Menu

civil war from the southern perspective resources

I am looking for some resources about the southern perspective of the civil war. My son is in 6th grade next year. We were talking about the civil war and he asked how the southerners felt about "losing". I realized, being raised in the north, that I had no idea how to answer his question.

Thanks

What, we lost???

Seriously, the best books I know about the Civil War are by James I. Robertson, Jr. He's a southerner through and through, but he does a great job of presenting how both sides felt. I had him as a professor in college, he's an excellent lecturer and writer.

Here's a link to his Civil War book for kids, it's oop, but you can get it used. His biographies are dense (and thick for that matter), but really give you a feel for who the person was and how they felt. If your ds is a good reader and interested in the subject, you may want to check one out. His one on Robert E. Lee would probably be the best one to start with, but his one on Stonewall Jackson is dh's favorite.

I am looking for some resources about the southern perspective of the civil war. My son is in 6th grade next year. We were talking about the civil war and he asked how the southerners felt about "losing". I realized, being raised in the north, that I had no idea how to answer his question.

Thanks

http://wunc.org/programs/voices/civil-war/your-civil-war-stories

I haven't listened to it myself, but DH was telling me he heard bits of it on the radio... you might want to skim through yourself to see if it's appropriate.

Thanks everyone. I really thought there might be a plethora of stuff that I just didn't know about, so I am surprised there weren't a whole bunch of options. I am trying to get my hands on some of it. The first title I was able to interlibrary loan. I really hope I didn't offend someone with the "losing". I just didn't know how to phrase it. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

The book "Gone With the Wind." Or maybe even the movie?

I was going to recommend the book also. Not so much the movie. The book is very descriptive about Southerner's feelings about the war, reconstruction, carpet baggers and the "killing them with kindness" attitude through Southern Hospitality. However, I'm not sure how excited a 6th grade boy would be to read it. It sounds like you have some other better recommendations for a boy.

We just finished the Civil War section from SL core E, and the readers and read alouds were excellent at presenting the Southern perspective - at least my kids came out Union members through and through, but understanding a little about why the war really happened and how the Southern families felt about it before and right after. These were the historical fiction books that went along with the history spines used.

Shades of Gray was great, probably about middle school level reader

Across Five Aprils was a read aloud about a family caught in between...also middle school level

The Perilous Road is about a Southern boy also, and there is a Hannalee book also

There were several others, you could check out the SL website, but those come to mind right now as thought provoking books for my kids. After reading these, when we watched Ken Burns Civil War the kids were better able to see the Southern side....and when discussing their history spine too. I'm sure there are lots of others.

erin

Try real civil war diaries. I'm having my 6th & 7th grader read parts of Sarah Morgan's diary. She writes in detail of her life in the south and her feelings on Lincoln, the Yankees and "Jeff" Davis. Her family is greatly impacted by the war. Here is an example from March 17th, 1863:

...the Yankees have gone back to Baton Rouge....I believe I am positively disappointed. I did want to see them soundly thrashed!

Her diary entry from the day of LIncoln's assassination is also very interesting. She's quite the drama queen, which makes for an interesting read. ;)

There is also Mary Chestnut's diary. I'm not aware of any diaries written by southern men during the Civil War, but I've not really looked.

Anyway, here is a link to the book we are using for southern perspective:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0671785036/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=19X7CQ6BRZMFB86B8JK3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Victoria has good suggestions.

I would suggest Cold Mountain for the (much) older or more mature crew & parents. Also, The Home Education Sourcebook mentioned one book from a Confederate perspective. I just can't remember the name. I think it's a good idea to look at both sides, especially because of it's influence on Reconstruction, but I personally don't focus too much on the Confederate opinion. Old grudge from my Great Great Grandfather being killed on the Union side, I suppose. :tongue_smilie:

eeeewwwww, gag!

Really? The book and movies are some of my favorites of all time. You are missing out. If my husband would let me, I'd totally name one of my boys Rhett. :001_smile:

Although I get that a boy wouldn't want to read the book. I'm probably going to require the movie eventually, boy or girl though. It is an amazing piece of film history.

I live where many people still believe in the "Southern cause", or in what revisionist history puts out as the "Southern cause". (There is just as much revisionist history about the "North", so I'm being equal-handed.)

You really are to be commended for teaching both sides. (I attempted a similar thing with one son, and located books presenting the British perspective on what we call the American Revolution.)

On the fiction shelf, how about Turn Homeward, Hannalee by Patricia Beatty. The book is about uprooted cotton mill workers from Georgia. I wish that I could locate the sequel, but it must be op.

If my husband would let me, I'd totally name one of my boys Rhett. :001_smile:

My ds (22 years) has a friend named Rhett.

Back in the days when major films would be re-released for theatre runs, my seventh grade class went as a field trip to see "Gone with the Wind". I still think it inclines toward the sappy side, but think it is a "must see" for students of American culture. Well worth writing a critical analysis on the film, if viewed in high school.

Try real civil war diaries. I'm having my 6th & 7th grader read parts of Sarah Morgan's diary. She writes in detail of her life in the south and her feelings on Lincoln, the Yankees and "Jeff" Davis. Her family is greatly impacted by the war. Here is an example from March 17th, 1863:

...the Yankees have gone back to Baton Rouge....I believe I am positively disappointed. I did want to see them soundly thrashed!

Her diary entry from the day of LIncoln's assassination is also very interesting. She's quite the drama queen, which makes for an interesting read. ;)

There is also Mary Chestnut's diary. I'm not aware of any diaries written by southern men during the Civil War, but I've not really looked.

Anyway, here is a link to the book we are using for southern perspective:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0671785036/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=19X7CQ6BRZMFB86B8JK3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

:iagree:

Also, read the Slave Narratives.

Meagan,

Sappy is correct. I have to be honest. I could barely get through this movie (admitting that I haven't read the book). It is so 2 dimensional, sappy, and it felt very unrealistic to me. Honestly, I have to wonder what value is seen in it, other than it being a popular movie at one time? I like historical movies, but could not stand this one (give me North & South or Gettysburg instead ;) ). It's just my opinion though :D I didn't know anyone who actually liked the movie until today.

Edited by mommaduck

I was going to recommend the book also. Not so much the movie. The book is very descriptive about Southerner's feelings about the war, reconstruction, carpet baggers and the "killing them with kindness" attitude through Southern Hospitality. However, I'm not sure how excited a 6th grade boy would be to read it. It sounds like you have some other better recommendations for a boy.

Really? The book and movies are some of my favorites of all time. You are missing out. If my husband would let me, I'd totally name one of my boys Rhett. :001_smile:

Although I get that a boy wouldn't want to read the book. I'm probably going to require the movie eventually, boy or girl though. It is an amazing piece of film history.

:iagree: Gone with the Wind, which I finished at age 11, gave me my first exposure to the Southern perspective on the war. I was first shocked and then grew to better understand the conflicts of the war. By the time Sherman marched through, I was cursing him like the characters. It is one of my absolute favorite books. The language is exquisite. The characters are so real. Yes, Scarlett can be shallow, but she also has good qualities. I love Rhett. *swoon*

One reason that I suggested Turn Homeward, Hannalee is that the author points out in the introduction that typical awareness among Americans focuses on the "plantation culture", ignoring that the majority of Southerners did not live at that high economic level. I realized, with a guilty jolt, that she is right. I read the book and profited from what I learned.

. . . just as not everybody in Europe had a title !

Edited by Orthodox6

Meagan,

(give me North & South or Gettysburg instead ;) ). It's just my opinion though :D I didn't know anyone who actually liked the movie until today.

Thanks for these alternatives. When I searched on Netflix for North & South it found two: a 2004 BBC series based on a novel by Elizabeth Gaskell and a 1985 miniseries based on John Jakes novels. Which do you mean? Or are they both good?

Also I found a 1993 movie called Gettysburg and a 2004 documentary called Gettysburg: Three Days of Destiny and several others with similar titles.

Thanks

The book "Gone With the Wind." Or maybe even the movie?

My dd has been reading this, and as a California girl, she's been amazed at what she's reading. She had no idea.

I wouldn't expect an 11yob to read it, though. :001_smile:

Meagan,

Sappy is correct. I have to be honest. I could barely get through this movie (admitting that I haven't read the book). It is so 2 dimensional, sappy, and it felt very unrealistic to me. Honestly, I have to wonder what value is seen in it, other than it being a popular movie at one time? I like historical movies, but could not stand this one (give me North & South or Gettysburg instead ;) ). It's just my opinion though :D I didn't know anyone who actually liked the movie until today.

Well, it is listed on MANY top 10 best movies of all time lists, including several of the American Film Institute's, won 10 Academy Awards. You know, just so you know I'm not alone. :lol:

It's totally cool not to like it, though, just saying that LOTS of people do. It is one of my top 10 favorite movies.

ETA: And the book won the Pulitzer Prize.

ETA: And it made, when adjusted for inflation, $2,984,000,000, which would make it the highest grossing film of all time when adjusted for inflation.

ETA: I really love that movie. :)

Edited by MeaganS

Thanks for these alternatives. When I searched on Netflix for North & South it found two: a 2004 BBC series based on a novel by Elizabeth Gaskell and a 1985 miniseries based on John Jakes novels. Which do you mean? Or are they both good?

Also I found a 1993 movie called Gettysburg and a 2004 documentary called Gettysburg: Three Days of Destiny and several others with similar titles.

Thanks

You want the 1985 miniseries with Patrick Swayzee (?) in it. The other is set in England.

Well, it is listed on MANY top 10 best movies of all time lists, including several of the American Film Institute's, won 10 Academy Awards. You know, just so you know I'm not alone. :lol:

It's totally cool not to like it, though, just saying that LOTS of people do. It is one of my top 10 favorite movies.

ETA: And the book won the Pulitzer Prize.

ETA: And it made, when adjusted for inflation, $2,984,000,000, which would make it the highest grossing film of all time when adjusted for inflation.

ETA: I really love that movie. :)

I know, I know, I know.... :lol: Just goes to show that what's popular is not always in good taste :P (I tease only ;) ) I think it was mostly the whining in the movie that bugged me. Scarlett's whining, the white-person-voice-over of the slave girl, etc.

Edited by mommaduck

I know, I know, I know.... :lol: Just goes to show that what's popular is not always in good taste :P (I tease only ;) ) I think it was mostly the whining in the movie that bugged me. Scarlett's whining, the white-person-voice-over of the slave girl, etc.

Read the book. It is infinitely more worthwhile than the movie. :)

That's one of the reasons it is so great! You aren't supposed to like Scarlet. In my opinion, the heroine of the story is supposed to be Melanie, with Rhett as a second. It's one of the first books/stories that I enjoyed that wasn't just black and white like that. Scarlett is a totally selfish person, but she is strong. She gets all that she worked so hard for, but in the end realizes that she has nothing. Melanie loses everything but she is a beautiful person who actually has everything. I think Scarlet subtly recognizes that and that is why she hates her. Someday I'm going to write an essay comparing Melanie and Scarlet as complete opposites, but suffice it to say, I think there are some wonderful character developments in the story and I think they were acted out very well.

The little slave girl's voice is annoying, though. I'll give you that. And you still don't have to like it, but it is a fantastic story. Maybe read the book instead? No hard feelings either way. :001_smile:

ETA: Now I just want to re-read the book!

Turn Homeward Hannah Lee

Across 5 Aprils

The Wartime Papers of Robert E Lee

I've not read Virginia's General, but it has been recommended to me as being a good read.

Traveller by Richard Adams is good, but you have to be able to understand what is going on to appreciate the writing.

Gettysburg or Gods and Generals (dvds)?

You mean they lost???? We moved down here a couple of years ago and have been amazed at the number of "if only x had happened" discussions in which the South wins :001_huh:. Our town annually reenacts the last battle of the Civil War won by the South, cheering wildly each time. We have recently attended the sesquicentennial of the firing on Fort Sumpter and really, as we sat on the battery of Charleston, you would never guess they eventually lost. Denial is a curious thing.

I'm amazed at how civil this thread has remained. Must be because it's hidden on the Logic board and not attracting attention... :lol:

I just wanted to agree with Gone with the Wind. Every person should see the movie that has sold more tickets than any other in history anway. :001_smile:

You mean they lost???? We moved down here a couple of years ago and have been amazed at the number of "if only x had happened" discussions in which the South wins :001_huh:. Our town annually reenacts the last battle of the Civil War won by the South, cheering wildly each time. We have recently attended the sesquicentennial of the firing on Fort Sumpter and really, as we sat on the battery of Charleston, you would never guess they eventually lost. Denial is a curious thing.

Hey, they do reenactments up here in Gettysburg also. And if it weren't for how crazy us Southerners are about our history, it would be a one sided reenactment. You can't have a battle without the other present; that would be a forfeit and the South doesn't go down without a fight :lol: (actually, I think that's the attitude of nearly all Americans anyhow :D )

Gettysburg has memorials for each state that fought there, regardless of side they were on. I didn't like a comic book my MIL bought there for my oldest (he pitched it). But otherwise, it seems they are pretty fair, from my visit there.

Turn Homeward Hannah Lee

Across 5 Aprils

The Wartime Papers of Robert E Lee

I've not read Virginia's General, but it has been recommended to me as being a good read.

Traveller by Richard Adams is good, but you have to be able to understand what is going on to appreciate the writing.

Gettysburg or Gods and Generals (dvds)?

Shades of Grey (Southern Boy goes to live with relatives, including an uncle who didn't fight).

Guns for Watie (Confederate goes to Cherokee country to get weapons and/or support for the confederates.)

My kids did a campout at New Market Battlefield, complete with a battlefield walk led by VMI cadets and a re-enactment. It was an interesting re-introduction to living in America after almost a decade away.

Try going to NPS.gov and searching for parks by topic and then by Civil War. When you go to the site for a particular park, there will be pages for Teachers. Often they will have curriculum materials that include primary documents. For example, Manassas (150th anniversary at the end of July) has the following.

You might want to check out this site for the 150th anniversary of the war. Teaching with Historic Places