Menu

How do you not curriculum hop

tuzor

So this year I am using an ecclectic mix of curricula that is different from my last years choices. My concern is how do I stop myself from changing my choices each and every year. Granted if the curriculum is not a match for your family you have to toss it. So this is my situation last year my oldest was K this year he is first. The only program I found that had some LA and grammar was CLE. Most curriculums begin a steady grammar instruction in second grade. So I chose CLE this year because I felt it was a gentle introduction, thinking that next year perhaps I would change. But when I look at the guidelines from the state for 2nd grade there seems to be a large jump in what's expected. Forgive me but I am not around tons of elementary students so I am not aware if most public school 2nd graders can identify nouns, adjectives, verbs etc. So I want to know how do you pick a program a stick with it. I am debating between three personally BJU, CLE and Rod and Staff. There are various reviews about each but I feel that I would like to have one choice and stick with it if thats possible. I don't know if this is making sense. Can anyone help me?

CLE can be used independently when your child learns to read well. This is a bonus if you have other children coming up that will need your attention for more mom involved lessons. I read on this forum that there are those that really like CLE for its ease of use, independence, and incremental reviews at the start of every lesson.

I have used R&S. It is thorough, but mom has to stay a bit involved, and it can get to be a lot of work for the student.

It is hard to stick to one program, unless you find a program that fits like a glove. Usually, I think people adjust the book to the child. It might also help to put blinders on after you choose, and make it work (unless it is a miserable failure).:001_smile:

I feel for you. I'm constantly hunting for the perfect curriculum for each of my boys. There's no doubt in my mind the baby will be just as challenging.

I wish I could afford BJU. Rod and Staff English and Saxon brought the oldest to tears. The boys never retained anything from AOP.

I don't know that you have to worry too much about changing grammar programs a bit in the early years? Most of them review the previous years each year. I know R&S does. I'm doing R&S 3 with my oldest, and he hasn't done R&S 2 (well, we did one unit, and it was too S-L-O-W, so I switched to FLL2 which moved a bit faster). We never even finished FLL2 - just went straight into R&S 3. It's not been a problem so far, though we've only just started. ;) I don't see anything in there that he isn't ready for.

I know people switch between FLL, R&S, and CLE pretty regularly without missing things. They're all fairly similar in scope & sequence, AFAIK.

I would recommend looking at your teaching style and what you're looking for in a curriculum. Are you wanting a workbook format? CLE is the choice. Are you wanting a lot of one-on-one, mostly oral, not a lot of writing? FLL is a good choice for that. Are you wanting a textbook with some teacher involvement but also some independent work? R&S is great for that. I don't know where BJU falls, as I haven't looked at it. All of those choices are likely to get you to the same point. You just have to figure out which one works best for you.

I expect to change curriculum a bit in these early years, as I figure out what works for us and what type of teacher I am. Sometimes I might change something just to keep myself from getting bored. :tongue_smilie: You just have to look at what you're changing and how it will affect things. Changing math programs every year can cause huge gaps, but changing grammar programs in the early elementary years? Not so much.

So did you like CLE LA? What is it about the other programs that makes you long for them? Answering those questions might help you make a decision.

I'm not ready to say someone is "hopping" if she uses one thing this year and another one the next. I'm more likely to think of "hopping" if someone tries one thing and drops it for something else after just a few lessons, and then drops that one, too. IOW, several methods/products within a year or two for the same subject.

Personally, because I have schooled an older ds (and two of my nieces) I feel like I have tried a wide variety of things. I know what I like and what I am looking for. I also know at this point I prefer to choose a program that I can stick with over the long haul. I hs'ed before the 1st WTM came out, and was still trying to decide what my educational goals were for the dc I was schooling. I like the WTM, and follow most of the suggestions. I have all three versions, so sometimes I may choose a curriculum that I like better and that was suggested in an earlier volume. I know there are reasons for the changes, but I also know that the authors have clearly stated that they cannot review or choose every single option they like, so they offer only some choices.

I do agree with a pp that said in the early years most are still trying to decide what they like. I have BTDT, that's why I find it easy to make a choice & stick with it.

I would recommend looking at your teaching style and what you're looking for in a curriculum. Are you wanting a workbook format? CLE is the choice. Are you wanting a lot of one-on-one, mostly oral, not a lot of writing? FLL is a good choice for that. Are you wanting a textbook with some teacher involvement but also some independent work? R&S is great for that. I don't know where BJU falls, as I haven't looked at it. All of those choices are likely to get you to the same point. You just have to figure out which one works best for you.

So did you like CLE LA? What is it about the other programs that makes you long for them? Answering those questions might help you make a decision.

I still haven't qutie figured out my teaching style. But right now I spend most of my time instructing and over seeing. I expect that dynamic will change as he gets older and can do more independent learning.

What I like about CLE- I do like that it is workbook. I felt going into first grade with a child that cried when pushed to write too much in K that workbook style was the better choice. I like how Rod and Staff looks but the idea that the child has to write out everything I don't like that.

What I like about Rod and Staff - I have no experience with this product other than some preschool activities. The reviews are great particullary for LA. When I look at the samples I like the way the information is presented but again I dont like that children have to copy every problem. And I dont like everything in black and white. So that's why I chose CLE it seems to be a mixture of both. (I have heard CLE described as Rod and Staff in workbook format)

BJU - I saw this one and I like that there is color. I have also heard great reviews about this curriculum. Specifically I like the grammar and writing instruction even though I feel the 2nd grade writing expectations are very advanced.

I feel I may stay with CLE this is the beginning of our first grade year and so far things are progressing well. But I think I will need a instructional guide for teaching writing. If I went with the other choices I would not to purchase additional materials. Also I have not heard of many people using CLE LA all the way through to the end of high school.

I do it like somebody else suggested: I make the books fit the child. I am not a slave to a curric. I use it as a guideline of what to teach. I may have to pull out the whiteboard and explain it differently. I may be able to let one child zip ahead and do it independently while I have to sit and work each problem with the other. But I like keeping a consistant scope and sequence and using products I am familiar with. So we just move up a level each year. How I use the product with each child may vary.

Well I found it a blessed relief, as I got busier, to be able to continue going with the next level of things. I think that will naturally happen for you, as things are working. There's *so* little that needs to be done at this age (1st is really a continuation of K5), that it explains why you're not seeing much. Have you read WTM? Personally, I find it freeing, in basically every subject, to know what I want to cover and know that I can change up how I'm doing it, either from year to year or whatever, but still be on track. I saw your state standards are doing that for you. You might find WTM even more comfortable, as it would connect those goals to actual curriculum recommendations.

The other thing you can do, if it's more of a shopping addiction, hehe, is simply decide now to start saving part of your school budget for later. I guarantee later, coming junior high and high school, you're going to find some eye-popping expensive stuff you want. And if saving now forces you into a little creativity or helps you rethink whether you really NEED those things or not, then that's a good thing.

But for your purposes, just enjoy this coming year and don't stress. 2nd grade does bump up, but it bumps up because the student matures. Right now he's SO little. Just enjoy. K5 and 1st were such a delight. You'll get more formal and workish later. For right, just keep on with what you've been doing. Get his reading solid and work on the math facts. Read aloud a lot, play a lot, explore, find something he enjoys and let him jump into it. You'll ramp it up later, as he gets older and needs it. :)

I use different programs from year to year. I don't consider that hopping. It just takes awhile when you are starting out to find the right fit, as others have said. For example, I love, love love R&S for its thoroughness but we are taking on a MIL with Alzheimer's right now so I needed to find some programs that weren't as teacher intensive so we switched to CLE for this year. In another year we will probably be able to switch back without so much as a hiccup. I don't necessarily think that switching most programs is a problem except for math. Even then, if you are switching from one spiral math to another spiral math the next year they will both probably be on the same scope and sequence. Where you would run into problems is switching from a spiral to a mastery then to a modified mastery then back to a spiral. You are going to end up with big gaps in that case.

I think, in my limited experience, that the same thing might happen with writing programs as well. Most writing programs aren't going to follow the same scope and sequence so you would end up with gaps in skills. What is the difference between math and writing and grammar? Maybe that grammar is more a matter of learning a specific set of rules whereas math and writing require learning rules too but are more about building skill upon skill...I don't know :tongue_smilie:...I'm just thinking out loud.

My personal rules:

1-Don't fix what's not broken. If something worked and we enjoyed it reasonably, no need to change it.

2-There is no "perfect" curriculum. There are LOTS of excellent curricula. If what I am using is excellent, then there is no need to change it.

3-The curriculum grass is not necessarily greener on the other side! What may be LOVED by someone else may or may not be loved by me and my kids! Don't change just because something else SOUNDS like it might be better, if what I have is already working.

4-I am teaching children, not curricula, not state-guidelines, not someone else's goals...children I know well, *my* children. What someone else is teaching and how early their children knew XYZ really has no bearing on what I am teaching and how early my children know something--therefore it is not a reason to change curriculum. When my kids are grown, no one will care if they knew what nouns were in 2nd grade or did algebra in 6th grade or....

I DO change if something isn't working. I judge that by how stressed it makes me to use it, if it takes an over-abundance of my time or produces underwhelming results, or by how much my kids hate it. If they just don't like a subject, that's one thing--but if it's overwhelmingly frustrating them, that's definitely worth changing.

WHEN I change....I look at as many samples as possible. In person if I can--if not, I look for samples on many suppliers websites as well as the publisher's website. Often the samples will be different on Amazon vs. CBD vs. Rainbow and so on. If I can't see enough, or if I have questions, I email or call the company. Their response sometimes dictates whether or not I'll use their curriculum. If my kids are struggling in a subject or if a curriculum isn't working for some reason, then it's definitely an area I'll need support. Support on message boards is helpful, but sometimes I also want support from the company. Last year I emailed one company and didn't get a response for over 2 months! I was surprised they finally emailed me! I had already moved on in my search long before they responded. I know not every company can get back in a day or two--but 2 months is ridiculous!

AFTER viewing samples myself, I show my child. We discuss pros and cons. We discuss what is not helpful in the current curriculum and talk about changes that they think would help. Sometimes looking at samples helps them to see what would help (I found this true as early as 7 years old, which is the first time I tried this strategy.) I want my kids to take ownership of their education, and this helps them in that process. And their ownership helps a lot with not needing to skip around as much. If they have "bought in" to a curriculum by helping to choose it, they are less likely to balk at it.

HTH some! And I hope you find some good products you can stick with. Not perfect--perfect isn't out there! But good is. Hang in there! Merry :-)

I read TWTM and pretty much chose based on their recommendations. I also like SWB's curriculum because it works very well for us.

I liked SOTW, so I stuck with it until we were done with that history series. I looked at a few different spelling programs that were recommended, and I chose the one that was most appealing to me(Spelling Workout). We have gone from Level A through Level G and never switched. I looked at a few math programs, and ended up choosing Saxon. We've gone from K to 7/6 and never switched (if it's not broken, don't try and fix it). I loved FLL, and I stuck with it through the whole series because it worked, and it was easy.

I've done the same for science and Latin. At some point, you have to choose a direction. I don't think there is a perfect curriculum. There might be some little things you dislike from time-to-time. I really don't spend too much time looking around at everything else, or comparing what I'm doing with what someone else is doing. My kids need to learn A, B, C and D, I need a good solid program for every subject, and I need to stay consistent. For me, it has not been that complicated.

If my kids were in school and the teachers kept switching around, it would bother me greatly. I would expect the school to do their research, and be responsible. If a teacher complained that my child just wasn't getting it, I would not automatically assume the curriculum was bad, but I would logically consider the other factors. I certainly think there are times that call for changing things up, and for moms out there that need to doing something fresh, that is ok too. I think we all get from A to Z eventually, we just take different routes to get there. I just can't handle the stress of headache of spending too much time trying to figure it out. School has been the one area of my life where I have been able to make a plan and stick with it.

Like Ellie, I also don't believe you are hopping if you move to a different curriculum after a full year with another one. For me hopping involves just getting started then jumping for the greener grass. When you do find what works for you, just settle on in. There's NOTHING perfect and I'm just about done my never-ending search in favor of "good enough and it gets done regularly" that is precious in my eyes. If I can use it regularly and tweak it for my children, I'm good. We really like R&S English and do it almost ALL verbally for second grade :). Actually we didn't start until half way through second after reading was really starting to click. Get reading down, choose everything else after that.

Thanks you guys. The advice has been very helpful. We will finish out our year with CLE and then see if we need to make a change. Its good to be reminded that I don't need to fix what's not broken and that there is no perfect curriculum. I don't know why I keep forgetting that. In addition another good suggestion was for me to contact the the curriculum company for them to answer questions. Thanks again guys.

I think when you feel a love for a particular curriculum it's easy not to swap!

We used the same curriculum for 6+ years. We loved everything about it and switching was HARD. I mean like scary kinda hard. As in I felt naughty doing it. :lol: Fact was I needed to change or I'd not be doing justice to my eldest child. So we switched.

It took a lot of research to make a choice, and I'm not sure if I'll stick with this curriculum FOREVER, but I feel confident in my choice for AT LEAST 2 years. After that we'll see if we continue forward or change. I'm hoping I'll be okay with staying, but should i decide to change I have two on my "backup" list. :lol:

If you move as far away from the States as possible, you will find that international shipping is prohibitively expensive. That in itself will be a good enough deterrent for you to order stuff and send it back. Then you'll be forced to make what you have work :lol:

It's simple. Stay away from this part of the boards. :D

:lol::lol:

My personal rules:

1-Don't fix what's not broken. If something worked and we enjoyed it reasonably, no need to change it.

2-There is no "perfect" curriculum. There are LOTS of excellent curricula. If what I am using is excellent, then there is no need to change it.

3-The curriculum grass is not necessarily greener on the other side! What may be LOVED by someone else may or may not be loved by me and my kids! Don't change just because something else SOUNDS like it might be better, if what I have is already working.

4-I am teaching children, not curricula, not state-guidelines, not someone else's goals...children I know well, *my* children. What someone else is teaching and how early their children knew XYZ really has no bearing on what I am teaching and how early my children know something--therefore it is not a reason to change curriculum. When my kids are grown, no one will care if they knew what nouns were in 2nd grade or did algebra in 6th grade or....

I DO change if something isn't working. I judge that by how stressed it makes me to use it, if it takes an over-abundance of my time or produces underwhelming results, or by how much my kids hate it. If they just don't like a subject, that's one thing--but if it's overwhelmingly frustrating them, that's definitely worth changing.

WHEN I change....I look at as many samples as possible. In person if I can--if not, I look for samples on many suppliers websites as well as the publisher's website. Often the samples will be different on Amazon vs. CBD vs. Rainbow and so on. If I can't see enough, or if I have questions, I email or call the company. Their response sometimes dictates whether or not I'll use their curriculum. If my kids are struggling in a subject or if a curriculum isn't working for some reason, then it's definitely an area I'll need support. Support on message boards is helpful, but sometimes I also want support from the company. Last year I emailed one company and didn't get a response for over 2 months! I was surprised they finally emailed me! I had already moved on in my search long before they responded. I know not every company can get back in a day or two--but 2 months is ridiculous!

AFTER viewing samples myself, I show my child. We discuss pros and cons. We discuss what is not helpful in the current curriculum and talk about changes that they think would help. Sometimes looking at samples helps them to see what would help (I found this true as early as 7 years old, which is the first time I tried this strategy.) I want my kids to take ownership of their education, and this helps them in that process. And their ownership helps a lot with not needing to skip around as much. If they have "bought in" to a curriculum by helping to choose it, they are less likely to balk at it.

HTH some! And I hope you find some good products you can stick with. Not perfect--perfect isn't out there! But good is. Hang in there! Merry :-)

Thank you, Merry. This is perfect! I'm cutting and pasting to my hs ideas notebook.

I'm not ready to say someone is "hopping" if she uses one thing this year and another one the next. I'm more likely to think of "hopping" if someone tries one thing and drops it for something else after just a few lessons, and then drops that one, too. IOW, several methods/products within a year or two for the same subject.

:iagree: For first through 4th we used a different grammar program every year. I never thought of that as hopping. That was just figuring out what we liked. We never dropped one in the middle of the year though.

I understand all to well and I have curriculum hopped. :tongue_smilie: I have changed some things at least twice within the year basically for no reason other than reading about something else that "looks better".

:iagree: with Merry! Hurray for that post! I need to read that this next year over and over until I get it down.:lol: I'm learning lots from this thread!

Thanks!!!

homemama

(GONNA GET A SIGGY NOW AND QUIT HOPPING ALL OVER THE PLACE!:lol:)

If you move as far away from the States as possible, you will find that international shipping is prohibitively expensive. That in itself will be a good enough deterrent for you to order stuff and send it back. Then you'll be forced to make what you have work :lol:

Funny!

It's simple. Stay away from this part of the boards. :D

:lol::lol:

This is so hard but I see the validity there.

Thank you, Merry. This is perfect! I'm cutting and pasting to my hs ideas notebook.

I too am going to print out what she said and keep it in my planning area.

I think it is hard not to always be looking at the "next best thing", especially when it is subject that I am not particularily fond of. We start R&S in fourth grade, and while we all find it boring, it gives a very SOLID foundation in grammar. I tell my children that not all school work will be fun and exciting (I know I could make it more fun, but I have told them I am NOT an entertainer :lol:). We do most of R&S orally, which has worked very well us. MY MAIN POINT IS, sometimes school work is tedious, and just plain boring, but it is important to persevere :D. Ds just received his ACT scores and he achieved a 35 in English!! So he knows the hard work is paying off.

I could say the same for math.

I also want to be clear that I do think it is ok to switch if a curriculum isn't working for you (kids are crying and not learning). I have certainly changed programs a great deal with history, spelling, and writing. Now that my children are older, I am hoping to do a lot less switching with our youngest.

If you like CLE, stay with it!!! Don't worry about what your school district is doing. I was talking to my sister the other day (she teaches 8th grade) and she says most of her 8th graders would have no clue what a direct object is!! I am glad my son does :). Many blessings to you as you continue your homeschooling journey!

Is there a HS bookstore near you where you can spend an afternoon browsing and comparing programs side-by-side? I find doing that helps me figure out whether a program is likely to be a good "fit" for the child. Also, often when I ask around in my support group I can find someone to bring a particular curriculum to park day for me to look over.

Is there a HS bookstore near you where you can spend an afternoon browsing and comparing programs side-by-side? I find doing that helps me figure out whether a program is likely to be a good "fit" for the child. Also, often when I ask around in my support group I can find someone to bring a particular curriculum to park day for me to look over.

Yes and no. There is Mardel the closet one is in the neighboring town. It is better for me to go there when I don't have the boys with me which is rarely. So I do most of my reviews on christianbook, rainbow resource, cathy duffy and homeschool reviews. It helps significantly but of course I like to touch a product look at various chapters etc.

I have been pleased with all my original choices, in main cores anyway. I wasn't pleased as much with History and Science so we are switching those this year and am hoping that works better. Part luck, part research. I would guess there is expected to be tweaking along the way as you figure out your style, their strength and weaknesses. Some teaching styles and curriculum styles I though sounded great, like unit studies- Galloping the Globe and such. In theory I still like it but I like to see direct linear progress in skill areas and it was too scattered for me. Now, I realize to that sticking with curriculum is so much less work as well. I am getting into the groove with Right Start and it continues to go easier for me.

We start LA this year with SWB's materials and I hope they go as well as I think they will. We have already started SoTW for next year and so far I think it will work well for us. I think FLL and SoTW will be good as it a good amount of oral, which he seems to like. Of course I guess when the next one comes up there will be some tweaking to figure out what works for her. I also try to go by reviews. I read negative and positive and also try to look at what those people like and find ones that are similar. I do plan to switch Math next year, but I wouldn't consider that hopping as there is a specific plan and timeline. Same with LA we are doing SWB for this year but haven't got any commitment to any length but plan to not switch any mid year- or so is the hope.

Honestly, were it not for WTM I would be hopping all over the place. The first couple years we hs'd I did hop a bit. This is the first year I feel solid in my decisions and know we won't change. This is our 4th year homeschooling so that might have something to do with it too!

I have found when I follow the WTM recommendations closely I am much less likely to hop or wander. Simple and solid works well for our family. It gets done. It's not always the most glitzy or glamorous, but it does the job and my kids are learning and thriving. I'm happy because I can teach 4 kids and still be sane.

No curriculum is perfect and I find that I modify most curriculum I use. Not re-write it, just modify it for each particular child if necessary according to their strengths/weaknesses. I now also know my teaching style so I can look at something and know pretty well if it's going to work or not. I look for things that complement the WTM method as I'm totally sold. For instance... I struggled through Logic history for a bit, but settled on History Odyssey because it so closely follows WTM recommendations. I know it will work because it will follow a path we've already started out on. It's not drastically different from what we have already done that works.

I think part of this issue is time you've been hsing and part is age of your kids. When they are young you are still getting to know them as students. You may pick things at first that don't work well for them or for you as the teacher. Then you modify or change.

I don't know if everyone is the same, but as much as I like change... it's even better to find something that works for my children and see them thrive in it as they continue on. The pieces start coming together and they know they are doing well and learning. That's better to me than trying the next "best" thing. ;)

I feel like this post is long and that I was rambling. I hope you readers understand it.

Yes I agree with most are saying about learning my teaching style and then my child's strenghts and weaknesses. Then on top of that the way each child learns is different which sends me on another whirl. For example last year when we started K with my oldest I thought oh wow I like this and that and I will use for the next child. Well my middle child is more advanced than my first was when he was three, but my middle is wired completely different so those materials that I saved were not a match. So I was on the hunt for a different curriculum so to speak. Anyway I digress.

Ulitmately I guess I have to keep telling myself that I am homeschooling I cant hs and public school at the same time. So I have to relax a bit when it comes to what the state says each child should learn in each grade. I have had this mindset that I will look at what the state requirements are prior to putting my curriculum together. While this is not a bad idea, it causes me to look at tons of curriculum. While I am looking at the various curriculum I begin to have doubts and feelings that I am not doing enough or that what I am doing is not challenging enough. As I research I make plans to use product A for this year product B for another year etc. But I still feel like wow changing curriculum each year can't be great for the child.

So I am resolved to continue with what I have this year, tweak where I have to. Then next year if there has been progress I will order from the same vendors. (If it's not broke don't fix it) I think that will take a lot of stress out of my planning for the year.

Sometimes, you can take the curriculum and adapt it to different learning styles, thus still reusing the same curriculum. ;)

I've done that somewhat with grammar programs. I made both FLL and R&S work for my oldest, who learns grammar quickly and easily but is writing phobic. The more I use the curriculum, the more I feel confident about veering away from what the curriculum says to do necessarily. I'm still teaching the material, but I may present it in a different way.