Menu

Another poll :) What subject do you consider to be the CORE subject in your HS?

Halcyon

What subject is the CORE of your HS?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What subject is the CORE of your HS?

• History
    • Math
    • Science
    • Latin
    • Writing
    • Other

I consider reading the core for us - reading aloud, reading for pleasure, reading for learning, and just learning to read, because my kids are so young. Reading permeates a lot of our day in different ways.

:iagree:If I couldn't say reading, I would say history. It is not what I want to be the core, but my dd is so obsessed with history that it gets woven in to everything else.

I picked 'other' but I believe it is what I consider 'language arts.' Here's the thing... math and arithmetic are a language, grammar and writing and spelling and reading english are most obviously language arts, Logic is a type of language study, their piano study is another type of language art, Latin and spanish are part of our language study, it is very important to me that my children be scientifically literate and so I spend a great deal of time with them learning the language of science. I can also use science and history as a means for teaching about writing.

So, I think to others our school looks very history focused, but I am always thinking of almost everything as a study of language.

Let me put it another way: when we have a bad day, and nothing much gets done, we still do math.

:iagree:

I didn't vote, but I'm with wapiti. We always do math. No matter what. Latin is a close first because we can always decline a noun just before bed :D.

I recently added memory work by having DD memorize about 3 poems per week and having her recite her repetoire almost every day.

Also, reading aloud to DD is important here, whether it's listening to us or listening to an audiobook.

Edited by crazyforlatin
Misread question

We always do math. Always. We also always do Latin and Writing. It would be either Math or Latin right now, I think. Reading, for me, is not a subject in and of itself as we do it across the curricula, so it's more of a skill. We read constantly.

We always do math. Always. We also always do Latin and Writing. It would be either Math or Latin right now, I think. Reading, for me, is not a subject in and of itself as we do it across the curricula, so it's more of a skill. We read constantly.

I agree that for me reading is not really a subject and maybe that's why you didn't list it in your poll. Reading (including read aloud time) is so pleasurable for DD that it's like being in a playground.

I know writing is just as important as math, but DD is just not at that physical stage yet.

I chose History because it is that on which we base our studies. Our history studies center our decisions for science study, writing assignments, literature, reading, poetry, art, music and art appreciation, handicrafts, field trips, copy work, dictation, memory work etc...etc...

We do not base our Math or Grammar off our history, but I do have my kids study mathemeticians and mathematical discoveries as well and parsing sentences etc. from our history studies.

Faithe

English Language is our core -- reading, phonics, spelling, handwriting, read alouds, listening to audiobooks, memory work & recitation, vocabulary, grammar, copywork, dictation -- it's all related to learning how English works. If we didn't do anything else at this level, we would do English.

Math! Arithmetic, algebra, geometry, counting/probability, logic (modern not Aristotelian), trigonometry, calculus, topology, real analysis ... all that, plus math competitions and math club, how can there be room in life for anything else? Isn't the reason for homeschooling just so you can be doing math any time, all the time?

Sorry, please excuse me, I was channeling dh and our brainwashed oldest dd for a moment.