Menu

Favorite Cookbook

My husband loves to cook and he is an amazing cook! He often finds recipes on The Food Network, etc.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a really great cookbook for him?

We have food allergies but have adapted over the years and he has been using our Betty Crocker plus the internet.

Just thought there might be something special out there...

Thanks,

Rebecca

At the moment: http://www.amazon.com/Indian-Vegan-Kitchen-Healthy-Homestyle/dp/0399535306/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309222449&sr=8-1

If I could find a decent raw foodie book for people who have food processors but can't afford to nip out and buy a top class blender, dehydrator and juicer, it would be that. I'm looking forward to exploring raw foodiness.

I also like the Donna Klein books we have.

Rosie

What kind of food allergies?

I love my Betty Crocker 25th Anniversary Edition. Whenever anyone has had a question, someone will inevitably say "Well, go ask Betty!". But, alas, it is out of print now (big, fat sigh because mine was soft cover and has completely fallen apart, held together in it's now three pieces by a large blue rubber band, the pages have been glued together with ds's pancake batter and other pages are missing, but I can't find a cheap replacement).

Cooking Light has some great recipes, and mostly they use real food (and when they don't it is easy to substitute), and they kind of cover the gamut of what individuals like. They are online, a magazine and numerous cookbooks.

Going along with Rosie's suggestion, I like this one of the series. http://www.amazon.com/Tropical-Vegan-Kitchen-Meat-Free-Dairy-Free/dp/1557885443/ref=pd_sim_b_25 especially going into the summer months.

I have the Italian and Mediterranean ones, but I've wanted this one for ages. It isn't full of leaf coriander recipes, is it? :ack2: The reason I love her books is because they are authentic recipes, not just substituting soy products.

Rosie

Food allergies are dairy, tree nuts, coconut.

What is so special about Mark Bittman? I just read a review that stated that he discusses buying flour tortillas- but not how to actually make them?

Making them would be something we are interested in...

There were no sample recipes in the amazon viewer- so I couldn't get a real feel.

Thanks again!

Rebecca

Food allergies are dairy, tree nuts, coconut.

What is so special about Mark Bittman? I just read a review that stated that he discusses buying flour tortillas- but not how to actually make them?

Making them would be something we are interested in...

There were no sample recipes in the amazon viewer- so I couldn't get a real feel.

Thanks again!

Rebecca

Tortillas are amazingly simple.

2 cups flour

1 tsp salt

Add enough water to form a stiff dough (about 1/2 cup). Cut into 8 pieces for larger tortillas, 12 for small ones. I use a tortilla press.

They will be somewhat thicker and chewier than store bought tortillas, but that is a good thing, IMO!

Alternately, you can use masa harina and make corn tortillas. Mmmm.

We love Betty Crocker too!

Thank you for the recs.!!!

I don't have that food allergy cookbook. We have worn our Linda Coss cookbook (Food allergy) to total pieces over all these years.

Thanks for the tortilla recipe too! Yum!

Rebecca

We love Betty Crocker too!

Thank you for the recs.!!!

I don't have that food allergy cookbook. We have worn our Linda Coss cookbook (Food allergy) to total pieces over all these years.

Thanks for the tortilla recipe too! Yum!

Rebecca

I don't have that one, I'll check it out. We get a lot of recipes from the kids with food allergies database too.

I just bought a hefty sized Good Housekeeping cookbook at Barnes & Noble for part of a wedding gift. This was hardback and thick for only $9.98. It had many categories and several selections in various skill levels.

I also like the many Taste of Home cookbooks - but they don't always have nutritional values (if that is important to you)

Hope you find a good one!

Pam

I love my Betty Crocker 25th Anniversary Edition. Whenever anyone has had a question, someone will inevitably say "Well, go ask Betty!". But, alas, it is out of print now (big, fat sigh because mine was soft cover and has completely fallen apart, held together in it's now three pieces by a large blue rubber band, the pages have been glued together with ds's pancake batter and other pages are missing, but I can't find a cheap replacement).

This sounds like my red plaid BHG cookbook which I love. I don't really want to get a new one because they switch out some recipes and I want *this* book that I've had for 20 years. Then when I was getting ready to get some home school stuff bound at FedEx Office, inspiration hit. The pages were falling off the binding; I just pulled each page cleanly away. I cut the front cover and back cover off the side. I took the covers and pages in and had them coil-bound. I think it is now better than new--it lies flat!

Rosedale WHolefoods Cookbook :D Love it.

The recipe I use for tortillas is:

4 c flour

1 t salt

1/4 c butter

1 1/4 c water PLUS 3 T

I throw the flour and salt in a bowl mix with hands. Add butter and mix with hands until crumbs form. Add HOT water mix with hands until ball forms. Knead on counter for a couple of minutes or until nice and smooth. Let rest 15 minutes. Break into 12 pieces and roll out and cook. :)

The original recipe {Migraine cookbook} called for olive oil, but I found they were a tad tough that way and the adaption we made {butter and HOT water} made them soft and yummy. They freezer well too. :)

A few favorites...

The Silver Palate Cookbook

America's Test Kitchen (Family and Healthy Family)

Barefoot Contessa (all of hers are good)

Pam Anderson (all of hers are good)

Food blogs for good recipes...

simplyrecipes.com

thepioneerwoman.com

I'll 2nd Pam Anderson. My favorite one is How to Cook w/o a Book. It gives formulas and techniques that you can use with different ingredients to make a variety of dishes once you know the technique.

A google feature I just discovered is the Recipe search - it's awesome! Just type in a few of the main ingredients or what you are looking for and hit search, then on the left side of the screen you can click Recipes (or sometimes you need to click the More tab and the Recipes option drops down) and it pulls up a ton of stuff. Very cool, google!

Another favorite is Deborah Madison. I have her Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone and I just love it.

The Forgotten Skills of Cooking, by Darina Allen

"Ms. Allen runs the great cookery school at Ballymaloe, Ireland, near Cork, and this whopper of a book includes foraging among its 'forgottens,' along with how to draw and pluck birds, make butter and cheese, and tend hens. It doesn't tell how to milk a cow, though." --Wall St. Journal (London), Best Food Books of 2009

This transporting book ... will delight anyone who wants to connect with such endangered domestic tasks as churning butter, foraging, and making homemade apple cider. Allen is an astounding teacher, and her enthusiasm for good things and old-fashioned thriftiness is impossible to resist. She shares stories, recipes, tips, and techniques that will inspire you to craft all sorts of staples that these days usually come in packages from the grocery store. Once you taste your own vinegar and bread and cheese, and get into the swing of making them, chances are, you won't go back to the modern way. --Fine Cooking, March 2010 issue

How to collect carageenan from the shore and make pudding, how to make a duster out of a duck's wing, how to season a brace of birds, you name it, it's in there.

My other favorite is I Know How To Cook, by Ginette Mathiot

The bible of French home cooking, Je Sais Cuisiner, has sold over 6 million copies since it was first published in 1932. It is a household must-have, and a well-thumbed copy can be found in kitchens throughout France. Its author, Ginette Mathiot, published more than 30 recipe books in her lifetime, and this is her magnum opus. It's now available for the first time in English as I Know How to Cook. With more than 1,400 easy-to-follow recipes for every occasion, it is an authoritative compendium of every classic French dish, from croque monsieur to cassoulet.

Edited by justamouse

You have to try 'America's test Kitchen" Family cookbook, or even better the Healthy Family cookbook. I think you both might love it! I do!!! The family cookbook has American classics and the healthy cookbook has more veggies and whole grain based recipes. They are both great and since you said you had adapted other recipes to suit your allergies, you can do it here too. These are the best cookbooks and I wish someone had gifted me something like this when I got married. Would have helped a lot! :)

You have to try 'America's test Kitchen" Family cookbook, or even better the Healthy Family cookbook. I think you both might love it! I do!!! The family cookbook has American classics and the healthy cookbook has more veggies and whole grain based recipes. They are both great and since you said you had adapted other recipes to suit your allergies, you can do it here too. These are the best cookbooks and I wish someone had gifted me something like this when I got married. Would have helped a lot! :)

:iagree:

Definitely check out anything put out by Cook's Illustrated. You can check out their recipes on americastestkitchen.com or cookscountrytv.com. I have been making everything I've seen on Cook's Country's TV show lately and have not been disappointed.

The "big red cookbook" from ATK is my go-to cookbook. I also have a bunch of other Cook's Illustrated cookbooks, one of my favorites being their Best 30-Minute Recipe book.

Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child - I am not a good cook but this taught me so many practical things about cooking. And the Boeuf Bourguignon is really about the best thing I have ever tasted!

Essentials of Classical Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan - My favorites are the Tomoto and Onion Sauce, Cream and Butter Sauce, Butter and Sage, Pesto, and Bolognese Meat Sauce.

Now I'm getting hungry!! :)