Menu

Really bad books

When I was in middle school one of my friends had an obsession with V.C. Andrews...had a shelf full of them. One afternoon I speed-read 2 or 3 of them. It forever altered the way I looked at my friend. :001_unsure: I just couldn't understand the fascination and it left me slightly worried for her. Please tell me that not all of her books have to do with teens and incest, and it was just the few I happened to pick up? Maybe my memory is skewed, it's been awhile...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and the ever-popular Twilight by Stephenie Meyer was horribly boring, very poorly written, & glorified obsessive behavior & abuse, imo.

:iagree:

BTW, love the Brain Bleach :D :lol:.

Hated, hated, hated - yes, hated the book Eat, Pray, Love.

I tried, really tried this one and didn't like it either.

It failed my 10% Rule - if a book doesn't grab me within the first 10%, I stop. Life is too short to read books that are not engaging. :)

I couldn't stand Water For Elephants

I have been known to throw books away occasionally if they are just really bad, bit it's been a while since I've had to and I can't think of any titles off hand.

Me too. Hated it. I also throw books away at times. :lol:

Also, no one has mentioned Bridges of Madison County.

:iagree: Hated it with a passion.

But we love, love, love Roald Dahl. :)

1) If you hated Water for Elephants, why? I finished that recently. While I didn't love it, I thought it was okay.

2) What book is the OP talking about?

3) I can't believe no one mentioned Outlander yet. I plodded and plodded through that book because the reviews were SO amazing. Finally, halfway through, I couldn't take it anymore. I am absolutely amazed that so many people loved it.

4) What's wrong with Harriet the Spy? I know I really liked it when I was a kid.

I am prepared to be an outcast.

I loved the majority of the books in this thread. LOVED.

The Red Tent

The Kiterunner

The Book Thief

Unwind

The Handmaid's Tale

Water for Elephants (Which has my favorite ending of any book ever)

Outlander (My top favorite)

Life of Pi

Into the Wild (Although I agree with PP's take on his character, I don't have to like the person to like the book.)

The last time there was a thread like this I reserved a bunch of the books people hated and ended up loving them. I am not a fan of fluff or overly happy books, I like strange and dystopian.

I will agree about The Shack which is my #1 most hated book of all time.

Blindness by Jose Saramago. absolutely, positively the WORST thing i have ever read. it's an award-winning book and came highly recommended by a friend...it was so disgusting that it made me furious. literally, blood boiling angry. :cursing:

I absolutely thought Blindness was outstanding. It seriously is one of my top three favorites. I thought the concept of everyone going blind and the ramifications of that was so original and interesting. Then again, I thought The Road was an amazing book too. So as CA Mom said:

:001_huh: Really? Easily in the top 5 books I've ever read. I loved it so much.

It takes all types of readers to make the world go 'round.:)

:iagree: And I love that this forum is so diverse! :001_smile:

I am prepared to be an outcast.

I loved the majority of the books in this thread. LOVED.

The Red Tent

The Kiterunner

The Book Thief

Unwind

The Handmaid's Tale

Water for Elephants (Which has my favorite ending of any book ever)

Outlander (My top favorite)

Life of Pi

Into the Wild (Although I agree with PP's take on his character, I don't have to like the person to like the book.)

The last time there was a thread like this I reserved a bunch of the books people hated and ended up loving them. I am not a fan of fluff or overly happy books, I like strange and dystopian.

I will agree about The Shack which is my #1 most hated book of all time.

I *LOVED* the ending to Water For Elephants. The ending was *perfect*

I did think Life of Pi was *good* it just traumatized me. I am sure it is me not the book. :lol:

And I did not think Red Tent was *bad* it just made me depressed and cry.

Perhaps my imagination is overactive or something. :lol:

Edited by Sis

Blindness by Jose Saramago. absolutely, positively the WORST thing i have ever read. it's an award-winning book and came highly recommended by a friend...it was so disgusting that it made me furious. literally, blood boiling angry. :cursing:
I absolutely thought Blindness was outstanding. It seriously is one of my top three favorites. I thought the concept of everyone going blind and the ramifications of that was so original and interesting.

I love hearing the differing opinions on it. I recently read Jose Saramago for the first time ("All the Names"). I'd say it's the best book I've read so far this year. He is an incredible writer & I definitely plan to read more of his works. (I haven't read "Blindness" yet.)

The book in the op is A Game of Thrones.

I will say that I really want to read some of these books now to see why they're so bad. :lol:

Just don't read anything by the guy who wrote Fight Club. They are horrifying. And I wasn't phased by anything in half of these books (except, I agree that Life of Pi was a little traumatizing).

Just don't read anything by the guy who wrote Fight Club. They are horrifying. And I wasn't phased by anything in half of these books (except, I agree that Life of Pi was a little traumatizing).

His books would be great if they were censored and I don't think I have ever said anything so ghastly before.

:lol:

I think the same of Stephen King's newer stuff. He was better when he was starting out and had strict editors.

It is funny that I take a disapproving stance when people want to censor Mark Twain but I *DO* think they should censor Chuck Palahniuk. There are just some things you cannot unsee.

"Oh..this is a good book I am enjoying it."

"AAAHH!!! NNOOOOO!! WHY!!! WHY!! WHY!!" *cries in fetal position*

Reading Chuck Palahniuk is as if you are watching a Care Bear movie and two-girls-one-cup suddenly occurs in the middle. I read one and suddenly forgot all the other books that I thought were "filthy" before that.

Don't google the two girls thing, it involves poop.

Edited by Sis

As far as Jodi Picoult goes...

Personally, I didn't hate the ending of My Sister's Keeper.

The Surprise Twist ending of Handle With Care, on the other hand, felt rather gratuitous and nihilistic, and left a rather sour note on what was otherwise a somewhat interesting book from a medical/legal ethics perspective.

I loved Water for Elephants and The Book Thief too :D

Animal Farm is a favorite too, I laughed so much reading this!

Hated The Old Man and the Sea. . .if it hadn't belong to the library I would've thrown it out :lol:

Harriet the Spy. . .well, we only got so far. . .but she talked about poisoning people and cutting someone's throat if I'm remembering correctly. I didn't find it funny or appropriate for my 7 yo dd and I didn't care to hear it myself.

When I was in middle school one of my friends had an obsession with V.C. Andrews...had a shelf full of them. QUOTE]

I knew someone like this too. She lent me Flowers in the Attic, I thought it was pretty good, but I didn't get any further in the series.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Fight Club was pretty tame (and even had moments that made bile rise in my throat. But from the reviews I have read on his other books...people have had to leave readings to go throw up. Not at all something I am interested in reading!

When I was in middle school one of my friends had an obsession with V.C. Andrews...had a shelf full of them.

I knew someone like this too. She lent me Flowers in the Attic, I thought it was pretty good, but I didn't get any further in the series.

I knew a girl in 1st or 2nd grade who said she read Flowers in the Attic. Not sure I believe her, but that certainly falls in a category similar to the Twilight books for elementary age!

I read a lot of books...too many probably. Another thing I find interesting is how my own opinion can change about a book. I read the Outlander series (or what there was of them) in my early 20s and adored them. Later, I picked up a new-to-me book in the series and was baffled by the fact that I loved them so much previously. I couldn't make it through the first chapter.

I'm a forgiving reader. The worse thing I can say about the book is "I couldn't finish it" - which only ever happens if I find it exceptionally boring. Even if I find the book disturbing I have to finish reading it, mainly because I like to try and get inside the author's head and figure out how the plot plays out. I like to see if I'm right.

Game of Thrones didn't really bother me, but it is definitely one that I've mentally noted not to recommend to certain people just because of the content. I have a love-hate relationship with the whole series. Love the intricacy of the plot (I'm a huge sucker for long, twisted, involved plots - lol), not a huge fan of the actual writing. I'm mainly hanging on to see if it ends how I think it will.

I admit, I like Twilight (all of them, though the first three more than the last). I don't think they're particularly good books (writing, plot, or otherwise) but they're nice cotton candy for the brain. I do think they've been a bit of a negative impact on society, but that's because most teens will hold up the poor relationships as good role models more than anything else.

Edited by theAmbitiousHousewife

Hands down Carrie by Stephen King. I had to read it for a grad school class on popular literature. I didn't finish it (got to love wikipedia for when you actually have to discuss things...and no I don't tell my students that:tongue_smilie:). I just didn't like it. I thought it was stupid and unnecessary. Also King needs to do some wikipedia reading of his own regarding periods. Just sayin'

I didn't love The Kite Runner it left me pretty disturbed. I listened to it in audio and I think that made certain scenes stand out more. I would recommend it but I don't think I will be reading it again.

I did like The Handmaid's Tale but didn't love it.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Fight Club was pretty tame (and even had moments that made bile rise in my throat. But from the reviews I have read on his other books...people have had to leave readings to go throw up. Not at all something I am interested in reading!

I think the throw-up one was the one that was written in the weeks following his father's brutal murder.

I haven't read it but I have heard it was bad. (bad as in retch. I heard it was a good book that nearly made them retch)

Now I'm intrigued. I've never read Kite Runner but it's on my Netflix queue. The book I hated was A Game of Thrones by Martin. Please don't read if you have teenage daughters or are an abuse survivor. Or like dogs or wolves, for that matter.

Loathe his writing...RR in your name does not make one Tolkien.

Heh. It's been years, but I thought of The Bridges of Madison County as a female fantasy.

You're right. But it was written by a man, about cliche female fantasy, and appealed to a huge female audience. The writing was so bad, I was actually embarrassed.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Da Vinci Code.

You're right. But it was written by a man, about cliche female fantasy, and appealed to a huge female audience. The writing was so bad, I was actually embarrassed.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Da Vinci Code.

That's another on my "meh" list. It was kind of fun, but nothing earth-shattering, especially as I'd already heard the whole Merovingian theory before.

The sequel was similarly meh, and his book taking place in Antarctica is one where I couldn't convince myself I wanted to stick with it past the first chapter (notice how I can't remember the names of any of these books I don't finish?)

I can't believe no one mentioned Outlander yet. I plodded and plodded through that book because the reviews were SO amazing. Finally, halfway through, I couldn't take it anymore. I am absolutely amazed that so many people loved it.

:iagree:

Absolutely hated this. You stuck with it longer than I did. I gave up on it fast.

Hated, hated, hated - yes, hated the book Eat, Pray, Love.

Hated it.

Really.

It suprised me because I was the only one in my bookclub that had that reaction - but of course, I didn't let that stop me from airing my opinion.

:iagree: You have no idea how happy it made me to read your post and realize someone else loathed that book too! I couldn't get more than halfway through it, and I spent the whole first half disliking the narrator. Ugh.

I couldn't stand ... Water For Elephants,

I was really mad at this one - I read the sample chapters on my kindle & then downloaded it & wouldn't you know, the s*x stuff started in the very next chapter. It really bothered me, so I deleted the book from my kindle.

I felt like complaining to Amazon, but I didn't.

Emmanuel's Veins by Ted Dekker. I like his writing, but this book was just awful.

I have put several marriage and parenting books in the garbage. Couldn't bear the thought of donating them to the library and someone else reading them.

Edited by TechWife

I am not a fan of fluff or overly happy books, I like strange and dystopian.

Share your book list with me! I always look for books with an unusual premise. Two of my favorites are Gargoyle and Dogs of Babel, neither of which were exactly happy-happy.

I thought Blindness was really good, although disturbing.

I actually liked Handmaid's Tale (and all the other Atwood books I've read so far), Kite Runner, and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

I don't know of any book that I've read so far that I thought was too horrible to continue (for content reasons). Some books aren't written well, and I've quit reading them for that or because I didn't care about the characters, or the books got too repetitious (Ian McEwan's novels are all really similar to me, as are Diana Gabaldon's).

Some of the books you all have posted sound quite interesting, I'm going to try finding them.

Kate Chopin's The Awakening. Eww.

YES!!! Gosh, that was an awful little book.

I actually like the Martin series though. It's been ages since I read them. He's been slower than slow in putting out #5 and that is making me SO mad!!

Edited by Mommy22alyns

My sister assumed that I liked the book from this, and bought me the sequel for Christmas. :lol::001_huh: Haven't read it yet. Guess I should pass it along or throw it on PBS. It taunts me every time I go over to the shelf. :D

No. If you didn't LOVE Wicked - definitely skip Son of a Witch. :lol: It just gets... weird. lol

The musical most definitely is loosely based on the book. :lol: Thank goodness. Just can't imagine a Canon interpretation of the book-as-a-play. I keep wondering, if they ever make a movie - will it be based on the BOOK - or the PLAY? :mellow:

Edited by orangearrow

Loathe his writing...RR in your name does not make one Tolkien.

I love your avatar. :)

I used to live across the street from where he was shot (my grad school years).

His mother was Grenadian. But you probably know that already. :)

Oh, from your description I assumed the book in the first post was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Too much violent s*xual abuse and perversion. Why is it a best seller??

I know the OP has already answered, but this was my first thought too. I read this book expecting it to be really great, and it was just awful. The writing at the beginning of the book was decent, but it was very graphic, usually unnecessarily so. And then the ending did not do justice to the rest of the book. I hate when books draw you along with lots of details and twists and intrigue... and then boom! Quick and dirty resolution with few details and little satisfaction. And then the epilogue resolution just didn't seem to mesh with the rest of the book either. Blech.

When I was in middle school one of my friends had an obsession with V.C. Andrews...had a shelf full of them. One afternoon I speed-read 2 or 3 of them. It forever altered the way I looked at my friend. :001_unsure: I just couldn't understand the fascination and it left me slightly worried for her. Please tell me that not all of her books have to do with teens and incest, and it was just the few I happened to pick up? Maybe my memory is skewed, it's been awhile...

My grandma was obsessed with these and lent them to me to read! :svengo: As a teen I lapped them up, but now I am just appalled. What was she thinking?!

I also detested The Road. I kept reading and reading, expecting it to become more satisfying, or to even have some sort of purpose really, and it was just more of the same, on and on and on. I am sure it was part of the metaphor the author was trying to depict, but it was a book I only finished because I hate to leave books unfinished. No redeeming value for me. I am not opposed to dark books by any means. I actually love The Kite Runner. For me it paints such a poignant picture of the life these poor children live. I also love A Thousand Secret Suns.

I do not have a lot of books that I truly hate. But Forest Gump (can't remember if this was the name, but it was the book that the movie was based on) is an awful, poorly written, piece of junk. I remember wondering how in the world someone read the book and thought it would make a good movie. Fortunately, the movie has little in common with the book.

I've been known to buy used copies of certain parenting and pregnancy books and recycle them. Or to help new copies go missing in the stores. :lol:

Emmanuel's Veins by Ted Dekker. I like his writing, but this book was just awful.

I have put several marriage and parenting books in the garbage. Couldn't bear the thought of donating them to the library and someone else reading them.

OK, "Showdown" by Dekker scared the bejeepers out of me. I will never read Dekker again.

I just remembered that I did throw away that one book by the Pearls... can't remember the name... it was thin and white and a gift to me. Forgot about that one.

Share your book list with me! I always look for books with an unusual premise. Two of my favorites are Gargoyle and Dogs of Babel, neither of which were exactly happy-happy.

I thought Blindness was really good, although disturbing.

Gargoyle sounds interesting. I may have to check that one out.

Have you ever read Jonathan Carroll's books? They may appeal to you. I love Sleeping in Flame.

Why? Some "baby care" books contain dangerous advice that has been openly criticized by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

So? If you don't like a book, write a negative review about it, protest it, complain about it to everyone you meet, don't buy it yourself. If you own a bookstore, choose not to stock it.

But to go into somebody else's place of business and "lose" books because YOU don't agree with what is written in there is wrong on several levels.

So? If you don't like a book, write a negative review about it, protest it, complain about it to everyone you meet, don't buy it yourself. If you own a bookstore, choose not to stock it.

But to go into somebody else's place of business and "lose" books because YOU don't agree with what is written in there is wrong on several levels.

Ah, I mainly was reflecting upon the first part of the quote rather than the second. I don't hide books on witchcraft, astrology or bad baby advice in bookstores.

No, they pretty much all do. Or teens and rape or other horrific abuse, at the very least.

Flowers and maybe one or two others are the only ones actually written by V. C. Andrews, who died not too long after it was published. I think some of the others may have been written based on her notes, but a lot of them are completely ghostwritten. And all the ghostwritten ones go and take the most lurid elements of Flowers and expand on them.

I haven't read anywhere near all "her" books, so I can't say that they're all focused on incest, but it is a common theme.

Edited by ocelotmom

I watched the movie based on The Road. I think having my leg removed without anesthia would have been preferable.

Me, too. What a waste of my time

I really dislike certain cheap, sucker-punch type fiction like My Sister's Keeper--what a ridiculous way to get out of a writerly knot. Inscest theme books are always badly plotted and trite, with the horror of the events giving the book gravity it doesn't deserve.

I guess I can handle grim and disturbing fictional events if the writer earns them, and they matter in the story. Cheap, lazy writing disappoints every time (even though I know when I pick up a Jodi Picolt or most Oprah books that is what I am going to get.

This!! Bolding is mine. I can handle grim when it is part of a well-written story, not when it is sensationalized just for the shock factor and subsequent rising on the best sellers list. Edgy/disturbing does not equal well written/classic/worthy of acclaim and movie deal, IMO, but apparently I am in the minority!

I also am so tired of reading books, living with these disturbed characters for a period of time and then, Bam!, even the author gets tired of the story and either kills them off quickly or brings them to some sort of false "normalcy", so they can be done writing. So disappointing!