Menu

Have you heard about the Whopper Bar??

I'm usually the last to know everything. So....this is probably old news. I was watching our local news last night and there was a segment about how Sonic is going to be doing something similar to Burger King....offering beer (and, for Sonic, wine too). I had no idea BK was doing that. Here's an article I found. And, here's a BK site about it. From pictures I've seen of the Whopper Bar.....it looks like it's not an actual Burger King that just decides to add beer. Looks like it's a totally different "chain" (I guess you could say). But, still.....the idea seems really strange to me. But, then again....I don't drink alcohol at all. :tongue_smilie:

It seems very odd to me because it's not really thought of as a sit down to eat kind of restaurant. Can you order a beer via the drive-thru? In a cup? Isn't that against the law to have an open container of alcohol?

You can order drive thru alcohol in some states. In Louisiana, for instance. Apparently it isn't an open container if they put a piece of tape over the straw hole.

It seems very odd to me because it's not really thought of as a sit down to eat kind of restaurant. Can you order a beer via the drive-thru? In a cup? Isn't that against the law to have an open container of alcohol?

Someone in the comments section of one of the articles linked said that you wouldn't be able to order alcohol at the drive-thru (or while eating in your car, at Sonic) but that you would have to exit your vehicle and sit at a table to order a drink.

The BK Bar locations look pretty gimmicky and don't appear to have drive-thrus (one is located at Universal City Walk, for example).

You can order drive thru alcohol in some states. In Louisiana, for instance. Apparently it isn't an open container if they put a piece of tape over the straw hole.

Seriously??

Never heard of it. Do not care. :auto:

I have plenty enough raging in my head currently. Have a beer with your burger, don't drink and drive.

Ooookay. :confused:

It doesn't seem much different than any other restaurant where one can order a beer with his burger.

I think so too. At first when I heard about it...I was like shocked that BK was serving beer....with their kiddie playground and everything. But, that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems like a separate chain....probably appealing more to college kids and up (I bet they don't sell a kids meal there....well, who knows, maybe they do). I don't know how the Sonic will do it...if they'll have a separate chain (we don't have Sonic around here).

Seriously??

Yep. There's a drive-thru daiquiri place not far from my house. They just won't put the straw in for you. I've never heard of the tape ... that must be a regional interpretation of the law. I guess the police in certain parishes want the tape as a "seal" but others don't care as long as you haven't obviously opened it.

And when we ate at Chili's on my dad's birthday, he requested and received a "go cup" for his leftover beer.

Even in Germany? (Not that I have lol Why would want or need to?)

I've never seen a fast food place serve alcohol. We may have been at a Denny's that did once, but we were traveling.

I can imagine getting a beer in a McDonald's paper cup. Wait, I've probably had alcohol in a McDonald's cup. We just didn't buy the alcohol from Mc Donalds.

I think McD's is the perfect place for a beer ;) . Takes the edge off the gross if one must.

But why McD's in Germany...with so many better beef & beer options? That's what I don't get.

I've had wine with lunch; why *not* beer with lunch if I have to eat in a crapateria?

Edited by LibraryLover

Please tell me I'm not the only one that clicked on this thread and though "They are making a whopper flavored candy bar? Gross!" :lol:

I guess it helps keep people from having to make another stop for beer on the way home from work. If they can make $, they'll do it.

I just can't see how anything on Sonic's menu would go with wine. I keep picturing someone ordering wine in a cup with Sonic ice and a shot of flavoring. ;)

What, you never do wine with mozzarella cheese sticks? Jalepeno poppers? Fried onion rings?? LOL, I agree with you that wine seems like an odd choice. I know it'd be a hit here, though, because I live in a "wine" town and the parents would love a glass while the kids take in a limeade or shake :) I guess I'll be at the kiddie table!

I order margaritas at Chipotle sometimes (not particularly good, but some days desire supercedes quality!) and they won't put a lid on the cup, presumably to keep me from taking it to my car. I once ordered one to-go and had to slam it down so I could get back to my nephew's soccer tournament with everyone else's lunch LOL. That learned me ;)

In Italy you can pull off at pit-stops along the freeways (Autostradas) and go up to the Autogrill restaurants and bars that are built like bridges spanning the freeways and get a panini sandwich and some wine or a cocktail before jumping back in the car and going as fast as your vehicle will go (with no enforced speed limit).

Classical culture is not dead :D

Bill

Michigan has the "Merlot to Go" law. That way you can legally take your half bottle of wine with you in your car after you drink part of it in a restaurant. :D

The only thing I can think of worse than BK food is putting alcohol on top of it. Sounds like a horrid belly ache to me. :001_huh:

Never heard of it. Do not care. :auto:

I have plenty enough raging in my head currently. Have a beer with your burger, don't drink and drive.

Okay...what? That one should drink and drive? Translation needed.

No....my reply didn't refer to the drinking and driving part. Of course :iagree:wholeheartedly with that. I guess I was overly sensitive and thought the first part was referring to my post. It just sounded snippy....and I thought that if you don't care and you had plenty enough raging in your head then why did you even bother commenting?? But....it's been a rough week for me and I evidently took it a bit personally. Sorry.

:cheers2:

(This is rootbeer, by the way). :D

In all seriousness, if someone wanted to drink and drive, it would make no difference what kind of container it came in, whether or not they had to walk into the building, or go through the drive through. They could even simply exit the bar drunk, get in their car and drive away.

I did too- but I didn't think it sounded gross! (you do mean Whopper like the malted milk balls- right? Because a hamburger flavored candy bar would be gross. Very gross.)

This is what I thought -- a new candy bar flavored after Whoppers candy. I am so out of the loop, LOL!

As for the alcohol at burger joints, that doesn't seem odd to me any longer. Like Bill said about Italy, I could go into the truck stop/rest stop place along the highway, order a sandwich and beer, eat/drink there or carry out to my car. No big deal.

Technically Brazil is a zero tolerance country for drinking/driving, meaning IF you were ever pulled over for something (not gonna happen), and IF a police officer decided to breathalize you (not gonna happen), then ANY blood alcohol level above 0 is punishable. But police don't pull people over here, except in random check points, so the enforcability of this is, umm, really questionable.

Anyway, we can get beer all kinds of places and it just doesn't even seem strange now.