Menu

Getting enough protein w/out meats, dairy, eggs, legumes

I've been using the food pyramid to better balance my food intake, but I have some allergies that interfere with getting enough protein.

I am severely allergic to peanuts, moderately allergic to soy and supposedly allergic to hazel nuts but I've never tried them (skin test said so). I'm also allergic to peas. So all in all, in the legume category, I stay away from: peanuts, soy, and peas. I do eat green beans but most other legumes I stay away from just because legume allergies are generally connected.

So peanut butter and soy nut butter are out for protein. Also, I am trying to cut back on dairy and eggs as I've been getting hives since last Spring and wonder if they're connected.

Meats are another thing I don't eat too much of, just because.

So, with all that said, what are ways of getting protein without meats, dairy, eggs, and legumes other than green beans? Also, for those who limit their dairy intake or have children who do due to intolerance, how do you ensure they're getting enough calcium?

I appreciate the help!

I would really research protein. It is a myth in so many ways. I eat mostly a vegan raw diet, and I am certainly not lacking.

Susan

Well, I have been seeing people saying as long as they aren't starving themselves, people won't have protein deficiencies but I didn't know if that was their personal experience or scientifically based. But I also see they can eat all legumes and nuts. I'll look into it more, thanks! :)

Edited by BeatleMania

Maybe you could pick out those items from this chart to which you have no averse reaction?

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm#table1

It does include other nuts like almonds and sunflower seeds as well as things like quinoa, which is supposed to be extremely nutritious.

There are some foods that are supplemented with calcium like orange juice; maybe that would help?

If I were you, I'd try to eat a bit of meat, just because your diet has enough restrictions as is. A tablespoon or two of ground meat mixed in with rice, for example, might help.

There are alternatives to peanut butter now - sun butter (made with sunflower seeds) comes to mind. Maybe look into something like that for easy protein?

Here is a website with some info on the amount of protein in some vegetables. It says brown rice is high in protein, too. I didn't know that. So, you do have some options!

Protein Content of Gluten-Free Grains

(Ranked from highest to lowest protein content in 1 cup of raw grain)

1. Amaranth - 28.1 grams
  2. Oats - 26.3 grams
  3. Teff - 25.7 grams
  4. Quinoa - 24 grams
  5. Wild Rice - 23.6 grams
  6. Buckwheat - 22.5 grams
  7. Millet - 22 grams
  8. Sorghum - 21.7 grams
  9. Brown Rice - 14.7 grams
  10. White Rice - 13.1 grams

Almond meal, although not a grain, or "grain-like" seed contains 24 grams of protein in 1 cup of raw meal.

http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/od/nutritionmealplanning/a/proteincontentglutenfreegrains.htm

So, with all that said, what are ways of getting protein without meats, dairy, eggs, and legumes other than green beans? Also, for those who limit their dairy intake or have children who do due to intolerance, how do you ensure they're getting enough calcium?

For the non-dairy - calcium-heavy vegetables, bone broths, and a multivitamin just to be on the safe side. There's also calcium-fortified OJ. Really, I don't worry about it. There are plenty of cultures that do not eat dairy (beyond human milk in infancy and early childhood) and, in general, they have lower rates of osteoporosis as long as their diet is otherwise nutritionally adequate. There's even theories that dairy promotes osteoporosis.

Depending on the nature of the intolerance, yogurt and some cheeses might be tolerated.

Brown rice is a common source of protein in protein supplements.

Look at horses and cows and rhinoceroses and brontosauruses and all the other big herbivores. Obviously, their bodies may be adapted to better utilize protein from plants, and they probably eat more plants per lb of body weight than most of us really want to... but they do build big strong bodies strictly from plant protein (and whatever random bugs manage to get in).

Do research on veganism and b-12 deficiency. I think that's a bigger issue in the long run than the protein.

Some people seem to thrive on a vegan diet. Others don't. If you're feeling healthy and well, it's probably working alright for you. If not, you may want to internally clarify your stance on meat. "Just because" doesn't seem like a well-considered reason to avoid it entirely given your other dietary restrictions (though I understand you may just not want to be getting into it here). You might want to look at locally/humanely raised options for occasional meat supplementation.

There are plenty of cultures that do not eat dairy (beyond human milk in infancy and early childhood) and, in general, they have lower rates of osteoporosis as long as their diet is otherwise nutritionally adequate.

Certain ethnic/racial groups are more prone to osteoporosis, such as white and asians, and others less so. (20 percent of Asian and non-Hispanic Caucasian women over the age of 50 have osteoporosis, while 52 percent have a precursor to osteoporosis known as osteopenia, compared to 10 percent of Hispanic women osteoporosis and 49 percent osteopenia, and 5 percent of non-Hispanic black women for osteoporosis, and 35 percent have diminished bone mass. from this article)

Japanese people eat lots of seaweed, which is nutrient rich.

Also exercise is very important in building bones. Even the use of a squat toilet promotes hip strength over a sitting toilet.

See these

http://www.johnshopkinshealthalerts.com/reports/osteoporosis/JohnsHopkinsBackPainOsteoporosisHealthAlert_2022-1.html

http://www.osteopenia3.com/bone-density-exercises.html

I have heard of people with minor reactions doing rotation diets, where they might eat a food once every four days. That still lets them get variety, so that they don't become allergic to a few foods that they eat frequently, and it can let their bodies keep from becoming too allergic to those rotating foods. That might be an option for you for things like dairy and eggs.

There's so much more to legumes than the ones you mentioned you're allergic to. What about lentils, black beans, lima beans, chick peas, kidney beans, cannellini beans, chili beans, great northern beans, navy beans and pinto beans? I know you mentioned that being allergic to a few may mean you're allergic to all, but could you be tested or do you have another way to find out? All of the above are excellent sources of protein.

As was mentioned above, whole grains are rich in proteins too. As far as calcium, you can get orange juice with calcium added, and it's also added to things like rice milk and other dairy substitutes. Also, from all I've read, it's a high protein diet that leeches calcium from our bodies. So if you're eating a more balanced vegetarian diet, your body will require less calcium. A good, vegetarian/vegan friendly, dietitian would be of great help.

Vegetarian Times is a great magazine for information as well. Good luck in your planning - I'll do a bit of checking for other ideas and post if I find something. :)

This article touches on the protein/calcium relationship: http://www.epigee.org/fitness/protein.html

Edited by Teachin'Mine

I've been using the food pyramid to better balance my food intake, but I have some allergies that interfere with getting enough protein.

I am severely allergic to peanuts, moderately allergic to soy and supposedly allergic to hazel nuts but I've never tried them (skin test said so). I'm also allergic to peas. So all in all, in the legume category, I stay away from: peanuts, soy, and peas. I do eat green beans but most other legumes I stay away from just because legume allergies are generally connected.

So peanut butter and soy nut butter are out for protein. Also, I am trying to cut back on dairy and eggs as I've been getting hives since last Spring and wonder if they're connected.

Meats are another thing I don't eat too much of, just because.

I appreciate the help!

Dark leafy greens - kale, spinach, collards, etc. are good sources of calcium. So are sea vegetables, eggplant, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, tapioca, and most corn tortillas.

Whole grains are good sources of protein - quinoa, barley, brown rice, and whole wheat. Seitan is made from wheat. Can you eat tree nuts other than hazelnuts? What about pumpkin seeds?

Dark leafy greens - kale, spinach, collards, etc. are good sources of calcium. So are sea vegetables, eggplant, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, tapioca, and most corn tortillas.

Whole grains are good sources of protein - quinoa, barley, brown rice, and whole wheat. Seitan is made from wheat. Can you eat tree nuts other than hazelnuts? What about pumpkin seeds?

:iagree:

sunflower seeds/butter, other nuts and seeds you're not allergic to, (green beans are legumes), other beans, nuts, and seeds you're not allergic to (in rotation I should think), protein rich "carbs" like quinoa, and seafood.

I would really research protein. It is a myth in so many ways. I eat mostly a vegan raw diet, and I am certainly not lacking.

Susan

What do you mean by "[protein] is a myth"? The best sources of protein? I've never read anywhere that protein is not an essential part of a healthy diet, so I'm curious what you're referring to.

What do you mean by "[protein] is a myth"? The best sources of protein? I've never read anywhere that protein is not an essential part of a healthy diet, so I'm curious what you're referring to.

She means that it's a myth that we have to go right out of our way and panic over getting enough. Assuming you don't live on twinkies, you're most likely to be getting enough because protein is in all sorts of things.

I kind of roll my eyes a bit over being told to take vit C to absorb iron properly, because everything that contains iron also contains vit C.

Rosie

I'm referring to the unnecessary quantity often emphasized in our diet.

Susan

She means that it's a myth that we have to go right out of our way and panic over getting enough. Assuming you don't live on twinkies, you're most likely to be getting enough because protein is in all sorts of things.

I kind of roll my eyes a bit over being told to take vit C to absorb iron properly, because everything that contains iron also contains vit C.

Rosie

Rosie, many meats that contain iron don't contain any significant vitamin C (or none at all). Most plant sources of iron contain things that inhibit absorption and, if you look at studies, are very poorly absorbed.

OP, it's hard to get the RDA of calcium without dairy or supplements in my experience--at least in absorbable form.

Also, I think you need to look at your actual protein needs (most of us get much more than we need) and then look at what you need to eat to get it. Grains, legumes you don't react to, and meat if you can would be fine. You can do it. Someone else mentioned but a rotation diet may be a very good idea in your case given that variety of reactions.

OP, it's hard to get the RDA of calcium without dairy or supplements in my experience--at least in absorbable form.

Isn't interesting that those who don't eat animal protein have lower rates of osteoporosis and actually require less calcium.

Isn't biochemistry cool?

Rosie

I don't worry about protein intake if I'm eating a well-rounded diet (and I do!) but I faced this question often when my children were younger because my in-laws (farmers, big meat eaters) and well-meaning casual acquaintances who were in a position to eat with or feed my kids at the time all expressed concern about the Protein Issue. It's the veg*n version of the socialization/homeschool concern LOL. I agree that Western diets are naturally high, and that our recommended protein intake is pretty inflated.

I'm a lifelong veg*n, raised in a family and faith of vegetarians; I feel like this makes a difference many times because veg*n-converts aren't always familiar with the variety of foods available to them. There truly are junk-food veg*ns who are likely protein-deficient, but they're trying to live off of white pasta and the occasional hummus dip. Eating a well-rounded, broad diet will give you sufficient protein, IMO and IME. Great suggestions upthread, such as seeds and nuts, etc. I'd skip the processed fake analog meats, unless you're a veg*n-in-transition still learning about good nutrition OR if it's a rare convenience food. Don't make them a regular part of your diet.

Also, I got my MIL off of my back some by agreeing to a protein powder. Made into a shake, smoothie, or added to baked goods (pancakes, muffins) it was enough to appease her worries. Not all powders are made equal, and it's pricey to find one without or with minimal sugars and crap filler. I buy Jay Robb, and you can usually get free samples from the website. That might be a temporary consideration until you can figure out what you can eat while not aggravating your food intolerances.

Also, raw dairy products (milk, cheese) don't seem to affect my lactose-intolerant kids the same way that regular milk does - even if it's organic. I don't allow those products in my home, but their dad buys them and they do just find with them. It's amazing.

Isn't interesting that those who don't eat animal protein have lower rates of osteoporosis and actually require less calcium.

Isn't biochemistry cool?

Rosie

It is definitely cool!!! I linked one site which mentions that a high protein diet depletes (leaches) calcium from the body. I've read that many times.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!

I've eaten beans before, but I don't recall ever eating lentils. Since peanuts is a a deadly reaction and soy bothers my throat, I'm a bit scared to try other legumes. If it was a mild reaction to peanuts and soy maybe, but because the throat is involved, I'm not feeling too adventurous.

I've never eaten any other tree nuts and I don't know how I feel about trying those out, either. I might be able to get skin tests done to check, though.

I'll be looking into rice milk and OJ with calcium.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

It is definitely cool!!! I linked one site which mentions that a high protein diet depletes (leaches) calcium from the body. I've read that many times.

Only if it is animal protein. Plant protein doesn't do that. Yay for vegetables!

(Says the woman eating fish and chips for dinner. Do as I say, not as I do. :D It wasn't my idea, ok. I just agreed that I wouldn't cook tonight either.)

:)

Rosie

Tahini is sesame seed paste and an excellent source of calcium.

I agree that you don't really need to worry about protein as long as you are eating real food (rather than a highly processed, white flour and sugar type diet).

However, with so many allergies to protein type foods, if you feel you are craving protein, you might consider fish. Thats what i am doigng presently.

But what i was going to say is ....its becoming very common for people to have all these allergies- but while it is important to avoid the food for now- its also important to work on your digestive system. Food allergies and many other common, modern diseases, are caused by what is called "leaky gut". Basically particles of food are escaping through your damaged gut lining into your bloodstream, and then the immune system attacks them and forms antibodies against them- which it shouldn't normally do to food, but it shouldn't be in your bloodstream. So underlying all the allergy issues is a gut issue, and that is where you need to work to heal your system- and eventually you will most likely be able to eat at least some of the foods you now cannot. It takes time though.

One approach that seems to be effective for many people, is the GAPS diet. But you can also google leaky gut.