Menu

Pre-School Parents?

Any other ones out there?

My daughter will be 4 in August. This past year we have kind of played everything by ear and mostly child led, lots and lots of play with a purpose.

My ideas for this year are:

I think we will be doing a modified Charlotte Mason (and a little other things) I think I am more eclectic :tongue_smilie:, we will see how dd is. We will be starting prek-k. Working a lot on sensory exercises, holding off forcing the pencil issue which we keep having trouble with (the holding of it to write letters) and working more on tracing in flour and sand etc. That will be our English/language arts. Work on the phonics program I found based on zoo animals. Also we will be using some of the books from CM's list of good "living books" for 4 yr olds.

History will be various unit studies surrounding some major holidays and I will be reading the Light and The glory to her. In that will also be learning about states.

Math will be nature and home ec based.

Science will be with the local Homeschool nature club and other child lead areas. In the Nature club we will be doing journaling and I am also looking into lap books.... maybe for this and history.

Music will hopefully be a few classes through the local symphony if funds hold out. and continuing with classical and jazz listening for pleasure. plus some circle/couch time songs and stories.

arts will be continuing with ballet and various projects (art is never an issue we love art).

we will also be cont in Little Gym and will be doing various group (hopefully) field trips and self guided trips. We also will continue with Play to Learn, a locally funded program put on by the children's museum.

Man that sounds like a lot........ maybe I should scale back? LOL

I've got a preschooler too! Two actually. Your plans sound great! Structured in a real life, gentle-learning, play to learn way. That's wonderful!

If I had on only (I only had an only for 2 years ;)) I'd do something similar. Now that I have 4 kids, my plans look a bit different! Still gentle, fun, nothing really formal... My ds4 will do Heart of Dakota's PK, Teach Me Joy's FFTH, and if he keeps insisting to learn to read we will add The Reading Lesson. He's closer to 5 though. Math, science, music, etc is covered in HOD and TMJ. Also will do some classical music with Themes to Remember, Learn some Song School Latin songs, a few Spanish words, and focus on habit training and character/virtues with We Choose Virtue (promo code "Tamara"!!), faith based edition, which we will use for memory work (the verses plus the virtue catchphrases and antonyms).

Next one will be two in Nov. So maybe in January I'll start some with him using Teach Me Joy or Heart of Dakota. His focus right now is sensory work, speech therapy, OT, and DT. That will continue for quite some time for him and dd10 (OT,PT). That really teaches him so much of the early learning stuff I feel fine just letting him be for a while ;)

I'm currently doing our k4 plans now, my daughter turned 4 in April. We are doing laid back, I had such fun with ds doing lots of read-alouds, games, songs and fingerplays I want to recreate it with her. I am planning more crafts and such and activities though. I also have some Kumon books but have no set time table to finish those. I knew she would love them and thought it would be good practice. I was going to do MEPR but now I am thinking I will just work on the basics with her informally and through games. It worked well with ds, he went straight into RSB, so I think we can do just fine there. I will start some start of phonics instruction at some point but she cannot identify all the letters yet. She will likely get some though by default as when I work with ds she always wants a turn, so it will be the basics for her, practicing sounds and writing them.

Dd3, who will be 4 in about three weeks, is my middle child. I have a rising third grader and a five-month-old. I'm sending dd3 to a VPK program at a Montessori 3 hours a day starting this Fall. Structured preschool just doesn't done around here. I am not very good at fun, but dd has been learning through ds, me, Starfall, and life in general. She likes practical life, and absorbs a lot through our literature-rich, activity oriented family life. She knows most of her letters (meaning she can write them too), her numbers, her colors, shapes, and loves to draw. I take the dc to the library sometimes so dd gets to do crafts. Ds doesn't care for crafts, like me.

I will be bringing her back home for Kindy, and we'll start hsing in earnest.

I think those things sound fun and sound like a good direction to go- but don't be afraid to be flexible, you don't have to do any of that stuff on any sort of rigid schedule- you can just do it here and there as you get to it or as it naturally comes up or as you both feel motivated/inspired- it does not have to be any sort of formal "We need to do this on this day and that on that day and this at this hour and that at that hour and oh no we skipped a day" kind of thing.

I suggest just sort of going with the flow with those things in the back of your mind as the types of things you'd like to work on and do it as you both feel like doing it. And if you don't, don't.

I had two "informal" pre-k years in a row with my son who wasn't ready for K last year and it was never overly structured or scheduled, we just sort of went with it and as learning opportunities came up, we took advantage of them- through games, conversation, field trips, crafts and fun activities, books, just being around older siblings, outings with our homeschool group, manipulatives and other fun/educational toys- I was amazed at how much he learned this past year all without my ever really trying. :)

I'll be giving another shot to K with him in September (using Oak Meadow, which is not a very academic K- it's a hands on, Waldorf-inspired K which incorporates a lot of the types of things you mentioned). He turns 6 in November.

You'll know what your daughter's ready for and how interested/motivated she is and how much you feel up to- use that as your guideline and don't feel guilty if you feel like it isn't working out on a schedule/in a structured way at her age. So much learning happens informally as you just go about parenting and living your lives!

Wow, you are all doing so much with your preschoolers! My 3 yro is still kind of a baby. :blushing: I don't think we're quite ready for much, yet. I might buy some Lauri's puzzles, pegs, etc. I bought her a preschool workbook, but she kinda looked at me like I had lost my mind (which I have).

I wonder if it's a birth order thing...the 3 yro is our 4th, so there are 5 other people to baby her. :tongue_smilie:

I'm going to buy the Teach Me Joy activities this fall - someone on the forums mentioned it a few months ago.

Wow, you are all doing so much with your preschoolers! My 3 yro is still kind of a baby. :blushing: I don't think we're quite ready for much, yet. I might buy some Lauri's puzzles, pegs, etc. I bought her a preschool workbook, but she kinda looked at me like I had lost my mind (which I have).

I wonder if it's a birth order thing...the 3 yro is our 4th, so there are 5 other people to baby her. :tongue_smilie:

I'm going to buy the Teach Me Joy activities this fall - someone on the forums mentioned it a few months ago.

I didn't do anything much with dd last year(reading books and she is always coloring, drawing etc, cutting paper- she is much more in fine motor than he was at this age) but this year it is a defense mechanism! She wants to do things and I need her to not be harrassing ds- plus he still enjoys projects and such as well- so it is good for them to do together as well.

I didn't do anything much with dd last year(reading books and she is always coloring, drawing etc, cutting paper- she is much more in fine motor than he was at this age) but this year it is a defense mechanism! She wants to do things and I need her to not be harrassing ds- plus he still enjoys projects and such as well- so it is good for them to do together as well.

That's funny, the cutting paper. My 3 yro is obsessed with cutting paper right now. She'll get school scissors out of my older kids' school boxes and cut up any paper she can find. :glare: She also drew a "man wearing a hat" on our dinner table with a black marker. Oh, my goodness.

:lol:

Guest IdahoMtnMom

DD is just turned 3 and DS is just turned 4. After much consideration, I will be doing Winter Promise "I'm Ready to Learn" with both, supplemented with lots of books based on the units.

Also, DD will be taking a beginning dance class and DS starts his first ice skating lessons so he can start hockey in a year!

That's funny, the cutting paper. My 3 yro is obsessed with cutting paper right now. She'll get school scissors out of my older kids' school boxes and cut up any paper she can find. :glare: She also drew a "man wearing a hat" on our dinner table with a black marker. Oh, my goodness.

:lol:

Oh, the beloved Sharpie! Yes, mine loves cutting as well, loves it. I have to watch that she doesn't cut up anything important! I never know what she is going to do, last week it was lanolin art in her rug, that doesn't come out. So, I'm hoping to keep her focused more towards things that don't destroy the house!

I wanted to do Peak with Books with my 3 1/2 yr old but she is not ready. I will try it again in about 6 mths or just use it next yr. This yr we will be doing

Melissa and Doug puzzles

Lauri puzzles

Lots of board games

arts and crafts

Sonlight 3/4 read alouds

Leapfrog/Sesame Street videos

Kumon workbooks

listening to music

playing outside (Sept to May the weather is great,too hot in the summer)

story time at the library once a week

gymnastics once a week

She is not ready to hold a pencil either. I would like work on numbers to 10 and use Leap Frog for the ABC's. From her point of view I want this yr to be all about playing.

I've been doing some things informally with my daughter. I've been trying to come up with more to do with her since I've discovered that she is happier and better behaved for the rest of the day if she has some one-on-one time with me and something to occupy her mind and her hands each morning. Here's what I've got so far:

lots of coloring, cutting, pasting, watercolors

tons of storybooks, occasionally doing the activities for a book from Before Five in a Row

counting everything, everywhere, and talking and singing about letter sounds

Starfall (together with Mommy, only, since she colored on the keyboard)

scooping and pouring dried peas, playing with playdough, sorting buttons into a muffin tin, sorting easter eggs by color

free Musicgarten with a lady from church, but it's off for the summer

Candyland

pattern blocks--just found these at a garage sale. My daughter can do them, but she doesn't really have the stamina to finish a whole pattern most of the time, yet

knuts, bolts, and washers--sorting, screwing, and 'making music'

I'm teaching a summer art class for free for some friends' kids, and in exchange their moms pay for all the art supplies and my daughter gets to participate without paying for supplies

I'm making up some phonics games for her, but I haven't had a chance to see how she likes them, yet

We just finished preschool but I think your plan sounds like a lot of fun! Have fun, read books, and some phonics if theyre ready is my preschool goals. My oldest really got into workbooks this spring so we did some free curriculum at the end. But really at this age there is no rush.

She is not ready to hold a pencil either. I would like work on numbers to 10 and use Leap Frog for the ABC's. From her point of view I want this yr to be all about playing.

A want my daughter to view this year as one of play too. :001_smile: Still working on getting completely potty trained. :D Last year I did feel pressure from some, even if it was just my "feelings" and this year I feel pretty secure that how we plan to go forward is working right now.

I haven't looked a whole lot at curriculum, I am kind of just designing our own. I have been picking up books for years. The stuff I look at I get overwhelmed!

She begs to knit though, so I need to refresh my memory on that and maybe spend some cuddle time in the evenings doing that. She will be 4 in August and that seems young, but she found some old yarn and knitting needles and tried to copy a mom we know that does knit a lot.

Oak Meadow for K sounds interesting.

I've been doing some things informally with my daughter. I've been trying to come up with more to do with her since I've discovered that she is happier and better behaved for the rest of the day if she has some one-on-one time with me and something to occupy her mind and her hands each morning. Here's what I've got so far:

lots of coloring, cutting, pasting, watercolors

tons of storybooks, occasionally doing the activities for a book from Before Five in a Row

counting everything, everywhere, and talking and singing about letter sounds

Starfall (together with Mommy, only, since she colored on the keyboard)

scooping and pouring dried peas, playing with playdough, sorting buttons into a muffin tin, sorting easter eggs by color

free Musicgarten with a lady from church, but it's off for the summer

Candyland

pattern blocks--just found these at a garage sale. My daughter can do them, but she doesn't really have the stamina to finish a whole pattern most of the time, yet

knuts, bolts, and washers--sorting, screwing, and 'making music'

I'm teaching a summer art class for free for some friends' kids, and in exchange their moms pay for all the art supplies and my daughter gets to participate without paying for supplies

I'm making up some phonics games for her, but I haven't had a chance to see how she likes them, yet

This sounds like most of last year and I think it sounds wonderful! Why do we feel children must read and do all sorts of workbooks so young! My daughter still looks like a little preschooler still! LOL

My youngest dd will be 4 in September. This past year we read the books from Sonlight P3/4, HWOT and she attended preschool before and afterschool while I worked. The plan for next year is as follows.

IF I return to work in the fall she will attend 2 full days of preschool a week plus 3 days afterschool. I say If because my oldest is not mature enough to be home alone while I work but will be too old to go to work with me so we'll see.

In addition to that, we are using HWOT, which she loves. They use the same program at the preschool so using it both here and there helps. We will start Sonlight P4/5 as soon as I can order it.

We will be starting OPGTR with her at somepoint. She knows most of her letter sounds, and currently we play a game of her searching for a letter I say in a book or a page of something. SO if I say find the 's' she will tell me it's letter sound and then find it on the page we are looking at. It might be a picture book, it might be a newspaper, it might be a sign in the store. We will continue this while starting OPGTR and take things at her pace.

I am thinking about using Handle on the Arts in conjunction with P4/5 to cover science, bible and storybook.

We will also be using hands on standards for math, which utilizes manips to learn math concepts. And preschool take to your seat centers.

Rounding it all out will be lapbooking, or evan moor pockets for any topic we want. We have done these together before and she LOVES them.

It's funny how different she is from my older kids. My ds7 turning 8 this August loves school but is struggling with his phonics etc. He was very much still a baby at 3-4 and not interested at all with school. DD has had full out meltdowns because there was no school books in an order for her. And I can not get away with just anything. She has a mathwork book she often asks to do more in because she enjoys it. She likes to sit on my knee and see me order things for her for school. She is very particular about what counts as school and what does not have feels offended if I try to make her do less school than the older kids.

Outside activities next year I am not sure yet, but am leaning towards music, dance and swimming lessons, all depends on the budget and what the older kids extra curric schedule looks like.

I just bought the Teach Me Joy curric someone mentioned was on sale through currclick. Other than that (if we do it), just playing dress-up, sorting blocks, cutting paper, playing with her "babies," coloring, reading books...regular 3 year old stuff. She won't be 3 until October, so I'm in no rush. If she asks for more, then I might pick up a $1 store workbook, just so she feels like she's "doing school" like her big brother.

We use some ABC flash cards and number flash cards. We are working on fine motor skills with coloring, cutting and pasting, and simple mazes in a preschool workbook. We will also work through a preschool concept workbook (opposites, color matching, baby and mommy animals, etc) on days she wants to "do school." She will be listening when we do our CC memory work, read/listen to SOTW and our literature.

My daughter will be turning three in August, but she's still VERY young for her age, if that makes sense. Right now we are working on following directions correctly, and some simple art (scribbling with crayons and MAYBE staying in the lines). We do lots of read alouds though, so we will continue with that. That's my current pre-school plan! Next year, maybe she'll be ready for some beginning math concepts and reading concepts, but not yet. :001_smile:

I have a DD tha will be 4 in September. She's a self motivated learner and has been on me for the past year to teach her phonics but I didn't take the time to do it diligently, just now and then. She finally just taught herself with the phonics apps on my iPhone. She's estatic to be starting regular daily school now that DS is beginning K this year. I'm doing LHTH with her and her younger brother and adding a phonics program and Saxon K for her. That should be enough for her to feel like she's "done school".

I've got two preschoolers! (Well, in 8 weeks, my DD1 will be "graduating" to Kindergarten).

We've been using HOD's Little Hands to Heaven with a little phonics and workbook supplementation for my DD. Next "year"(which we will start in Sept.), I will be using Fruit for Tender Hearts from the Teach Me Joy(thanks to the poster that mentioned it was on sale! I was going to wait to order, but I went ahead and got it now!) site with Abeka K4 phonics and possibly some Singapore earlybird math for DS who will be 4 in December.

My daughter who is 2 1/2, will be 3 in October can do complicated jigsaw puzzles by herself with no help. She's been done with the wooden puzzles for some time now. Does anyone else have a preschooler/toddler that can do such intricate puzzles? It's really amazing to watch. She can hold a pencil correctly and knows all of her letters and numbers up to 30. This makes me feel that she is ready. Although I still won't give her more than 3 activities a day.

I have a 3 year old daughter who we adopted from China in Dec. 2009. She is visually impaired & developmentally delayed, and I'm doing a combination of Charlotte Mason & Montessori for her homeschooling this year. I've posted some of my thoughts on my blog, but I'm still working on finalizing my plans.

Another preschooler here! My son is 4.

I had a lightbulb moment a while ago when I read an article that talked about parent expectations of school readiness vs. Kindergarten teachers. When asked what was necessary for school readiness the parents all listed a bunch of academic thinks like letters, numbers, phonics, etc. Meanwhile the K teachers listed 3 things: ability to follow directions, good attention span, and fine motor skills. Even though we're homeschooling it made a whole lot of sense to me.

Thus, I consider the core of our preschool "curriculum" to be read alouds, fine motor work, and life skills like listening, helping, manners, etc. We do a ton more than that of course*, but really as long as we're reading good books, working those little fingers, and developing life skills, I feel like we've put in a good day.

The other stuff we're doing includes:

OPGTR for about 20 mins a day

Miquon + some Rightstart and Singapore Earlybird

Kumon mazes and cutting books

lots of drawing and painting

playdoh

puzzles of all kinds (we especially love the MiniLuk)

Starfall

board games of all kinds (I love Hisss and Orchard)

mommy made Montessori inspired activities (when I have the energy).

science books and experiments with dad

library story time once a week

hiking with kids group once a week

family camping

long weekend bike rides

field trips to the zoo, botanical gardens, and museums

preschool karate or swim class at the YMCA

ski school in the winter (he already competently skis a green run)

and the most important:

lots of free time to build with Trio, Lego, and wooden blocks!

My DS will be 4 in September. I don't have any formal plans for him except working on his fine motor skills - his are a lot more undeveloped then his sisters were at this age although I suppose that is normal for boys.

He is very keen to do "lessons" so he will just tag along with my DD's K plans where he can.

He will also be going to public Prek 2x a week which he is thrilled about after watching his sister go for the past year.

My dd is quite an immature 4 yo, and a late talker by choice, so we'll be doing another year of preschool next year. (Southern hemisphere, "next year" means next calender year.)

This year is mostly jigsaw puzzles, read alouds and various artistic pursuits. We hit a ceiling with learning numbers so today we started learning our letters. We'll see how she goes with that :) In theory she is learning to sign, but she's a late talker in both languages. :rolleyes:

Rosie

My son will be doing Pre-K this fall, since he just turned four.

I've got monthly learning themes planned. They will include read-alouds, crafts, sensory bins, educational films (when appropriate) games and mostly pretend play (involving the theme, when we feel like it). Many of our themes are based around Safari Ltd. Toobs.

We're doing light versions this summer. We had a space theme in June and we're doing ocean life in July. Our themes aren't jam-packed. They'll be pretty relaxed. Still, I'm amazed at how much he's learning. :)

I'm still finalizing all of our materials for the fall, but they will most likely include:

10-15 minutes: Hooked on Phonics (teaching the helper words phonetically) and ETC

10 minutes: Singapore/Rightstart Math

10 minutes: Homemade handwriting sheets

Nature walks (when the weather cools off... it's really hot here).

Everything else will be play and fun stuff.

Edited by rockermom

My Lance, is the last child and he at age 5 seemed so immature and more like a 3 or 4 year old:001_huh:. I wonder too if it is a birth order thing. I tried so hard not to baby him but I think I did some. Even, now he still talks little and as much as I want him to stay little I need to let the poor kid grow up. He will be 7 this year.