Menu

The AIG and CHEC issues and their implications

I think that we could benefit from stepping back and reflecting on the homeschooling convention issues that have arisen during the last few years.

I have done so, and the conclusion that I have come to is that convention organizers, in general, are poised to 'own' homeschooling in 10 years.

Let me explain.

When I started thinking about homeschooling, I knew just a few, fairly loonily defensive, very patriarchal families who were doing it. They seemed really, really narrow to me. I didn't want to be like them, and I didn't want anyone else to think I was like them.

Then I read about homeschooling a lot over a couple of years in Mothering magazine, and it started to sound very appealing. But I still couldn't figure out how to figure out how to do it. And I had an only child, and didn't think it was even fair to her to do it in such a small family. But at least I wanted to. Badly. In a 'this is the logical extension of attachment parenting' kind of way. But I was Christian, and the Christian component of homeschooling was extremely important to me, and didn't seem consistent with the Mothering views.

But I wanted to homeschool at this point, so I started hunting around seriously for others to do this with. I attended the free opening session of the state's Christian homeschooling conference. More looniness, not for me. Lots of emphasis on corporal punishment, homeschooling as God's will for every Christian, mothers doing this in order to obey their husbands whether they wanted to or not, God 'filling in the gaps' for parents who were unable to actually teach their children, so that the children learned on their own without them, stuff like that. Fine for some, not for me. I wore a Mothering magazine t-shirt in the hopes that others who might be BOTH Christian AND attachment parent-oriented would approach me and we could start a cozy little coop support group and live happily ever after. No luck, in fact I think I seemed kind of alien there. So I did not choose to buy a ticket to the entire convention, because I was pretty sure that I would not fit in, conservative Christian or not.

I started reading about it, too. I hunted through the libary's minimal selections for homeschooling books and read them. They weren't enough, even remotely, to help me actually picture what I would do every day.

I searched on the web and found a secular state homeschooling website. They had the instructions on how to legally register a homeschool, which was helpful but not sufficient to give me a picture of what to do every day, and they had contact info, mostly phone numbers and a few email addresses, to local homeschooling groups. Those were largely unresponsive as I tried to reach them, and they wanted to know a lot about me that I didn't know the answers to yet.

This was all kind of challenging. I wanted to do this, and couldn't really figure out how, and couldn't find the info to help me.

And I don't think I'm alone. I think most people, when they start thinking about this idea, look for books and groups to learn from and to give them ideas, instruction, and confidence.

Enter the homeschooling conventions.

Where else are there:

1) Lots and lots of homeschooling books (and even curricula!)

2) Lots and lots of homeschooling parents

3) Lots and lots of homeschooling groups

4) Lots and lots of information about how to get started, how to keep things legal, how to find a local group, etc.

????????????

Whoever 'owns' the conventions shapes the face of homeschooling for many, many future homeschooling parents. Had I attended a truly inclusive homeschooling convention early in this path, I would have had a much easier time getting started. Had I not been pretty tenacious, I would have given up. How many others do give up because they can't find the info they need to get going?

So I believe that any reasonably inclusive-seeming homeschooling convention that I could have attended early on would have 'imprinted' me with a picture of homeschooling that I would have stuck with, largely, and that they would have done the same to almost anyone else who attended, probably to a much greater extent (because I tend to research and question things more than a lot of people). And therefore if a reasonably inclusive-seeming homeschooling convention exists, it will effectively DEFINE HOMESCHOOLING to a large extent for those who are not already very familiar with it. It follows, then, that if a reasonably inclusive-seeming homeschooling convention excludes a particular major speaker or company, that speaker or company will be at a tremendous disadvantage going forward. They will be able to coast for a while on their established reputation, but will have great difficulty 10 years down the road in the long run as they will seem vaguely suspect by their absence.

So, in conclusion, I think homeschooling convention organizers are going to 'own' (define and shape) homeschooling as it is perceived and maybe even as it plays out, 10 years out. Homeschooling convention organizers are the only people who pull together many, many homeschoolers, many, many curricula, many, many homeschooling books/resources, and many, many homeschooling groups. By selecting among these homeschoolers, curricula, books, resources, speakers, and groups, they will have the thumbs up or thumbs down power for many of them. And by producing the public face of homeschooling to so many, they will define the recognized experts and expertise for most.

It follows, then, that we have to be VERY careful to be vigilant about exclusions on all sides. And that we are, as ever, tremendously fortunate that we have these boards on which to share so much information with so many, in such diversity. Really, these are the equivalent of the 'alternative' to those conferences, and as far as I know, the only existing viable alternative that is broad in scope and geography and effectiveness.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Had I not be pretty tenacious, I would have given up. How many others do give up because they can't find the info they need to get going.

I don't think this is a bad thing. I know a woman who ran a local group, and she received many calls from people who basically wanted her to get them up and running. I don't think those who get it too easy in the beginning would (or should) stick with it. Good homeschooling should take hard work, and I don't know that those who don't want to investigate and work hard to start are the best people to homeschool their dc.

If someone feels there should be a large inclusive convention to help new homeschoolers, though, they should start it. And put their time, money, and reputation (and probably mental health) on the line as other convention organizers have. No one owns homeschooling, no one has an exclusive right to run a convention. It just takes someone to do the work.

I don't think this is a bad thing. I know a woman who ran a local group, and she received many calls from people who basically wanted her to get them up and running. I don't think those who get it too easy in the beginning would (or should) stick with it. Good homeschooling should take hard work, and I don't know that those who don't want to investigate and work hard to start are the best people to homeschool their dc.

Maybe so, although at the time it wasn't even easy to find a book that described how to be legal. That's my point--not that 'someone' should do it, but that at this point, whoever does it can claim some amount of power, and if they do it via a large, inclusive-seeming convention, the power could turn out to be substantial in 10 years.

If someone feels there should be a large inclusive convention to help new homeschoolers, though, they should start it. And put their time, money, and reputation (and probably mental health) on the line as other convention organizers have. No one owns homeschooling, no one has an exclusive right to run a convention. It just takes someone to do the work.

This is not what I'm getting at at all. It's not that I think there should or shouldn't be a large, inclusive convention. It's that anyone, at this point, who starts or appears to already have large, seemingly pretty inclusive conventions is going to define the public face of homeschooling 10 years from now. And if they exclude someone from these seemingly inclusive conventions, that party is likely to have a rough time succeeding in the long run.

Homeschooling is quite vulnerable to this.

The only realistic counterexample that I know of right now are these boards. It had made me even more grateful for them.

I think you have a point but I suspect there may be many homeschoolers who never go to conventions since many seem to have only certain world views and exclude others:( For example, I have gotten the impression, but I could be wrong, that Catholic homeschoolers are not welcome to speak or set up booths at these conventions. Or perhaps pagan homeschoolers, etc, etc..

I also think the internet is having a bigger influence today on reaching out to others. I know this website has been a godsend to me:) Plus it is much easier to shop online nowadays.

So I guess I am saying that conventions will perhaps not be the main force in homeschooling.

I do hope for inclusive conventions though:D

This is not what I'm getting at at all. It's not that I think there should or shouldn't be a large, inclusive convention. It's that anyone, at this point, who starts or appears to already have large, seemingly pretty inclusive conventions is going to define the public face of homeschooling 10 years from now. And if they exclude someone from these seemingly inclusive conventions, that party is likely to have a rough time succeeding in the long run.

Homeschooling is quite vulnerable to this.

The only realistic counterexample that I know of right now are these boards. It had made me even more grateful for them.

I think the convention issue is seen on a smaller scale in the local support group problems that have surfaced over the past few years. In my area years ago, the only group was a fundamentalist religious group with a strict statement of faith. Today that particular group does not exert the control and power it once did in our region because others have come in and started their own more inclusive or diverse groups.

I do agree that the face that gets the most air time is the one that the general population will identify as "homeschoolers". It used to be the denim jumper and white keds which identified us (although some of us refused to conform to that). I think the homeschool convention "movement" is experiencing these same growing pains on a larger scale, but they are really just symptoms of the same problems, IMO - a desire to control and profit.

Did you guys happen to note Doug Phillips' post on KH's site encouraging a lawsuit against GHC? I guess he's clarifying what he meant by "rules of engagement." Disgusting.

I don't understand this. On one of the threads about the convention, I know I read at least one post that mentioned having AiG products in their bag. So, the materials were there and available for purchase from people who wanted them.

And Ham's partner was speaking there in his place, so their views were still represented, as well....

Oh, that puts another twist on it. The impression I got from Ham's FB was that AIG was altogether out of the convention. Doug Phillips threat of lawsuit seems to make the case that AIG suffered loss because they were not represented (contrary to the contract). Very interesting.

Oh, that puts another twist on it. The impression I got from Ham's FB was that AIG was altogether out of the convention. Doug Phillips threat of lawsuit seems to make the case that AIG suffered loss because they were not represented (contrary to the contract). Very interesting.

Didn't Ham say he did not sign a contract with the convention?

To me, it seems that vendor tables at a convention (and speaker sessions, too) are just like stores in a town. If you think you might like to shop there, you can visit. If you don't like the product, you can walk out without making a purchase. Just because you don't like the product doesn't mean that others won't like it, nor does it mean you should seek to get the store shut down.

I would actually like to see a homeschool convention that included unschooling; secular products; vendors/speakers of other faiths (gasp!), as well as their products; opportunities for work/mentoring for older kids, etc. If people might fall out in a faint just by walking past a vendor table offering something they don't agree with, then we could set up the floor in different sections, or "streets," and you could stick to those streets where you felt most comfortable....

The behavior I'm seeing related to this makes me wonder that we're not seeing picketing outside various churches (because none of them agree with each other) in our towns or public outcry to close down businesses in our towns which we don't like....

I think I see your point: the more people who can fit under the tent of the convention, the broader the appeal and less weird homeschooling will be, making it more accessible to more kinds of people.

I've been mulling this for the past couple of days, and I think that unless the conventions include a broad range of providers, access to a broad customer base for the vendors, then we stand to lose a lot of variety in the curriculum available to us. (Using "us" loosely, as I am in the last throes of homeschooling at this point.)

If a convention gets too specialized, taking on one specific issue about which it is passionate, fewer people go. It makes it far less worthwhile for vendors to attend if the audiences are smaller, and I know that many vendors make a great deal of the money that keeps them going at these conventions.

Maybe the reason I see this as a possibility is that it happened here in our area. I don't know the backstory and I don't want to. All I know is that there used to be a pretty large Christian convention here in town that I could go to. It was big enough that I could get something out of it other than a presentation on "how to have dinner on the table when hubby walks in the door" (I am NOT kidding...that was an actual session...and there were many more like it). The vendor hall was large and diverse, and because it was large enough, big vendors came as well--vendors that were not particularly "Chrrrrrrrristian" and there was good selection. Just a few weeks before the convention (a few years ago), the board, however, split over some issue or other (and it was not over something like "the divinity of Christ" -- it was a side issue -- and then we suddenly had TWO conventions. But now, as far as I know, we have neither. They were both too small to bring in a variety of vendors...not worth it to them to come all this way...and now we have the one provided by the statewide organization, which is pretty darn good now, but at that time was focused on unschooling, so THAT was a pain for people who didn't do THAT.

Homeschoolers are not a majority of the population. While people no longer look at you like you have a third eye when you say you homeschool, they still ask the same questions they *always* have asked (socialization, teacher certification, state standards) and if the homeschooling community divides and divides, then it's just going to get harder and get focused on increasingly small issues.

I agree with you, and I'm sorry about your conventions.

I think, though, that there is a larger question as well.

If a convention seems inclusive in some way--either broadly Christian, or broadly 'all homeschooling,' or broadly 'all homeschooling that isn't unschooling'--then the people who select who gets to present and show their wares there have tremendous power in defining homeschooling around that broad focus. If an unschooling newsletter, for instance, is banned from an unschooling conference, then it won't seem as legitimate to many newish unschoolers. If a Christian curriculum vendor is banned from a broadly Christian homeschooling conference, then it won't seem as legitimate to many newish Christian homeschoolers. New homeschoolers tend to gravitate toward whatever makes things even POSSIBLE for them to imagine homeschooling, let alone EASY. If they see something at a convention, they are far more likely to buy it. If they don't, it's far less likely; and that gives convention organizers with an agenda a tremendous amount of behind-the-scenes power.

So, who 'owns' homeschooling? Convention organizers don't own it right now, but unless something changes, they could very well own it in 10 years.

I agree with you, and I'm sorry about your conventions.

I think, though, that there is a larger question as well.

If a convention seems inclusive in some way--either broadly Christian, or broadly 'all homeschooling,' or broadly 'all homeschooling that isn't unschooling'--then the people who select who gets to present and show their wares there have tremendous power in defining homeschooling around that broad focus. If an unschooling newsletter, for instance, is banned from an unschooling conference, then it won't seem as legitimate to many newish unschoolers. If a Christian curriculum vendor is banned from a broadly Christian homeschooling conference, then it won't seem as legitimate to many newish Christian homeschoolers. New homeschoolers tend to gravitate toward whatever makes things even POSSIBLE for them to imagine homeschooling, let alone EASY. If they see something at a convention, they are far more likely to buy it. If they don't, it's far less likely; and that gives convention organizers with an agenda a tremendous amount of behind-the-scenes power.

So, who 'owns' homeschooling? Convention organizers don't own it right now, but unless something changes, they could very well own it in 10 years.

I think your argument is valid regarding the conventions themselves, but wouldn't the conclusion assume that the conventions are the only/main place where people will seek out homeschooling information?

Great post, Carol.

Like kiosks in the mall. There is enough room out there for everyone, but everyone has to feel comfortable enough to bring their goods.

I've not only stayed away from conventions but also groups because of actions like Ham/Wilson. And you're right, looking back to the beginnings of this, years ago, we should have foretold that this would ahve happened and I also think you're right in that if something isn't done that in the next 10 years they will own it.

Enter the homeschooling conventions.

Where else are there:

1) Lots and lots of homeschooling books (and even curricula!)

2) Lots and lots of homeschooling parents

3) Lots and lots of homeschooling groups

4) Lots and lots of information about how to get started, how to keep things legal, how to find a local group, etc.

Online. :D

There are still lots of homeschoolers who don't go to "conventions" -- many who don't even know that such a thing exists even! I didn't until hearing about them on this board - and they still seem like a very "American" thing to me. Canadian conventions might exist, but I've never heard of any..no advertising, emails, etc about any.

(I wouldn't go to one anyway - not my kind of thing.)

Oh, I know what you mean. You and I had a sort of similar experience with the conventions early on. The difference for me was a very small, very focused Classical Homeschooling Group. We met once per month to go over all kinds of things and that lively and lovely group saved my bacon. We had so much fun together! And it was really helpful.

The best convention I ever went to was focused exclusively on Classical education. I think a classical vendor might go to that one because it was so narrowly focused. But a general vendor might not get the bang for the buck. So, SOTW would make a good showing there, but it might not be worth it for, oh, Singapore. KWIM?

It's funny because I didn't go to a convention again for years--I think it was 6-7 years--and then I also attended a little classical get together up near Sacramento. It had SWB as the only speaker, and all PHP's materials plus some of their recommended resources, and one little homeschooling store that had a variety of materials, and that was it. There were probably about 150-200 people there, and it was wonderful for me.

Still, though, when I see homeschooling talked about the news, it's usually the state secular conference (which is very unschooly) or the CHEA conference (which is uberChristian) or HSLDA. I was lucky to find something else when I was hunting around to figure out what to do, but it was difficult to find it.

Online. :D

There are still lots of homeschoolers who don't go to "conventions" -- many who don't even know that such a thing exists even! I didn't until hearing about them on this board - and they still seem like a very "American" thing to me. Canadian conventions might exist, but I've never heard of any..no advertising, emails, etc about any.

Yes, and these boards are the part of the online community that really works the best in the broad, respectful way that advocates for and defines homeschooling itself rather then 'insert adjective here' homeschooling.

Right and I have that fear as well, even though I, like you, am almost finished with this journey. I'd hate to see parents have to go back out on their own, as they had to years ago. I'm sure they could still find plenty of books, texts, classes, etc. but it would be sad to see our cause backslide....

I think your argument is valid regarding the conventions themselves, but wouldn't the conclusion assume that the conventions are the only/main place where people will seek out homeschooling information?

Good question! That's not what I'm assuming. What I'm assuming is that people will seek out homeschooling information in a lot of places, and the conventions and convention websites are going to be where the most people find the most information. So although they won't be the source for everyone, my surmise is that unless something changes they will be the source for the great majority of active homeschoolers, and will also represent homeschooling to most of the non-homeschooling public because of their size and visibility. In other words, they will 'own' homeschooling.

The only big exception that I can think of is these boards.

Hmmm...maybe that helps to explain why they are so oddly targetted at times. Or not. I'm not a conspiracy theory whackaloon!

It's funny because I didn't go to a convention again for years--I think it was 6-7 years--and then I also attended a little classical get together up near Sacramento. It had SWB as the only speaker, and all PHP's materials plus some of their recommended resources, and one little homeschooling store that had a variety of materials, and that was it. There were probably about 150-200 people there, and it was wonderful for me.

Still, though, when I see homeschooling talked about the news, it's usually the state secular conference (which is very unschooly) or the CHEA conference (which is uberChristian) or HSLDA. I was lucky to find something else when I was hunting around to figure out what to do, but it was difficult to find it.

Oo! I went to that little classical conference! Wasn't it great?? I met someone from Silicon Valley and we had lunch, wonder if it was you. :)

The state secular conference is trying to get more diverse and reaching out to different folks, so I'm hoping that will help.

Good question! That's not what I'm assuming. What I'm assuming is that people will seek out homeschooling information in a lot of places, and the conventions and convention websites are going to be where the most people find the most information. So although they won't be the source for everyone, my surmise is that unless something changes they will be the source for the great majority of active homeschoolers, and will also represent homeschooling to most of the non-homeschooling public because of their size and visibility. In other words, they will 'own' homeschooling.

The only big exception that I can think of is these boards.

Hmmm...maybe that helps to explain why they are so oddly targetted at times. Or not. I'm not a conspiracy theory whackaloon!

LOL! I've just never been to a convention mainly because the speakers in my neck of the woods aren't my style. I remember being asked by a lady contemplating homeschooling if it was mandatory to have long hair and wear jumpers. :D So, you're right. The face in the forefront is the one that is associated with "homeschooling".

I like the store-front analogy. It makes a lot of sense to me. Unfortunately there are those out there who would love to see certain "shops" go out of business.

I'm thankful that there are other venues than just our local homeschool conferences - otherwise I would be in big trouble.

Oo! I went to that little classical conference! Wasn't it great?? I met someone from Silicon Valley and we had lunch, wonder if it was you. :)

The state secular conference is trying to get more diverse and reaching out to different folks, so I'm hoping that will help.

Oh, I think that was I! How are you? Wasn't that the BEST?

Since then I've been to a CHEA conference after all, because I wanted to find out a great deal about how to homeschool high school all in one place, and also to the PHP anniversary conference in Virginia a couple of years ago, which was way better (for me). I've never been to the state conference, and now that DD is in a high school I probably won't ever go.

Still I keep on top of things in case high school turns out not to be the best choice after all.

It's been really interesting to see speakers start to pop up more independently again, like SWB going on tour outside of the regular conference circuit to some extent, or Julie Bogart doing her workshops at various locations last year. I find that encouraging. But that doesn't create the homeschooling 'face'.

LOL! I've just never been to a convention mainly because the speakers in my neck of the woods aren't my style. I remember being asked by a lady contemplating homeschooling if it was mandatory to have long hair and wear jumpers.

I'm pretty sure that Birkenstocks or athletic shoes are mandatory, LOL.

One other thing: I think the majority of comments I put on the "feedback" forms were things like this: "Are you running a homeschool convention or a church? I don't need sessions on how to run family devotions, or how to cook dinner while homeschooling, or the worldview of a Christian homeschooler or how to be in submission while running my homeschool. I need to know what to DO to *HOMESCHOOL*--what does a day look like, when do I have to get the SAT testing done, and how do I do that, and please just don't send me a link and make me read it. Please tell me the how much it will cost, explain to me what a unit study is and what kind of kid/mom does it work for, and how to evaluate a piece of curriculum for use in my home. THAT is what I need. I'll get my worldview and my devotional and my family life straight with my CHURCH."

(Copy paste insert in next homeschool convention feedback form. Exception: state-wide inclusive convention...)

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

:hurray:

One other thing: I think the majority of comments I put on the "feedback" forms were things like this: "Are you running a homeschool convention or a church? I don't need sessions on how to run family devotions, or how to cook dinner while homeschooling, or the worldview of a Christian homeschooler or how to be in submission while running my homeschool. I need to know what to DO to *HOMESCHOOL*--what does a day look like, when do I have to get the SAT testing done, and how do I do that, and please just don't send me a link and make me read it. Please tell me the how much it will cost, explain to me what a unit study is and what kind of kid/mom does it work for, and how to evaluate a piece of curriculum for use in my home. THAT is what I need. I'll get my worldview and my devotional and my family life straight with my CHURCH."

(Copy paste insert in next homeschool convention feedback form. Exception: state-wide inclusive convention...)

You are awesome.

I would argue that no one is going to "own" home schooling as we move into the future. I think for a long time it has been owned more or less by fundamentalist Christians because that is the group that chose to home school first. But as home schooling becomes more mainstream there are many more home schoolers who don't fit this category. As much as Ken Ham and Doug Phillips want to control what everybody does and thinks, the amount of control that they have will be decreasing over time. And I say this as a Christian, just one that doesn't want my worldview defined by them.

Much of the country still doesn't have access to home school conventions. Home schooling can't really be defined by the people who own the conventions. Conventions are just one source of many for information. All of the Great Home School conventions (or whatever the name was) were east of the Mississippi. For states like ours where the only convention is the hit-you-over-the-head-with-our-worldview convention, many many home schoolers just don't go. I don't think it's even on the radar for most people starting out home schooling where I live. If you want an easy start, what is appealing to more and more people are the online public charter schools. You get to do school at home without the bullying, peer issues, forced schedule of B&M schools, but you don't have to do the work and thinking of planning what to teach. As the definition of home schooling expands to include other models of learning at home, there is too much entropy in the system for any one worldview or group to "own" home schooling.

I would argue that no one is going to "own" home schooling as we move into the future. I think for a long time it has been owned more or less by fundamentalist Christians because that is the group that chose to home school first.

See, I don't think it was the fundamentalists that homeschooled first. I think it was the unschoolers, the drop-out-from-society folks, the hippies.

Which kind of bears out my point. Whomever we hear about sounds like the norm.

Much of the country still doesn't have access to home school conventions. Home schooling can't really be defined by the people who own the conventions.

Maybe you're right. I wonder what proportion of homeschooling money is derived from conventions. Would the vendors be able to stay in business without them? And also, what is the public face of homeschooling? When does homeschooling hit the news in a positive, representative way (not as a part of a criminal controversy)? Isn't it when there is a convention that is big enough to qualify as news? And who represents homeschooling to non-homeschoolers? To an increasingly large extent, isn't it the conventions? (I'm genuinely asking. That's how it looks to me, but I might well be wrong.)

If you want an easy start, what is appealing to more and more people are the online public charter schools. You get to do school at home without the bullying, peer issues, forced schedule of B&M schools, but you don't have to do the work and thinking of planning what to teach. As the definition of home schooling expands to include other models of learning at home, there is too much entropy in the system for any one worldview or group to "own" home schooling.

Yes, and that's another concern I have with this trend. If public charters look more and more like the face of homeschooling, how long before homeschoolers are required to join them? Right now around here the public charters all know that people can walk away anytime, and they are still fairly restrictive. If we didn't have that 'walk away' capability, the public charters could get pretty strict--much more so than they are now.

The biggest mouth is the one that is heard.

I have been ignoring the ham threads, except for the one where we actually posted about ham.:lol:

I started homeschooling for my son's safety. I thought also for academic reasons.:glare:

Searching for the next convention last year in my area (DFW), I found a convention that seemed to embrace what you're calling "homeschool hippie" issues, totally off from the more common Christian convention ideas. Unschooling, homebirthing, attachment parenting, other religions, I can't remember, the list of classes offered was very, very long and I can't say that I agree that just because I had a homebirth and believe in breastfeeding means that I am a hippie.:001_smile:I'm not even sure there was too much in the way of published materials regarding actual schooly/educational stuff.

I feel certain that sort of convention would be more popular in California since there are so many Christian homeschoolers in Texas. Here I am stereotyping.;)

I don't wear jumpers, most of the time I wear jeans. I have two piercings to each ear. I go to church because it is what I believe in. I do not attend conferences because I don't need to. I order materials online or buy secondhand.

When I attended a workshop/seminar featuring only SWB and her mom, it was at a church on a Saturday. That was all that was going on. It was great, well-attended and not in the downtown of a major city.

Carol,

I can't remember where you are located in CA, but the Modesto conference (Valley Home Educators) would likely fit your bill. It is a Christian conference, but is not a one-size-fits-all one either.

I want to be clear and say that I have no problem with groups defining themselves as they choose to do so. They will either survive with their definition or go the way of the dodo. This is the free market at work.

I see the issues you are talking about, but I don't think there will ever be a homeschooling conference that will be perfect for everyone. This board is such a perfect example of that. You have every kind of person under the sun here and there is much discussion about how almost everyone seems to feel left out or marginalized in one way or another. The bitter arguments and pronouncements of, "I am ______________ and proud of it! In your face!" are another example of why there will never be a single homeschooling community.

You persevered because you wanted to do so. Many of us do the same thing. There are resources out there - much more so now than when we first began, and that is a good thing. No one owns homeschooling. :001_smile:

I really disagree. Out of all the homeschoolers I know (dozens and dozens) IRL, only a handful (under ten) go to conventions of any type. Most read books on homeschooling or visit boards/ review sites/ vendors online.

I really disagree. Out of all the homeschoolers I know (dozens and dozens) IRL, only a handful (under ten) go to conventions of any type. Most read books on homeschooling or visit boards/ review sites/ vendors online.

:iagree: This is my experience too and I know a great many homeschooling families.

But is that because they really don't want to go, or because they know these conventions as they are now hold nothing for them? I would categorize myself in the latter.

I would *Love* to see, flip though, look at the spectrum of a curric a company sold and I always feel-even with much research-that I'm taking a shot in the dark when I buy strictly from an online venue. But I have refused to go to these conferences as they were.

Ironically enough, I'm not much of a convention attender myself. But I do look at convention websites to help find vendors to investigate online and on the boards. And the only positive press that homeschooling has EVER gotten here in town that I recall is due to conventions held locally.

I see the issues you are talking about, but I don't think there will ever be a homeschooling conference that will be perfect for everyone.

I am certain that you're right about that!

You persevered because you wanted to do so. Many of us do the same thing. There are resources out there - much more so now than when we first began, and that is a good thing. No one owns homeschooling.

I hope that diversity of resources and lack of legal restrictions continue to characterize homeschooling. And I know that you do, too!

Well, all these convention and KH threads have been interesting. I'm just posting because I actually went to the Cincy convention, (I live in Cincy )and found it to be an excellent opportunity to look at curriculum first-hand, talk to authors, and be exposed to new ideas. I take what I want from it and leave the rest; I am not defined by the fact that I went or indoctrinated into some homeschool cult (ex: I had no interest in seeing the Duggars). I gained many new insights into my children and my own homeschooling philosophy as I took the experience of others and applied to my own situation. Simply reading books (which I don't really have enough time to read) or browsing websites and forums (that can lead to nothing helpful as often as they offer gold nuggets of wisdom) - these alone are a pretty inefficient way of growing your knowledge as a homeschooler, IMO. Side note: for the person that asked about AiG materials at the convention, AiG was not there in any capacity, however; there were vendors there that carry some of KH books or materials.

Regarding the KH/ SWB/ PE issue. My husband made a point to go to Dr. Wile's and Dr. Enns workshops to get their viewpoints. This is how a convention is and can be a positive event for the homeschooler - considering the controversy, where else could we go that had nearly all the individuals involved in this issue in one place? My husband had an interesting conversation w/ Dr. Enns and was able to hear from the man himself his position on issues like the literal Adam and Eve and The Fall as well as young earth vs. millions of years and more. Until you can research every side and every perspective first hand, how can you be so quick to judge who is right or wrong?

I think the only way the convention could have been better would have been to have KH there, and put all the players up on stage to address the issue AFTER they *privately* addressed the issue w/ other. Let people decide for themselves what to believe based on fact and not emotional drama. Then we could have an end to this soap opera.

I've been hsing for 4 yrs now. I've never been to a convention, and its unlikely that I ever will. Joining an online group for my city was my first step. From there, gleaning info, book recs, etc has made it doable for me.

Maybe its my area, maybe I'm just weird, I don't know. But attending a convention, when its come up, was more about time away with a good friend than anything else.

(For me, being in crowds is a bad, bad plan. One bump, and I'm in hellish pain for hours)

But is that because they really don't want to go, or because they know these conventions as they are now hold nothing for them? I would categorize myself in the latter.

I would *Love* to see, flip though, look at the spectrum of a curric a company sold and I always feel-even with much research-that I'm taking a shot in the dark when I buy strictly from an online venue. But I have refused to go to these conferences as they were.

Not Angela, but I did not attend one until my oldest was 11. I had been homeschooling for 6 years by then. I just didn't have a need to do so. Our CA one is very expensive - $109 at the door. That is a lot of money for single-income homeschool families. A regional one is only $25. I don't get the disparity. Most of the same vendors go to both and I know they pay vendor booth costs so :confused::confused: on that.

I am not sure that I have a need to do so now, but I enjoy it and it gives me a shot in the proverbial arm. (And it is a great mom weekend with my friends!) :D

I hope that diversity of resources and lack of legal restrictions continue to characterize homeschooling. And I know that you do, too!

There is giant diversity in the resources out there. I see the variety of items coming on the market all the time and there is no lack of quality products being produced. The old "see a need, fill a need" is quite alive and well. :001_smile:

Most that I have talked to don't want to spend the time or money when they can just find info online.

I think it is hard when you are on this board to think of the vast, vast number of homeschoolers who are just going along, living their lives, using a package from A Beka, BJU, or Sonlight, without doing all the research we all do. Or the number who are unschooling and see no need to go to any kind of a homeschool convention, even an unschooling one. :D

Oh, sorry, I've read so many things in the past few weeks about all this business that I must have mis-understood. I believe they both were involved with Creation Ministries when it was originally set up in Australia, and I thought that Answers in Genesis was the American name given to the division known as Creation Science Ministries that was set up from that original organization. There are several different organization names now, however, and those become somewhat confusing over time.... At any rate, I believe they know each other and have been affiliated in the past, even if they are only friends now....

:iagree: I learned much more from reading hs books, talking to hsers and looking online. I did end up going to a convention after my first year of hsing but the amount of curriculum was just overwhelming since I wasn't familiar with hardly any of it. I went to a convention this year and it was a great experience because I knew what I was looking for (from online research.)

Canadian conventions might exist, but I've never heard of any..no advertising, emails, etc about any.

Yes, there are quite a few.

here's a partial list of Canadian conferences

http://www.canadianhomeeducation.com/websiteinfo.asp?fc=1502

and here's another list

http://www.homeschoolersguide.ca/hsguide_events_parentprofessionaldevelopment.php

Carol,

I want to be clear and say that I have no problem with groups defining themselves as they choose to do so. They will either survive with their definition or go the way of the dodo. This is the free market at work.

I see the issues you are talking about, but I don't think there will ever be a homeschooling conference that will be perfect for everyone. This board is such a perfect example of that. You have every kind of person under the sun here and there is much discussion about how almost everyone seems to feel left out or marginalized in one way or another. The bitter arguments and pronouncements of, "I am ______________ and proud of it! In your face!" are another example of why there will never be a single homeschooling community.

:001_smile:

:iagree:

I have no problem with there being Christian-focused conventions. I wish there were more choice though but for that to happen that means those that want it need to get up off their butts and start one! The reason there are more Christian-focused conventions is because that is who is willing to do the legwork.

Edited by AuntPol

Nah. I believe it is a small minority of homeschoolers who actually attend those (or any) conventions - certainly nowhere close to the 1+ million frequently reported as US #s. The rest of us vote with our dollars - and that's what shapes the homeschooling offerings that are available.