Menu

Questions for Doctor Who fans without cable or satellite

How do you watch it? We are about ready to cancel Directv. We have our Roku boxes, a nice long queue on Netflix Instant, and can even watch Amazon Prime videos for free. I saw that Doctor Who is available on Amazon. Do you buy the episodes from there? How soon after the episode airs are they available? Do you have some other way of watching? Sorry about all the questions when my title says question - singular. :001_smile: We're just trying to get it all sorted out before we actually cut off satellite.

I'm probably not going to be a lot of help because we get ours from the library when they come out on DVD so we're usually about 10 months behind what's going on in the real world. I have a friend out in California though that gets them right after they air by downloading a torrent of the show off of the internet.

ETA: Just mentioned this to DH and he said that he wouldn't recommend going this route because it's probably not a legal option. Not only do I not have good advice. I'm giving you illegal advice. :001_huh: Sorry.

We watched the first five seasons on Netflix Instant Watch. Season 6 is funny. I buy them on Amazon. Then we put my teeny (normal size) laptop on a box on the coffee table, squeeze together on the couch, and watch it on our laptop. We don't yet have the cords to hook the laptop up to the TV because there's some weird incompatibility between my laptop and our TV.

Amazon puts the episodes up Sunday morning after they air the night before. Only once did I not get notification that it was up during church; that one came later in the afternoon.

Yeah, we have a friend who torrents them, but it is technically illegal. You can download them from Amazon or even iTunes, I think, though. They are available the next day in the US after they air here, which is not always when they air in the UK.

My FIL, who works in entertainment sales, says that Doctor Who is the number one most illegally downloaded show because it airs all over the world at different times, sometimes up to several months difference. Many people don't want to wait and just download it when it comes out in the first place.

ETA: We watch it on Netflix (which is usually a season behind) and with friends. :)

Edited by MeaganS

Thanks for the answers. We don't plan to use a torrent site, and wouldn't want to watch on the laptop anyway. Our televisions are all too old to hook up to a computer. We'll just have to decide if we want to buy them from Amazon as they come out, or wait for dvd's. Amazon will probably win, especially since we won't be paying satellite fees.

I bought each new episode of this last season as it came out on Amazon. With most shows I wait until the DVDs come out but we were so caught up in it that we didn't want to miss out on the fun.:) We had to watch it on our computer in the kitchen but at least we got to see it.

we used to rent them from netflix, but now we are all caught up and on the current season, we watch them on the internet- dh hooks up his laptop to our flatscreen. I think it is available an hour after it airs the first time...not sure about the particulars, cus dh handles all the tech stuff...

dh hooks up his laptop to our flatscreen. I think it is available an hour after it airs the first time...

We keep saying we're not going to replace our old SD tv's until they die, but I'm so ready for a tv that can be connected to a computer. I've caught dh looking at HD sets both online and in stores, so maybe he's going to break down soon.

I'm not a regular Dr Who watcher, but we have never had cable or satellite and I know one of our local PBS shows them over the air. I don't know if it's the current season (I'm pretty sure it is) or what the schedule is, but I know it is on at least once a week. We just use an antenna and pick up around 20 channels (chicago suburbs). We have a program on the computer that acts as a DVR so we can record whatever we want to watch later. So everything is free past the cost of a good antenna.

I'm not a regular Dr Who watcher, but we have never had cable or satellite and I know one of our local PBS shows them over the air. I don't know if it's the current season (I'm pretty sure it is) or what the schedule is, but I know it is on at least once a week. We just use an antenna and pick up around 20 channels (chicago suburbs). We have a program on the computer that acts as a DVR so we can record whatever we want to watch later. So everything is free past the cost of a good antenna.

I'm almost positive that the PBS airings are a full year + behind the BBC's.

We keep saying we're not going to replace our old SD tv's until they die, but I'm so ready for a tv that can be connected to a computer. I've caught dh looking at HD sets both online and in stores, so maybe he's going to break down soon.
We finally made the switch last Christmas. David Attenborough in HD on a big screen is a revelation.

We get them on Netflix, but I am pretty sure I missed a few episodes. We had to go back through and finally found a couple of ones we missed, that weren't in the series they had, and I still think I've missed one or two. I don't know when the new ones come out on Netflix, though, so we've moved on to watching Torchwood until they do. :)

Okay, how much do the episodes cost on Amazon? Do you have to pay some join-up fee, or can you just buy them one-off?

We've watched through season 5 on Netflix instant watch, but we've been limping along begging friends with cable to record the current season - we've watched the first four or so, but are way behind - waah!

We've got Roku, so depending on how the Amazon thing works, I may just buckle and pay the $$...

Okay, how much do the episodes cost on Amazon? Do you have to pay some join-up fee, or can you just buy them one-off?

We've got Roku, so depending on how the Amazon thing works, I may just buckle and pay the $$...

I think they're $1.99 per episode on Amazon. There might be a discount if you buy the whole season at once, but I haven't checked into it. That seems to be the only show we watch that we'd end up having to pay for, so it would still cost much less than satellite. We have Roku boxes too, and I think you just purchase from the box but through your Amazon account.

We've watched through season 5 on Netflix instant watch, but we've been limping along begging friends with cable to record the current season - we've watched the first four or so, but are way behind - waah!

I think if you pay for Amazon Prime, they're free.

We only have the old-fashioned, big tube TV. No digital, no HD. Works just fine with the Roku, so we can watch Netflix streaming on our ancient TV. :D