Menu

Do you ever wonder if you're wrong?

Do you ever wonder if you may be wrong?  

1. 1. Do you ever wonder if you may be wrong?

• Yes. I'm open to the possibility.
    • Yes, I'm open to the possibility, but lack scientific proof.
    • Yes - from time to time I wonder.
    • No. I don't think anything could convince me otherwise.
    • No. I know I'm right 100%
    • No, I know I'm right - well 99.999999999%
    • The all encompassing "other"

s/o of Afterlife of Atheists

Do you ever - even if it's only 5 seconds out of your life - wonder what will be if you've been wrong about your thinking?

We have a lot of atheists in our family, and I've always wondered.

Thank you!

(What you vote is not made public and you can choose more than one.) : )

Edited by Teachin'Mine

I'm a Christian, and I've wondered at different points in my life. I can't imagine there are many people who could honestly say otherwise. It's not really a subject one can avoid thinking about or that most people haven't had occasion to explore.

I don't think I can be "wrong," because I freely admit I have no idea what actually happens.

My entire life, I've been fascninated with books and films that portray, for lack of a better word, "quirky" afterlife philosophies. But I've never read or seen anything that feels especially true to me.

Honestly, I'm not even sure what I want to happen. I've lost people I loved, and sometimes I think it would be a comfort to know they still exist and I might see them again. But I can't imagine a way that would work.

I'm not against it, in general. I just don't believe it's true.

I'm content to wait and see. Or not see.

I'm a Christian, and I've wondered at different points in my life. I can't imagine there are many people who could honestly say otherwise. It's not really a subject one can avoid thinking about or that most people haven't had occasion to explore.

I guess I'm asking anyone who doesn't believe that there's life after death. Someone who believes that the body decomposes and that's the end of the story.

Here's that quote:

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones." Marcus Aurelius

Interesting and thought provoking.

One thought comes to mind. I think it's fair to say - or is it? - that as moms we want our children to love us. Would it be enough for them to basically do what we say they should do, not hurt anyone, eat their veggies lol, etc. but tell us that we're not really their mother and they don't love us. This may be a terrible "analogy", but it came to mind.

s/o of Afterlife of Atheists

Do you ever - even if it's only 5 seconds out of your life - wonder what will be if you've been wrong about your thinking?

I didn't answer the poll, as it asked a different question to the one you are asking here. The poll asks "Do you ever wonder if you're wrong" while here you ask "Do you wonder what will be if you're wrong". Very different questions.

In answer to the first, yes, in occasional philosophical moments, but a few minutes of thought always bring me to the same conclusions. I've reached my position over many years, so doubts are emotional, rather than rational.

In the answer to the second question: no - see the Marcus Aurelius quote someone else referenced. ("If there be gods..."). Or as Darwin put it - "Let each man hope and believe what he can."

I have been a theist for a long time and have recently turned agnostic. I voted "other" because I would not really use the word "wrong" to define my beliefs or lack thereof. I do wonder about the existence of a higher power/energy but I have also come to accept that death may be the end afterall.

:iagree: I think you're going to get some people upset that you are only asking those who don't believe in an afterlife this. I do believe in heaven and hell and yet there are late night moments when I wonder if I'm wrong. For me, it is part of intellectual honesty. I go over the evidence that brought me to belief, to see if it still holds water. It has withstood scrutiny for me.

I believe in heaven and hell, although I do wonder if the evangelicals put a lot more people in hell than will actually be there.

Dawn

:iagree: I think you're going to get some people upset that you are only asking those who don't believe in an afterlife this. I do believe in heaven and hell and yet there are late night moments when I wonder if I'm wrong. For me, it is part of intellectual honesty. I go over the evidence that brought me to belief, to see if it still holds water. It has withstood scrutiny for me.

I didn't answer the poll, as it asked a different question to the one you are asking here. The poll asks "Do you ever wonder if you're wrong" while here you ask "Do you wonder what will be if you're wrong". Very different questions.

In answer to the first, yes, in occasional philosophical moments, but a few minutes of thought always bring me to the same conclusions. I've reached my position over many years, so doubts are emotional, rather than rational.

In the answer to the second question: no - see the Marcus Aurelius quote someone else referenced. ("If there be gods..."). Or as Darwin put it - "Let each man hope and believe what he can."

:iagree: and I'm not answering this poll.

As for wanting our children to love us- we have to earn that love, IMO. We can't just birth our children and then abuse them and expect them to love us, KWIM? Even if there is some creator, the act of creating does not impel me to worship it. The act of birthing a child does not equal love. Some people give birth and then stuff their baby into a toilet or trash can or other such nonsense.

I don't think you really want to 'go there' with comparing the Christian God to a good parent in a discussion with atheists though. ;) That could cause you great offense very quickly.

Here's a quote that touches on my feelings regarding pondering a creator.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then He is not omnipotent. Is He able, but not willing? Then He is malevolent. Is He both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is He neither able nor willing? Then why call Him God?Epicurus (c. 341 - c. 270 BC)

One thought comes to mind. I think it's fair to say - or is it? - that as moms we want our children to love us. Would it be enough for them to basically do what we say they should do' date=' not hurt anyone, eat their veggies lol, etc. but tell us that we're not really their mother and they don't love us. This may be a terrible "analogy", but it came to mind.[/quote']

Well, first of all, I am human and imperfect. I have never claimed to be omniscient or omnipotent and readily admit to being sometimes flawed and selfish.

So, of course it would bother me if a child said I was not his or her "real mother" and that he or she did not love me. It would hurt my feelings.

However, as long as the child did grow up to be a happy, healthy, functional, kind, ethical adult, I would know I had done my job. One cannot compel love.

One thought comes to mind. I think it's fair to say - or is it? - that as moms we want our children to love us. Would it be enough for them to basically do what we say they should do, not hurt anyone, eat their veggies lol, etc. but tell us that we're not really their mother and they don't love us. This may be a terrible "analogy", but it came to mind.

My concept of God is pure energy and pure love - the center and cause of everything and every emotion that exists. Such a God would not take things personally or get offended or withdraw his love. That is my personal perception of God.

Well, first of all, I am human and imperfect. I have never claimed to be omniscient or omnipotent and readily admit to being sometimes flawed and selfish.

So, of course it would bother me if a child said I was not his or her "real mother" and that he or she did not love me. It would hurt my feelings.

However, as long as the child did grow up to be a happy, healthy, functional, kind, ethical adult, I would know I had done my job. One cannot compel love.

:iagree: Beautifully said.

I certainly sometimes consider the possibility that maybe I am, but I can't help it. I cannot make myself believe in something that I just don't believe in.

My sister and I had this conversation about a month ago. She made the "maybe I'm wrong but I'd rather believe and go to Heaven than not believe and go to Hell" argument. I can barely wrap my head around that. Even if I'm wrong, and there is a hell and I may be going to it, there isn't anything I can do about it. You can't make yourself believe something that you don't, and if you're just pretending then doesn't that mean you'd go there anyway (if there were such a thing, which I fully believe does not exist)?

As a human being with intelligence and natural curiosity, of course I wonder. I don't think I'm wrong but I'm not naive enough to think I know everything. But to be honest, concluding that the end is the end is from is years of contemplation, observation and learning and seems the most right and logical answer. Plus it feels right, right down to my core.

I too think the OP is asking 2 different questions. I don't really care if I'm wrong. If I thought I was wrong then I wouldn't believe what I believe. Who believes in something if they think they are wrong? I don't get that. This is not to say one can't wonder. I wonder why so many people believe in various religions and in religious books. And I wonder why some people don't. Maybe people's brains are wired differently? Who knows. That sort of thing is intriguing to me. But to say if I wonder if I'm wrong about not believing in any of it, no I'm not wrong for how I feel. It is how I feel and what I believe. Period.

I wonder why there are so many different beliefs sometimes, and especially why there's more than one that claims to be the Only way to Heaven.

I found

interesting in regards to wondering about why people believe in the supernatural, it's a bit long though (54 minutes).

Oh no - I hope no one gets upset over that. Everyone is free to post and share their thoughts. :) I set up the poll that way because it's what I came up with in a couple of minutes of time. I tend not to put a lot of thought into something before I start a thread or post. :tongue_smilie: So as was pointed out, my poll is different from the question in the thread. oops! I think it's absolutely natural for every living breathing human to have doubts about any aspect of their own beliefs at one time or another in life.

Sounds like I should have thought this thread through a bit more before hitting that submit button. What else is new. :lol:

So - everyone please share. :)

Edited by Teachin'Mine

I certainly sometimes consider the possibility that maybe I am, but I can't help it. I cannot make myself believe in something that I just don't believe in.

My sister and I had this conversation about a month ago. She made the "maybe I'm wrong but I'd rather believe and go to Heaven than not believe and go to Hell" argument. I can barely wrap my head around that. Even if I'm wrong, and there is a hell and I may be going to it, there isn't anything I can do about it. You can't make yourself believe something that you don't, and if you're just pretending then doesn't that mean you'd go there anyway (if there were such a thing, which I fully believe does not exist)?

I've always wondered how many would still cling to their beliefs if the whole "hell" thing wasn't a part of the story.

And another thing, as long as we're on the topic....

I also have heard my entire life about how people who have been introduced or exposed to Jesus and then "choose" not to believe are the worst of the lot, and are rejecting salvation.

I say that yes, we've been introduced, but he and his people have obviously not done a good enough job making the argument because I'm not buying it. So how is that my fault?

I'm another one who didn't answer the poll because it's different from the question. As to the question - no, I don't wonder. That doesn't mean I never wondered. I'm just past all of that now.

And secular mom is right - using the parent-child analogy for the Christian god is not the way to go with atheists. Most Christians would find our responses to be very offensive.

Even if you "could" force it, it would be meaningless. For me, that's why I believe God gave us free will. What would our love mean if we were made to only be capable of love and had no choice in the matter?

And another thing, as long as we're on the topic....

I also have heard my entire life about how people who have been introduced or exposed to Jesus and then "choose" not to believe are the worst of the lot, and are rejecting salvation.

I say that yes, we've been introduced, but he and his people have obviously not done a good enough job making the argument because I'm not buying it. So how is that my fault?

I don't believe that any of us will be judged as a group. I believe each will be judged individually and God's judgment won't adhere to any man made laws on how it should be done. ;) I believe He is just, and I believe He is merciful.

[/b]

Even if you "could" force it' date=' it would be meaningless. For me, that's why I believe God gave us free will. What would our love mean if we were made to only be capable of love and had no choice in the matter?[/quote']

It just doesn't make any sense to me, really. "I will create people in my image, and I only want what's best for them and I want them to love me but I will put a tree with knowledge of good and evil in the midst of their home and tell them not to eat it, that way they have a choice. If they choose to eat the fruit of that tree anyway and learn about evil then they'll have to suffer and die. And I'm not going to talk to everyone audibly, just certain chosen people, and if people who don't hear me speak don't believe the people who do hear me speak then they are worthy of being tormented for EVER because they don't believe that I exist and therefore they don't love Me- the Supreme Being who created them and EVERYthing that exists. Nothing exists unless I created it, including death, suffering, torment, evil, etc."

That's my take on it all.

Here's that quote:

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just' date=' then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones." Marcus Aurelius

Interesting and thought provoking.

One thought comes to mind. I think it's fair to say - or is it? - that as moms we want our children to love us. Would it be enough for them to basically do what we say they should do, not hurt anyone, eat their veggies lol, etc. but tell us that we're not really their mother and they don't love us. This may be a terrible "analogy", but it came to mind.[/quote']

That quote sums up what I tend to say about religion, but it sounds much better than my words tend to.

Would I expect my dc to love me if they had never met me and didn't know I existed? No. That is ridiculous. If I gave birth to them and then moved to Asia without them as soon as they were born I would expect them to love whoever raised them (assuming they were raised well).

If my IRL dc grow up to deny my existence I will be sad, depressed maybe, suicidal maybe, but I do not believe I would d@mn them to an eternity in hell.

[/b]

Even if you "could" force it' date=' it would be meaningless. For me, that's why I believe God gave us free will. What would our love mean if we were made to only be capable of love and had no choice in the matter?[/quote']

I think I get what you're saying. But this sounds pretty selfish to me. It sounds like you're saying that God gave humans free will because he/she/it wanted us to choose to love him/her/it so that our love would be more meaningful to him/her/it? So that we have to prove ourselves to him/her/it?

See, that's why I can't get behind the conception of god I've found in most religions. It seems to me that once we humans try to put something that big and divine and unknowable in a box, we immediate diminish its meaning, make it more like us. What happened for me was that I got comfortable a long time ago with the idea that there might be something, but if it was significant enough for me to care about it, it had to be something I was never going to comprehend.

These days, I honestly don't go around worrying about the existence of god(s). I do my best to be a good person and do good work each day, because doing so helps make the world a better place for everyone. And, like that quote that's kicking around, I trust that any god worth worrying about will appreciate that.

I'm another one who didn't answer the poll because it's different from the question. As to the question - no, I don't wonder. That doesn't mean I never wondered. I'm just past all of that now.

And secular mom is right - using the parent-child analogy for the Christian god is not the way to go with atheists. Most Christians would find our responses to be very offensive.

Just what came to mind. I was addressing this part of the quote:

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. ... "

I have a friend who grew up 'agnostic' but currently goes to church - she says she's "really scared that the Christians are right about hell" and is trying to convince herself to believe in God 100%.

I think it's fair to say that the fear of hell can be a motivator. I also think that while the fear of hell may not leave, as someone continues on their faith journey that it's often overshadowed by a love of God.

When I was a traditional Christian I had times of wondering if I was wrong. It just felt wrong so often. When I stopped turning my mind off of it and trying desperately to ignore that small voice, I reached much more peace and certainty. Now I believe I absolutely know and it matches what I've come to understand about God.

Now, I have no doubts. I don't wonder if I might have been right before when I was taught hell and ****ation.

I think that I am somewhat confused about the question here. Are you asking:

(1) Do atheists ever wonder about whether they might be wrong and perhaps there is a God (or gods) after all?

(2) Do people who do not believe in an afterlife ever wonder whether they might be wrong and perhaps there is life after death after all?

(3) Do people who do not subscribe to general Christian beliefs about heaven and hell ever wonder if they might be wrong and perhaps they will go to either heaven or hell after all?

These seem like three completely different questions to me.

I think that I am somewhat confused about the question here. Are you asking:

(1) Do atheists ever wonder about whether they might be wrong and perhaps there is a God (or gods) after all?

(2) Do people who do not believe in an afterlife ever wonder whether they might be wrong and perhaps there is life after death after all?

(3) Do people who do not subscribe to general Christian beliefs about heaven and hell ever wonder if they might be wrong and perhaps they will go to either heaven or hell after all?

These seem like three completely different questions to me.

Jenny the answer would be yes to all three. I didn't spend time framing the question or the poll question - more just opening it all up to discussion. So feel free to share on any of the points you mentioned or anything related for that matter.

Numbers 2 and 3 are probably more of what I was thinking when I started the thread, and then the question in the poll morphed more into number 1.

Buddha taught reincarnation. It's a central teaching to the faith. If the soul remains intact, then I absolutely believe that it passes from one lifetime to another.

But maybe it doesn't. Maybe we return to the eternal energy as one, just as our bodies return to the earth as molecules. Our bodies don't reform in our next lives. Maybe our souls beak down and return to the great beyond to be mixed up with other souls and other forms of energy.

I don't care. I don't believe in a final judgement. I don't believe that I will be who I am again. I don't believe in heaven, hell, or any other place like that.

I don't-can't-know exactly what happens after we die, until I do and I seriously doubt that I will be consciously aware at that point of what is happening. But I do beleive in the fundamentals of the soul moving on as energy to return from whence it came and rejoin the rest of the universe. How exactly that happens is not my concern.

Afterlife is not my focus of my faith. Life is. I don't have to wait till I die to see the results of living by the tenets of my faith. the consequences are immediate and evident. If there is an afterlife, and if what I am doing is going to improve then Yay! Bonus for me. But that's not why I'm here.

I too think the OP is asking 2 different questions. I don't really care if I'm wrong. If I thought I was wrong then I wouldn't believe what I believe. Who believes in something if they think they are wrong? I don't get that. This is not to say one can't wonder. I wonder why so many people believe in various religions and in religious books. And I wonder why some people don't. Maybe people's brains are wired differently? Who knows. That sort of thing is intriguing to me. But to say if I wonder if I'm wrong about not believing in any of it, no I'm not wrong for how I feel. It is how I feel and what I believe. Period.

Wendy I understand what you're saying. But I could use an example with homeschooling. I believe that it's important to provide a rigorous high school curriculum for my dd so her options for and in college are open. However, that's not to say that I don't wonder if it would be better to allow her more freedom and less structure. I currently believe that what I'm doing is right - or as you pointed out I wouldn't be doing it - but I am open to other thoughts on it and I do wonder if down the road I'll look back in hindsight and see more clearly and see that I was wrong. kwim?

I just want to thank everyone who shared their thinking and feelings on this - it helps me to understand. I just wish I hadn't put my two cents in because I think I killed the thread. :tongue_smilie: My intent was not to do that, but to hear what you had to say. I'm bad at blurting out what I'm thinking in real life too. :tongue_smilie:

I also wanted to clarify that in no way was I trying to insinuate, nor do I believe, that all atheists go to hell. Nor do I believe that all religious people go to heaven.

I guess I was just curious about how sure an atheist is that there is definitely no God. While some responded that they were 100% sure or that nothing could convince them otherwise, the majority shared that there is at least a small part open to the possibility. Thank you again to everyone who voted or shared their feelings here. :)

I used to believe. Really. Now I feel like a kid who's peeked behind the curtain and seen how the magic trick is done. You can never view the show the same way again.

I agree. With all the searching that many 'non-believers' have done and continue to do, if it does turn out that the Christian God of the Bible exists and has refused to come out of hiding for them or has 'hardened their hearts' but then it claims 'justice' in eternally tormenting such people well... I'll just say that such a being is the one that deserves eternal torment.

What's there to be wrong about "I don't really know but I am curious to find out?"

My dad is very atheist and has cancer- I want to tell him to send me a sign if he finds when he dies that he, in some form, is still very much "alive". But not sure how he would take it.

OP, where are you coming from in asking such a question anyway? Surely Christians have doubts about their absolute beliefs that have no founding in any solid provable reality other than belief in what a particular book, that has been altered and changed over centuries to suit various parties, says? I mean, its a lot to place so much faith in one book, IMO- what if its wrong? I try and draw from many different sources to draw my hypotheses, including my own experience- just seems more scientific :) But I haven't drawn any solid conclusions.

When I was a Christian, I wondered if I was wrong a lot. Then there came a time when I learned enough science when something immediately and irrevocably just flipped inside me. I can never believe in the supernatural again, and that's 110%. There's absolutely nothing inside me that wonders if I'm wrong.

I am an agnostic...I am open to the possibility of the existence of God and to the possibility of some form of continuation of the consciousness after death.

No I never wonder about either Heaven or Hell. I am certain about their non-existence.

Growing up in a Satanic cult I was taught that if you served Satan on earth than you wouldn't burn in hell, and of course I didn't want to burn. But, I was never given a "choice" to serve him, I was told to do it or else. And the "else" was worse than you could ever imagine.

Even Satan believes in God and heaven so I knew there was one but I wasn't going. That was until I turned 16 and found that I had a choice afterall through the Lord. I could choose to believe or not believe, it was that simple. I chose to believe and know that I will be going to heaven when I die. I accept other's beliefs and I don't try to stuff my beliefs down their throats. Maybe coming from the upbringing I had gave me an awareness that we all have our own path to follow and it's really not me that can change the way you think. I would hope that all the ones I love are coming to heaven with me but I know that everyone doesn't believe th way I do.

Since that day when I was 16 I have NEVER questioned whether I am right. Even if I am wrong what do I have to lose? I would still live my life the way I am living it today because for once I am happy.

This question reminds me of Pascal's Wager

Pascal's Wager (or Pascal's Gambit) is a suggestion posed by the French philosopher, mathematician and physicist Blaise Pascal that, even though the existence of God cannot be determined through reason, a person should wager as though God exists, because living life accordingly has everything to gain, and nothing to lose.

There have been countless rebuttals to this. Here are a few.

Here's mine in brief: "If god is all-knowing, wouldn't s/he be aware that I'm lying? Does lying count as faith? Besides, I do not think I have everything to gain and nothing to lose by believing; that type of thinking stems from belief in an afterlife, where this life's sole purpose is to prepare you for what happens upon death. I have a lot to lose by believing: my integrity. I would be lying to myself, and if there is a god I would be lying to him/her/it. I cannot found my life upon a lie."

I've read the responses and still don't see the point of this question. Do I as a non-believer ever wonder if I'm wrong? Do you ever wonder if you are spending your life believing a lie?? Plus giving your time and money to an institution that is propagating that lie?? Remembering how much time / money / tears I spent over my faith keeps me awake at night much more than wondering if there's a Hell and whether I'll end up in it.

I used to believe. Really. Now I feel like a kid who's peeked behind the curtain and seen how the magic trick is done. You can never view the show the same way again.

Shari there is no point to it other than what I said in the original post. I simply asked the question because I'm curious and want to understand better. As I said, many family members, and friends, are atheists and I thought some input here would help me to understand.

Do I currently believe I am spending my life believing a lie - no, not at all. Have I in the past - yes. Years ago I had gone to a "healing" service - one of those with crutches hanging up all over and people having tumors the size of grapefruit "removed" and them jumping all over the place. I had never seen anything like it and saw the "magic trick" in motion. It was very sad that someone would use religion in that way. Anything for a profit. They'd collect money by asking you to put as much as you could possibly afford that night into your left hand and holding it up high. Fifteen minutes later, they were asking you to do the same with your right. I'm surprised they didn't have us take off our shoes and do the same with our feet. :tongue_smilie:

I know what you mean, but I imagine there are "methods" of schooling that you absolutely would not believe would work. For example, if someone said you should lock your child in a dark hot closet for 8 hours a day so she can think about stuff I think you would be fairly confident rejecting that method. I don't think you would agonize over rejecting to give it a try. But how do you know if it isn't really the best or that it doesn't work well? Because it just sounds so outrageous to you. That is exactly how I see religion. It's outrageous to me.

This isn't to say I cannot imagine why people are religious or would choose religion. I also respect their choice and freedom in the matter. (Because I want the same respect and freedom.)

Thank you for the analogy. :)