Menu

Sam's, Costco, or BJ's - what's your preference and why?

Between Sam's and Costco (we don't have a BJs), I prefer Costco. We've had both at one time or another but prefer Costco for the brands that they carried. It's been years since I went to Sam's though. I think they let you have a day pass to go look around. I would take my normal shopping list and compare. Then, see which one would be the best choice for you.

I've had memberships to both Sam's and Costco, and the two are about the same distance apart right now. I prefer Costco. It seems to have more items that I use (organic staples, better produce, and a lot of nice books), the online store is wonderful (especially for printer ink and toner), and it just plain feels "nicer" to me. We have the Costco AMEX card, which I use only at Costco, and during a year, the cash back tends to cover the membership fee.

I don't have BJs, so can't compare them.

Not Sam's because they ripped us. We paid off our card with them and the money "disappeared". I've had to tell creditor after creditor that it had been paid off. One creditor told me that they had bought the debt, know nothing about the account, but are simply trying to collect on it. I told them that they were sold a debt that no longer existed.

We have a Costco & BJ's membership, but not Sam's.

We tend to go to Costco most. It is very close to our home, is nice & clean, carries lots of brands/items we love & they have a great return policy. Also, we usually get our gas at Costco because it is always a bit cheaper, and the Photo lab is great!

We even eat at Costco at times. The food is pretty good and super inexpensive at the little food court. We just love the place! My husband & son love Costco for the samples alone! While I shop, they are going around trying everything. :)

BJ's is not as convenient as Costco, so we don't go as much. For me, BJ's does carry a ton of brands, even more than Costco, but it seems much more cluttered & unorganized at times. The nice thing with BJ's is that you can use manufacturer's coupons along with their own coupons and save quite a bit on your purchases.

Costco has their own coupons too which are great, but you can't stack them like at BJ's.

Overall though, I would pick Costco hands down. Hope this helps! :)

I've had all three memberships. I didn't particularly like BJ's and it has since closed. Sam's is the closest to me, but I drive a longer way to go to Costco. I like their house brands, their return policy is excellent, and the stores are bright and clean. They make a wonderful sheet cake for parties that is inexpensive compared to anywhere else around here. We've been members since it opened in our part of town - close to 16 years.

Costco for us.

We live 15 mins away and it is the most convenient for us. At one time we drove 30-45 mins to one as our dog is on a RX medication that they filled for $4/month. The savings on contacts alone pays for our membership.

I like that they carry some organics and antibiotic/hormone-free items.

They carry a limited selection of things like Hanna Andersson clothing.

The service is great. They have a generous return policy and I have found their CS to be excellent.

We have a membership where we get a percentage of our total purchases back and we always end up making a little extra money.

Like any store, you have to know your prices to determine what is really a deal, and stay away from impulse purchases.

Love Costco.

In my opinion, Sam's and BJ's are pretty much on par with each other. Costco is far superior (for us).

Sam's and BJ's seem to be cheaper for a lot of things, but Costco sells nicer/higher end products.

We love Costco's store brand and love that they have lots of organic/natural items, excellent produce, a food court, a great bakery/catering area, and on, and on, and on. They also have the best return policy I have ever seen anywhere and I have heard they treat their employees very well.

Besides their store, they have tons of things for sale online. They also sell cars, have a travel agency, pharmacy, vision center, sell cabinets, counter tops, furniture, appliances, etc, etc, etc.

I have zero negative things to say about Costco.

I am in no way affiliated with Costco, by the way. We just shop there a lot.

Guest IdahoMtnMom

I prefer Costco, although I am no longer a member... it is 1 1/2 hours away in good weather and up to 2 1/2 in the winter... not worth it :-(

Definitely Costco! Not only do they have a better selection IMO, we get cash back on our purchases there-$100+ money free each year is worth it!

We also have their Amer Express which ALSO gives us cash back-it was about $300 this year! So it pays for the membership and we still get free money :)

They also take ANYTHING back with no questions asked which is great. We've only had to return a few things but it was easy.

We go to BJ's 3-4 times a month for paper goods, cereal, meat, stuff like that.

We go to Sam's every 2 months or so mostly for meat. I prefer Sam's meat, but it is new here and not on our ordinary route (even if it is closer) but Bj's has better selection on other stuff we get and is on our weekly route.

We have no Costco.

I know a few people who love Costco. I've never even been. I know--inconceivable! We used to have a Sam's membership (carryover from a previous residence where we only had Sam's) which we found most useful for dh's diet. We could get macadamia nuts and Atkins bars there for a good deal. Then they got rid of the mac nuts. And they changed their Atkins selections. Eventually we got fewer and fewer items there until it became totally not worth the drive for us.

If you can, visit each and see which has the kinds of things you're most likely to actually purchase at each store. It's so easy to be caught up in the exciting deals they offer and buy stuff you wouldn't normally purchase otherwise.

Back when we lived where there was a BJ's, that was my preference. Out here, there are only Sam's and Costco. Of the two, I prefer Costco. Mostly because Costco has a gas station while Sam's doesn't.

Costco seems to have a bigger selection of luxury goods than the other warehouse stores, but we almost never buy those kinds of items.

No BJs where we live. No familiarity with one, either.

We used to shop at Sam's before Costco entered the local market. Sam's here was simply WalMart stock packed in larger boxes.

Costco outshines Sam's by powerful wattage ! Price, range of products, quality of products, customer service, . . . (what remains beyond those?)

Not Sam's because they ripped us. We paid off our card with them and the money "disappeared". I've had to tell creditor after creditor that it had been paid off. One creditor told me that they had bought the debt, know nothing about the account, but are simply trying to collect on it. I told them that they were sold a debt that no longer existed.

Yikes! That's enough to make me never want to go there again!

We've had memberships at all three. Sam's was dirty and the customer service was horrible. BJ's was better, but for our money it's COSTCO hands down! We love that place. LOVE IT! The customer service is great, the prices while a little more are worth it to me, lots of good organic deals and fresh produce. The store is clean and tidy and the check out service is faster than anywhere else we've ever been. It can be crowded, but only after 5 and on weekends have we had any trouble and that was even not so bad.

The food court is great. We feed our whole family there for about the price it would take to feed them at home. It's a nice treat for our big family.

I can't say enough about how much I love that store. LOL

My fav is Costco...they have such an awesome return policy. I had a vacuum that I used for two years and when it broke I took it back and they gave me my money back. I was able to buy a new one and have been happy with this one thus far.

I dont know of any other store with such an outstanding return policy! Of course, I like to go to Sam's with my mom once in a while, just to change things up a bit and get a diff variety of stuff.

If you get an executive membership at Costco, you get 2% back on all your purchases...by the end of the year, all my purchases pay for the $100 membership fee with money left over usually.

I've had memberships to both Sam's and Costco, and the two are about the same distance apart right now. I prefer Costco. It seems to have more items that I use (organic staples, better produce, and a lot of nice books), the online store is wonderful (especially for printer ink and toner), and it just plain feels "nicer" to me. We have the Costco AMEX card, which I use only at Costco, and during a year, the cash back tends to cover the membership fee.

I don't have BJs, so can't compare them.

:iagree::iagree: We have both Sams and Costcos and Costcos wins hands down. We used to be a member of BJs but it has been years but I don't recall them being as good as Costcos:001_smile:

If you check their web sites you might get a better idea.

Costco! I can even give you our general list of things we buy regularly!

Sam's here is more crowded, much dirtier, not as well laid out, and doesn't have nearly the selection we like or the Organics.

Dawn