Menu

Fluid buildup "behind" ear/eardrum...quickest way to get it to

dry up? Need help ASAP! I am 29 weeks pregnant so I cannot take/do just anything. I cannot hear, went to urgent care, was told it's not infected & offered a combo of either Zyrtec or Claritin & Rhinocort nasal spray.

My equilibrium is off & the pressure is horrid. Please help if you can!

Could you try giving up dairy products and see if that helps?

I was having problems a few months ago with congested ears and also dizziness. I was also eating a lot of yogurt at the time. When I stopped all dairy products the problem went away. (Thankfully there are some calcium fortified dairy alternatives that don't taste bad at all. )

The problem is your pregnancy, to be honest. The only thing that's really going to help you is sudafed (the real stuff, kept behind the pharmacy counter) because only a decongestant is going to relieve the symptoms. Call your local pharmacy and ask to speak to a pharmacist. Sudafed is not recommended in pregnancy, but at a certain point it poses much less of a risk. The pharmacist will be able to tell you if you are ok to take it or not.

Other than that, fluids (lots!!!), sleeping with your head slightly elevated, and chewing gum during the day can help a bit.

I'd give the RPh a call first and go from there.

Good luck

Ria

The problem is your pregnancy, to be honest. The only thing that's really going to help you is sudafed (the real stuff, kept behind the pharmacy counter) because only a decongestant is going to relieve the symptoms. Call your local pharmacy and ask to speak to a pharmacist. Sudafed is not recommended in pregnancy, but at a certain point it poses much less of a risk. The pharmacist will be able to tell you if you are ok to take it or not.

Other than that, fluids (lots!!!), sleeping with your head slightly elevated, and chewing gum during the day can help a bit.

I'd give the RPh a call first and go from there.

Good luck

Ria

Sudafed is rated a "C" during pregnancy and therefore not an option for me.

try to stay upright as much as posible, when you sleep, sleep with the bad ear up. I get this frequently but I have stuff dehydrating in the canal and sticking there (snot stuck to the canal) if the fluid moves, just keep it moving. IF it is stuck, I find sniffing steamy water (with vicks vaporiser liquid) helps to rehydrate and get things opened up.

I've also been told horseradish (fresh) will clean out the sinuses.

try to stay upright as much as posible, when you sleep, sleep with the bad ear up. I get this frequently but I have stuff dehydrating in the canal and sticking there (snot stuck to the canal) if the fluid moves, just keep it moving. IF it is stuck, I find sniffing steamy water (with vicks vaporiser liquid) helps to rehydrate and get things opened up.

I've also been told horseradish (fresh) will clean out the sinuses.

isn't that funny,

I was always told to sleep with the bad ear down so it gets really warm.

Eating huge amounts of garlic might help. Steamy water with eucalyptus water can help too.

Chewing gum might give a small amount of assistance to get the fluid moving. but I have always been a bit sceptical about that one.

One thing you can try- and I don't know what, exactly, is wrong with your ear, so this is just a suggestion- is to take a sopping wet washcloth and put it in a glass, then heat that in the microwave until it is steaming hot. Make sure the glass itself isn't really hot, then press the opening over your ear, being sure to keep the glass upright so the hot water doesn't drip into our ear. Stay like that for awhile. The steam and heat will soften things up, and if you press it tightly against the side of your head to form a seal, the suction that forms will help to pull out any pus or other nastiness.

isn't that funny,

I was always told to sleep with the bad ear down so it gets really warm.

Eating huge amounts of garlic might help. Steamy water with eucalyptus water can help too.

Chewing gum might give a small amount of assistance to get the fluid moving. but I have always been a bit sceptical about that one.

I keep the bad ear up to promote drainage AWAY from the canal, towards the nose. I also use a microwave heating pad (made of rice?) on the bad ear.

Isn't hydrogen peroxide supposed to help? Don't quote me on that, though, but I thought I remembered my mom using a mixture of that and rubbing alcohol when I had water in my ear after swimming. Google it first though!

Garlic oil drops may help.

Fwiw, during my third pregnancy, I developed an ear infection on one side, and I couldn't get it to clear up, so I finally went to the doctor (which I rarely do, but I didn't want to let an ear infection go too long during pregnancy). He gave me amoxicillin, which is mild and very safe for pregnancy. It didn't take too long for the infection to clear up, and the fluid started draining shortly -- much better! (And the baby was fine -- he's an extremely healthy almost 3yo now.) So if you do need antibiotics, rest assured that there are safe options.