Menu

So who writes their own curriculum?

sweetbaby

Having been a professional technical trainer and professor, and with graduate work in instructional design, it really wasn't that bad. You outline your goals and objectives, and then fit your material around it and include a list of supplies and books. You roll in review. These were custom course with lapbooks that I designed as print-outs.

I enjoyed those days, but frankly it's a lot of work for not much $ if that's what you're looking for. A number of folks approached me about marketing them more widely (like Ria did for My World Science), and frankly I said no after doing a lot of investigating. I could make a little if they were download products through Lulu or Curclick (which didn't exist then), and almost nothing if I marketed them myself. I do better per hour as a part-timer professor teaching required courses.

You outline your goals and objectives, and then fit your material around it and include a list of supplies and books.

:iagree: This is what I have done is creating my science stuff, several unit studies we have done or are going to do and our vocabulary for next year. I always start with the big picture what am I studying, what goals do I have, what approach will I take and so on. Then I look for resources/books that are out there pertaining to what we are studying(the local library loves me during this phase!). With that information, I begin to formulate what it's going to look like week by week and how I want to lay out the week (ie. will I use activities, if so how?, same for vocabulary, narration, reviews and others). Next, I'll create an overall outline and then go back and plug in the resources I've decided to use week by week. From that I develop a day by day plan. That's the basic process for me! I enjoy it, but I agree with GVA, there's not much money in it (even with Lulu) :D!

I'm writing an Islamic history curriculum. I got together a timeline for myself and roughly divided it into four semi-equal segments, but it turns out that it doesn't flow quite so nicely as that, lol. I'm working through it now with my kids, I have a textbook and a workbook in progress. Once I got the timeline written out, I have found it fairly straightforward to then "flesh it out" from there.

I had also started a teacher's manual, with the workbook answers, recommended books and other media, and Qur'anic references tied in, but I was anxious to start using it with my kids so I've left the teachers bit and focused mostly on the text and workbook.

Many people have theoretically asked me to publish it (meaning, they've only seen bits and are judging off of that), but like GVA mentioned it seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth. My main issue right now is copyright.. I've used a lot of pics in the text, and I did make an effort to use free-use pictures as much as possible, but there are quite a few for which I could find no provenance. I'm still toying with what to do -- I'm not pretending it's anything fantastic, but since to my knowledge nothing like that exists out there, it's better than nothing, lol.

I'm considering setting up a website and putting it up there, I've chatted with a couple of professors regarding copyright and internet usage, I'm still trying to work that out. I'm happy with what my kids are getting out of it, which to me makes all the effort worthwhile, but not sure where I want to go with it from here (and even if I do, kwim?)..

Kate

I wrote a spelling curriculum for 1st, 2nd, and 4th graders. Also a little bit of grammar for those years.

Right now I'm writing a Froebel-based kindergarten curriculum. I'm getting some very good help from members of the Hive! I'd love to be able to write everything, because nothing I can find is perfect... but I think it would take so much time.

I love doing it! I kept having thoughts about copywork being applicable to my kids history work that would be easy to fit into our day. I wanted primary sources, poetry, and narratives. So I put it together.

I am doing the same thing for my kids with Spanish. The Spanish work is harder because I don't speak Spanish. But I think this actually gives me insight from the perspective of the student. I determine the scope and sequence. I target the grammar to be learned. I write the sentences. My fil does the translations for me. I develop the text lay out.

For next year, I pulled out Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish book and a college text that I had and looked at the grammar that I think my kids need to know in order to learn to read in Spanish. And I put it together in a way that my kids will enjoy.

Kimberly

Ummm.... working on a writing curriculum! For awhile I was trying to get it out as my youngest was going through the levels but then that got to be too much....one level each year was too fast. So now unfortunately she's gotten ahead of the levels as they are coming out. I'm just watching what she's doing now and using it for research.

I don't know - as I use other curricula, I begin to develop my own things in the back of my brain. Things that would be the way I would like to teach them, or material the way I would like it presented to my own child. I have a little Latin curriculum sitting in my dusty "brain attic" right now, and a music appreciation curriculum waiting to be born....all sorts of things waiting to get out!

I'm fascinated by the products that are coming out by other homeschool moms. I often think that those of us that are really in the "trenches" really know what we like, what works for our students, and what other moms are looking for. My dream is to create a parent publishing company for all of us that are struggling to self-publish our own works. I spend so much time on the publishing end of things, that precious little time is left for the part that I love - the writing.

Katie in Arabia, Wow! An Islamic History curriculum sounds great! And Elemental Science looks really great!

I agree. One of the reasons that I am interested in designing my own curriculum is because I can't find anything that meets every criteria that I would like to see in a curriculum.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions. I am definitely taking notes here. This is something that I really want to explore.

Oh, Kimber! I didn't know you had written a Spanish curriculum. I'm going to check it out!

I write schedules for some curriculums like Minimus and My Pals are Here science which don't have a lot of direction as to what to do each day.

I created my own phonics program based upon the SWR phonograms but using pictures and key words to trigger the memory as to what sounds those phonograms make.

I have written my own third grade english curriculum based on the grammar picture books by Ruth Heller and incorporating progymnasmata exercises in narrative writing.

I also created a set of worksheets and charts to go with SWR's spelling lists but derived from the spelling enrichment ideas listed in the WISE guide.

:001_smile:

I'm in the middle of writing a writing curriculum. I'm doing it more as a hobby and wanting to share an exciting approach that has been very successful in our home than as something from a business angle.

I don't know that I could do it if I had any other type of motivation. I am having fun and feel zero pressure. I don't expect I'll make much money (definitely notas much as you would expect for how much time it is taking me to write.) If it weren't for doing it for enjoyment, I wouldn't do it at all.

Math is my thing so I pretty well just teach what I want (lower grades). Ditto for basic skills like calendar and such. But I am not writing it down and selling it though. I do from time to time type in little ideas of things I di..but that is it.

I do, however, pull together diverse resources and write lessons plans that fit together all the pieces.

I've done this for history/literature, art history, and (as of next year) science.

I love it, because it gives me the freedom to select just the right materials for my family and to provide my kids with a great education for a fraction of the cost of purchasing prepared curricula.

I do, however, pull together diverse resources and write lessons plans that fit together all the pieces.

I've done this for history/literature, art history, and (as of next year) science.

I love it, because it gives me the freedom to select just the right materials for my family and to provide my kids with a great education for a fraction of the cost of purchasing prepared curricula.

:iagree: That is what I did for our US history curriculum this year. I ended up using spines I found at thrift stores and pulling in various time specific books. I rounded it out with historical fiction and we've had a great time with history this year. Although I had to tweak my own plans a lot it has flowed nicely.

I wouldn't say that I write my own, but I do design my own in the sense that I choose the topic, research books and resources to teach what I want, and implement it.

I have always designed my own science -- for the last 9 years. This year, we are working through an invertebrate study I designed, and next year we will work through a vertebrate study.

I designed all of my history curricula in the same fashion when I homeschooled my oldest -- from 4th grade through 9th grade.

I created my own phonics program based upon the SWR phonograms but using pictures and key words to trigger the memory as to what sounds those phonograms make.

I have written my own third grade english curriculum based on the grammar picture books by Ruth Heller and incorporating progymnasmata exercises in narrative writing.

I also created a set of worksheets and charts to go with SWR's spelling lists but derived from the spelling enrichment ideas listed in the WISE guide.

:001_smile:

Oh, Christy!

Do you have these posted at lulu or somewhere that's easy to share? Sounds wonderful!

1. Pick main topic. Find out what the typical grade level information is taught and decide our own scope and sequence based on my children's academic level.

2. Learn about sub-topics, figure out which ones to highlight

3. Pick spine(s) that fit my tastes and address the topics

4. Pick supplemental books for the highlighted sub-topics including fiction and nonfiction and within those pick out independent readers and read alouds. Also decide which books to buy and which to get from the library at this point to help with the bottom-line price.

5. Pick activities/projects/experiments that correspond to either the main topic or one of the sub-topics. This may include getting a worksheet (book) type supplement, also checking online for free worksheets.

6. Find other supplemental (fun) things to do: field trip, videos to watch, buying visual aids, aligning nature studies, etc.

then...

-Figure out how long the study will be (weeks), usually based on how many sub-topics highlighted and how many days a week.

- plan a full lesson with all the bells and whistles, allowing for an opportunity to pick and choose on the actual day of study.

Hope this helps

yeah - I would have to say I put together my plan, especially in history, but I don't consider what I do "writing my own curriculum". I do like plans like TOG, but have found that at this point that is not the best choice for us (many reasons - I have so many books I would prefer to use than buy new, nothing quite seems to fit our worldview etc) that I feel like I write our history curriculum by choosing our topics, finding the resources and planning projects etc. I think most of us probably create a lot of what we use in that we take all the great ideas out there and put together a plan that works for our kids. I have never followed any one curriculum, or managed to even do any program exactly as it is laid out. That is the beauty of homeschool ! :)

I'm writing my own science (physics) curriculum and history (middle ages) this year. I will most likely do my own art history curriculm as well.

Here is how I'm doing it:

1. Choose Spine(s)

2. Make a table on Word with the subtopics found in the spine, page numbers, and related activities.

3. Fill in table.

4. Mark a calendar with sub topics

5. Plan a week by week plan where I list supplies needed, and other notes as well as information from the table.

We'll see how well it goes. This is my first year doing it this way. I also keep lists on my computer of different books/resources as I stumble across them.

I also have a letter of the week curriculum in my head that I may put together. It was a wash with my Kindergartener this year, but turns out he has some auditory processing issues and phonics is not the way for him.

Jo

http://www.xanga.com/birthstudent

I'm writing an Islamic history curriculum.I'm considering setting up a website and putting it up there.

Kate

Wow, well if you ever do, let us know!!

I expect I'll end up having to write a local history unit study. I'd get started now, but I have no idea where we are going to end up. Hope hubby will make some kind of decision one day. Contract work is rotten.

Rosie

I forgot, I also wrote my own middle ages and renaissance music history material, which I posted here a few years ago, but I think I lost it when I had to restore my computer. :glare:

Dawn, I have it saved if you want it again. :o)

and what subjects do you write? I know that Jessica (Trivium Academy) and Elemental Science are writers. Has anyone else given it a shot? I'm curious about trying this perhaps later on down the road. Could you share your process?

I decide what books I want to use, then spreadsheet them so the eras fit together. I also produce assignment sheets with titles for writing tasks. The spreadsheets are in the side bar of my blog (address in siggy).

Laura

I prefer to pull my own schedules and routines together from my favorite resources. I pick a history time period and science focus and pull together things that fit us. What many HS moms describe as "lesson plans" are actually schedules that pull together a myriad of Favorite Things.

I don't write curriculum or lesson plans with objectives, vocabulary, narrative description of lesson, assessment, etc. A script or narrative with outcomes is what I think of with curriculum writing. I find it an waste of my time. No, I do that only in my head or as the lesson develops naturally.

I like to think we are natural learning-based and not outcome-based. I like to keep things open-ended and structured at the same time. : )

yeah - I would have to say I put together my plan, especially in history, but I don't consider what I do "writing my own curriculum". I do like plans like TOG, but have found that at this point that is not the best choice for us (many reasons - I have so many books I would prefer to use than buy new, nothing quite seems to fit our worldview etc) that I feel like I write our history curriculum by choosing our topics, finding the resources and planning projects etc. I think most of us probably create a lot of what we use in that we take all the great ideas out there and put together a plan that works for our kids. I have never followed any one curriculum, or managed to even do any program exactly as it is laid out. That is the beauty of homeschool ! :)

So true!

1. Pick main topic. Find out what the typical grade level information is taught and decide our own scope and sequence based on my children's academic level.

2. Learn about sub-topics, figure out which ones to highlight

3. Pick spine(s) that fit my tastes and address the topics

4. Pick supplemental books for the highlighted sub-topics including fiction and nonfiction and within those pick out independent readers and read alouds. Also decide which books to buy and which to get from the library at this point to help with the bottom-line price.

5. Pick activities/projects/experiments that correspond to either the main topic or one of the sub-topics. This may include getting a worksheet (book) type supplement, also checking online for free worksheets.

6. Find other supplemental (fun) things to do: field trip, videos to watch, buying visual aids, aligning nature studies, etc.

then...

-Figure out how long the study will be (weeks), usually based on how many sub-topics highlighted and how many days a week.

- plan a full lesson with all the bells and whistles, allowing for an opportunity to pick and choose on the actual day of study.

Hope this helps

Jessica, this is great! Thanks so much!

I think homeschool moms write the best curriculum because they understand intimately what a homeschool mom needs. I wrote my curricula mainly because I couldn't find anything that did exactly what I wanted to do in the areas of science and history. So, I just took a little extra time to polish up what I planned to do with my kids, and took the extra time to actually write it down instead of just doing it.

I've written some science and a history. I have several ideas for revamping my curriculum and I get endless requests for followup curricula. But for now I've had to put that on hold for a while, and just work at it ever so slowly when I have the time. The biggest challenge for me is making sure that I kept it in balance - meaning, making sure that teaching my kids is the main focus and not letting the business engulf my life. I have to consciously make the decision to keep homeschooling my OWN kids as the #1 priority - especially while they are still young and somewhat high maintenance from a HS perspective. It is a struggle sometimes, especially when you know that people like your stuff and you feel somewhat obligated to them as well since they are depending on your materials in THEIR homeschool.

Here is another thing to seriously consider - if you decide to write a curriculum and then market it, there's a good chance that people are going to love it!!!! That's what happened to us. We wrote this stuff as kind of a hobby and then were completely unprepared for the response we got the first year. We spent many wee hours in the morning packing 20 and 30 orders in the garage!

Be prepared for the time it takes to keep up with it from a business standpoint - fielding phone calls and emails, packing boxes, having an inventory on hand of materials you can ship when people decide they love what you've done, etc!

Having said all of this, I still encourage you to write away! We need more good, curriculum choices! I still can't find a history that is 'just right'!

As far as marketing goes, Rainbow Resource is a good first start. If you have something you think is worthwhile, contact them about submitting a sample for them to review. That is how we got started, and it just took off from there by word of mouth. If your stuff is good, people will talk about it and it will sell itself.

That's all in this terribly long post. I'm off to the ballpark now.

I'll be glad to answer any questions any of you may have. Just post here and I'll read them later this afternoon.

Sandi S.

Do you have any links to the curriculum that you had written? I would love to see them.

I think homeschool moms write the best curriculum because they understand intimately what a homeschool mom needs. I wrote my curricula mainly because I couldn't find anything that did exactly what I wanted to do in the areas of science and history. So, I just took a little extra time to polish up what I planned to do with my kids, and took the extra time to actually write it down instead of just doing it.

I've written some science and a history. I have several ideas for revamping my curriculum and I get endless requests for followup curricula. But for now I've had to put that on hold for a while, and just work at it ever so slowly when I have the time. The biggest challenge for me is making sure that I kept it in balance - meaning, making sure that teaching my kids is the main focus and not letting the business engulf my life. I have to consciously make the decision to keep homeschooling my OWN kids as the #1 priority - especially while they are still young and somewhat high maintenance from a HS perspective. It is a struggle sometimes, especially when you know that people like your stuff and you feel somewhat obligated to them as well since they are depending on your materials in THEIR homeschool.

Here is another thing to seriously consider - if you decide to write a curriculum and then market it, there's a good chance that people are going to love it!!!! That's what happened to us. We wrote this stuff as kind of a hobby and then were completely unprepared for the response we got the first year. We spent many wee hours in the morning packing 20 and 30 orders in the garage!

Be prepared for the time it takes to keep up with it from a business standpoint - fielding phone calls and emails, packing boxes, having an inventory on hand of materials you can ship when people decide they love what you've done, etc!

Having said all of this, I still encourage you to write away! We need more good, curriculum choices! I still can't find a history that is 'just right'!

As far as marketing goes, Rainbow Resource is a good first start. If you have something you think is worthwhile, contact them about submitting a sample for them to review. That is how we got started, and it just took off from there by word of mouth. If your stuff is good, people will talk about it and it will sell itself.

That's all in this terribly long post. I'm off to the ballpark now.

I'll be glad to answer any questions any of you may have. Just post here and I'll read them later this afternoon.

Sandi S.

What did you write? Curious now!:001_smile:

and what subjects do you write? I know that Jessica (Trivium Academy) and Elemental Science are writers. Has anyone else given it a shot? I'm curious about trying this perhaps later on down the road. Could you share your process?

I am confused. Reading the replies to this thread has me wondering whether or are referring to writing curriculum or to pulling together your own curriculum. I see these as distinctly different.

I see writing curriculum as developing a unique curriculum that is independent from other resources and may end up being marketed to homeschoolers. Not many homeschoolers do that.

I believe the majority of homeschoolers put together their own curriculum.....picking and choosing from different sources, creating their own booklists, following different interests, etc. I do not see that as writing curriculum, but simply creating an educational plan.

Which is it you are considering doing in the future?

I have found that I am almost incapable of writing a schedule. The idea of pulling together many resources for our yearly work leaves me paralyzed. I simply can not do it.

Because of that inability, I started writing out for each day what my children should learn--according to me--in Spanish. When I finish, I have the entire year planned out with each day's work laid out per page or two. It's far easier for me to design a book than it is to organize a schedule. I simply can't schedule. I really wish I could. I think my home would be much more organized.

Kimberly

I meant throwing together your our curriculum for your homeschool. Now, that could be in the form of tweaking what you have. Although, some have actually written their own. I just basically wanted to know the PROCESS of getting ideas together so that I would have a clue as where to begin if I wanted to do this also. Tweaking, that is! But I have enjoyed reading about how others have written their own curriculum. Awesome! Sorry, if I confused you.

Yes, I agree -- that's why I clarified in my post that I compile my own resources rather than rely on a company to tell me what resources to compile. Sonlight compiles resources as well, but they also provide a book with questions and things and a schedule. Many companies are doing just that these days. Some people don't want to take the time to pull together their own tailor-made plan. I'm not the kind of person that really likes scripted questions, particularly for young grades, because I just ask things that pop into my head. I also cannot operate on another person's schedule.

I do also write my own objectives quite often, choose vocabulary I want my children to know, and have even made up my own tests for the older grades. I've made up grammar, math, and science tests.

I did actually write my own music appreciation/history resources to supplement some other resources we were using because I felt the middle ages and renaissance were skimmed over quite a bit. I made my own tests too.

Your site looks great!

And I agree that homeschoolers tend to write really good curriculum. I was just telling my dh that my favorite curricula are those write by homeschoolers.

Apologia Elementary

Classical Writing

Writing Tales

IEW

Exploration Education (he's a teacher, I'm not sure if he homeschools though)

Story of the World

First Language Lessons

These are the programs we've used in the past 3 years in our home. And I can see from this thread, there are even more that I have to investigate.

:)

Kimberly

I have made worksheets and other materials to supplement bought curriculum (ETA: Aesop's fables copywork, A file for memorization, History Timeline template, timeline pictures, memory cards and some work pages to go with SOTW1 and SOTW2, Composer timeline pics)

I;ve also written level one of a spelling program because I couldn’t find what I was looking for (no frills, rules based with dictation sentences). I'm working on level 2.

See the links in my signature.

Guest Amy in MS

I love your work, Hannah! I saw the new composer cards. We just finished our timeline of the ancients, thanks to you.

Have you anything past chapter 25 of SOTW II, yet? Hope I'm not coming across as demanding :)

Amy

I love your work, Hannah! I saw the new composer cards. We just finished our timeline of the ancients, thanks to you.

Have you anything past chapter 25 of SOTW II, yet? Hope I'm not coming across as demanding :)

Amy

I'm glad you like and use the materials Amy! It's really nice to get the feedback.

Chapters 26-30 of the workbook are up at the group. Chapters 31-35 will be up in the next day or two.

I don't mind you asking. It's the incentive I need to get it done! We're doing the activities from the guide in a small group together with two other families one afternoon a week. Things have come up now and again, so we’re moving through the book slower than a chapter a week. It's a bit frustrating, but the benefits of sharing preparation and presentation of the activities with two other moms, and the benefits for dd to work in a group outweigh the drawback.

p.s. I did try to reply to your mail, but yahoo bounced it back twice.

I meant throwing together your our curriculum for your homeschool. Now, that could be in the form of tweaking what you have. Although, some have actually written their own. I just basically wanted to know the PROCESS of getting ideas together so that I would have a clue as where to begin if I wanted to do this also. Tweaking, that is! But I have enjoyed reading about how others have written their own curriculum. Awesome! Sorry, if I confused you.

Oh, in that case I fall under this category (pulling things together to form a study).

Sorry, my kids seem intent on playing "20 questions" with me right now. . .I'll try to get on later to answer.

It was for a homeschooling class. I used some good resources for the baroque on up but there is almost nothing out there earlier than that. I had crossword puzzles and everything.

There is are a couple sites out there that you can use to generate crossword puzzles and word searches. I grabbed some graphics and added them in.

I searched the internet for CDs that would give listening examples, hunted down my old music history text as well as a few other resources, and went chronologically.

The plan for the following year was to go into some non-western and folk music but my daughter was born as my son needed to be added to my homeschooling list and I thought it best not to continue an outside class for now.

I sheepishly admit I have not taught the class to my son, outside of playing a little of the ancient music examples. I'm a better designer of curriculum than an implementor. :blushing: