Menu

What do you call the implement that holds hair in a ponytail?

What do you call the thing holding up your hair?  

1. 1. What do you call the thing holding up your hair?

• Hair tie
    • Hair elastic
    • Hair band
    • Pony-tail holder
    • Hair Scrunchie
    • Hair Do-Dad
    • Something Else

I voted ponytail holder, but when my dds were little, we called them "pretties". A hair band is one of those wide bands shaped like a horseshoe, and a scrunchy is a wider, fabric covered elastic band used to pull hair back into a pony tail. But the skinny elastic ones are ponytail holders.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Voting something else here because depending on what the actual tool is, the name changes. A scrunchie is a fabric covered band. A plain band is called a ponytail holder or an elastic. Since we also use uncovered rubber bands in dd's hair those are called the hair bands or rubber bands.

:iagree: Exactly.

40 years ago when I was in 3rd grade, my mom was pregnant, stressed because my dad was away working, and trying to keep the house running. She had to put my hair in a ponytail every day and she was so flustered she started calling the things 'dingalings' They were the ones with a little ball on each end- you wrapped it around the ponytail and crossed the balls over each other.

Anyway.....I was attending a Catholic school and I mentioned one day that I liked a friend's dingaling. Sister Mary Carol went beserk on me for using that word.

Not that it left a lasting impression or anything.

40 years ago when I was in 3rd grade, my mom was pregnant, stressed because my dad was away working, and trying to keep the house running. She had to put my hair in a ponytail every day and she was so flustered she started calling the things 'dingalings' They were the ones with a little ball on each end- you wrapped it around the ponytail and crossed the balls over each other.

Anyway.....I was attending a Catholic school and I mentioned one day that I liked a friend's dingaling. Sister Mary Carol went beserk on me for using that word.

Not that it left a lasting impression or anything.

That is hilarious! LOL! Yes, dingaling meant something quite different when I was a kid!

Voting something else here because depending on what the actual tool is, the name changes. A scrunchie is a fabric covered band. A plain band is called a ponytail holder or an elastic. Since we also use uncovered rubber bands in dd's hair those are called the hair bands or rubber bands.

:iagree:

:iagree: This - a scrunchie is fabric covered, a rubber band is an uncovered office supply. The coated rubber bands that come in various colors from Goody we call a ponytail holder or a hair tie.

:lol::lol: When my girls were little I called them woogies. As in 'go get a ponytail woogie." Then I realized they thought that was what those things were really called and I was appalled. Acckk

Of course when my first girl was 2 she thought ice cream was called 'some', because I had given it to her and said. "would you like some?' Later she would lean on the fridge and pat it and say some...some..some.

It is a miracle they learned english at all.

:lol:

This is hilarious! :lol::lol: