Menu

homeschooling high school = worm hole (warning ST content)

ST stands for Star Trek. :D We're almost at the beginning of our high school journey. Next fall will be ds 8th or 9th grade year, we won't decide until later.

So I feel like I'm standing on Deep Space Nine looking at a worm hole. Believe me all I know about worm holes I learned from Star Trek.:tongue_smilie: Anyway the journey is there, we know we're going to take it, but we're not sure where we'll end up.

Some people may jump right into the worm hole, others may need to live at Deep Space Nine for a while before they are ready for the journey. I've unpacked my bags.

I have a lot of worm hole questions in my head. I want to thank you wonderful people who take the time to answer/reanswer all these questions. It feels safe on the K-8 board (Earth) and we've ventured out through the logic board (probably on Vulcan hahaha). Now we're staring at the worm hole.

I know I've asked and will be asking more worm hole questions, things that might be fairly obvious to those of you who have traveled the worm hole before. There are posts I'll probably read in a few years and be embarrassed at how silly they sound.

So thank you to you many previous passengers for letting us stand here in our trembling boots. We really need to know if the whole thing is going to collapse on us as we travel. I'm sure we will find tangents in the worm hole itself. I'm sure we'll have more questions on the journey itself. I'm sure I'll have days when I want to scream, "D#mn it, Jim, I'm giving her all she's got."

My point? I'm taking Benadryl, I feel like Alice in space, not sure there is a point except to say thank you. Maybe we could round up a nice game of croquet or head over to Quark's to learn about the Ferengi rules of Acquisition. I hope it's as lovely on the other side of the worm hole (and in it for that matter) as most of you say. I'm going to owe a lot of you a round of drinks, a pass for a holodeck, or something. :cheers2:

I thought I was listening to my dd for a minute there. :D She's my ST whiz around here. So I asked her for some advice for your new journey. Do with it what you will, but do remember the Prime Directive! Here you go....

"There's an old saying, Fortune favors the bold. Well, I guess we're about to find out." -- Sisko (Sacrifice of Angels)

Or, in honor of one of my dd's favorite characters....

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak

See around the universe! :toetap05:

Edited by LatinTea

:rofl: Haven't thought about Deep Space Nine in a long time, but I'm venturing out to the wormhole too. :D
We'll be in a special section of the shuttle. Just don't sit by anyone wearing a red shirt. :D

I thought I was listening to my dd for a minute there. :D She's my ST whiz around here. So I asked her for some advice for your new journey. Do with it what you will, but do remember the Prime Directive! Here you go....

"There's an old saying, Fortune favors the bold. Well, I guess we're about to find out." -- Sisko (Sacrifice of Angels)

Or, in honor of one of my dd's favorite characters....

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak

See around the universe! :toetap05:

:lol::lol:

And I will leave her with this Bajoran proverb. "It is the unknown that defines our existence." from this site.

Isn't it amazing that having homeschooled for 9 years, and having attained expert status on many counts, there is now another gaping wide expanse of unknown before you?

In many ways, your day to day and academics will be just the next step from what you are doing. Just like you added in layers as your ds moved through elementary and into junior high, you'll now add a few more layers. So you'll continue on in math and science, but perhaps add in some testing or begin preparing for later testing.

And for many areas, there is almost a lock-step sequence that removes some decision-making. Math has a typical sequence as does foreign language (though you get to pick from the smorgasbord of texts or online classes or IRL helps). :tongue_smilie:

While this board is a HUGE resource, I also found a local homeschool mom, whose dc were ahead of mine and who had been successful with high school (according to our family's definition). I took her to lunch, asked all of my questions and got information on all the local resources as well as state colleges.

Enjoy!

Lisa

I have entered the "wormhole" again with ds. In response to some of his questions concerning the rigors of the courses I have laid out for him, my retort was, "I could not deprive you of all that we could accomplish together." :D

I am not a trekkie fan, but ds is so I was very proud of myself for using a line from the newest movie!

Faith

so are we the aliens in the wormhole or The Prophets?

remember.... you are the Sisko. There are many tasks ahead of you.;)

except you will not die at the end of high school years.

so sit back and enjoy a glass of Slug O Cola and sing the jingle.

"Drink Slug-o-Cola! The slimiest cola in the galaxy!"

dont' worry.... as you enter this journey, you'll soon enjoy being the Emissary

and get to perform those rites and passage and all of that.

It's going to be fine. I've already been there, and might return yesterday.

-crystal

We'll be in a special section of the shuttle. Just don't sit by anyone wearing a red shirt. :D

High School..The final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Home School. It's continuing mission, to develop Well Educated Minds. To evaluate the ideas and philosophies of the great books, to discuss and digest the experiences of our for-bearers. To boldly educate like those who have gone before.

With credit to Jean-Luc Picard and Susan Wise Bauer.

High School..The final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Home School. It's continuing mission, to develop Well Educated Minds. To evaluate the ideas and philosophies of the great books, to discuss and digest the experiences of our for-bearers. To boldly educate like those who have gone before.

Are we or are we not being assimilated?

I like the thought of "Boldly going where no one has gone before..." okay, all of you have, but sometimes it feels like no one else has gone before.

LOL

I hate to tell you, but high school, for my family, was much more like the plot of The Hitchhike's Guide to the Galaxy than nice orderly Star Trek.

You have to decide if and when you want your student to be assimilated (merge with mainstream education). If so, it is a major hassle to decide how to do this without giving up or negating everything for which you have worked so hard.

The holodeck is dangerous. In multiple ways. Remember Broccolli?

It is important to remember Wesley's story, especially the ending.

It is also important to remember that your student may chose to go to Star Fleet Academy rather than some nice little lac with a great books program.

It is very nice to have another trekkie on the high school board. : )

-Nan

If there was a Starfleet Academy, I'd be signing up ds. I guess the best we can hope for is that our children Live Long and Prosper. Off to start our journey today.

Maybe we could do a Star Trek centered curriculum?

Science:

Chemistry: Life among the solids by Odo

Bar management & business taught by Quark

LOL! Or, more like the wormhole and wild ride of John Creighton in the Aussie sci-fi TV series, Farscape -- in time, you not only make the transition, get used to the aliens (some in your own head!), but you come to call it home... ;)

I was thinking that while your entry into the Wormhole of High School Home School may feel dangerous and uncharted, it often turns out to be more like that DS9 season 1 episode of "Move Along Home". :) Sometimes you get the unpleasant surprise of the Alternate Parallel Dimension (yow! that Evil Alternate Kira!), but mostly you find unexpected new and exciting opportunities and interests -- like the Klingon who is head chef and restaurant owner and sings opera to his patrons.

Welcome to the New Dimension of Space and Time! Warmest regards, Lori

Edited by Lori D.

The holodeck is dangerous. In multiple ways. Remember Broccolli?

It is important to remember Wesley's story, especially the ending.

ok, I don't remember. Can someone please remind me?

I have no clue about the holodeck and broccolli. I thought Wesley made it to Star Fleet Academy and then did some stupid flight thing where someone died. But I can't remember the final pronouncement of that.

(I don't want to go grade papers.)

:hurray: Good one!

I think we better warn our children that if they go through the wormhole without advertising their name by putting their name on their paper, they are at risk of being the one who gets killed when anything bad happens.

-Nan

This week was the first week my ds complied with my requests to put his name and the date on his papers. He thinks it's quite funny to put "your name" and "The date" in the heading. :glare: Those are the days you want to arrange for a special away mission in the Delta quadrant.

He thinks it's quite funny to put "your name" and "The date" in the heading. :glare:

:smilielol5:

ONLY laughing so hard because this is exactly my younger DS -- the transporter-accident-induced-double of your son. (Or is YOUR DS the double...? ;))

I, too, am peering into the wormhole. Ds will be an 8th grader next year and I spent this year researching the high school years and college. I think I need to go get a beverage at Quark's. Quark's is fun. Don't walk, run, to Quark's.

If there was a Starfleet Academy, I'd be signing up ds. I guess the best we can hope for is that our children Live Long and Prosper. Off to start our journey today.

Maybe we could do a Star Trek centered curriculum?

Science:

Chemistry: Life among the solids by Odo

Bar management & business taught by Quark

Introduction to Warp Field Physics by Jordi LaForge

Bar Management by Guynan

Economics by Quark

Psychology by Deanna Troi

Inter-Species Communications by Deanna Troi

Multiple Dimension Mathematics - Commander Data

Logic - Ambassador Spock

Game Theory - Will Riker

Anatomy & Physiology of Common Interstellar Species - Dr. Beverly Crusher

Physical Education with a Focus on Klingon Calisthenics - Lieutenant Worf

Introduction to Klingon Love Poetry - Lieutenant Worf

Introduction to the Plays of Shakespeare as Performed in the Original Klingon - Lieutenant Worf

Introduction to Interstellar Archeology of Long Extinct Races - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Introduction to Culinary Arts with a focus on Local Foods - Neelix

Introduction to Astrophysics - 7 of 9

Communication Skills in Emergency Management - The Emergency Medical Hologram

I think I need to stop now. I could go on and on.

Oh my gosh! This is fantastic! We just arrived at DS9 and have found that it is a very, very scary place.

When ds was younger we did a summer of the Hogwart's Summer Correspondance course and he loved it. Right now his motivation is zilch, but he is a Trekkie fan. You all have inspired me to create school work based on the Star Trek labeled courses.

Techwife, yes, please go on...gives me more subjects to chose from. I can schedule the entire high school year based on Trek names. He'd love it!

Oh my gosh! This is fantastic! We just arrived at DS9 and have found that it is a very, very scary place.

When ds was younger we did a summer of the Hogwart's Summer Correspondance course and he loved it. Right now his motivation is zilch, but he is a Trekkie fan. You all have inspired me to create school work based on the Star Trek labeled courses.

Techwife, yes, please go on...gives me more subjects to chose from. I can schedule the entire high school year based on Trek names. He'd love it!

Here's a thread about developing an elective around Star Trek.

Here's another thread about a funny Star Trek Sketch.

Here's a thread about developing an elective around Star Trek.

Here's another thread about a funny Star Trek Sketch.

lol! I remember this thread and wanted to do it too! But then other things happened and I completely forgot. Thanks so much for finding and linking it.

Did you ever go farther in the studies? (perhaps something along the lines of developing a lesson plan that I'd pay good money to obtain :))

I'm about to go write up an application for the Star Fleet Academy Correspondence Course - The official SFACC....perhaps I can find a downloadable college application to edit.

If I were doing a Star Fleet Academy program, I would add a communications course and have your son get a ham radio license. We did this. We used the book "Now You're Talking" and then went down to our local ham club, took the test, and bought handietalkies (like walkietalkies but on a different frequency). It was a very satisfactory project. It covered bits of government, writing, history, science, math, engineering, and study and test-taking skills. It was all laid out for us in a book so it was fairly easy to do. And we now have a cool license.

I haven't investigated it, but when I was looking for morse code games (just for fun), I ran across this:

http://www.startrekclubs.com/default.htm

-Nan

lol! I remember this thread and wanted to do it too! But then other things happened and I completely forgot. Thanks so much for finding and linking it.

Did you ever go farther in the studies? (perhaps something along the lines of developing a lesson plan that I'd pay good money to obtain :))

I'm about to go write up an application for the Star Fleet Academy Correspondence Course - The official SFACC....perhaps I can find a downloadable college application to edit.

I haven't done anything with it lately. We probably won't get there for another few years. We are doing formal logic and an introduction to philosophy next year. I would consider those prerequisites for the kind of study I'd like to do.

If I were doing a Star Fleet Academy program, I would add a communications course and have your son get a ham radio license. We did this. We used the book "Now You're Talking" and then went down to our local ham club, took the test, and bought handietalkies (like walkietalkies but on a different frequency). It was a very satisfactory project. It covered bits of government, writing, history, science, math, engineering, and study and test-taking skills. It was all laid out for us in a book so it was fairly easy to do. And we now have a cool license.

I haven't investigated it, but when I was looking for morse code games (just for fun), I ran across this:

http://www.startrekclubs.com/default.htm

-Nan

My dad is a ham. He's supposed to work with ds this summer on some electronics. He might talk ds into getting his license.

I have one word of advice about electronics: KITS. Maybe you can get your child going with electronics without kits, but I couldn't. He wanted to learn. He had access to knowledgable people. He had things he wanted to build. He got his ham license. But somehow, much as he wanted to, he couldn't move past the little-motor-led-battery stage. Finally, it occurred to me to ask how the older techies had gotten into electronics. The answer was Heath kits (or other sorts of kits). They built them. And somehow, magically, this transformed into understanding electronics. So we bought some little kits and a soldering iron. After about 5 kits, my son took apart an old tablet computer and is reassembling it with some new componants in a new plexiglass housing. I am making weekly runs to Radio Shack's drawer corner. He has run the risk of burning down the house multiple times forgetting to unplug the soldering iron, too. Anyway, I have no idea why kits work, but it appears they do. You need to get the ones that require soldering in things like resistors and capacitors, though. The clip together ones didn't contain the same magic for us. The Make magazine site sells nice ones. Make magazine is dangerous. It contains projects like making your own hang glider out of one of those blue poly tarps.

-Nan

I have one word of advice about electronics: KITS. Maybe you can get your child going with electronics without kits, but I couldn't. He wanted to learn. He had access to knowledgable people. He had things he wanted to build. He got his ham license. But somehow, much as he wanted to, he couldn't move past the little-motor-led-battery stage. Finally, it occurred to me to ask how the older techies had gotten into electronics. The answer was Heath kits (or other sorts of kits). They built them. And somehow, magically, this transformed into understanding electronics. So we bought some little kits and a soldering iron. After about 5 kits, my son took apart an old tablet computer and is reassembling it with some new componants in a new plexiglass housing. I am making weekly runs to Radio Shack's drawer corner. He has run the risk of burning down the house multiple times forgetting to unplug the soldering iron, too. Anyway, I have no idea why kits work, but it appears they do. You need to get the ones that require soldering in things like resistors and capacitors, though. The clip together ones didn't contain the same magic for us. The Make magazine site sells nice ones. Make magazine is dangerous. It contains projects like making your own hang glider out of one of those blue poly tarps.

-Nan

My dad has the equivalent of a Radio Shack store in his basement. :lol: Ds could probably build a robot to take over the world with the supplies he has. I know they'll do some soldering. I'll have to look into the Heath kits, I haven't looked into those for a long time. That might give them a packaged deal to work through.

I'm really not concerned how much they cover, I just want ds to spend some time with Grandpa. I never had a grandparent that gave a rip about my existence, and I'm relishing their time together.

I understand. My sons have all gone to Grampa's one afternoon a week while they were homeschooling. My husband and I are always saying that that alone has been worth all the disadvantages of homeschooling. It is my magic antidote to the inevitable periodic what on earth do I think I am doing panic.

-Nan

OH MY can I steal that????????????????? WOnderful!

This thread just warms my heart!

Capt Uhura

You pick a semi-exotic language (Japanese is exotic from our point of view GRIN) and learn some using Live Mocha. I have a feeling that computer drills and learning were probably a big part of Star Fleet Academy. You could add some computer math drills, too.

We're restarting the Japanese next year and the basic computer skills are already in place. We also started Khan academy (computer math?). He may end up with an honorary degree from Starfleet Academy. Oh, I so have to do that when he graduates. :D :D :D

The original Godzilla in Japanese, Gojira, is on the Netflix instant play. We're so burnt out I think we'll watch that today for school.

Ok, but can we just fix that split infinitive, since we've already messed with the syllabic emphasis of the original?

Hmm. My brain has forgotten what a split infinitive is. Fall semester was a long time ago. Perhaps this better:

High School..The final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Home School. It's continuing mission: to develop Well Educated Minds, to evaluate the ideas and philosophies of the great books, to discuss and digest the experiences of our for-bearers, to boldly educate like those who have gone before.

Again, w/credit to Jean-Luc Picard and Susan Wise Bauer

This thread has me singing Weird Al's White and Nerdy...

"I can ace any trivia game you bring on

I'm fluent in Java Script as well as Klingon

....the only question that I thought was hard

am I like Kirk or more like Picard?"

Adding a course or two to the rhetoric level:

20th Century History: instructor, Tom Paris

Common Law Marriage of Business and Gov't - instructor, Brunt of the FCA

Detailed study in the Roswell case -- instructors, Nog and Rom.

Understanding autism language disorders through literary references: Darmok and Jalad - location ,off campus at Tanagra, or Eldrel for field trip

and in ancient literature, welcome guest lecture Jean Luc in the retelling of Gilgamesh.

But, did they ever really take "foreign languages" or just how to use universal translator?

Neep gren. moogie. -- don't we all want to hear that at the end of the 4 year journey in the wormhole

-crystal

IMy dad is a ham. He's supposed to work with ds this summer on some electronics. He might talk ds into getting his license.

My dad is a ham, I'm a ham too! My kids will be hams!

The answer was Heath kits (or other sorts of kits).

Heath Kits! Loved them! But afaik those are no longer available. Has some company started selling those kits again?

I have a morse radio kit somewhere in the basement. Almost fully done too.

And yes, we're facing the wormhole too. DS did grade 8 last year. I could have pushed and done grade 9, but decided there was no point in accelerating him by 2 years. One is plenty! Now he's definitely ready. It's time to jump, and it's sure scary!

Maybe "to educate boldly". You are supposed to try not to stick anything between the "to" and its verb. It is a bit trickier than that, of course, but this is one of the times when you want to avoid it.

How about: "High School..The final frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Home School. Its continuing mission: to develop Well Educated Minds, to evaluate the ideas and philosophies of great civilizations, to discuss and absorb the experiences of our fore-bearers, to educate boldly in the way of those who have gone before." ?

For some reason, my brain turns "discuss and digest" into "disgust and digest".

-Nan

Hmm. I was trying to follow the original pattern, which does have the split infinitive:

Space... The final frontier... These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: To explore strange new worlds... To seek out new life; new civilisations... To boldly go where no one has gone before!"

Do you think you could bear it if I leave it in? I feel I must to remain true to the spirit of the original. Also, absorb is passive where digest is active.

I don't take to editing too well, do I? :blushing:

Edited by TechWife

-Nan

Snort! My husband and son are charter subscribers to Make!

My son taught soldering to many 4-Hers. Here in the NC, there is (or use to be) an annual electronic project. The kits were very inexpensive (like $5).

I think the split infinitive is better in the orginal than a non-split infinitive would be because the syllable emphasis is on bold that way, whereas otherwise it winds up with too much emphasis on the to. The hymns we have to sing in church are horrible that way. It seems like we sing all the important words on passing notes and then hold words like in for several measures. Ug. Split away GRIN. I didn't like the absorb either but couldn't think of a better word. I am not the least bit attached to my attempt and would be happy to stick with yours. I think you were very clever to come up with it in the first place. : )

-Nan