Menu

Has anybody else had a problem with plain yellow #2 pencils this year?

Oh no! Don't say this. :scared:

I overbought on pencils during a Staples sale 3 years ago and have not had to buy a single pack since. :o Sadly, my supply is dwindling down to the last 3 packs so I'm forced to have to buy some this year. I hope they're not all junk. :001_huh:

Have you tried a few different brands? Or maybe it's that one shipment that got banged around a lot? :confused:

This is why I recently banned all regular pencils from my house. I gathered up every single one I could find and threw them away. I've even offered the dc .25 for each regular pencil they find and bring to me. :tongue_smilie: We have switched over to mechanical pencils. I go ahead and spring for the more expensive ones that I can replace leads and erasers. I love them...no more stopping to sharpen, searching for those stupid little eraser things that fit on the end, and no more little stubs lying around everywhere.:D

This is why I recently banned all regular pencils from my house. I gathered up every single one I could find and threw them away. I've even offered the dc .25 for each regular pencil they find and bring to me. :tongue_smilie: We have switched over to mechanical pencils. I go ahead and spring for the more expensive ones that I can replace leads and erasers. I love them...no more stopping to sharpen, searching for those stupid little eraser things that fit on the end, and no more little stubs lying around everywhere.:D

Would you recommend some brands of mechanical pencils? I'm considering the switch too.

I bought pencils 2 yrs. ago and the lead falls out of them too. It's so frustrating! :glare: I told the kids to stop trying to use them, when the lead falls out, throw them away. We had this problem with more than one brand so I've switched to mechanical pencils. It's seems more wasteful using the mechanical ones but, at least my kids can get through a lesson.

If any of you find a good brand of pencils this year, please let me know.

Thanks.

Denise

Have you tried a few different brands? Or maybe it's that one shipment that got banged around a lot? :confused:

To be honest I am not sure where I got them all from, or if they came from the same place or what. I know when we went out of town to Wal-Mart (its a 1 1/2 hour drive) they had them on sale so I bought a bunch there. Then when we went to Office Max, or Staples (one of the two- its in the same city as walmart) that same day they had them on sale so ofcourse I had to buy them there also :lol:. I also know I bought a ton from Pamida when they had them on sale (and those of you from ultra small rural areas know what Pamida is :D) So the were from one of those 3 stores if that helps ;)

I am considering mechanical pencils as well now. So frustrating. UGH

I have yet to locate a brand of #2 pencil for which the leads do not fall out, and/or for which the leads do not break as a result of sharpening the pencil. :mad:

Price does not always correlate to quality.

Mechanical pencils, however, have their own problems. For some, the lead simply falls out of the barrel, even when one scrupulously employs the correct size of lead.

To be honest I am not sure where I got them all from, or if they came from the same place or what. I know when we went out of town to Wal-Mart (its a 1 1/2 hour drive) they had them on sale so I bought a bunch there. Then when we went to Office Max, or Staples (one of the two- its in the same city as walmart) that same day they had them on sale so ofcourse I had to buy them there also :lol:. I also know I bought a ton from Pamida when they had them on sale (and those of you from ultra small rural areas know what Pamida is :D) So the were from one of those 3 stores if that helps ;)

I am considering mechanical pencils as well now. So frustrating. UGH

I know what Pamida is! I'm going there today!

Anyway, I have noticed the same thing with pencils. You have to make sure you get pencils that were made in the USA. The made in China ones are terrible. I've had pretty good luck with the Ticonderoga brand. (Just ignore me. I just looked on my box of Ticonderoga pencils and they are made in China:tongue_smilie:) But as a general rule, the ones made in USA work better.

My pet peeve is pencil erasers that don't erase!

:iagree: I bought my kids a pack of Smencils for Christmas. It seemed like a cool stocking stuffer. Those things have the worst, WORST erasers! They leave pink blotches all over the paper.

My pet peeve is pencil erasers that don't erase!

Have you tried those "click erasers"? That may be a brand name, it also may have become a generic term (as with "Kleenex"). They are not the "pink crumbly" substance, but the white whatever. (I'm failing with specific language this morning!) At any rate, the white type always have worked well for us. (Nor am I thinking of what used to be called a "gum eraser".) . . . :confused:

Would you recommend some brands of mechanical pencils? I'm considering the switch too.

My favorite is Paper Mate Clear Point 0.7mm. These have a twist up eraser and a click bar on the side to extend the lead. Here they are. This set comes with extra leads and erasers. When you get additional lead and erasers make sure you get the Paper Mate brand because I have had problems when I get a different brand even though it says it's the same size.

I But as a general rule, the ones made in USA work better.

Yes, I am very picky now and will only buy made in the USA pencils. I think my last box of Ticonderoga was made in USA but I could be wrong, they seem to work ok for us though. I definitely no longer buy cheaper brands.

Watch the Ticonderoga! The last box I bought was total JUNK! Everytime we tried to sharpen them the point would break in the sharpener. I'm switching to Black Warrior this year and crossing my fingers. I think my kids press to hard for mechanical pencils.

I like the Ticonderoga ones. We got them at Costco. The lead doesn't break randomly and they erase awesome. I love the sharpness of mechanical pencils, but I hate the children using them for school. Eraser tops don't fit on them and its a pain to refill them and it seems you often have to throw lead away because you get to those little pieces that won't stay in the pencil anymore. We have tried MANY types of mechanical pencils - that is what dh prefers to draw with.

We have had this problem with some of the cute, holiday pencils that we got at Walmart. I used to get those to put in Valentines or as Halloween treats, but I stopped because they were so bad. Now I get the kids decorative pencils from our local teacher store, and they are much better. Of course, they are more expensive since you buy them as singles. We also use the plain number twos with no problem, but I have a big box that i've had for years. I hope I'll be able to find good ones when I need to replace them. I also find the electric sharpener works better on pencils. When the kids use their little manual sharpeners the leads seem to fall out more.

The Mirado Black Warrior pencils (I think made by Papermate) are great. The erasers are real pink pearl erasers, not that stiff stuff that doesn't really erase. The pencils are usually not part of the cheap back-to-school deals, but I don't really care. I stock up on them at Office Max when they have their 20% off everything you can put in this bag sales. I throw away any of the cheap pencils the kids get on holidays--not worth having in the house.

We haven,t had an issue with leads falling out, and I buy my pencils from Walmart. I did have problems with pencils sharpening unevenly, but that was because of my sharpener. My dh got me an awesome sharpener on clearance at Staples. I hated using mechanical pencils in college because they write finer and the leads break too easy.