Menu

Tues Waste of Time: Humor me, Please! While I don't give a hoot about................

the Royal Wedding, I am so waiting to see THE DRESS!

For the 2 or 3 women out there who may care as much as me about THE DRESS, would you post the picture(s) here.

Out of all the dresses I have looked at, I LOVE the first one by Valentino. The first by Valentino, just because I think it SO suits what little I have seen of her 'style' and the second, because I have read (and I do agree) that her dress must 'fit' the venue - Westminster Abbey - and the dress must be appropriate as far as 'decorum', presence, and volume (not being dwarfed by the aisle). Also, I selected the second dress b/c it was designed by the designer who did Diana's dress - and some people have written that it would be a lovely way for K to honor W's mother -- not saying I agree with it - just repeating what I read. That being said, I guess if the sketch is out there, that designer was not selected. Oddsmakers in the UK (really? folks do that?) say it is Bruce Oldfield.

FWIW, I do not care for the EE dress and I didn't care for Diana's dress either - but I am including it here. So many of the dress sketches I have seen, I have loved, but they were not done by British designers so I do not think they have any chance of being selected.

Oh, and I absolutely do believe that the designer will be British - and that makes perfect sense to me.

And, if you can come up with a better waste of time, please, post it here -- I am confined to a chair today while work goes on all around me.;)

Here they are:

post-10544-13535084773893_thumb.jpg

post-10544-13535084774034_thumb.jpg

post-10544-13535084773893_thumb.jpg

post-10544-13535084774034_thumb.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not much into the wedding either. I may or may not watch. However, I do love the first dress you posted.

I LOVe LOVe LOVE it. Since you like it as well, I am going to tweet her and tell her that I don't give a hoot what she plans on wearing, she needs to run out and find the Valentino dress!:lol::lol:

Love #2, hate the skirt in #1.

She has a lovely figure, and could certainly wear a mermaid sheath style, but I'm hoping she doesn't.

Her figure is amazing, but I agree with you that tradition needs to be honored here (b/c you and I are so traditional, y'know ;) -- kilts and all) and she needs to 'fit in' with her venue. Also, I truly think (not saying I agree, but I do 'think') that making a conscious decision to marry into the Royal Family means understanding that some of your decisions will go by the wayside as tradition and history are considered.

I know they are breaking with tradition in some ways...having an afternoon/evening reception rather than just the breakfast, for example.

Plus, being married at Westminster. Diana was married where she was b/c of seating capacity. Westminister only holds something like 1500, whereas the other fit 3500.

Diva wants to watch the wedding...I think, mainly, cause my mother and I watched Diana's. However, getting up at 3 freaking am doesn't thrill me. I'd probably do it, though, if it wasn't for having the medical panel that am.

That being said, I'm not anticipating sleeping well Thurs night, so if I'm up, I'll wake her to watch.

Funny...I'm not a 'royal watcher', but b/c I've always had a lot of respect and admiration for Diana, I'd watch the wedding.

I know they are breaking with tradition in some ways...having an afternoon/evening reception rather than just the breakfast, for example.

Plus, being married at Westminster. Diana was married where she was b/c of seating capacity. Westminister only holds something like 1500, whereas the other fit 3500.

Diva wants to watch the wedding...I think, mainly, cause my mother and I watched Diana's. However, getting up at 3 freaking am doesn't thrill me. I'd probably do it, though, if it wasn't for having the medical panel that am.

That being said, I'm not anticipating sleeping well Thurs night, so if I'm up, I'll wake her to watch.

Funny...I'm not a 'royal watcher', but b/c I've always had a lot of respect and admiration for Diana, I'd watch the wedding.

I'm not a royal watcher either -- i don't think dd12 even knows there is a wedding - or anything else about it. I did watch Diana's wedding - I remember sitting with my dad and when Diana and her dad were walking down the aisle, he said to me: 'Can you imagine the weight on that man's shoulders as he leads his daughter to the life she will now lead?' WOW -- was that prophetic!!!!!

Love, love, love #1. Agree w/ you that it is more to her style. Don't like #2 at all, but if she follows tradition, it will be #2. When is the wedding anyway?

I think it's Friday.......:confused: Gosh, that doesn't leave her much time to go out and rummage through the racks and find that Valentino gown. ;) I truly have avoided any of the hoopla about the RW - except the dress. It's all about the :lol:DRESS!

Watching Diana's wedding, knowing what we know now, it breaks my heart to be honest. Stuff you notice now that you didn't then...like how Charles doesn't smile, how incredibly young she was...

Heartbreaking.

It blows me away when I think how young she was -- poor thing!

And annoys the cr*p out of me -- if he wanted to marry Camilla, he should have married camilla..........doesn't seem to have made a bit of difference as far as whether or not he will ever be king -- why couldn't he just be happy. Good grief!

And annoys the cr*p out of me -- if he wanted to marry Camilla, he should have married camilla..........doesn't seem to have made a bit of difference as far as whether or not he will ever be king -- why couldn't he just be happy. Good grief!

What I understand is *she* wanted to get married, he didn't. So she married someone else. By that point, he needed to marry and produce heirs, which is where Diana came in. His father told him to marry her, produce children, then do whatever he wanted.

And they had to change Parliment to enable him to marry her and still inherit the throne.

I think they should have kept it as it was, and let him abdicate. I think him on the throne will cause serious problems for the monarchy. Ppl freak at the thought of 'Queen Camillia'. I have no respect for Charles at all.

What I understand is *she* wanted to get married, he didn't. So she married someone else. By that point, he needed to marry and produce heirs, which is where Diana came in. His father told him to marry her, produce children, then do whatever he wanted.

And they had to change Parliment to enable him to marry her and still inherit the throne.

I think they should have kept it as it was, and let him abdicate. I think him on the throne will cause serious problems for the monarchy. Ppl freak at the thought of 'Queen Camillia'. I have no respect for Charles at all.

THAT was totally my understanding as well. I totally agree with everything you wrote.:iagree::iagree: I despise his father!

Agreeing with you...I don't care a lick about the wedding itself and certainly not the wedding cake - HATE fruit cake!!!! But, the dress...well, I've just got to see it and I'm also interested in the attendants since British tradition means a bunch of supremely sweet little girl outfits!

I did not care one bit for Diana's dress...felt like it must have been designed by Disney! But, I also agree that though Kate would look smashing in something totally form fitting, there is the venue, the history, the appropriateness, to consider not to mention that her tiny frame, in a tiny dress, floating down an aisle the size of a four land highway - LOL - would look slightly ridiculous!

I watched Diana and Charle's wedding. I was a teen but I do recall thinking that she looked completely naive and possibly faking the smiles under a sea of stress, and that Charles did not look like a happy groom at all. There was no spark in his eyes when he looked at her. NONE. It made me sad even then. Shoot, dh looks like a big, happy, smaltzy, puppy dog in our wedding photos and every groom I've ever known who was truly pleased about his lot in life on his wedding day, looked like that too...not Charles. Never Charles...He should have taken his cues from his great-uncle "David" and abdicated for the future, ran off, married Camilla, and been happy.

Of course, hopefully, like any good parent, he absolutely does not regret having his boys. That would be so horrible for them if they are resented. His boys are worth whatever trauma he endured during his marriage.

Faith

Oh and Camilla won't be referred to as the queen. She will remain a duchess, that was in the agreement. So, yes she will be married to a king, but parliament did not want her referred to as the queen nor have any "queen" duties at least by official designation.

Also, queens who are married to the king as opposed to being "queen" as heir to the throne are considered consorts.

So, Queen Elizabeth is a true and rightful queen. Notice that Phillip is never referred to as king. Mary of Denmark will never be "queen". She may be referred to as the Queen Consort or she may remain as a title of Princess or other such fitting title. Yet, her mother-in-law, is a true Queen.

Therefore, no Queen Camilla officially. Influence, well that's a different story. They should just skip over Charles and Camilla and go straight to William and Kate!

Faith

Oh and Camilla won't be referred to as the queen. She will remain a duchess, that was in the agreement. So, yes she will be married to a king, but parliament did not want her referred to as the queen nor have any "queen" duties at least by official designation.

Also, queens who are married to the king as opposed to being "queen" as heir to the throne are considered consorts.

So, Queen Elizabeth is a true and rightful queen. Notice that Phillip is never referred to as king. Mary of Denmark will never be "queen". She may be referred to as the Queen Consort or she may remain as a title of Princess or other such fitting title. Yet, her mother-in-law, is a true Queen.

Therefore, no Queen Camilla officially. Influence, well that's a different story. They should just skip over Charles and Camilla and go straight to William and Kate!

Faith

See, I remember someone on TV saying just what you wrote the day that Diana and Charles were married -- not the Camilla part, tsk, tsk, but the 'title' part.

They said that Diana was not to be called 'Princess Diana' which of course she was. But that her official title was: 'Diana, Princess of Wales.' Oh, and they said that she would never ever appear at a public function again without wearing a hat. And I thought her dress was ridiculous.

Okay, what is with the hat thing????? Now admittedly, Queen Elizabeth is an elegant, sweet looking elderly lady and pulls off some fantastic hats. She really does! But seriously, an awful lot of women do not look good in hats and it doesn't matter what style you get, they look ridiculous notto mention that all hats with big puffs, large feathers, peacocks and flamingos purchased from the taxidermist and glued to the side of the head, and anything "wickerish" is just BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD. I don't care about tradition...stupid hats should not survive on the basis of tradition only.

One of these days, I expect a royal to cut the ribbon at some new building wearing a live parrot on her head that chirps, "God Save the Queen" or some such other nonsense.

Faith

Okay, what is with the hat thing????? Now admittedly, Queen Elizabeth is an elegant, sweet looking elderly lady and pulls off some fantastic hats. She really does! But seriously, an awful lot of women do not look good in hats and it doesn't matter what style you get, they look ridiculous notto mention that all hats with big puffs, large feathers, peacocks and flamingos purchased from the taxidermist and glued to the side of the head, and anything "wickerish" is just BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD. I don't care about tradition...stupid hats should not survive on the basis of tradition only.

One of these days, I expect a royal to cut the ribbon at some new building wearing a live parrot on her head that chirps, "God Save the Queen" or some such other nonsense.

Faith

:iagree:

Clearly, though, I was probably meant to born into Royalty b/c I LOVE hats and I think, b/c I have a big nose, I look good in them. I think the extra presence of the hat balances my nose.:D

Of course you were meant to be royalty! DUH.........

Now, now, now...the question is not the size of the nose, it's how much hair bushes out wildly from underneath the hat?

Here is also a deep question: Will Kate be forced to carry a bouquet so large that she'll need a wrist splint to hold it? Honestly, there have been some pretty extravagantly sized wedding bouquets in the royal weddings of years past. I do understand that when walking down an aisle that looks like the Beltway, one needs to be a presence. But, I don't think this should happen at the expense of needing lifelong chiropractic treatment...for goodness sakes, let the litle kids pull wagonloads of flowers and toss them everywhere if necessary; it will give them something to do besides worry about tripping on international T.V. and being teased about it at school.

Faith

So what will Kate's title be after William is crowned King? Queen of England or Queen Consort?

Another questions:

The oldest son and heir apparent (now Charles) is the Prince of Wales. The next son in like (Andrew) is the Duke of York.

When (if) Charles takes the throne, William becomes the Prince of Wales. Does Harry then become Duke of York, or so Andrew continue with that title?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Of course you were meant to be royalty! DUH.........

Now, now, now...the question is not the size of the nose, it's how much hair bushes out wildly from underneath the hat?

Here is also a deep question: Will Kate be forced to carry a bouquet so large that she'll need a wrist splint to hold it? Honestly, there have been some pretty extravagantly sized wedding bouquets in the royal weddings of years past. I do understand that when walking down an aisle that looks like the Beltway, one needs to be a presence. But, I don't think this should happen at the expense of needing lifelong chiropractic treatment...for goodness sakes, let the litle kids pull wagonloads of flowers and toss them everywhere if necessary; it will give them something to do besides worry about tripping on international T.V. and being teased about it at school.

Faith

See, THAT is the stuff that fascinates me -- the logistics, the configuration management, the process improvement of it all.;)

So what will Kate's title be after William is crowned King? Queen of England or Queen Consort?

Another questions:

The oldest son and heir apparent (now Charles) is the Prince of Wales. The next son in like (Andrew) is the Duke of York.

When (if) Charles takes the throne, William becomes the Prince of Wales. Does Harry then become Duke of York, or so Andrew continue with that title?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Alot of questions -- I would be the wrong person to ask. :001_huh: Truly, I only want to see the dress. But, surely someone here knows.:bigear:

Prince Harry's full name and title:

His Royal Highness, Prince Henry Charles Albert David of Wales. I think he will retain this title after his brother ascends the throne since he is the son of the Prince of Wales.

Kate will be when William becomes king, I believe, Her Royal Highness the Queen Consort Katherine...seriously doubt they'll be calling her Kate in the official title.

Officially, I think, again am not an expert, she will be referred after the wedding as Her Royal Highness, Catherine Princess of Wales and probably duchess of something or other. But, I don't think she'll go by the shortened "Princess Catherine" because she is not a princess by birth. But, I could be wrong.

It's all so complicated.

Mariann, this is much fun but very distracting from my late afternoon project of writing course syllabi and study guides for next year's h.s. level American History course.

Faith

Edited by FaithManor

Look, I am just going to say it....Diana's dress was ugly. Kate Middleton is a boring looking person (she's not ugly but bordering plain jane) AND she does not dress all that great. I don't dislike her but I don't get all the fuss. Diana was pretty and dressed (though I didn't agree with all her choices) rather nice.

....I am excited to see the dress though. :lurk5:

Camilla is horrid.

Oh, and because Andrew does not have a son, if Harry outlives his uncle, King William could confer upon him "Duke of York" so that the position/title does not become extinct.

So what did people think of Prince Edward's wife, Sophia's dress. I thought it was plain but tasteful. She isn't a fru, fru person and so the dress was appropriate.

Faith

For the record, I'd just like to say that I think any modern royal woman has a tough row to hoe, to be more elegant, more beautiful, more appropriate, more fitting, more ANYTHING than Grace Kelly. Honestly, that woman just nailed it; she was blissfully happy and so was the groom.

Oh, and Ivanka Trump's wedding gown was a "take off" on Grace Kelly's and it was gorgeous.

Faith

For the record, I'd just like to say that I think any modern royal woman has a tough row to hoe, to be more elegant, more beautiful, more appropriate, more fitting, more ANYTHING than Grace Kelly. Honestly, that woman just nailed it; she was blissfully happy and so was the groom.

Oh, and Ivanka Trump's wedding gown was a "take off" on Grace Kelly's and it was gorgeous.

Faith

OMG!!!!!! See -- it's the lyme brain fog ---- I wanted to say that KM should just have them knock off Princess Grace's dress which is what Ivanka Trump did -- I cannot believe I forgot to say that. Thank you, Faith for saying that! I'm so embarrassed -- :leaving:

Wait, I'm back -- I liked Sophie's dress -- it seems to be the way she and her husband live -- understated....relatively speaking.

Edited by MariannNOVA

So what did people think of Prince Edward's wife, Sophia's dress. I thought it was plain but tasteful. She isn't a fru, fru person and so the dress was appropriate.

Faith

I thought their wedding was great. Apparently, their marriage is too. I read recently that their 2 children are NOT Royal Highnesses (is that a word?) they have a simple title. "Lady Louise" and their 3-year-old son, James, is Viscount Severn.

I think, in a normal life, Kate and William would have a great chance in marriage; they've dated for 8 years or so. But obviously there are some OTHER factors. I've read that William is VERY aware of these things and is working hard to prevent some of the issues that destroyed his mom. (I'm really NOT a big fan, I've just spent a LOT of time in Dr's offices lately). I know one thing that he is working very hard on is keeping in CLOSE touch with Kate's family, especially over the holidays. Seriously. You have to push for your wife to see her family over the holidays?? We'll see what happens AFTER the marriage, though. :glare:

I thought their wedding was great. Apparently, their marriage is too. I read recently that their 2 children are NOT Royal Highnesses (is that a word?) they have a simple title. "Lady Louise" and their 3-year-old son, James, is Viscount Severn.

I think, in a normal life, Kate and William would have a great chance in marriage; they've dated for 8 years or so. But obviously there are some OTHER factors. I've read that William is VERY aware of these things and is working hard to prevent some of the issues that destroyed his mom. (I'm really NOT a big fan, I've just spent a LOT of time in Dr's offices lately). I know one thing that he is working very hard on is keeping in CLOSE touch with Kate's family, especially over the holidays. Seriously. You have to push for your wife to see her family over the holidays?? We'll see what happens AFTER the marriage, though. :glare:

I read the same thing (we are in waiting rooms alot, too). I agree with you -- I love your take on K and W -- I'm hoping (in as much as it matters to me) that the 8 years and her telling him that she wanted to get engaged and him telling her that he just wasn't ready, would she give him some more time, and her agreeing to do that, well, I hope that speaks to a level of intimacy, kindness, and understanding that they have for each other.

In order for me to pull off a hat, I'd need a college course, and a What Not to Wear personal coach! LOL

The hair...she has beautiful tresses...what will they do with her hair and will it be like that scene from "The Princess Diaries 2" when she goes through a gazzilion hairstyles and looks like a moose before settling on the just right do?

Faith

I thought this was the dress?

:D:lol:

I love the Valentino one you posted (but, then, I've often loved Valentino's work). Diana's dress was ugly. I never liked it. I think Kate's dress will be prettier than Diana's, no matter what she picks.

Dd & I are planning to get up early & watch the wedding. My mom & sis may come over too. Looking forward to it! :001_smile:

I thought this was the dress?

:D:lol:

I love the Valentino one you posted (but, then, I've often loved Valentino's work). Diana's dress was ugly. I never liked it. I think Kate's dress will be prettier than Diana's, no matter what she picks.

Dd & I are planning to get up early & watch the wedding. My mom & sis may come over too. Looking forward to it! :001_smile:

THAT sounds like fun -- now you are making me think of like scones and tea early.......what day is it? Friday, right? Hmmmmm, maybe. I would wait till like Thursday to spring this on the girls -- that way they cannot make me nuts about it.

And, thank you for being honest -- I did think Diane's dress was ridiculous.

OMG -- THAT youtube video was hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by MariannNOVA

O.M.G.

I thought all this time that the wedding was Saturday. I almost missed it!

Do I really truly care about the royals? No. But I got up for Diana's wedding 30 years ago and I am looking forward to seeing this one. However, I will also set the DVR, just in case.

Friday?! Geez.....

This may get me booted from the board, but......

I like the second dress.:leaving:

The first dress looks too frilly and busy to me, and I really *strongly* don't like the dresses where it looks like only a miracle of engineering could keep it up where it belongs. I really don't want to be able to picture the bride naked with quite as much accuracy as some of the strapless dresses allow, kwim? :D

This may get me booted from the board, but......

I like the second dress.:leaving:

The first dress looks too frilly and busy to me, and I really *strongly* don't like the dresses where it looks like only a miracle of engineering could keep it up where it belongs. I really don't want to be able to picture the bride naked with quite as much accuracy as some of the strapless dresses allow, kwim? :D

You have every right to like the second dress. :) There was actually another drawing of an elizabeth emmanuel dress that was a little different than the one I posted BUT I couldn't find it anywhere. I know I saw it Sunday night but I could not find it today......who knows, maybe it IS the dress and someone put it on the internet but then it was yanked and it's really what she will be wearing. I'll be watching.;)

I agree, some strapless gowns are beautiful and timless, but others leave nothing to the imagination and look trashy.

Since they are marrying at Westminster Abbey, I think that even if the dress is sleeveless, it won't be strapless as having a wardrobe malfunction in front of the Archbishop while on T.V. might be slightly embrassing for the Crown. I am sure that there will be a sense of decorum due to the location.

Faith

You know what I need Mariann????? HUH???? HUH???? I need to use this event as an excuse to get my blessed mil to make a rum cake and then consume it for breakfast with my morning coffee which should be crowned with real whipping cream as this seems only fitting for the occasion!

Faith

Y'don't think it'd be a bit mean to swipe back Prince Andrew's title and give it to someone else? !!

I don't know what titles Prince Harry might acquire, but I know Prince Edward will be the next Duke of Edinburgh. He already works as a kind of deputy.

Rosie

Ugh. Prince Charles annoys me too. And I could care less about HIS happiness. Why torture Princess Diana by marrying her and then CHEATING on her. Ugh. I hate men like that. He was old enough to know better.

Not that she was an angel later in their marriage...but I mostly blame him for that whole blow up.

The only way that Harry gets "Duke of York" is if Andrew dies and the acting king, presumably William should he outlive Charles, confers the title on him. The reason this is a possibility is that Andrew never had a son to pass the title to as these are hereditary titles that last "til death do us part" or "I commit some exceedingly embarassing deed so ridiculous that parliament and the king wish they could lop off my head, but can't find good cause in the law to do so."

So, Andrew is safely, The Duke of York...whew, poor man. He better behave!

Faith

I agree, some strapless gowns are beautiful and timless, but others leave nothing to the imagination and look trashy.

Since they are marrying at Westminster Abbey, I think that even if the dress is sleeveless, it won't be strapless as having a wardrobe malfunction in front of the Archbishop while on T.V. might be slightly embrassing for the Crown. I am sure that there will be a sense of decorum due to the location.

Faith

I thought I saw that one (including KM) must have shoulders covered in WA.

You know what I need Mariann????? HUH???? HUH???? I need to use this event as an excuse to get my blessed mil to make a rum cake and then consume it for breakfast with my morning coffee which should be crowned with real whipping cream as this seems only fitting for the occasion!

Faith

BRILLIANT!!!!! Rum cake for me and scones for the girls! tee hee:lol:

Ugh. Prince Charles annoys me too. And I could care less about HIS happiness. Why torture Princess Diana by marrying her and then CHEATING on her. Ugh. I hate men like that. He was old enough to know better.

Not that she was an angel later in their marriage...but I mostly blame him for that whole blow up.

I agree with you -- she was what, 19 or 20? She did what she saw - I mean her mother bolted, right? Then her husband does it.

They are such a nice looking couple! :) She is lovely, and he is adorable!!

I think that there is nothing not to like about her -- does that make sense. I also think that from what I have read about her, she is unaffected. That, of course, makes me think of the influence that Diana had on W. They are (along with Sophie and Edward is it?) a breath of fresh air -- they, however, do not have the option of staying out of the limelight that Sophie and Edward have.

I thought I saw that one (including KM) must have shoulders covered in WA.

Yes - which is why all the photos on all the silly aol links are ridiculous - it is stated so very clearly that strapless is not going to fly.

As long as it isn't the silly mishmosh that diana's dress was.