Menu

noise tolerance

Do you and your husband have a different kid noise tolerance? I find it so odd...I am here all day with the kids and their noise level (especially fun kid noise....not fighting) usually doesn't bother me...but my husband who comes home from a quiet office all day is bothered by the kids being loud...that is until he is the one causing them to make a lot of noise...tickling them for example. Is this the way it is in your home??? I just find it so funny...odd...weird...I guess I would think that after being in a quiet environment all day, a little noise would be ok...especially HIS kids..and me who has hueard it all day long, should be just about done with it by the end of the day.

My husband's work can be stressful so by the time he comes home, he is pretty exhausted in body and and in mind.

And by the time the day is over, I am also longing for some quiet. Our rule is pretty much no noisy play (in the house) once daddy is home. But the rule is more for my sake than his. :001_smile:

Unless, of course, daddy initiates the noisy play.....then it is fine. ;)

My own child's noise doesn't bother me, but I have a really low tolerance for kids playing outside. We live in a neighborhood with a lot of kids, and their screaming outside is like nails on a chalkboard for me. (I still maintain that if someone's kid is screaming loud enough from half a block away for me to hear them through my windows and over my music, they're too loud, but I digress.)

Dh, on the other hand, doesn't even hear them.

My husband's work can be stressful so by the time he comes home, he is pretty exhausted in body and and in mind.

And by the time the day is over, I am also longing for some quiet. Our rule is pretty much no noisy play (in the house) once daddy is home. But the rule is more for my sake than his. :001_smile:

Unless, of course, daddy initiates the noisy play.....then it is fine. ;)

Same here. Dh works so hard all day, so it isn't really about the noise level, as it is about me wanting to have a nice, calm place for him to come home to. My kiddos aren't super loud to begin with, because that would bug me, but I especially make sure any chaos is over before dh is home. I always try to remember, too, that dh is 50% of their psrents, so it's not just my way (though that would be so much easier for me!) :) it's good for kids to learn different environments for things to: when is the time for noise, when it isn't, etc.

Yes/ but it's me that has noise issues.

Today my tolerance point was gone by 7:30

I woke up at my usual 5am to drink coffee and read and write while listening to the birds start to sing - but instead I heard the heavy machinery that is being used to develop the land around us.

This led to kids waking up too early and I had one overtired and irrational preteen and my other 2 were just loud- playing on keyboard and dancing

then dog kept barking at the bulldozer.

Later on dh and I ran errands and the store I went in had super loud annoying kid music/ then I went to barbershop where dh was and loud music again.

Then we went to kids school so I could take photos of the game day the school was giving the kids. More loud music and screaming children.

Dh likes noise and needs background noise at all time. I find noise exhausting.

I grew up in a large, noisy family so I've always had a relatively high noise tolerance. I'm one of those who prefers background, white noise to silence. Silence makes me uneasy. I married someone from a small family who grew up in a "children are seen, not heard" culture. Suffice to say, we have different tolerance levels! Things that are already grating on his nerves will sometimes barely register with me - whether it's our kids or a stranger's kids in a public place.

The flip side of this is that my kids can be incredibly -and sometimes inappropriately- loud in public places. Not screaming, just our idea of "inside voice" seems to be a few levels higher than your average bear's!

Timely post. My dh is listening to Rush on his ipad and it's Driving Me Nuts.

It's not even loud, but by the end of the day, I need, crave, desire, covet SILENCE. I sleep with earplugs each night. The moment I pop those things in my ears, I begin to RELAX.

I've always preferred silence over noise. I've just learned to Deal with the noise of having kids in the house, but once 8:00 pm rolls around, my endurance ENDS. And then poor DH has to listen to me moan about his music. Poor man.

My favorite times are when I'm alone in the house in the day time (rarely happens. Maybe twice a year.) I keep everything SILENT and just pad around the house in the peace and quiet.

Guest RecumbentHeart

DH grew up in a loud family with siblings, I grew up by myself. It amazes me how much he doesn't hear while I'm on the other extreme of occasionally needing to leave the house or get alone with some white noise to drown out the sound while I try to release the tension buildup enough to be around people again without biting.

Definitely! The kids & I are all loud by nature. Really, I can't help it because I'm almost deaf in one ear. I have to speak loudly to hear myself over the kids, tv, computer, dog, dishwasher, etc. The kids have unfortunately picked up on the loud speaking since I have difficulties hearing them clearly with background noise.

It drives DH insane. We do actively work on teaching DS to speak with an inside voice, but it doesn't seem to be catching on:glare:.

My own child's noise doesn't bother me, but I have a really low tolerance for kids playing outside. We live in a neighborhood with a lot of kids, and their screaming outside is like nails on a chalkboard for me. (I still maintain that if someone's kid is screaming loud enough from half a block away for me to hear them through my windows and over my music, they're too loud, but I digress.)

Dh, on the other hand, doesn't even hear them.

I agree that other kids can be too much to handle. We were in a restaurant a few days ago and I wanted to to shake a lady and tell her to shut her kids up. (and "shut up" is considered the "sh" bad word around here) I can be here all day with my kids and (most days) their noise does not bother me. Certain people can come over and I am exhausted and have a headache when they leave because of their noise.

I can understand someone who is in a quiet environment all day getting irritated by a high noise level- and the accompanying chaos that kids naturally exude. I am noise sensitive myself and find the distant low hum of traffic disturbing (although the singing birds outside my window are fine). What is background noise in suburbia in the city, I hear acutely.

But...my kids have never been especially noisy or chatterboxes, either, and they did have to learn to be appropriately quiet with dh's job at home, so it hasn't been too much of an issue.

I grew up w/3 brothers, and a mom that did daycare.

Wolf grew up as an only, raised by a single mom school teacher.

I can tune almost anything out...although the slightest whimper from a baby has me roused from a dead sleep. He's gotten loads better since working with heavy equipment at work :lol:

Quiet makes me nervous. I can't handle a dead quiet house.

I grew up in a large, noisy family so I've always had a relatively high noise tolerance. I'm one of those who prefers background, white noise to silence. Silence makes me uneasy. I married someone from a small family who grew up in a "children are seen, not heard" culture. Suffice to say, we have different tolerance levels! Things that are already grating on his nerves will sometimes barely register with me - whether it's our kids or a stranger's kids in a public place.

Same here, except my family was small-but-very-noisy. ;)

I think I'm just really good at blocking out noise. Some days it takes about six or seven tries for DS to get my attention, because I hear "Mom!" from him so much all day that I'd go nuts if every single one registered.

I'm fine with people noise: the kids, the neighbors, the people who live upstairs. I just don't notice it. What drives me nuts is electronic noise: the TV, toys, news radio. I can't stand having it in the background unless I'm actively watching/listening.

DH is the total opposite, and people noise drives him nuts, but he's fine with tons of electronic noise. Sometimes he'll leave the radio on in the kitchen, then turn the TV on, then go play a video game, and I do not understand how all the different noise doesn't make him want to hide. He doesn't understand how I'm not driven nuts by the people upstairs stomping through their apartment.

Timely post. My husband and son are playing and the noise is grating on my earbuds. :banghead:

My husband has two brothers within three years of him, so noises don't bug him at all.

I, however, was left an only child after my little brother died and too much noise bothers me. We sleep with a quiet fan on all year long because I can't have total silence, but excessive noise and especially the noise from other peoples children bother me a lot. I also have very little patience, so that may have a lot to do with it

There are a few things that drive me nuts....

The neighbors music.

Kids screaming or shrieking (laughing/playing is fine)

Loud thumping noises from upstairs.

I can handle kids playing and laughing loudly if the play is appropriate....until about 9pm. Then I want the house to be fairly quiet.

Dh can handle way more noise than me. The neighbors music or 10 kids in the house running around, are no problem until he goes to bed.

I grew up as an only child and I crave QUIET, but amazingly my kids' noise doesn't bother me at all (except whining, but that's another topic).

My dh and I went out to dinner last night and I almost went into sensory overload with the NOISE! First, we waited outside for seating and had two trains pass within 50 yards. Then we were seated right next to the extremely squeaky front door, and then the background noise from all the talking, plus people's cell phones ringing, plus dishes dropping...(I could go on and on.) I really was a wreck by the end of the evening. I find it extremely difficult to relax in situations like that. I wish I could handle it better!

Edited by enlarsh

I have a very low tolerance for noise, and it seems to be getting lower which is a BAD thing!

My kids usually have a completely mad period from about 5-7pm when they are incapable of quiet. This closely co-incides with the time I am noised out for the day. I really like a PPs suggestion of noise cancelling headphones, that is incredibly sensible!!

Actually, my biggest fear is that we pick up our puppy tomorrow and everything I have read suggests that she will need a fairly calm environment for a while. I think they will have to go make noise outside.