Menu

Modest tennis skirts?

I don't really understand why girls don't wear tennis shorts. My boy wears tennis shorts that come down far enough that I would think they would seem modest on a girl to most people - though not someone who wants knees covered. They are great for most boys, and probably would fit girls just fine. The balls go in pockets.

But the girls seem to play in the little skirts that have elastic built in bloomers for the balls. I even see girls wear these over tights, because they need something to hold the ball. I would think, though, that if you want more coverage, athletic shorts with deep pockets would work just fine.

Haven't looked at any of the posted links yet, but we don't wear shorts, if the skirt is too short, then leggings won't work. She does wear leggings under longer skirts. Prefer that it at least be at the bottom of her kneecaps, and she will wear bike shorts underneath.

It may be simpler to choose another sport that fits your wardrobe requirements. She could take lessons in sweats, but if she loves tennis this will eventually be a real problem. If you're okay with pants, softball could work for you. The uniforms have shorts but lots of girls wear boys' baseball pants to play. If you require her to always wear skirts, I think I'd look at lifestyle sports more than competitive ones. You can bike or hike recreationally in any thing you choose to wear.

ETA: If you're okay with pants, martial arts will work well too. It can be as competitive as you want to make it and it's a great kids' activity that can carry over into adulthood.

Edited by chiguirre

Where can I find these? DD just turned five and is starting tennis soon, however, those really short skirts are not going to work! If anyone has any resources for purchasing a modest tennis skirt, please let me know and thanks!

Haven't looked at any of the posted links yet, but we don't wear shorts, if the skirt is too short, then leggings won't work. She does wear leggings under longer skirts. Prefer that it at least be at the bottom of her kneecaps, and she will wear bike shorts underneath.

Your second post is better than your first. When asking a question like this it is good to be pretty specific. Nobody knows your family's idea of what it means to be modest and they are taking shots in the dark.

Look at the links and give input. I have other sites in my file, but I would like to hear what will/won't work from the other links and why before I start guessing again. :)

It may be simpler to choose another sport that fits your wardrobe requirements. She could take lessons in sweats, but if she loves tennis this will eventually be a real problem. If you're okay with pants, softball could work for you. The uniforms have shorts but lots of girls wear boys' baseball pants to play. If you require her to always wear skirts, I think I'd look at lifestyle sports more than competitive ones. You can bike or hike recreationally in any thing you choose to wear.

ETA: If you're okay with pants, martial arts will work well too. It can be as competitive as you want to make it and it's a great kids' activity that can carry over into adulthood.

:iagree:

You really can't do everything in a skirt (especially a longer skirt) safely or modestly, so sometimes it's really a choice of which activity is appropriate rather than a clothing choice.

That said, creativity and being your own seamstress can solve a lot of problems.

You really can't do everything in a skirt (especially a longer skirt) safely or modestly, so sometimes it's really a choice of which activity is appropriate rather than a clothing choice.

That said, creativity and being your own seamstress can solve a lot of problems.

Yup. Just out of curiosity, op, what do you do for activities where pants are an absolute requirement, like martial arts? Do you completely forbid those activities, or do you make some exceptions?

I think the problem will be with balls, so I am trying to think my way around that. Typically players serve with two balls. One in the pants, one in the hand.

If she wears a longer skirt with bike shorts underneath, she going to have to reach up under the skirt a fair ways in order to get to the balls when she's serving. That will just look immodest. Lifting one's skirt so far just seems .... intimate.

If she's just playing for fun and going to clinics a bit, she can probably go with one ball at a time. But if she's going to compete, she will have to figure out how to manage balls on her serve, with people watching.

I think if she has to have a skirt below the knees, you could maybe get one modified for her so that she can go through it in order to get to the balls - like there is a pocket opening in the side, but no actual pocket - just access to the bike shorts. Does that make sense? Because I think with a skirt that long, the balls would be too loose in an actual pocket.

Of course, women used to wear long skirts for tennis. I have no idea what the did with the balls.

I'm Pentecostal too but I sew so I made things like this for dd. Can you sew simple things or know someone who can? It would just be a yoke and a really long rectangle (waistband length times three probably) so it would be easier than it sounds. Tennis skirts typically come barely longer than cheerleader length so buying a longer one off the rack may not be feasible. :/

For 99% of our activities we use the foldover jersey skirt from Old Navy. LOVE IT!! Perfect length, stretchy, and comes in 12 trillion colors. If they ever discontinue it, I will take to my bed and never come out again. lol!

Nooooo! (sorry, passionate about this topic :tongue_smilie:) I work really hard to teach/show my daughter that she can do just about *anything* in a skirt and she can. Pretty much, swimming and gymnastics are out but that's about it. Chanel (my dd) has done fencing (saber coat has no crotch strap), softball, rock climbing, and just about everything else in a skirt with bike shorts under it.

My mom buys the little bike shorts at Gymboree, they come in a ton of colors, and puts them underneath all of their skirts and dresses. Not sure if you wanted longer or just bottom covered

We love and use these. We need the skirt longer, though.

Would this one work over leggings?

This may work, but regardless, thanks for the great site!!

You really can't do everything in a skirt (especially a longer skirt) safely or modestly...<snip>

Nearly everything can be done in a modest skirt. We work hard to make sure our dd's can do this.

I think the problem will be with balls...Of course, women used to wear long skirts for tennis. I have no idea what they did with the balls.

Since I am new to tennis, this at first made me :confused:. However, I think if we do have a skirt made (I cannot sew a lick!!), a pocket could be made short to accomodate balls. Right now, we are looking to get through a six-session beginning class and a couple of summer clinics so I will make do.

Yup. Just out of curiosity, op, what do you do for activities where pants are an absolute requirement, like martial arts? Do you completely forbid those activities, or do you make some exceptions?

We do not participate in martial arts at all because of other reasons, not the apparel. That, however, is another story for another day! My ds wears pants 95% of the time. When he played basketball, he made certain his shorts were at the bottom of his knees and wore a shirt under the sleeveless jerseys.

I'm Pentecostal too...For 99% of our activities we use the foldover jersey skirt from Old Navy. LOVE IT!! Perfect length, stretchy, and comes in 12 trillion colors. If they ever discontinue it, I will take to my bed and never come out again. lol!

Where do you find these. Can you post a link? I am so glad I am not alone, but alas, I have no sewing skills. My MIL is a very accomplished seamstress, and I am certain she could make something, but she lives in another state. When I mentioned it to her, she asked, "What is a tennis skirt?" Maybe if I can find a good link??

Nooooo! (sorry, passionate about this topic ) I work really hard to teach/show my daughter that she can do just about *anything* in a skirt and she can. Pretty much, swimming and gymnastics are out but that's about it. Chanel (my dd) has done fencing (saber coat has no crotch strap), softball, rock climbing, and just about everything else in a skirt with bike shorts under it.

Thanks for posting this, I was beginning to feel a bit isolated! My dd has taken swimming lessons as well, but with a private instructor. She loves swimming, but I do know that it is not an option for us in the public arena. She loves to play golf with her Daddy and big brother, so I am hoping the tennis skirts will work for both sports!

Where do you find these. Can you post a link? I am so glad I am not alone, but alas, I have no sewing skills. My MIL is a very accomplished seamstress, and I am certain she could make something, but she lives in another state. When I mentioned it to her, she asked, "What is a tennis skirt?" Maybe if I can find a good link??

This is the women's one: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=55402&vid=1&pid=809741&scid=809741002 DD and I both wear this one. Not too many colors up right now but it changes all the time. I don't see the girls size up though. Grr!

This is the women's one: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=55402&vid=1&pid=809741&scid=809741002 DD and I both wear this one. Not too many colors up right now but it changes all the time. I don't see the girls size up though. Grr!

I don't either but this one below turned out to have great deals!

Would this one work over leggings?

The link she sent actually has a running skirt, but when I started looking around, there is a skirt very similar for only $10!! I ordered two in dd's size, and another that is lycra with rhinestones ($6) for a play skirt. They have great features and come in various sizes and colors. Of coure, the clearance ones are limited, but so happy to have found them! Only $9 shipping for all three skirts, yay!!

That type of skirt (Old Navy) and a 5 yr old learning a new sport....I sure hope your dd is more coordinated than mine was at that age! ;)

I've been a lifelong athlete, and don't share your views on modesty, but will give you my 2 cents about what qualities the skirt should have for her to have the best "go" of it with the sport.

Again, the Old Navy skirt, even if it was for littles, is too clingy and too much fabric at the same time for quick-change-of-direction sport like tennis. You want to be thinking along the lines of stiffer fabric that can hold an A-line. Any of the current tennis skirts made out of the clingier fabrics are very short and have slits for a reason -- the fabric can really grab at the legs and trip up a gal!

Choices for a young female athlete are very limited to start with, so I might try to find someone who can sew to make you what you need. You'll likely spend less time and effort overall. And, by having it made, you can make sure it is exactly to your liking, and also make it sporty and functional enough for both tennis and golf. Look at this picture and you can see while the length might not be quite right on the two ladies' skirts, you can see how the fabric has enough heft to keep its shape.

Also, make sure if you do have it made, that the seamstress gives you a BIG HEM. :) She might like the sport, and no point in having to worry about having another made in a hurry if a growth spurt hits!

Good luck!

ETA: I see you already made some selections. NM!

Edited by nono

I don't either but this one below turned out to have great deals!

The link she sent actually has a running skirt, but when I started looking around, there is a skirt very similar for only $10!! I ordered two in dd's size, and another that is lycra with rhinestones ($6) for a play skirt. They have great features and come in various sizes and colors. Of coure, the clearance ones are limited, but so happy to have found them! Only $9 shipping for all three skirts, yay!!

Awesome!!! Oh and Old Navy does have a couple longer skirts on sale for girls for play. One denim, one twill. They have a slit and we just can't do slits anymore for dd though. She rips them out every. single. time. So we do a-line or stretchy but maybe you have better luck with your dd. :)

my son had tennis lessons last year. My 8yo and 5yo will again this year. None of the kids wore specific clothes. Many of the girls wore play dresses and skirts. My kids wear athletic sandals. Everyone was fine.

A 5yo is not going to be participating in serious competition. She's going to be playing with a raquet and a ball. That's it.

Nooooo! (sorry, passionate about this topic :tongue_smilie:) I work really hard to teach/show my daughter that she can do just about *anything* in a skirt and she can. Pretty much, swimming and gymnastics are out but that's about it. Chanel (my dd) has done fencing (saber coat has no crotch strap), softball, rock climbing, and just about everything else in a skirt with bike shorts under it.

I grew up wearing only dresses/skirts. Dressing that way never stopped me from being able to do just about anything I wanted to do. I played softball, went swimming, climbed trees, etc. and I'm confident that no one ever saw anything they shouldn't have! :tongue_smilie: You just have to learn how to carry yourself (and a pair of bike shorts underneath doesn't hurt!).

Wearing a skirt to your knees isn't any more uncomfortable in hot weather than the long shorts that a lot of guys wear.

I think the problem will be with balls, so I am trying to think my way around that. Typically players serve with two balls. One in the pants, one in the hand.

Of course, women used to wear long skirts for tennis. I have no idea what the did with the balls.

They make little plastic ball holders that clip to the waistband. I have one and use it when I wear shorts with no pockets.

They are under $5.

Here's a link: http://www.tennisexpress.com/category.cfm/tennis/tennis-ball-clips-holders

ETA: With all due respect to the PPs, don't give up on tennis because of the skirt issue. At this age she won't be doing much hard running during play. The coach/instructor should be hitting balls right to her to help teach basic skills. As she progresses she will move around the court more but at this age most everything will be played on a shortened court (check out the USTA's new program designed for younger children; the changes are wonderful).

If she chooses to become a competitive player tennis dresses can be made that have a longer hem & ball pockets sewn into the skirt seam.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

I grew up wearing only dresses/skirts. Dressing that way never stopped me from being able to do just about anything I wanted to do. I played softball, went swimming, climbed trees, etc. and I'm confident that no one ever saw anything they shouldn't have! :tongue_smilie: You just have to learn how to carry yourself (and a pair of bike shorts underneath doesn't hurt!).

Wearing a skirt to your knees isn't any more uncomfortable in hot weather than the long shorts that a lot of guys wear.

:iagree: I think people around here need to watch the Duggars more often. Those girls do everything in skirts. Even inspired us to go for rock climbing (although those Old Navy jersey skirts are a BAD IDEA for this...WAAAAAAAAY too drapey they get shoved up into the harness and disappear:svengo:...need something of sturdier fabric...just an FYI ;) ).

I'd worry about the heat... Alabama in the summer, playing tennis with a long skirt? :tongue_smilie:

I wouldn't worry about that too much. If this was supposed to be a typical tennis outfit during the turn of the century in St. Louis where we get 100+ degree days and high humidity, I imagine a little girl in a knit longish skirt would be just fine.

judygarland.jpg

• 11 months later...
I'd worry about the heat... Alabama in the summer, playing tennis with a long skirt? :tongue_smilie:

I dunno...when I was on vacation in Italy, one day it was pretty hot and I changed INTO a long skirt for airflow purposes and felt so much better! Sometimes with capris and shorts all the material and seams and stuff close to the body make you feel hotter, for some reason.

I have to say I am so impressed with the Hive that people are willing to help a girl out even when they don't share her convictions. So many other online communities I've hung out in over the last ten years, that would not be the case.

She's five. Keep it simple. Make her a t-shirt dress. You take a t-shirt in her size or slightly larger, grab some lightweight cotton material, gather one edge, sew it to the bottom of the T, and then hem it to where you like. You can make it whatever fullness is suitable (not too full, not too a-line). These are also cool in the heat.

Guest submarines

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiLmaZxl1q-gKI3zaqUHqvPMePv7AV4GUsU2LPDMwWH8IIXujt2g

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCMn2NrL9CvlM9Dsrcj9xz_eN86B8uWGTRzIskU5TIJNhweiT8

Tennis is certainly more fast paced and dynamic nowadays, for for the first couple of years she will do just great in a longer skirt!

Peasant-style skirts are popular here. I just picked up 2 for DD10 that come right below her knee-cap. Paired them with bike shorts and rig a pocket for the ball if she needs it - you could sew a pocket in a short time or tape one on with duct tape :D. I think that would work great for playing tennis!

Do you allow gauchos? I remember going to ultra-conservative Christian camps as a child and coulots were always an acceptable option.

773be4a9.jpg

I was raised conservative Pentecostal and gauchos were a no-no. Culottes were ok though.

You guys do realise, however, that this thread is ancient and the OP has probably solved her dilemma by now right?

Guest submarines
I was raised conservative Pentecostal and gauchos were a no-no. Culottes were ok though.

You guys do realise, however, that this thread is ancient and the OP has probably solved her dilemma by now right?

Well, obviously we don't! :lol:

Ack! Another zombie thread resurrected by a newbie! I didn't think to look :tongue_smilie:

The not swimming people: what about an Aqua Modesta style swim suit? I use one of those and it stays modest: http://aquamodesta.com/The-Skant

That's their exercise skirt, which I haven't used.

If she's five, there are casual skirt options at kosher casual: http://www.koshercasual.com/girls-modest-skirts-girls-sports-skirts-c-23_22_107.html

ETA: Zombie thread or not, I still want to know why skirts-only people can't swim!

ETA: Zombie thread or not, I still want to know why skirts-only people can't swim!

We swim! I think it depends on the person. My SIL won't take her kids to a public pool simply because it is mixed swimming but she was raised to just conform and shut up (don't even get me started there...). I wasn't so we use logic and simply wear modest swimming attire. Rashguards and swim skirts. Big whoop. :D

Of COURSE I didn't notice. I never look at the dates until someone else points out the thread is old.

Soooo . . .how are gauchos not the same as culottes? Granted, it's been 30 years since I've laid eyes on any culottes, but thought they were just calling them something different now.

Of COURSE I didn't notice. I never look at the dates until someone else points out the thread is old.

Soooo . . .how are gauchos not the same as culottes? Granted, it's been 30 years since I've laid eyes on any culottes, but thought they were just calling them something different now.

culottes look like a skirt and don't form to the rear end...unlike gauchos.