Menu

Can anyone identify this baby snake?

Guest RecumbentHeart

Guest RecumbentHeart

Link to photo.

I was going to include it in post but it's huge and I don't know how to resize it on the forum and can't get into my photobucket account to resize it there. :blushing:

Guest RecumbentHeart

North Carolina.

Oh, and I wonder if it's not a baby. Maybe there is a chance it is just a small snake. :confused:

Edited by RecumbentHeart

Guest RecumbentHeart
I just can't look at it. My advice, KILL IT WITH PREJUDICE!

Faith, President of the Rabid Snake Haters Club

:lol:

DH suggested worm snake. You think so? ("you" as in, people other than Faith and those in her club :tongue_smilie:)

Guest RecumbentHeart
It's not poisonous, for sure. the only poisonous snakes in NC are pit vipers and coral snakes (which this one is not). It is a constrictor of some type. My guess is that it's a rough earth snake.

What about copper heads? Or is that another name for one you mentioned?

Guest RecumbentHeart
Copperheads are a type of pit vipers (along with rattle snakes). They have a distinctly shaped head.

Yeah, I was wondering if they were one of those.

*shuddering*

Guest RecumbentHeart
Your picture makes it hard to tell size. Since you thought it was a baby I guessed rough earth snake. They only grow to 7-10 inches. But if I was off about the scale and this is a larger snake, I'd have to reconsider.

It might have been 10inches. It was thinner than my pinkie. Was hard to judge length with it all curled up.

As long as it's harmless, I guess that's all that matters.

We are in NC and have lots of worm snakes in our garden. So cute! I think that's what you have IF it is seriously pink on the underside.

Your pic is so big though, that I can't get a sense of perspective and I can't see the head or tail well.

The underside should be very pinkish and the head blunt and uniform in size with the body. Look for a pointy tail.

hth,

Georgia

In NC most venomous snakes - exception coral snake - are short and thick. They have triangular heads except for the coral snake.

I'm not sure what it is but it's tiny rounded head and muted color mean it is non venomous.

We used to see water moccasins when we lived in NC. They were usually basking in the sun on rocks near water. I'd guess NC has copperheads, too. They also like to hang out around water.

Yes, those are all pit vipers. They have triangular heads to hold the venom pits - like pdalley said.

If it was thinner than your pinky I definitely stand by the rough earth snake identification. I read elsewhere that they can get from 7-13 inches long.

A cottonmouth is very dark black and has a very pointed head. It would not have let you calmly take a picture like that. They are very aggressive even as babies.

A copperhead has an hourglass pattern and can be different shades of brown. A baby won't have the distinctive hourglass pattern necessarily but the head is very diamond shaped and they are very aggressive, even as tiny babies. I had one smaller than my pinkie his and show fangs at me last weekend when I disturbed the log it was laying under. The hourglass pattern wasn't there yet but it was a dark brown took the stance so to speak.

Guest RecumbentHeart
:) Michelle, my ds, 11, says it's a worm snake or a legless lizard. If the eyelids are movable, it's a legless lizard.

I think your son and my husband are on the money. I've got a couple of other pictures that I've been comparing to what others have said and to what the website I found said and I do see a pink tummy.

Now I'm trying to keep my 5yo from claiming it as a pet. He's already making plans to bring it in the house.

I'm going to have him draw a picture of it and then I'm marking this down as nature study completed for this week.

Guest RecumbentHeart
Definitely not a copperhead. Baby copperheads and cottonmouths have a lime tip on the tail, too. Looks like a worm snake, or even a racer.

I'm taking lots of notes about identifying baby copperheads and such also. We've had a couple of run ins with full grown ones.

Hey, speaking of .. anyone want to see a picture of the last snake DS found in the garden? :lol: (it was entirely not funny at the time .. or for the rest of that day .. I assure you)

I'm taking lots of notes about identifying baby copperheads and such also. We've had a couple of run ins with full grown ones.

Hey, speaking of .. anyone want to see a picture of the last snake DS found in the garden? :lol: (it was entirely not funny at the time .. or for the rest of that day .. I assure you)

Sure. :001_smile:

But I love snakes. :leaving:

The first pic you posted looks like a worm snake or some kind of racer. Nothing to worry about. He's one of the good guys and will take care of mice and other rodents.

I saw the other pic you posted and that was a copperhead.

I'm in NC and as much as I love snakes the copperheads get taken care of, if you know what I mean. I've had copperheads bite the dogs and cause hundreds of dollars of vet bills.

Guest RecumbentHeart
The first pic you posted looks like a worm snake or some kind of racer. Nothing to worry about. He's one of the good guys and will take care of mice and other rodents.

I saw the other pic you posted and that was a copperhead.

I'm in NC and as much as I love snakes the copperheads get taken care of, if you know what I mean. I've had copperheads bite the dogs and cause hundreds of dollars of vet bills.

Yeah, from a previous experience I knew what this one was when I saw it and it took me quite some time to settle myself down after realizing what a close call that was. I'm so thankful for DSs sense to get away and come inside. What bothered me most was that I had been very close to letting my 3yo out there with him who may not have been so observant or quick.

And unfortunately it got away before someone brave and skilled enough came to kill it. I only managed to injur it and make it mad. I stayed inside after that.

I may be in the minority here, but he's cute! I love snakes. He does resemble the worm snake (found in NC) but in the picture the transition from head to body is covered, and it's a top view of the tail so it makes it hard to say for sure that it's a worm snake. The only snakes we kill are copperheads, nasty little things. And even then ONLY if they have become a danger to us or livestock.

Sorry for the misidentification. I was laughing at my ds who sometimes acts like a know it all, at least good naturedly. I didn't have time to look it up and verify though. Glad you made a correct I.D. And sorry about the iminent adoption of the snake. That would not be the most welcome idea to me. ;)

Guest RecumbentHeart

ROFL it's not a black mamba. :lol:

I have another photo with the head transition in it ... it's very wormy. :D

But I am now feeling very much more educated on snakes thanks to all this. :lol:

ROFL it's not a black mamba. :lol:

I have another photo with the head transition in it ... it's very wormy. :D

But I am now feeling very much more educated on snakes thanks to all this. :lol:

I can't see the transition from the head to neck in the original photo, but I'm guessing, then, that there's not a thin band of color right behind the head? I'm in NC and saw my first ring-neck snake in our yard last summer. It was about the size you mention and the same color, except for the band around the neck.

Guest RecumbentHeart
I'd still wear my steel toed boots if I were you. ;)

My son has already been handling it. Against my wishes. :glare: I was suspicious when he kept asking me if it was poisonous and if it would bite.