Menu

I bought a mango. What do I do with it?

Always buy a yellow mango..should not be very firm to touch..you can smell and it will have a sweet aroma, which will indicate its ripe enough..

I hope the one as you describe, green and red is not ripe enough..ANd we never ate peels..I hope you can but they are very think to chew..We just slice it big enough (along with peels, around three big slices of one entire mango) and eat its pulp with a spoon.

If it was ripe, I would either eat it as a fruit or make a mango shake..YUM!

Edited by Learner

When it's ripe, it should be a little soft and smell sweet. You then peel it. Our favorite way to eat it is as part of a dessert: mango coconut rice. You cook the rice in coconut milk and sugar, and serve it with chopped mango. Mmmmm!

Wait until the mango is soft! Also, don't eat the peels. In fact, don't even let your lips get near them. A lot of people (including me) are sensitive/allergic to the mango peel. Apparently it's somehow related to poison ivy/oak/sumac....? Anyway, I'm fine with mango unless my lips touch the skin (trying to scrape away at the yumminess of mango). Google "Mango mouth" for more info. It causes a nasty rash.

I have eaten mangoes my whole life (my grandparents had mango trees in their yard) and had no idea the skin was edible. Although according to this link if you are allergic to poison ivy you could have a severe allergic reaction to ingesting the skin.

We always peeled & sliced them and then ate them with sour cream. My dad prefers them with vanilla icecream and my grandma always offers them over pancakes.

Oh, and they ripen really well on a windowsill if they are too firm. Once ripened they can last awhile in the fridge and they seem to freeze pretty well without additional prep work (other then the peeling and slicing that is).

And the color thing really varies from one variety to another, with the corresponding flesh varying as well. Yellow ones around here are usually pretty gross.

I like mangos that are red and yellow, not too green. I also don't like them very soft. If you try to peep it when it's as hard as an apple, it's harder than if you wait for it to ripen a little more.

After I peel it (it's messy!), I slice it into pieces. I've used it for many things, but the two ways I use it the most are in a fruit smoothie (I like it best with a banana, strawberries and a can of milk chocolate Slimfast all blended up in the blender!), and on rice! YUM!!! Love mangos!

I do hate to admit it, but I peel and then lean over the sink and eat it like an apple! I don't share and I wait until the kids are upstairs! :D YUMMY!!
:001_smile: I've eaten them like that too! :lol:

And the color thing really varies from one variety to another, with the corresponding flesh varying as well. Yellow ones around here are usually pretty gross.
:iagree: Yellow here would be too done and would not taste good!!! :tongue_smilie:

Here is what we do with them. We use them in smoothies, or if I have extra, I freeze them in chunks for future smoothies.

We make a cup or two of quinoa and let it cool. Then we add in diced up mango, peppers, black beans, a little golden basalmic vinegar and olive oil. We eat it as a side type salad.

We also make a mango salsa using diced up mango, black beans, diced onion, diced tomato, lime juice, olive oil, basalmic vinegar, and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.

Yum...

Wait until it is soft. I eat them almost daily. I cut about half of it (the seeds are huge) and chop it up. I then add it to plain, nonfat yogurt.

YUM! I love mangoes.

PS -- I peel the half I'm going to eat before I start cutting. It's rather messy but worth it.

I

Kroger recently had the yellow smaller ones, and they didn't even taste like mangoes. YUCK

Mangos are one of my favorite fruits (I'm trying to figure out where to plant a tree this fall), but we always check for allergies before sharing with anyone. Mangos are part of the sumac family. This is where the poison oak/ivy sensitivity comes in. Cashews are also sumacs, so if you have cashew allergies, no mangos for you!

Mangos are one of my favorite fruits (I'm trying to figure out where to plant a tree this fall), but we always check for allergies before sharing with anyone. Mangos are part of the sumac family. This is where the poison oak/ivy sensitivity comes in. Cashews are also sumacs, so if you have cashew allergies, no mangos for you!

I love mangoes but have to wear gloves to peel them, then rinse the flesh after peeling. Otherwise I get an awful rash all over my hands! And I get a small-scale version of that same rash around my lips and eyes if I eat cashews.

Re: allergic reactions to the peel. The allergens can transfer to the meat when peeling, so it is a good idea to rinse again after peeling.

:001_huh: I'm so glad I read this thread since my youngest two have pretty severe poision ivy reactions. I had no idea about the mango skin. :svengo: So glad we didn't find out the hard way (we have mangoes frequently, but I'm always the one peeling it since it's such a PITA - but middle child has been taking over fruit-peeling duties lately since fruit salads are her specialty... so glad she left the mangoes in the fridge this afternoon! eek!)

I grew up in HI where we gorged on mangoes during mango season and never knew about the allergy issues. Mom always told us not to eat the skin because it causes diarrhea.

So how do you all ripen them? Just sit them on the counter? I rarely eat mangoes now because they're never as good as the ones we got at home fresh from the tree. I find that usually they go bad before they get sweet. Do I just need to submit to the fact that they won't be as good because they're not tree ripened? I talked to Mom about this once and she said store-bought mangoes will not be as good because they're picked too early and they don't ripen once picked. If anyone has advice for me so I can enjoy mangoes again I'd love to hear it!

I've never had tree-ripened ones, so I cannot compare, but mine are delicious and VERY sweet.

I grew up in HI where we gorged on mangoes during mango season and never knew about the allergy issues. Mom always told us not to eat the skin because it causes diarrhea.

So how do you all ripen them? Just sit them on the counter? I rarely eat mangoes now because they're never as good as the ones we got at home fresh from the tree. I find that usually they go bad before they get sweet. Do I just need to submit to the fact that they won't be as good because they're not tree ripened? I talked to Mom about this once and she said store-bought mangoes will not be as good because they're picked too early and they don't ripen once picked. If anyone has advice for me so I can enjoy mangoes again I'd love to hear it!

Yes, just leave them on the counter.

We get the best mangos from China town/International District here. I don't know if you have something like that. . .

:001_huh: I'm so glad I read this thread since my youngest two have pretty severe poision ivy reactions. I had no idea about the mango skin. :svengo: So glad we didn't find out the hard way (we have mangoes frequently, but I'm always the one peeling it since it's such a PITA - but middle child has been taking over fruit-peeling duties lately since fruit salads are her specialty... so glad she left the mangoes in the fridge this afternoon! eek!)
My dh and I have both had MAJOR problems with poison oak/ivy, but neither of us has any reaction at all to mangos or cashews. I am VERY thankful for that, as I LOVE mangos and cashews!

Is there a difference between sumac and poison sumac?

I have dh peel them because I am very allergic to the oil in the skin. I get a rash anywhere I touch after handling it. But once it is peeled and rinsed I'm fine - and we love using mangoes in smoothies. Other stuff too, but mango banana smoothies are our top choice.

My dh and I have both had MAJOR problems with poison oak/ivy, but neither of us has any reaction at all to mangos or cashews. I am VERY thankful for that, as I LOVE mangos and cashews!

Is there a difference between sumac and poison sumac?

Poison sumac, like poison oak and poison ivy, are all part of the larger sumac family, which includes mangos and cashews, and probably a hundred other sumacs. Many of them are edible. It's just a matter of how concentrated the urushiol is in the plant. There's a ton in the "poison" ones, and not very much in the others. But in mangos it can concentrate in the skin, and in cashews, in the oils in the nutshell. Processing usually removes most of the chemical in storebought cashews, but "usually" and "most" won't do if you are highly sensitive.

I can't tell you how much more I appreciate being able to buy cashew after reading about the harvesting process :

http://www.tropicalpermaculture.com/growing-cashews.html