Menu

Makeup - Tell me what you know!

I am trying to get ready to reenter the workforce. So I am now working on better personal hygiene. Shaving legs more than once a year etc :lol:

My daughter said I need to cleanse, exfoliate face and moisturize too - I NEVER do. She is also teaching me techniques for applying (modest) makeup.

She has bought me several eye shadows and I ending up giving them all back to her. Then last week she showed me Este Lauder (sp?) and I absolutely love their creamy eye shadow pots!

Anyway, what makeup tips, techniques and brands can you all share with me?

my goal is to get into an easy, fast routine - nothing complex :001_smile:

Thanks!

I've never worn a lot of make up. Not on any job. I've been a teacher, a disability rights advocate, a lawyer, a SAHM/homeschooler, and now I teach part time again. If you have good skin, for job interviews, learn a good simple makeup routine that includes blush, lipstick, and little bit of eye shadow.

I do recommend exfoliating daily. You can add this to your shower routine. It really helps the look of your skin and you can keep the make up minimal while you get used to the make up routine.

For everyday while you are getting used to the make up routine always where lipstick. It makes a huge difference in how look. I can go from "washed out" to bright and cheerful with just lipstick. Start with subtle shades and as you get used to wearing lipstick try darker ones.

You could visit a dept store make up counter and get advice on shades for your skin. Years ago I learned I was a "winter" through some color analysis thing. Knowing this helps me pick make up and clothing colors that work.

I highly recommend going to the cosmetics counter at your local department store and asking if there's a makeup consultant who can help you choose colors and teach you to apply makeup.

This spring I let my daughter start wearing makeup. Her coloring is different from mine, and I didn't know what colors to buy for her. I went to the Nordstrom Clinique counter and asked for help. Lo and behold, there was going to be a makeup fair a few weeks later! My daughter got a "free" makeover (actually not free, because we ended up buying lots of Clinlque products) and learned how to apply it correctly. The consultant gave her lots of skin care tips, too.

I'm no beauty queen, but when I wear makeup, here's what I have.

Covergirl powder/base combo (apply w/sponge)

Eyebrow pencil

I'd do some light brown eyeliner if I had any

light blush

lipstick

Never use eyeshadow that is the same color as your eyes unless you're going for an early 80's Cindy Lauper look. (i.e. if you have blue eyes, try a bit of brown and "blush colored")

I don't do maskara. My eyes don't like it.

Congrats on getting back into the workforce!

I have a VERY simple make-up routine. Takes me only 3-5 min.

1. Apply moisturizer.

2. Apply foundation.

3. Apply eye shadow. Most days I just use a neutral beige and only on the lids (for special occasions, I'll apply 2-3 complementary shades, going darker in the crease and lighter on the brow bone).

4. Apply mascara (top lashes only).

5. Apply rouge very lightly to cheeks (on cheekbones), light swipe on forehead, light swipe on bridge of nose, and chin. Blend in.

6. Apply lip gloss. Lip gloss gives your make-up a more natural look (vs. heavier shades of lipstick) and you don't have the problem of "stray lipstick" getting on your teeth.

Done! :)

I use mostly Maybelline for all of the above (except for lip gloss - I love Victoria's Secret lip glosses). I've tried more expensive make-up brands and didn't notice a difference.

My tip: If you're going to put on eye shadow, you should also wear mascara. You don't have to overdo it, just a little is fine.

I love makeup and wear it most days. If I'm not in the mood to spend 5 minutes (which is how long it takes me to do a full face), I will just use Bare Escentuals (mineral foundation), light blush, mascara and lip gloss.

Oh and one more tip. :) If you decide to use a foundation, find one that matches your skin tone. Not lighter, not darker.

Everything I know I learned from Paula Begoun's websites (cosmeticscops.com and beautypedia.com) and books: The Original Beauty Bible and Don't Go To the Cosmetics Counter Without Me. She's all about evidence based skin care- what works, what doesn't, what's worth the money. She points out that even the excellent product lines have good and bad products, so she recommends you look at each product individually.

She has some really helpful videos on the Cosmetics Cop website, and Beautypedia has tons of reviews of products. I never buy anything anymore without checking her reviews first.

What is best for you will depend on your skin type.

I have dry skin and my routine is to wash with Cetaphil and exfoliate with a washcloth, then apply a little Cetaphil lotion and then makeup in the morning. At night I use Clinique makeup remover, then wash with Cetaphil, and apply a prescription strength retinoic acid/hydroxyquinone cream.

I use a bunch of different brands for makeup. I only buy Paula's "best products" from her beautypedia site, and have finally found makeup I really like. Her videos are really helpful for learning technique. The most helpful tip I have is to use good quality brushes. Don't use the brushes and sponges that come with the makeup. They're almost always junk.

Edited by Perry

If you are not a big makeup wearer.

Tinted moisturizer w/spf , that kills 3 birds w/one stone.

Creme blush

A light all over eyeshadow than a shade darker for the lid to the crease, if you want to accentuate perhaps a brown waterproof eyeshadow and a good waterproof mascara.

Nude llipgloss or a light color, nothing crazy.

PErsonally I love Dior makeup.

1. Wash face

2. Exfoliate every other day

3. Rinse and pat dry

4. Tinted moisturizer

5. Fill in eyebrows if I have a tan (they're so light they get lost)

6. Eyeliner if I had to fill in my eyebrows

7. Brown mascara on top eyelashes only

8. Lipgloss

I have a different routine for summer versus winter. There's a lot more moisturizers in the winter. :)

I use Philosophy for cleanser and moisturizer.

Mary Kay for tinted moisturizer/foundation. (I mix the two together).

Stila cream blush. I really like their One Step Prime color. You can use it for cream eye shadow, cheek color or lip color.

Mary Kay pressed powder.

I have a variety of powder eye shadows. I like the ones by Sephora, Ulta, and Sonia Kashuk (available at Target). I tend to use more neutral colors: tans, browns, warm pinks.

Mascara is by Ulta and I do sometimes wear eye liner on my upper lid. I like Ulta's gel liner in the pot w/ a brush. I think it's the easiest way to get a consistent line without tugging on your eyelid with a pencil.

My general advice for the workplace is go for a neutral look. Unless you're going into a field that a dramatic, sparkly look is expected, I think the more natural and polished, the better.

Congrats!

I finally found a mineral powder make-up that I could wear. It has streamlined my make-up routine down to 5 minutes for everyday make-up, 10 minutes tops, if I play with eye-make-up more.

First wash, then a good moisturizer. I let it soak in for about 5 minutes while I fix my hair, then mineral foundation, a hint of powder blush, 2 complementary eyeshadows, brown or black eyeliner just on the top lash line, mascara and a tinted lipgloss or lipstick. Brush my eyebrows into place and I'm good to go.

For everyday, I don't wear eyeshadow, just the liner and mascara, and instead of gloss or lipstick, I use a lipbalm with shea butter.

I don't wear a lot of make-up, but I am amazed at how much better I look with groomed eyebrows. I'd make sure you do that and hit them with a brow brush in the morning. It's really amazing.

:iagree: I got mine tweezed once by an esthetician just so I could know what a good brow line should look like on me. Since then, I just pluck the stray hairs underneath and between the brows to keep them neat. Mine aren't terribly thick or unruly, so I can get away with just brushing them quickly in the morning and maybe checking them once later in the day.

Some of it will depend on the industry you'll enter. For most of the business world, you need light make-up. If your skin is pretty good, then mascara and a lighter lipstick is enough. If you want to wear eye shadow, go with more neutral colors.

If you are older, like me, or feel you have too many flaws in your skin, then a mineral foundation powder will work well. It smooths and covers but still looks and feels natural.

One of the industries I worked in was the make-up industry. Stay away from heavily perfumed and sparkly make-ups, especially for every day. They are ok for evening wear once in a while but they are not good for your skin or eyes.

The cheaper make-ups are made from the same bulk as the more expensive ones but with less perfume and glitter. Some colors are reserved for the higher end products too. Otherwise, they're pretty much the same. So, don't be fooled by the packaging.

I haven't kept up with the brands so you'll have to go try different ones. I used to like Clinique by Estee Lauder.

Have fun exploring. Make-up can be fun. I hope your job hunt goes well.

Denise

If you want your eyeshadow to stick around, and not migrate to the crease of your eyelids or fade after a few hours, then get Urban Decay's Primer Potion. You put it on all over your lid before you put eyeshadow on. It helps eyeliner to stay in place too. It keeps my eyeshadow looking fresh for 8+ hours, even on hot days.

There are also primers for your face. I don't use one, but it's something to keep in mind if you have a problem with your makeup fading or sliding.

Try mineral makeup! I think it feels a lot lighter than liquid foundation; it doesn't even feel like I'm wearing any. There are lots of brands of mineral makeup, not just Bare Escentuals. I like Everyday Minerals.

If you're going to wear eye makeup, *please* put something on your lips, even if it's just a lightly tinted sheer gloss. The whole eye makeup + death-lips-fading-into-oblivion does not equal a good look. Plus it helps keep your lips moisturized.

I also recommend Paula. :) Although I was upset to see that some of her SPF products contain ingredients that are now being questioned on safety.

Did you catch the thread about sunscreen? You'll want to check the ingredients in any SPF moisturizer or SPF make up.

I also recommend Paula. :) Although I was upset to see that some of her SPF products contain ingredients that are now being questioned on safety.

:iagree:

Love Paula also. Dislike some of her ingredients, particularly in her sunscreens.

I don't wear make up at all, but am considering concealer for dark under eye shadows, specifically YSL Touche Eclat since it was recommended so highly here by someone (sorry, can't remember who, but I am grateful).

The only make up I do wear is tinted lip balm from time to time.

I used to wear lots and lots of make up. I feel that I look better without it. Dh agrees. I dislike make up looking too obvious, or even obvious at all.

My question: about foundation - I have never been able to find the right shade. Ever. Even with professional make up artists in NYC walking outside the store with me onto the street. I'm talking a famous make up artist that used to (at that time anyway) appear on TV talk shows. I would always end up with a horrible line of demarcation. Hate that obvious look. :glare: Should i just stick with nothing, tinted moisturizer, or what???

I have a shiny forehead that I would love to hide. But I dislike too much powder.

I like to take care of my skin and exfoliate regularly.

I also like to have my eyebrows professionally waxed and tweezed once a month.

The only times that I seem to even think about make up are when we travel. In my day-to-day life here - teaching my dc and a very simple life that we have (me being quite an introvert), I really don't feel the need to wear make up much at all.

I guess my problem is that I've been watching too much of What Not to Wear and Carmindy has me hooked. :)

Edited by Negin in Grenada

my daughter has to mix two foundation colors to match her skin tone :glare:

Man, oh man, that's too much work :glare:. I'd rather go without. It's something I would have considered doing back in the day, but not with my lifestyle and where we live, where hardly anyone wears heavy make up.

I wish there was an EASY way to look nice that didn't look obvious that just looked natural, that made you look like you always get 10 hours of sleep, never suffer stress, have just fallen madly in love, you KWIM ... :lol: Wishful thinking, I know.

Most of it is healthy living anyway - diet, sleep, exercise, fresh air, and most importantly being happy and content. :)

Man, oh man, that's too much work :glare:. I'd rather go without. It's something I would have considered doing back in the day, but not with my lifestyle and where we live, where hardly anyone wears heavy make up.

I wish there was an EASY way to look nice that didn't look obvious that just looked natural, that made you look like you always get 10 hours of sleep, never suffer stress, have just fallen madly in love, you KWIM ... :lol: Wishful thinking, I know.

Most of it is healthy living anyway - diet, sleep, exercise, fresh air, and most importantly being happy and content. :)

And lots of water. :)

I'm sure you tried this with the makeup artist, but what about mineral makeup? It's easy to blend, although I do have a friend who combines two colors, so I know there isn't a mineral color for every skin color.

I cleanse every morning in the shower and exfoliate a few times a week with my normal cleanser and a Buf Puf (easy does it with that thing)! I moisturize directly out of the shower -- pat skin dry with a soft towel and apply moisturizer. Then I get dressed and brush my teeth while my moisturizer soaks in.

My make-up routine is minimal and takes all of 5 minutes. I apply L'oreal mineral powder foundation and blush, Cover Girl eye shadow, mascara (I forget the brand, but it curls your lashes for you so that you can skip that dreaded metal contraption altogether), and tinted lip balm (I've got braces so I skip lipstick in favor of something that draws less attention to my mouth).

I have found it worth the minute it takes to apply eyeshadow, even though the shadow I wear is very light and you might not think it would even show up. It gives a more polished, pulled together look.

I'm not big on makeup, but I love it when these threads pop up. They always inspire me to do a little more than my "I wouldn't be caught dead without this" routine.

My everyday, no matter what routine:

Exfoliating face scrub in the shower. I use the St. Ives Exfoliating Apricot Scrub

Eye liner (Generally dark brown, navy, or gray. I had a lovely, almost black, purple that I'm trying to find again. It was my favorite.)

Mascara (brown-black)

What I'd really love to add to my daily routine, especially because it doesn't add more than about a minute:

Concealer (wherever needed... right now that's under my eyes and right around the bottom of my nose because it gets all blotchy there during the summer)

Lipstick/gloss (just a little)

All of the above is what I did yesterday, and I will admit I felt much better with just the little extra. Of course, I am about 38 weeks pregnant and was battling the combination of feeling like a cross between a beached whale and a duck, with puffer fish feet :glare:. So the little extra went a long way to making me feel more human :lol:

On the rare occasion when I get all "gussied up" I also wear "foundation" (tinted moisturizer really - I hate the feel of foundation) with a light dusting of powder over top, and eye shadow (browns or purples).

Ideally, I remember to wash it off at the end of the day (just warm water for me with a little bit of soap if I need it - I can't use any of the commercial removers), but in reality that only happens about 50% of the time.

• Wash
  • Moisturize
  • Foundation
  • Setting powder
  • Blush that is put on the apples of your cheeks and then up toward your hairline. Do not just streak a line of blusher up each side of your face. You are not a going to war with the neighboring tribe. Oh, and make sure it blends nicely with your natural tones. I saw a lady at the market a couple weeks ago who had orange lines on each side of her face. You aren't going to clown school either.
  • 1-2 neutral eyeshadows
  • Mascara

Remove each evening with cleanser. Exfoliate if you are up to it. Apply toner and then moisturizer. Don't forget under your chin, neck and decolletage.

I got the book How to Not Look Old from the library (I think that's about the title.) Anyway, she gives some good tips -- one of the things that stood out to me is to wear pink lipstick. I think it's funny when I watch old movies and they're wearing dark lipstick -- it definitely dates them.

What about getting in touch with a Mary Kay salesperson? I have a wonderful lady that does a great job teaching me.

• Wash

• Moisturize

• Foundation

• Setting powder

• Blush that is put on the apples of your cheeks and then up toward your hairline. Do not just streak a line of blusher up each side of your face. You are not a going to war with the neighboring tribe. Oh, and make sure it blends nicely with your natural tones. I saw a lady at the market a couple weeks ago who had orange lines on each side of her face. You aren't going to clown school either.

• 1-2 neutral eyeshadows

• Mascara

Remove each evening with cleanser. Exfoliate if you are up to it. Apply toner and then moisturizer. Don't forget under your chin, neck and decolletage.

Blend blend blend blend blend! That's why I like the cream blushes. Easy to blend and they go under my powder, so it's a more natural look (on me, anyway).

Your comment about warring with a neighboring tribe made me :lol:

Blend blend blend blend blend! That's why I like the cream blushes. Easy to blend and they go under my powder, so it's a more natural look (on me, anyway).

Your comment about warring with a neighboring tribe made me :lol:

Can you tell it is one of those things that makes me crazy. I so want to go up to women with a decent blush brush and blend, blend, blend.

Oh, and off topic but along the same lines. The check out girl yesterday had a ring in her lip. Sadly it wasn't a good fit or color. It just looked she had some freakish mole growing out of her bottom lip.

Didn't read all the replies...

Just wanted to say that Charla Krupp's book (How to Not Look Old, I think it's called) has some great suggestions. I recently added a foundation primer to my makeup routine, and that makes my mineral makeup lay down better and stay put. I do like minerals, they have been great.

Stay away from too-dark lipstick. That's out. No lip liner. You want something neutral, natural, leaning towards pink tones if anything.

I also just started using philosophy skin care, and have been quite pleased. After all, you have to think about taking all that makeup OFF at the end of the day, too!

I'm not big on makeup, but I love it when these threads pop up.

Me too. :)

My everyday, no matter what routine:

Exfoliating face scrub in the shower. I use the St. Ives Exfoliating Apricot Scrub

I also exfoliate every morning and/or evening. I alternate nights with Paula's Choice BHA Gel, which I absolutely love, and a bunch of other stuff in the mornings. One evening I exfoliate. Then I skip. Same thing for mornings. I apply a mask once a week.

Exfolia Cloth

Baking Soda paste

DHC Facial Scrub (which I just got and am excited to start using)

Mary Kay Timewise Microdermabrasion

What I'd really love to add to my daily routine:

Concealer (wherever needed... right now that's under my eyes and right around the bottom of my nose because it gets all blotchy there during the summer)

Me too. I hope to find the perfect concealer. I hope I won't need powder and all the other junk also. I just want simple, effective, and natural. Hope I find it. Someone here recommended YSL Touche Eclat and I'm going to look into that.

I got the book How to Not Look Old from the library (I think that's about the title.)

I really should get this book. I've often been reluctant since I'm not a huge make up person anymore. I also don't plan on dying my hair. Other than skin care, which I really like to take care of, I'm quite low-maintenance, I think, compared to many, or, at least, compared to what I used to be. ;) I have and love Charla's other book - How to Never Look Fat Again. Fabulous book.

Wow! Thank you all for the tips and advice. I have a routine down now - nearly. The only frustration right now is foundation. Since I have (good skin but) never have had a skin care plan, my skin needs care first before I find a foundation that is a good fit. To me, when I put foundation on it looks to me like makeup sitting in my pores. Just seems like my skin isn't meant for foundations. But I will do the skin care regiment for another few weeks and then try again.

Skin care is that apricot scrub and Serinity face cleanser, then moisturizer.

Eye makeup is Estee Lauder double wear

Natural-pinkish tone Mary Kay lipstick

Cheeks and founation - still working on that :)

Edited by 5KidzRUs

I love Mary Kay's Creme to Powder foundation.

You don't need an expensive exfoliating product, just a little baking soda mixed with your normal face wash.

I also use bronzer instead of blush.

I also use a very nude shade of lipstick, then use a tinted gloss over it. It gives just a bit of color.

Everything I know I learned from Paula Begoun's websites (cosmeticscops.com and beautypedia.com) and books: The Original Beauty Bible and Don't Go To the Cosmetics Counter Without Me. She's all about evidence based skin care- what works, what doesn't, what's worth the money. She points out that even the excellent product lines have good and bad products, so she recommends you look at each product individually.

She has some really helpful videos on the Cosmetics Cop website, and Beuatypedia has tons of reviews of products. I never buy anything anymore without checking her reviews first.

What is best for you will depend on your skin type.

I have dry skin and my routine is to wash with Cetaphil and exfoliate with a washcloth, then apply a little Cetaphil lotion and then makeup in the morning. At night I use Clinique makeup remover, then wash with Cetaphil, and apply a prescription strength retinoic acid/hydroxyquinone cream.

I use a bunch of different brands for makeup. I only buy Paula's "best products" from her beautypedia site, and have finally found makeup I really like. Her videos are really helpful for learning technique. The most helpful tip I have is to use good quality brushes. Don't use the brushes and sponges that come with the makeup. They're almost always junk.

Ditto.

I now use Smashbox primer underneath my mineral foundation and it helps prevent the look of makeup settling into pores. I paid about $18 for the trial/travel size at Sephora. A little goes a long way, the small size has/will last for months.

Negin, was that MK timewise dermabrasion okay for sensitive skin? The regular timewise collection is wonderful, my skin likes it (and it doesn't like much, let me tell ya). I have not tried the dermabrasion yet but I am tempted.

Just wanted to say that Charla Krupp's book (How to Not Look Old, I think it's called) has some great suggestions. I recently added a foundation primer to my makeup routine, and that makes my mineral makeup lay down better and stay put. I do like minerals, they have been great.

Downloaded a sample of it today to my Kindle before going to the hairdresser.

Liked it.

Downloaded the entire book and read the whole thing at the hairdresser's - while spending 4 hours there today. Love that book. :D

Thank you, and thank you, Missisemick, for recommending this.

You don't need an expensive exfoliating product, just a little baking soda mixed with your normal face wash.

:iagree:

Paula Begoun (cosmeticscop) says this also.

I do this a few times a week, or, sometimes once a week. Love it.

Negin, was that MK timewise dermabrasion okay for sensitive skin? The regular timewise collection is wonderful, my skin likes it (and it doesn't like much, let me tell ya). I have not tried the dermabrasion yet but I am tempted.

My skin is not very sensitive, so I can't honestly say. But I can say that I think it would be okay. The grains are quite fine. I think you'll be fine. When I think of this product, the words "silky" and "gentle" do come to mind.

BTW, always love your avatar pic. :)

I have been told by two estheticians (and I myself, being a former esthetician MANY years ago) was also told this - but can't remember the reason - to avoid those harsh apricot-type scrubs. I think it's just common sense. Too harsh and rough. It's always better to err on the side of babying the skin, to be cautious and gentle with it. Good reminder for me also.

Diorflash is awesome, so is their blush. Expensive but worth it.

If you are trying mineral makeup, its not for everyone. It does not look good on me.

Interesting. Good to know.

Years ago, when I used to wear make up, the Dior mascara was absolute heaven. Loved it. :D