Menu

Hs'ing with a 3yo

Dinsfamily

I've checked the other toddler threads and can't find what I'm looking for. I just started doing full school with my K'er today and that left my 2.5yo high and dry for a playmate. This little guy is fabulous about playing on his own but I can't handle the aftermath. He's a walking tornado.

So...can anyone suggest some activities for him that don't require me to help him with but will keep him occupied for more than 5 mins? We have pattern blocks and he likes those but he needs some variety. We also have a myriad of buiding toys but I need something new that is special for school. I like the look of MFW's toddler package but wanted to know if there was anything else great out there. I am not interested in workbooks or anything that requires coloring. He is an active little boy and none of that would work.

My 3 year old is about to turn 4 this summer. My only advice to you is NAPTIME is your best friend! When I started K with my oldest, my second was about the age of yours. We maximized NAPTIME and knocked out all of school during that hour and a half!

If my napper woke up before we were through, then I let her watch Leapfrog Letter Factory (this taught her all her letter sounds at the age of late two, early three!) or an educational cartoon on PBS (I keep Curious George, Sid the Science Kid, Wordworld, etc. DVRd on my TV at all times so it's easy to start an episode anytime I need it to finish school). I know that using TV as a babysitter is not the best thing in the world, but when I just need that extra 30 minutes to finish, I'll use it!

Back when DD started K I took DS#3 to the educational supply store and allowed him to help choose some manipulative items for use only during school time. I also used a sensory tub to help keep DS busy. (Although I should add that I still use the sensory tub and ALL the kids love it.) I would look at Montessori style, independent activities.

Edited by BLA5

I have found that if I spend some time with my youngest child first then he is more likely to let me work with the older ones without interference.

One of my older ones was a tornado 2-year-old who grew out of it pretty quickly. So while that doesn't help you this week, you might not have this problem for all of Kindergarten.

I have found that if I spend some time with my youngest child first then he is more likely to let me work with the older ones without interference.

One of my older ones was a tornado 2-year-old who grew out of it pretty quickly. So while that doesn't help you this week, you might not have this problem for all of Kindergarten.

:iagree:

My younger ones liked the wipe-off books, the wipe-off mazes were the favorite. Also, I would make them about once a week or two a tot book from www.1plus1plus1plus1equals1.com/TotBooksTotPacks.html

They took effort on my part each time I made them, but lasted a long while. Really kept my tot busy with their school work. I have also given them a little chalkboard, magnets with a small surface to work on...ohh playdough works well for mine.

My 3 year old is about to turn 4 this summer. My only advice to you is NAPTIME is your best friend! When I started K with my oldest, my second was about the age of yours. We maximized NAPTIME and knocked out all of school during that hour and a half!

If my napper woke up before we were through, then I let her watch Leapfrog Letter Factory (this taught her all her letter sounds at the age of late two, early three!) or an educational cartoon on PBS (I keep Curious George, Sid the Science Kid, Wordworld, etc. DVRd on my TV at all times so it's easy to start an episode anytime I need it to finish school). I know that using TV as a babysitter is not the best thing in the world, but when I just need that extra 30 minutes to finish, I'll use it!

I'm trying to keep nap time sacred since all of my boys rest at the same time. The older two read while the little guys nap. I'll use it if I have to but I'm trying to explore other options first.

I do love Leapfrog. I'm sure it was a big contributor to my 2nd reading before 3. It's in my bag of tricks.

He doesn't really interupt us. He likes playing on his own but my playroom suffers. I do hope your right about growing out of it. My 2nd ds wasn't like this. He'd play with only a couple of toys at a time while I did K with my oldest. Part of my problem is that I'm schooling a 2nd grader as well takes longer than when I just had 1 K'er.

Edited by Dinsfamily

Back when DD started K I took DS#3 to the educational supply store and allowed him to help choose some manipulative items for use only during school time. I also used a sensory tub to help keep DS busy. (Although I should add that I still use the sensory tub and ALL the kids love it.) I would look at Montessori style, independent activities.

Good idea! A trip to Lakeshore Learning might be in order.

My younger ones liked the wipe-off books, the wipe-off mazes were the favorite. Also, I would make them about once a week or two a tot book from www.1plus1plus1plus1equals1.com/TotBooksTotPacks.html

They took effort on my part each time I made them, but lasted a long while. Really kept my tot busy with their school work. I have also given them a little chalkboard, magnets with a small surface to work on...ohh playdough works well for mine.

How about magna tiles? A box of beans for him to sort, sandbox, a big tub of water to play on the sink... Do you have a safe backyard for him to play and you can school your K'er there as well?

Thanks! I'll check these out.

Melissa & Doug and Montessori both do some fantastic toys. One of them a "lock box" is what I really want for my son, its basically a box with a heap of doors, with different kids of locks on them.

MFW as you suggested do the lauri? toys as well. Crayons, plastic scissors and paper, train set.

I don't have many ideas other than that LOL, its the main reason I got sonlight 3/4 so theres at least one extra activity that my 2yr old will enjoy, we just combine p3/4 & p4/5 and all the kids do everything.

I hope you find what your after xxx

I don't have many ideas other than that LOL, its the main reason I got sonlight 3/4 so theres at least one extra activity that my 2yr old will enjoy, we just combine p3/4 & p4/5 and all the kids do everything.

I hope you find what your after xxx

That's exactly what I did when my oldest was in K. It was a great year! I'm sure you all will have a lot of fun.

I'm going to look for that lock box. Sounds right up his alley.

I have 30 gallon size ziploc bags with a different preschool activity in each. I just let them pick an activity pack and the little ones can either play together, or by themselves. They also have lots of manipulatives like peg boards, cutting foods, gears and small puzzles...

set1.jpg

set2.jpg

set3.jpg

they may do one activity for 5 or 10 minutes, but they'll switch through the bags FOR HOURS! :) Some of my bags:

A cutting bag with strips of construction paper, yarn or strings, glue & a pair of kid scissors or two. I stick in a couple paper plates for them to cut onto for "soup", but it also contains the mess and sometimes they use the glue to make a mosaic on the paper plate, then I file the plate with the others! ;)

cutpaste-1.jpg

Wipeable (laminated) mazes & either dry erase markers or dry erase crayons (my personal fave), a small eraser or piece of felt to erase with.

magnetic board games--we use our whiteboard as a magnet board and have tons of packs with magnetic story boards (think felt board peices, but I've laminated them with a magnet to put them on the white board. They can play that alone, together, or sometimes we do them as "school" and I'll read them the book while they put the story on the board...

Here's a magnetic Food Group Sorting game:

learningboard2.jpg

I'll add more in another post--I've reached my image limit! :)

And the solar system w/ labels (I made these with pics i found online):

learningboard1.jpg

A hammering activity (oriental trading):

manipulatives.jpg

Pattern blocks (RR):

manipulatives2.jpg

Sorting & Pouring activities (Target $ spot):

manipulatives4.jpg

manipulatives5.jpg

Beading (Oriental Trading):

manipulatives3.jpg

Pegboards (Oriental Trading)

pegboards.jpg

wipeable shape tracing cards (Scribd):

wipeableshapes.jpg

Counting Cards (Confessions of a homeschooler):

wipeablecountingcards.jpg

I made this version to use with clothespins:

manipulatives6.jpg

A button sewing activity:

manipulatives7.jpg

We have also found the home made bubbles love! :)

superbubbles.jpg

2C Water

4 TBS Dish Soap

2 TBS Light Karo Syrup

We used wire hangers and pliers to make the bubble blowers--then wrapped the wire in wool yarn I had dyed a couple years ago--they work SO well and make HUGE bubbles! :D

This is always my plan, but I have the hardest time actually doing it. My 1 year old and 3 year old are horrible night sleepers, so I fight myself each day not to take a nap myself! :001_smile:

So...can anyone suggest some activities for him that don't require me to help him with but will keep him occupied for more than 5 mins?

Nothing & everything.

The issue is less "which toy" but the training of the will to be still and play for 15-20 minutes. Mamas switch toys because they think that the toy will hold the attention for twenty minutes. Truth is they need to train the child to play with the toy, any toy, for twenty minutes, happily.

Bubbles, chalk, cut & paste, coloring, blocks, cars, anything....

I have 30 gallon size ziploc bags with a different preschool activity in each. I just let them pick an activity pack and the little ones can either play together, or by themselves. They also have lots of manipulatives like peg boards, cutting foods, gears and small puzzles...

they may do one activity for 5 or 10 minutes, but they'll switch through the bags FOR HOURS! :)

These all look great!! This is what I'm after. Those bags look like they would keep hm quietly occupied for hours. I think I'll be pretty busy this weekend :) Thanks for sharing and for the pics.

Alayna, the pictures are incredible! I am copying your ideas! I am so impressed! Thank you for sharing!

Wow rootsnwings! You have some wonderful ideas.

These all look great!! This is what I'm after. Those bags look like they would keep hm quietly occupied for hours. I think I'll be pretty busy this weekend :) Thanks for sharing and for the pics.

You guys are welcome!!! :) These bags save my sanity most everyday. The idea is certainly worth sharing!!! If you guys know some other moms locally you could organize a preschool activity bag swap. That's how I got started. 19 other moms and I worked together to create 20 bags of one activity (around $20 each in supplies)... then we all got together and swapped out bags...so we each got 20 different activities. Then I created about 10 or so more and everytime I make something for them, I just put it in a gallon size bag and file it with the others (in a plastic tub w/ a locking lid). It works GREAT and keeps everything organized and mess to a minimum! :)

My ds just turned 3yo, and here are some things that he enjoys:

Floor puzzles

Lacing cards

Lacing beads

Sequencing cards

Dry erase materials (I have books, cards, and whiteboard)

Word Whammer

Matching games

Computer games (Starfall, Poisson Rouge, PBSKids, etc.)

An idea that I tried but didn't work out for us: Put a big towel on the floor with a bucket of water and lots of different size containers. Many kids love to pour! Mine didn't like getting wet, but he is weird that way.

Honestly, I don't think that you are going to find anything to keep a child that age occupied for more than 5 minutes at a time, because that is about their attention span. But perhaps you can string some of these activities together.

Also, my ds loves to participate in school, so I try to include him where I can. I let him sit on my lap when we are doing math. I noticed that you are using SWR, which we use, too. Ds3 likes to be included when we do phonogram drills and games.

Best of luck.

An activity I turn to in times when I desperately need my 2 and 3 yo out of my hair is: Dishwashing.

Yes, it is messy, but I strip them down to diaper/shorts, lay down a towel and let them go to it. They get a shallow pan filled with water and a little dish soap, an old tooth brush and small rag. They get to "wash" all the toys from their little kitchen. Remarkably, they have not dumped the water on the floor, and they are happily entertained for up to one hour. Messy, but worth it. I don't do it very frequently, but I turn to it in times of great need...:D

My ds just turned 3yo, and here are some things that he enjoys:

Floor puzzles

Lacing cards

Lacing beads

Sequencing cards

Dry erase materials (I have books, cards, and whiteboard)

Word Whammer

Matching games

Computer games (Starfall, Poisson Rouge, PBSKids, etc.)

An idea that I tried but didn't work out for us: Put a big towel on the floor with a bucket of water and lots of different size containers. Many kids love to pour! Mine didn't like getting wet, but he is weird that way.

Honestly, I don't think that you are going to find anything to keep a child that age occupied for more than 5 minutes at a time, because that is about their attention span. But perhaps you can string some of these activities together.

Also, my ds loves to participate in school, so I try to include him where I can. I let him sit on my lap when we are doing math. I noticed that you are using SWR, which we use, too. Ds3 likes to be included when we do phonogram drills and games.

Best of luck.

You are probably right about the attention span. I just don't want to spend 10 mins getting him set up for an activity that will only last him 5 mins. If he can go to another activity by himself and not destroy the house in the process, I'll be very happy.

My now-5yo loved doing school with us when my oldest was in K. He was a very early reader and loved phonogram drills. This guy is very different. He's not interested at all. He's one that would love to get wet, though.

An activity I turn to in times when I desperately need my 2 and 3 yo out of my hair is: Dishwashing.

Yes, it is messy, but I strip them down to diaper/shorts, lay down a towel and let them go to it. They get a shallow pan filled with water and a little dish soap, an old tooth brush and small rag. They get to "wash" all the toys from their little kitchen. Remarkably, they have not dumped the water on the floor, and they are happily entertained for up to one hour. Messy, but worth it. I don't do it very frequently, but I turn to it in times of great need...:D

I'll put this on my list. He would definitely enjoy it.

Preschool Activities in a Bag has tons of ideas on how to create those cool preschool bags for cheap. It also gives directions to organize a swap so you don't have to make them all yourself. Right now they are on sale too.

I hate to admit this, but I've been letting my dd watch Little Bear and Blue's Clues while I work with my son. He's in the middle of a very teacher-intensive project. But before the TV phase, her behavior was a lot better if I spent time with her before working with my son.

I don't have any advice. (I need it myself!) I have a 3 yr old and a 14 month old. I'm sure by August the baby will have given up her morning nap. That means whatever I will use to occupy the 3 yr old will be sabotaged by his little sister....which will lead to screaming, etc....I may have to let them both wash dishes! Next year will be tough.....

Try checking into Kumon My First books. They are $5-6 on Amazon. There are a handful designed for 2 year olds. My dd turned 2 in April so she will be 2.5 when school starts back in August. Each of my kids get their school books and supplies wrapped in a box as a present (education is a gift). I can't let my sweet Savannah feel left out. So here is what is in her box:

• handful of Kumon My First books
  • bucket of colorful foam shapes of different size to sort (by shape, by size, by color)
  • a few "new" books for our reading time
  • Letter Factory (I love Leap Frog)
  • coloring pages printed off and put in a brass tab folder (homemade coloring book)
  • chunky princess crayons from AC Moore
  • Sesame Street 123 Count With Me and Cookie Monster ABCs DVDs
  • toddler scissors for my first cutting
  • 2 new wooden jigsaw puzzles - actual puzzle pieces, not the nobby match a shape stuff
  • letter magnets for the fridge
  • and I am debating a glue stick (clearly to be kept out of reach with the scissors!)
  • new pack of play-doh just for her

That is all I have come up with so far. I was going to do the Leap Frog fridge ABC magnet thing but Savannah turned the animal one into a concert instead of playing with the magnets. I'll save the $20, thank you.

Other ideas, if you haven't done them:

• create a bucket of toys RIGHT NOW that only come out during school time. If your dc doesn't see them all summer, they are new in the fall. ;)
  • love the water bucket / small wading pool idea for water play
  • love the sand table idea (we keep ours in our unfinished basement all winter... 7 months of winter = 7 months of sweeping up sand - the upside... 7 months of hours of entertainment for her and her older brother and sister!)
  • play house
  • play kitchen
  • pots and pans
  • play food
  • it is the age of imagination... use yours and you'll go far
  • rotate the kids - work with 1 child while the other plays with little one and then switch the older kdis

Good luck... I'm right there with you

Nothing & everything.

The issue is less "which toy" but the training of the will to be still and play for 15-20 minutes. Mamas switch toys because they think that the toy will hold the attention for twenty minutes. Truth is they need to train the child to play with the toy, any toy, for twenty minutes, happily.

Please share how you do this, get kids to extend their play time with a toy? My dc just cries and yells for something new.

My littles do best near me. So, our schooling involves me working with a dc with littles sitting in my lap, at my feet, and/or on the other side of me. The littles play with math manips during math time, they listen in on phonics lessons, and pretend to write during handwriting. If an older dc is working on a white board, one of the youngers usually has a white board as well. I include the youngers in almost everything, if they are interested.

K at our house is about 30 minutes of time with me, but that time can easily include a younger sibling.

Many of the Pam Schiller books have tons of printables in the back (usually half or more of the books is printables) .I have two books, The Complete Book of Activities, Games, Stories, Props, Recipes, and Dances For Preschoolers and Creating Readers, along with access to many others from our library and will be using those with my little guy. I also have a collection of books with Montessori activities and will be adding that as well. The Montessori approach is based a lot on the child working independently and learning through discovery.

Edited by Guest

Lots of neat ideas! I'm going to have to try them here!

One thing I didn't see mentioned is having the older sib help. I have my 7yo read stories to my 2.5yo when my K'r needs my attention. The 2nd grader gets practice reading aloud, the K'r gets my focus, and the toddler loves books. The 7yo gets a kick out of being the older useful sis, and her brother appreciates another reader in the house. Now my K'r has started reading to him and he is absolutely thrilled (and she is proud to be a big sister, too). He can always find a lap to crawl into for storytime now!

I keep looking at the title of this thread and thinking, "No, not so well." :)

:lol:

Many of the Pam Schiller books have tons of printables in the back (usually half or more of the books is printables) .I have two books, The Complete Book of Activities, Games, Stories, Props, Recipes, and Dances For Preschoolers and Creating Readers, along with access to many others from our library and will be using those with my little guy. I also have a collection of books with Montessori activities and will be adding that also. The Montessori approach is based a lot on the child working independently and learning through discovery.

This is definitely the vibe I'm going for. I have never researched Montessori before the several mentions on this thread and it's good to have a philosophy to go with my idea.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is having the older sib help. I have my 7yo read stories to my 2.5yo when my K'r needs my attention. The 2nd grader gets practice reading aloud, the K'r gets my focus, and the toddler loves books. The 7yo gets a kick out of being the older useful sis, and her brother appreciates another reader in the house. Now my K'r has started reading to him and he is absolutely thrilled (and she is proud to be a big sister, too). He can always find a lap to crawl into for storytime now!

This is another good idea only I'll reverse it. My K'er has a much shorter day than my 7yo so I'll have my K'er read to the 3yo while I finish off the schoolday. Hopefully all of the other ideas on this thread can keep him occupied for the short time my K'er does school. I think they will. He's very independent just needs preplanned activities. I don't like it much when he finds his own activities. :glare:

Please share how you do this, get kids to extend their play time with a toy? My dc just cries and yells for something new.

I would have to say through trial and error. What will hold their attention for extended periods of time will not be the same for every child. My son is 28 months. A book that he likes will hold his attention for up to 15 minutes some times. Many of our manipulatives, along with various sizes of animals (farm, wild, dinosaurs etc.) keep his attention for quite a while too. We have invested quite a bit on educational toys and manipulatives and he gets into all of them. When you have options for kids to choose from then they have the opportunity to move from one activity to another without disturbing and you can just sit with the older kids while just watching the little ones :). This is what has worked for us and if Malcolm comes over and wants to get involved, well, most of the time we just let him ;). It's amazing what they learn through osmosis!

Edited by Guest

This is definitely the vibe I'm going for. I have never researched Montessori before the several mentions on this thread and it's good to have a philosophy to go with my idea.

It would be great if you could read some of her original works (some free through google books and archive.org)! The woman was a genius! If you don't have the time though, some great books to look into (check your library first to see if they will work for you) and the ones we own are:

- Teach Me To Do It Myself

- How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way

- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Preschool Years

- Basic Montessori

I have a couple of others but these four are from the better ones. All of them include biographies of Montessori and information on her method so you could still get a basic idea of what Montessori and her method were all about.

Edited by Guest

It would be great if you could read some of her original works (some free through google books and archive.org)! The woman was a genius! If you don't have the time though, some great books to look into (check your library first to see if they will work for you) and the ones we own are:

- Teach Me To Do It Myself

- How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way

- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Preschool Years

- Basic Montessori

I have a couple of others but these four are from the better ones. All of them include biographies of Montessori and information on her method so you could still get a basic idea of what Montessori and her method were all about.

Thanks! I will check the library. Since I have another liitle one coming up, it'll be good to read up on this.

Thanks! I will check the library. Since I have another liitle one coming up, it'll be good to read up on this.

There are some great manipulatives out there (Montessori designed her own, those are the most expensive) but they can get pricey. The books I mentioned previously, help you make your own for the most part, with simple things. I cannot afford the manipulatives (although I could buy some of the less expensive ones that do not follow the strict Montessori guidelines in materials) nor do I have the kind of space to make a Montessori set up the way it is meant to be but it could be done with a simpler approach by just following the philosophy :). Here's a good website you could get some great tips from also. I have not purchased their materials but like reading the articles for some guidance.

http://www.montessoriforeveryone.com/

I don't have time now but there are some older threads that list blogs from people that follow Montessori without the high cost of buying all the materials. Do a search and see what you find. If you don't have much luck let me know. I think I have some saved somewhere :). You do need to take the time to introduce the child to proper use of the materials but after that they work on their own while you observe trying not to interfere.

Edited by Guest

I don't have any advice. (I need it myself!) I have a 3 yr old and a 14 month old. I'm sure by August the baby will have given up her morning nap. That means whatever I will use to occupy the 3 yr old will be sabotaged by his little sister....which will lead to screaming, etc....I may have to let them both wash dishes! Next year will be tough.....

:iagree: Mine are just about the ages of yours. I'm :bigear: here myself.

Keeping a 3 year old occupied on her own without making a mess is a tall order ;) Sometimes you just have to accept the fall out to get an extended period of calm and quiet to work with the others, especially if you are trying to avoid using nap time. The only suggestions I have are play-doh and watercolor paints. They are the only things mine would do on their own at that age that would keep the mess at least confined to one place.

Another suggestion would be to put several toys in a box, things like plastic animals and blocks, cars, puzzles-and pull them out when you are doing school. Keep the toddler in the room with you and the play room closed off. Maybe get one of those pop up tents to be his special place.

However, I still feel like using the toddler's nap time is the best option. I know everyone hates to lose the quiet time, but it is part of that "stage".

We always panic if my 4dd gets quiet. I have learned not to enjoy it but to be afraid, very afraid! She is doubtless doing such things as writing all over her face with a hot pink sharpie or trying to wash her own hair in my bathroom sink! But at least she has stopped trying to scale the bookshelves and swing on the mini blind cords :w00t:

Keeping a 3 year old occupied on her own without making a mess is a tall order ;) Sometimes you just have to accept the fall out to get an extended period of calm and quiet to work with the others, especially if you are trying to avoid using nap time. The only suggestions I have are play-doh and watercolor paints. They are the only things mine would do on their own at that age that would keep the mess at least confined to one place.

Another suggestion would be to put several toys in a box, things like plastic animals and blocks, cars, puzzles-and pull them out when you are doing school. Keep the toddler in the room with you and the play room closed off. Maybe get one of those pop up tents to be his special place.

However, I still feel like using the toddler's nap time is the best option. I know everyone hates to lose the quiet time, but it is part of that "stage".

We always panic if my 4dd gets quiet. I have learned not to enjoy it but to be afraid, very afraid! She is doubtless doing such things as writing all over her face with a hot pink sharpie or trying to wash her own hair in my bathroom sink! But at least she has stopped trying to scale the bookshelves and swing on the mini blind cords :w00t:

The tent is a great idea! We already have one and he does like to hang out in it for prolonged periods of time. I am planning on putting him in his room with his school-time activities. I can see into it from the schoolroom and monitor his progress. The good thing about him being in his room is that there isn't much else in there for him to destroy.

The biggest issue with nap time is that my other dc really need the downtime as well. They play well together but if the big boys don't get some alone time, afternoons can get dicey. They both use the time to read quietly on their beds and the 5yo will occasionally fall asleep. They would never read or play quietly apart during the day if it wasn't officially rest time. Outside of rest time, being separated from their brothers is akin to punishment for them. I think incorporating many of the activities on this thread will get us through the next year.

I can relate to the pink sharpie...Not long ago, my 3 oldest decided to be tigers. They found a black sharpie to make stripes:001_huh:. I should have known something was up when I got a full 30 minutes of peace to fold laundry! Good thing they didn't get much on their faces but they did wear long pants to church that Sunday.

Keeping a 3 year old occupied on her own without making a mess is a tall order ;) Sometimes you just have to accept the fall out to get an extended period of calm and quiet to work with the others, especially if you are trying to avoid using nap time.

:iagree: Malcolm has always slept less than most babies and he is already in the process of getting rid of nap times altogether :banghead:. Every other day he goes for 12-13 hours with no nap and he is only 28 months. I have learned to live with some of the mess. Everything has its own special place so clean up is usually pretty fast, even when he spreads our animal collection all over the place. Often times I have Adrian who looks at it, says "what a mess" and then just cleans it up. Gotta love that boy :001_wub:!

I can relate to the pink sharpie...Not long ago, my 3 oldest decided to be tigers. They found a black sharpie to make stripes:001_huh:. I should have known something was up when I got a full 30 minutes of peace to fold laundry! Good thing they didn't get much on their faces but they did wear long pants to church that Sunday.

I'm sure it didn't seem that way at the time but this is really funny :lol:! The stuff memories are made of ;). I have pictures of Adrian drawing on his face with markers.

:iagree: Malcolm has always slept less than most babies and he is already in the process of getting rid of nap times altogether :banghead:. Every other day he goes for 12-13 hours with no nap and he is only 28 months. I have learned to live with some of the mess. Everything has its own special place so clean up is usually pretty fast, even when he spreads our animal collection all over the place. Often times I have Adrian who looks at it, says "what a mess" and then just cleans it up. Gotta love that boy :001_wub:!

Can I borrow Adrian? My 7yo and I usually end the day with cleaning the playroom but his attitude is poor. He usually exclaims, "Why did he have to get every toy out of its bin?" Maybe he needs a good example.

I'm sure it didn't seem that way at the time but this is really funny :lol:! The stuff memories are made of ;). I have pictures of Adrian drawing on his face with markers.

Dh and I thought it was hilarious but I did need to re-explain the properties of a Sharpie vs. a washable marker.