPLE!!! DOPPLER!!! RADAR!!!" The weather guys are just about jumping out of their skins when there's the prospect of some serious front movement or a new breaking of a record.

When we lived a couple years in upstate New York, for my sins, it was disorienting to watch the evening news and have only a brief mention of the weather forecast, and nothing at all about high school football. :confused:

That's funny. When we lived in GA, the weathermen would get SO EXCITED about tropical storms. They would break in every hour to talk about it. But we lived almost at the AL border - so for our area it was a glorified rainstorm. But they loved to talk about it. I would get so aggravated with them. They were trying to make news.

clean,clean,clean...not so much fun, but very productive (we do swim some in the evenings)

One thing we've done in the past is used our projector to watch movies on the wall in the living room...we popped popcorn and drank cokes just like being at the movies but with all the comforts of home.

I don't remember the science as well as I would like to; however, Houston's proximity to the Gulf probably explains the slightly cooler temperatures (compared with DFW, for example). The Ship Channel brings that water even closer.

We like geckos -- but do prefer them to remain outside. When they get in, we have to rescue them from death at the jaws of the dog.

Among the assorted health annoyances, I have "reverse SAD". So this weather is torture for me.

I know what you mean about "reverse SAD". Summertime blues, reverse of cabin fever, having to stay inside because of the heat instead of cold and snow, that's what I've been having.

I do not like it here from mid-May to early September. Fall and spring are nice, but even winter here is sometimes brutal!

I need a cold climate desperately, but am not slated to live in one. As soon as the temperature rises much above 70 deg. F., I feel bad. Not until the end of October (living here, that is) do I begin to feel like a human being. Depression spikes along with the temperature. The dc joke (with total seriousness), whenever it is overcast and cool, that Mom is going to have a great day !

I know what you mean about "reverse SAD". Summertime blues, reverse of cabin fever, having to stay inside because of the heat instead of cold and snow, that's what I've been having.

I do not like it here from mid-May to early September. Fall and spring are nice, but even winter here is sometimes brutal!

Psychological tip endorsed by the dc: If your car or van has an outside temperature gauge that toggles between Farenheit and Centigrade/Celsius (I'm too lazy to remember when to use one versus the other), keep it set on "foreign style". We all find it deceptively pleasant to glance up and read that it is "only 40 deg." outside !

I'm in DFW as well, and between this heat and being 8 mos pregnant, I have about lost all patience that I had left :lol:

I am so sorry. It was hard enough being 8 mos pregnant last month up here in PA where it was "only" in the 90s. I can't imagine how miserable you must be -- I hope your babymoon is particularly lovely to make up for it!

(And the only saving grace may be that you're not lugging a newborn out in this heat. I've been keeping the baby's carseat in the house when possible, so that the buckles aren't blistering hot, but it's still not pleasant.)

DFW: 32 Days of temps at or above 100 degrees and counting. TX energy grid reached a demand record Monday and it will probably be broken again over the next few days. TX is now in an official energy emergency. The Excessive Heat Warning continues, and Meteorologists predict we could easily pass the 42-day record set back in 1980. The only day that wasn't in the triple digits during July was July 1. DFW also set the record for all time for the warmest low temp at 86 degrees.

DFW: 32 Days of temps at or above 100 degrees and counting. TX energy grid reached a demand record Monday and it will probably be broken again over the next few days. TX is now in an official energy emergency. The Excessive Heat Warning continues, and Meteorologists predict we could easily pass the 42-day record set back in 1980. The only day that wasn't in the triple digits during July was July 1. DFW also set the record for all time for the warmest low temp at 86 degrees.

Sweet Fancy Moses, I think this baby may just melt out of me. Or maybe he'll just "bake" extra fast and come on out :lol:.

I feel your pain about the hot weather but I can't really feel sorry for you. I live in Phoenix, AZ. That's the norm around here in the summer! I keep trying to move and God keeps saying, "Not now." Maybe He'll let me get a summer home elsewhere come next summer! :D

We've started schooling. Sometimes we brave the heat and go to the library. But I, too, am ready for the brisk days of fall . . . if only we had them! :tongue_smilie:

If I go to the news station website and click on the "weather blog" there is lots of information about weather records, patterns, and such. Do you have something like that you can look at?

Thanks. :001_smile: I'll keep poking around.

The last time I lived in DFW (2000) was the year we had over 100 days over 100F. I think that is why we jumped at the opportunity to move away! Maybe Texas just doesn't like me ;).

I have to say Houston is a bit nicer. There is a breeze and the gulf if I really need to escape!

I remember that summer. We were moving back to TX and I flew down here, 8 months pregnant at the end of July and walked through a bunch of construction sites looking for a house to buy.

It sure is nice in February, though!

I feel your pain about the hot weather but I can't really feel sorry for you. I live in Phoenix, AZ. That's the norm around here in the summer! I keep trying to move and God keeps saying, "Not now." Maybe He'll let me get a summer home elsewhere come next summer! :D

We've started schooling. Sometimes we brave the heat and go to the library. But I, too, am ready for the brisk days of fall . . . if only we had them! :tongue_smilie:

It's different in Phoenix, though. I was there one August and we went to the zoo when it was 110*, to a shopping center that wasn't an indoor mall ( we had to walk outside to get to another store), and I'm pretty sure we ate dinner outside. It was hot, but tolerable.

:svengo: for the bolded! That's how my dh felt, though.

When we lived in upstate NY, which I loved, the weather reader said this:

"This is a heat wave, folks. If you remember the definition of a heat wave, it's 3 consecutive days with temps of 90 or above."

Granted, not everyone had a/c, and the humidity could be awful, but 3 days?!:lol:

And, of course, it always got so cool at night.

:lol::lol::lol: That's so true! We watch Jim Spencer and he is like a jumping bean. He gets so excited he can't even sit in his seat properly. When we get tropical storm spray from the Gulf, it's like his own personal Christmas. :lol::lol::lol:

It is nice to see someone who enjoys their job so much.

It's not ten o'clock yet, but I think today is day 50 of triple digit temps. It was 106 degrees today. Not the heat index, that's the temperature. My silly son spent 3 hours playing Ultimate Frisbee tonight. I went to the library, I couldn't even sit and watch. It was too hot.

I am really more of a cold weather person. I find the cold invigorating, and enjoy getting out in it to walk around the block or go to the park. But the heat is the exact opposite. Some days it's a struggle just to check the mail. :tongue_smilie:

Me too. I grew up in MI but have been in TX since 1996. I hate the summers here, but this one is the worst one I can remember.

I remember that summer. We were moving back to TX and I flew down here, 8 months pregnant at the end of July and walked through a bunch of construction sites looking for a house to buy.

It sure is nice in February, though!

Usually. I'm still a bit miffed about the single-digit overnight lows we had a couple of days this past February. We had to stay with our in-laws for a few days because we couldn't keep our house warm enough (it's old, and it's like a sieve--the wind blows right through it) and our pipes froze. It hasn't been a good weather year! :glare:

I agree about the weather dudes. Jim spence will work around the clock it seems when there is a storm brewing. He's so cute.

Btw, you can tour some news stations and it makes a great field trip. We went to news 8 austin. It was fun to see the radar computers they use for tracking and stand in front of the green screen. That weatherman seemed a little bored with the weather that day. We also got to see how they film news segments and talk to a newscaster and producers. Very cool!

"This is a heat wave, folks. If you remember the definition of a heat wave, it's 3 consecutive days with temps of 90 or above."
:D Dh read that and said "We had one of those last night then."

TejasMamacita, I'm with you. Dh and dd15 bike two miles to his office and back each day, and insist it's no problem; but I can't even think about it without feeling faint. Something about youth. Or foolhardiness.

Edited by Sharon in Austin

They are going to "level 2", possibly "level 3" in terms of power grid concerns today.

In the last 20 years, I've lived in Texas, Arizona and back in Texas. The heat of Arizona is easier to function in, but more relentless/predictable.

I'm not terribly heat sensitive, so you won't often hear me complain. Even *I* am feeling it this summer.

Same here. Even at night, the water is so warm, it's not the least bit refreshing. More like swimming in spit.

I love going out to the pool at night in the heat. That is one of my favorite parts of living in TX. My son and I lie on floats and look at the stars. When we lived in CA the water was too cold at night to do that. Our pool water in TX is like a giant bath right now.

I am in Midland and we are running out of water. Between that and the heat aI am ready to move North! I have had it!

I am originally a Northerner, moved here because my DH was from here and wanted to move back.

I am so sorry we did :auto:

I lived in Ft Worth that year, after having just moved there from South Dakota in the fall of 1999... I was stunned that people were watering their HOUSES to keep them from cracking from the heat. :lol: I do remember that summer. It was miserable.

Actually, it's the ground around the house that we water, because when it's dry, dry, dry the ground shifts, and foundations are known to crack because of it. :glare:

Which is so weird, because people don't do that in places like Las Vegas. I guess it's the kind of soil/whatever that we have here. We have soaker hoses all around the foundation of our house, and we water several times a week. Doors are sticking or not closing completely; there's a small crack in one wall. Ugh.

We haven't had measurable rainfall in the Austin area since last October; there have been ocassional rainfalls, but they were in small, specific areas, not the whole region. A double whammy: temps over 100, no rain. We're hurtin' for certain!

Actually, it's the ground around the house that we water, because when it's dry, dry, dry the ground shifts, and foundations are known to crack because of it. :glare:

Which is so weird, because people don't do that in places like Las Vegas. I guess it's the kind of soil/whatever that we have here. We have soaker hoses all around the foundation of our house, and we water several times a week. Doors are sticking or not closing completely; there's a small crack in one wall. Ugh.

We haven't had measurable rainfall in the Austin area since last October; there have been ocassional rainfalls, but they were in small, specific areas, not the whole region. A double whammy: temps over 100, no rain. We're hurtin' for certain!

It's the clay soil that causes the problems. It shrinks or expands drastically, so the only way to keep it stable is to keep the moisture content somewhat even. Ridiculously hard in a place like Dallas.