Menu

what do I need to know about a septic system

When we bought a home with a septic, we hired a septic co.(duh) to come and inspect it. The man answered all of our questions. I suggest you contact such a co in your area and ask away! You can probably get the name of a reputable business from angies list or ask around (like a local hardware store). Honestly, if you get them cleaned out every so often(this depends on the size of your family) they are no problem.

When I was younger we lived in Connecticut and had a septic tank. My mother was crazy about making sure nothing went wrong with it.

She limited how long our showers were. She was just fanatical about anything that would screw up the septic system.

I used to think she was nuts until the neighbor had to have their entire (huge) lawn dug up because they screwed up their septic system.

It was somewhere around every 18 mos or so. We have 6 in our family. Of course while we were living there, one was in diapers. We had a really old system that had to be updated. It wasn't cheap, but remember, no monthly sewer/water bills.

Edited to make clear: after we updated we did not have to clean out again as we move within 2 years. :)

Edited by anissa

We have had a septic system for the last 7 years and the most important thing is to not flush anything other than toilet paper. This means NO feminine products (tamp*ns).

When we built our house, the builder put an alarm on the septic system. Almost a year later, the pump broke and the alarm did not function and we had a backup. Because the alarm did not go off, our builder had to replace a lot of our hardwood floors on the first floor and a lot of drywall and heating ductwork in the basement.

We now have two pumps that alternate working in case one breaks (we would still have a working pump if the alarm goes off until we can have the other replaced) and we also added an alarm on the inside of the house. I could not survive that again. I don't know anyone else this has happened to though, so I don't want to scare you, I just want you to know you can have alarms and dual pumps to avoid these problems.

Having a well is wonderful, we love our water, use a lot with our big family, and really haven't had any problems. Everyone comments on how good our water tastes. I would taste the local water as that varies by location. Good luck with your move!

I've had a septic tank for the last 7 years. It's an anaerobic tank. Make sure you know whether you're getting an anaerobic or aerobic tank. I've heard that the aerobic tanks require more maintenance.

We've had it cleaned out twice, I think. They recommend cleaning it out every 3-5 years. Around here, it costs about $200 to get it pumped, so even if I had to do it yearly, that would be much cheaper than the $50-80/month I'd be paying for sewer.

We put some fine mesh strainers in our kitchen sink to cut down on the amount of food going into our garbage disposal. Heavy use of a garbage disposal will shorten the life of your drain field. Pouring oil down your drains is a no-no, too.

If your bathtubs and toilets start draining slowly, it's probably time to get your tank pumped. If you send a lot of hair (or pet fur) down your drains, it can clog up the filter in your septic tank, and slow down the water draining out of your house. The guys who pump septic tanks will clean that filter out for you when they pump it out.

I think that is the extent of my septic knowledge, but let me know if you have any more questions. :001_smile:

ETA: I don't have a well, but a lot of people in my city do. The one big disadvantage of a well is that if the power goes out, so does your water. I've had friends who had no tap water for a few weeks after major hurricanes. I'm not trying to scare you off--I just think that keeping a stockpile of bottled water or getting a back-up generator for your well would be a good idea.

Edited by bonniebeth4
ETA

We're having ours pumped next month for the first time in 6 years, just to do it. In that time, we've gone from 5 to 7 people (with 2 rounds of cloth diapers to wash).

My mother had to have hers done every 6 months or it would back up.

So, it really depends on your specific septic.

As far as wells go, make sure you're able to cover the cost of a new pump if it happens to go. Ours was in the $2000 range. Also, remember that no electricity means no water (unless you have an alternate electric source hooked up.)

When we built our house, the builder put an alarm on the septic system. Almost a year later, the pump broke and the alarm did not function and we had a backup. Because the alarm did not go off, our builder had to replace a lot of our hardwood floors on the first floor and a lot of drywall and heating ductwork in the basement.

We now have two pumps that alternate working in case one breaks (we would still have a working pump if the alarm goes off until we can have the other replaced) and we also added an alarm on the inside of the house. I could not survive that again. I don't know anyone else this has happened to though, so I don't want to scare you, I just want you to know you can have alarms and dual pumps to avoid these problems.

You have a pump on your septic tank? I don't think we do. As far as I know, it all operates by gravity. Is your house lower than your septic system? I live in an area where all the land is completely flat. All the houses are built on tons of fill dirt, so they are a few feet higher than the surrounding land, and the septic systems are lower than the houses.

We have had septic systems in both of our houses (11 years with them), and it really depends on the system you get. We had nothing but trouble with the first one, it was one of those newer ones with the spray heads. We had to have it pumped every 3 years, and we had to remember to put chlorine in it to kill the bacteria that sprayed all over the yard, nice. :glare: Our current house has an old system, but in the two year we have owned the house we have not had any trouble with it. It has lateral lines though, so the water does not back up, it just drains out as needed.

There are some newer ones that have a leaching system that basically waters your grass from under ground. Those seem very cool!

We put yeast down the toilets every few weeks to keep the bacteria alive, but other than that we use it just like the sewer system. Some people say not to do much laundry and such, but we have never had a problem (our county does not allow gray water dumping). The people who put yours in will give you a run down of what they recommend. Also remember if someone is on antibiotics or other meds that those can affect the bacteria in the system, and counter measures need to be taken (many meds go in and come out in the same form :lol:).

The last three homes we've owned have been on septic systems. In the thirteen years we've been off the city sewer system, we haven't had any problems with our septic systems.

Include a septic inspection as part of your contract. That will tell you what kind of condition the system is in. You should also ask to have it pumped before you move in. You shouldn't need to have it done for 3 or so years after it's been done. Be aware of what you put down the drain. If you have a garbage disposal, it's best just not to use it. Run it periodically to keep things from clogging but don't run everything down it like you might with a sewer. If you wouldn't chew it (other than tp) it really shouldn't make it's way into the septic system. Compost or trash egg shells, coffee grounds, vegetable/fruit peels, scraps, personal hygene/birth control products, etc. Look for detergents, laundry and dish, that are marked to be septic system safe. Pay attention to your cleaners. If you use a lot of chemical cleaners, you may need to treat your tank with yeast or other additives periodically. You want to make sure the bacteria is happy and healthy.

If you have a leach field, be aware of where it is in your yard. You don't want to put anything heavy there or drive anything heavy across it. You also don't want to plant anything there. The plus is that particular part of your yard will always have great looking grass.

You have a pump on your septic tank? I don't think we do. As far as I know, it all operates by gravity. Is your house lower than your septic system? I live in an area where all the land is completely flat. All the houses are built on tons of fill dirt, so they are a few feet higher than the surrounding land, and the septic systems are lower than the houses.

Our septic system is a little different than most I have heard about. I think our house turned out to be a little lower than they expected it to be. Also, we have an ejector pit outside that everything empties into from the house and then it gets pumped out to a shared septic system with three other homes. So the septic field is out in the tree farm behind our house instead of in our yard.

My mom would always space out the laundry over several days instead of doing a big wash day.

We were also very careful about not flushing stuff.

Also it helps if you have a big septic field. People who don't have big fields have overflow/ septic water come up in the yard.

Edited by OrganicAnn

We have one in the house we built 11 years ago. Absolutely NOTHING but toilet paper can be flushed, it must be pumped out at regular intervals (though ours went ten years before the first pumping, which was not cheap...), you may be required to pay a maintanence company to add chlorine and check the system to make sure it is operating correctly (we pay about $225 a year for this)....and I think that is all. It has worked very well for ten years with no problems.

We are on a septic system here as well. Angel Soft tissue really falls apart in the water, so it's really good. I haven't paid any attention to when or how frequent we wash clothes and haven't had any problems. This house has a garbage disposal and septic tank which I've never understood. Those two just really don't go together. I don't lve havibg a septic tank but it hasn't been the end of the world.

We have had a septic system for 15 years, we had it pumped out 1 year ago, it was completely full. the septic company told us we really should have it pumped out every 7 years. we have sandy soil, so the water part drains from the pipes very well. We don't put the laundry water in, it goes through an irrigation pipe to the flower gardens.

I have had no problems with flushing tamo*ns. I use the non bleached toilet paper, just because it is the one that is not scented. no problems. I have heard that it is good to put sugar down occasionally to feed the bacteria.

All kitchen scraps go the the pigs.

We've had a septic system for four years and have had no problems with it. We've had it pumped out once, probably should have it done again in the next year or so, just for maintenance. We did have one thing that we thought was a problem; nothing was draining, and we thought it needed emergency pumping. We have a two-tank system, before stuff heads to the sand mound, and it turns out that the filter between the two tanks had gotten clogged. DH cleaned it out, and all was just fine. We have an emergency alarm that sounds if the tank(s) get(s) too full, which is reassuring.

We don't use the really fancy Charmin, as we've been told that's bad for the septic system. We do use a garbage disposal, but fairly sparingly; we generally compost or trash most food scraps.

No large quantities of bleach down in the septic; it kills the good bacteria that breaks down stuff. A little now and then is not a problem, but I will also throw some yogurt down occasionally, especially if I've used bleach, to re-balance the good bacteria.

I believe DH opts to use a push mower on the grass over the sand mound, rather than the tractor he uses for mowing the rest of the yard -- nothing too heavy driving over the mound.

We had it checked out as part of our inspection before buying the house, and something was wrong with the pump. I can't remember exactly what, but we declined to settle on the house until the pump was replaced, and the inspector signed off on the septic system. So do make sure it's all in good working order.

I have heard that you're probably best off to balance the quantities of water going down at any one time, but we just do dishes, laundry, and baths as needed, and we've not noticed any problems. Maybe just be careful for a while, until you see how it works.

thanks everyone. It is true that Charmin toilet paper should not be used? If so, what are good brands to use?

I am amazed at the care that some people take with this issue. I have lived in my house for almost 20 years. We use whatever toilet paper is on sale, I flush tampons, we have a garbage disposal which allows good bacteria into the system and have never had a problem. Your septic tank is a huge cement block tank and the only thing that should get into your drain fields is liquid that seeps out. You have the tank pumped to remove the solids. We have ours pumped every 2-3 years and our backyard grass is gorgeous.

As for well water, it depends. Where we live the water is great, cold, and tastes like cold spring water. My in-laws have quite a bit of sulfur in their water and they use a water cooler. One thing to remember about well water is that it doesn't have flouride. That can be good or bad depending on your perspective. I use a generic flouride rinse for all of my kids to use after brushing their teeth. As others have mentioned if you live in an area where it is prone to lose power then you won't have water, and might need to prime your well when you get power back. That involves pouring water back into the well so that it can prime. Any of your neighbors will tell you how to do it, so don't pay a plumber to come out.

I love having a well and septic system, and wouldn't want it any other way.

We've always had septic tanks. For our family of 7, I think we've had it pumped once in the past 9 years. We use the really nice Charmin tp, I have a garbage disposal (and use it), and I do tons of laundry at a time, including the use of bleach. Though I understand that some systems may be "fussy", I sometimes wonder if the tp/bleach/garbage disposal issues are much less common in real life than what they're believed to be.

anissa, how often do you get yours cleaned out? We are a family of 4.

Depends on the size/age of your septic. We had one put in when our house was built in 2002. There was an alarm installed, but it never went off so we procrastinated having it emptied. In 2007 we put the house on the market and we the septic cleaned out so we could say it had recently been done. The guy said it was only a little over half full. We had a family of 8 (7 when we moved in) and used a garbage disposal even though we weren't supposed to. Front loading washer, though.

Barb

We have well water and a septic system. If it is in good shape just have it pumped out every few years---locally company can tell you how often based on your system, its size, and your family size.

The point about no electricity=no water is a good one. If you live out in the country you need a back up generator for power outages. You have an electrician put in a special plug so you can plug in a generator (used OUTSIDE only) and then it can run the basics of the home--lights, water, furnace, fridge, etc.---more if you buy a bigger one. It must be specially set up though as otherwise it can throw power back down the line and injure/kill workers that are trying to repair the lines.

The only problem with generators and power outages is that all of our neighbors have generators too so we have a hard time knowing when the power really does come back on :-)

I haven't seen anyone mention using Rid-X for their septic. Back when we had a well/septic, we used this once a month (I think) just to keep the septic healthy. Also, you might want to check on how many bedrooms (people) it's rated for. We've been shopping property and some are rated for 3 bedrooms, for example, so if you have a large family, that could be a factor.

A friend of mine had to have the sewer lines in her yard (she's in the city) repaired because those flushable wipes aren't really flushable. The guys working on her yard even showed her (once they dug up a pipe) how much they clogged up so if you use those, you might reconsider something else.

The point about no electricity=no water is a good one. If you live out in the country you need a back up generator for power outages. You have an electrician put in a special plug so you can plug in a generator (used OUTSIDE only) and then it can run the basics of the home--lights, water, furnace, fridge, etc.---more if you buy a bigger one. It must be specially set up though as otherwise it can throw power back down the line and injure/kill workers that are trying to repair the lines.

The only problem with generators and power outages is that all of our neighbors have generators too so we have a hard time knowing when the power really does come back on :-)

This is so true! We lived at the end of the power grid and lost power all the time. We used to call each other when we saw the streetlights come on. The point about the generator is very important to know. We always make sure the main breaker (at the top of the box) is OFF so that there's no power traveling back through the lines. Definitely have an electrician walk you through proper usage.

We have a septic too....before buying a house, you'll want to know the size of the tank, who is currently contracted to service it (if anyone) and when was the last time it was pumped.

Before we closed on this house, we contacted the septic company under service contract and asked how often they serviced it and what problems the system had in the past (if any)....our contract to buy included that the system would be serviced prior to closing (with receipt), inspected (with receipt) and cleaned (with receipt).

We have an extremely large tank and close to two acres of field since the house was built for a family of seven with 4 full bathrooms - it has three large drain lines from the house to the tank - two are grey water drains and one is sewage - the two are not mixed, which is a good design so that if water in the kitchen for some reason backs up, it isn't mixed with waste. You'll want to know how many drain lines are going out to the tank so you know where you can have problems if something gets backed up along a line. You'll want to know if your sewage is mixing with your grey water also so you can take care in what goes down the drains from the kitchen versus the bathrooms.

You'll want to know how old the house is and ask, if the house is older than 10-years, when and if the lines have been blasted (not just snaked) since grease, hair conditioner, food particles, hair, shaving cream, hard water particles, etc. will build up over time inside the drain lines and slow (and eventually block) exit of water....this was one thing we didn't know to ask and we wound up having to have one of the drain lines blasted and it's not cheap!

Ideally the septic system should have an alarm on it - if it doesn't find out how much it would be to add it.

Routine maintenance for us is RDX down the toilets and Bio-Clean down the kitchen drains monthly (two week intervals between the two since you shouldn't do both at the same time - they're both enzyme solutions to maintain bacteria, but different types of enzymes); when we moved in we replaced the salt-based water softener for a Pelican to continue to reduce the hard water deposits that can and will accumulate in the pipes; and due to the size of the tank, have it pumped every three to five years...annual service and maintenance is through a service contract and happens automatically. We moved here five years ago and just had it pumped six months ago - since it's really large, we still were only at 45% capacity but the septic company recommended we pump it since it hadn't been pumped since we moved in, so we did.

We have had a septic system for 8yrs we use to put toilet paper in it and used Ridex monthly and we had to get it pumped about every 18 months for about $200 for 1500 tank in our area. The man advised us not to use Ridex and put less or no toilet paper in tank and stick with Scott or angel soft if we did. We also have installed graywater for laundry machine and RO water filter. He also advised us to add baking yeast and sugar once a year. It's been close to 3 years without any problem and we would have known if we had to get if pumped. He advised pumping every 5-6 years. No grease or garbage disposal. Be sure to find out were you tank opening is. We didn't know exactly and had to do lot of digging. We had a general area idea and now have it marked with a water cover.