Menu

Willing to join a nudist colony if it would stop the laundry insanity

I always like to pass on this tip when I see overwhelming laundry posts...

One year we went on vacation with five kiddos and I packed us each 3-4 outfits and one extra pair of shoes. Laundry was a breeze. I could not believe how much of a difference it made to have "just" 3-4 outfits (there were 7 of us total!). When I came home, I packed up a lot of extra clothes and LOVED the results....

Hey, you both have kids old enough to do their own laundry. I don't know when the last time was that I folded clothes.

Yep. My kids have washed their own for years. Teach them, then lower your standards slightly regarding wrinkles. In other words, we mist and redry before visiting certain family members or church.

:lol::lol::lol:

But what about dishes??

I'm now doing 10 loads of laundry and 12 loads of dishes a week. Its getting out of hand. My kids need to learn to REUSE.

But, really no one would want this body in their colony. I'll just keep storing clean clothes in baskets in the hallway. ;) My life wouldn't be complete without the wails coming from dc's bedroom every morning. "But I can't get dressed! I don't have anything to WEAR!!!"

Maybe someday they'll figure out that it would be more efficient for them to fold their own clothes...

Hey, you both have kids old enough to do their own laundry. I don't know when the last time was that I folded clothes.

:iagree:My girls are 4, 4, and 6. They fold and put away their own clothes (with some exceptions) and help with the household laundry. I dump the basket onto the sofa, sort it into piles and say,

• Hannah, fold the washcloths and put them in the bathroom
  • Sarah, fold the dish towels and put them in the drawer
  • Mary, fold the girls' underwear and put them away

When that is done I direct them further,

• Sarah, turn all the clothes right-side out, fold the pajamas, put them away
  • Mary, match up Daddy's socks
  • Hannah, match up all the girls' socks and leave the matches on the sofa

I have to finish up a few things, turn the socks, etc. But I can make supper while they fold the laundry. Sometimes they've done three loads at a time. :001_huh: They are truly helpful, but I think they should be.

And with their laundry, I tell them, "I'm helping you with your laundry, and you are helping me with mine." ;) No nudists here, LOL.

You must have missed my laundry thread from a few days ago! :D The crazy thing is since I read all the ideas...and implemented a few...every item of clothing is washed, dried, folded, and put away. :eek: (even the bedding)

It really feels good!

And the laundry continues today...

The boys actually fold everything except sheets and put away everything except our clothes. It's just the never-ending nature of the beast! Thanks for the fun comments and useful ideas.

Simka - off to read your thread as well.

And the laundry continues today...

The boys actually fold everything except sheets and put away everything except our clothes. It's just the never-ending nature of the beast! Thanks for the fun comments and useful ideas.

:lol: I think my mother even used the phrase "never-ending nature of the beast" although she had to IRON everything as well (oh how I remember when "wash and wear" hit the family in the late 60s). I think she hated cleaning up the kitchen every night even more.

You've brought back a memory of her: when my "cute" brother got a pair of black nylon bikini undies in the early 70s, she insisted on handling them with a pair of tongs. I'd hear this "Oh God" from the laundry room and she'd rattle around in a drawer and pick them out of the basket with a tongs.

:lol: I think my mother even used the phrase "never-ending nature of the beast" although she had to IRON everything as well (oh how I remember when "wash and wear" hit the family in the late 60s). I think she hated cleaning up the kitchen every night even more.

You've brought back a memory of her: when my "cute" brother got a pair of black nylon bikini undies in the early 70s, she insisted on handling them with a pair of tongs. I'd hear this "Oh God" from the laundry room and she'd rattle around in a drawer and pick them out of the basket with a tongs.

:lol::lol: We have some tong worthy items around here as well. Not slinky undergarments, but balled-up, double-yuck, dirt-encrusted socks. Won't find me touching them, no indeedy.

I was constantly struggling with laundry. Tried a bunch of different systems.

Now we have one day a week for laundry. Monday is family laundry day. We do not go anywhere. I do all the laundry and fold it as it comes out of the dryer. I deposit the baskets in the corner of the dining room. After supper we all sit in the living room and listen to an audio book or watch a show. Each child has their own basket and I sort all the laundry out and hand the folded clothes to the kids. Then the kids go and immediately put the clothes away.

No more laundry for a week (except for diapers). Yeah!