Menu

Year One of Telling God's Story readable for FREE

We know some of you have questions about the Telling God's Story curriculum published by Olive Branch Books, and we'd like to give you a chance to see the entire Instructor's Guide for Year 1. For a limited time, you can read the whole book for free on Scribd.

We always welcome reviews of our books, but a number of the reviews that have been posted online about this curriculum contain serious inaccuracies. Quotes have been taken out of context; incorrect assumptions have made about what's in (and not in) the book; and it has even been implied that the book contains pictures of the evolutionary process (none of our books have such illustrations).

We would prefer that parents read the curriculum themselves, rather than simply accepting and repeating what others say about it. But we know you're on a budget. So we'd like to give you a chance to read its first book for yourself.

This Instructor Text (Telling God's Story, Year One: Meeting Jesus) is the most central and important part of the Telling God's Story curriculum for Year One. Samples of the Activity Book that accompanies it can be seen at olivebranchbooks.net, peacehillpress.com and also on Scribd and GoogleBooks. The “how and why” book Telling God's Story: A Parent's Guide to Teaching the Bible (that’s the one with a tree on the cover, if you’re getting confused!) outlines a suggested sequence for teaching the Bible over all twelve years of education and explains why the curriculum begins with the Gospel. That book is helpful, but you don't absolutely need it in order to use the program.

We hope you enjoy the introduction to Jesus and His work.

Justin Moore

Editor, Olive Branch Books

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin, thank you. I just sat down and read the intro and first lesson. By the end of the first lesson, I realized I was smiling. I plan to read the rest of the book, but I believe I'm going to like this. I'm not home schooling for religious reasons, but, so far, this looks like something I could really see - and enjoy - using with my dd.

Justin, thank you. I just sat down and read the intro and first lesson. By the end of the first lesson, I realized I was smiling. I plan to read the rest of the book, but I believe I'm going to like this. I'm not home schooling for religious reasons, but, so far, this looks like something I could really see - and enjoy - using with my dd.

I agree (although I read a different lesson, not the first one).

Amazing. :)

Thank you so much. I was already planning on adding this to our schedule next year, but now, being able to see even more of the lessons, I'm even more excited.

It is my sincere hope that those who would form their opinions about this book based off of what is written in blogs will read through this book and form their own opinion before spreading rumors.

Guest Dulcimeramy

edited: I had a problem with reading this at scribd. Mozilla Firefox showed everything as gibberish. I just tried it with Google Chrome and it is perfectly readable.

Edited by Dulcimeramy

Guest followingHim

Admittedly, I am not very familiar with this curriculum but it seems the controversy has been more over the author's interpretation of the OT (for instance Adam and the fall.) In my opinion, this is not a very good choic of an example of the author's writings because the question is not about his belief in the bible's account of Jesus. If you want to give the readers an idea of his true beliefs, give away free his writings on the book of Genesis.

Admittedly, I am not very familiar with this curriculum but it seems the controversy has been more over the author's interpretation of the OT (for instance Adam and the fall.) In my opinion, this is not a very good choic of an example of the author's writings because the question is not about his belief in the bible's account of Jesus. If you want to give the readers an idea of his true beliefs, give away free his writings on the book of Genesis.

Hi FollowingHim: Good point. We already did that, starting a few months ago. If you go to http://olivebranchbooks.net/ct.html and (near the bottom) click on "Read an excerpt HERE" you'll go to a sample from the "how to" book. Included in that free PDF sample (pages 13-19 of the sample), is pretty much the whole chapter on Creation from that book.

I hope that's helpful!

Justin

I wanted to add, too, that just b/c some people may not like this curriculum, I am so so so glad there is something out there that does approach the Bible in a different way, and that not everyone wants a traditionally conservative curriculum. I hope for every person that decides this isn't for them, more people decide that it is, and you guys are able to continue publishing the curriculum. When I read one of the 'reviews', whether or not it was out of context, I found myself agreeing with every excerpt they pulled out, and completely disagreeing with the reviewer's pov. It seems really hard to find non-traditional Bible curriculum, so keep up the good work :001_smile:

I've spent this morning reading it and reading it to my mother - who LOVES it. (FTR my mother is very picky about Bible curriculum and teachings.)

Thank you for putting this out there. The answers to many questions are in this text - so far as it pertains to the questions about this curriculum and its author. We don't need a Bible curriculum at the moment but if I had young ones it would be on my shopping list.

This Instructor Text (Telling God's Story, Year One: Meeting Jesus) is the most central and important part of the Telling God's Story curriculum for Year One. Samples of the Activity Book that accompanies it can be seen at olivebranchbooks.net, peacehillpress.com and also on Scribd and GoogleBooks. The “how and why” book Telling God's Story: A Parent's Guide to Teaching the Bible (that’s the one with a tree on the cover, if you’re getting confused!) outlines a suggested sequence for teaching the Bible over all twelve years of education and explains why the curriculum begins with the Gospel. That book is helpful, but you don't absolutely need it in order to use the program.

We hope you enjoy the introduction to Jesus and His work.

Justin Moore

Editor, Olive Branch Books

The full text online is the text that the parent uses. Substantial samples of both the Activity Guide and the overall plan for all twelve years can be seen at peacehillpress.com, Scribd, and also through Google Books.

Is the PARENTS guide to Telling God's story available to read?

No, but there's an excerpt on the OBB site. I have the book and it is *awesome.* I think Peter Enns' approach to teaching the Bible to children makes a lot of sense. I appreciated the section where he compared his approach to the Bible Story, Character Study, and other typical approaches. And I absolutely love that it starts with Jesus.

The full text online is the text that the parent uses. Substantial samples of both the Activity Guide and the overall plan for all twelve years can be seen at peacehillpress.com, Scribd, and also through Google Books.

As far as I can tell, the only book available through the links you have posted is the instructors text & guide, not the parents guide... there are 3 books to the set, correct?

*Telling God’s Story, Year One: Instructor Text and Teaching Guide (online)

*Telling God’s Story, Year One Activity Book: Student Guide and Activity Pages

*Telling God’s Story: A Parents’ Guide to Teaching the Bible

:chillpill: :chillpill: :chillpill: :chillpill: :chillpill:

As far as I can tell, the only book available through the links you have posted is the instructors text & guide, not the parents guide... there are 3 books to the set, correct?

*Telling God’s Story, Year One: Instructor Text and Teaching Guide (online)

*Telling God’s Story, Year One Activity Book: Student Guide and Activity Pages

*Telling God’s Story: A Parents’ Guide to Teaching the Bible

From the OP (bolding mine):

This Instructor Text (Telling God's Story, Year One: Meeting Jesus) is the most central and important part of the Telling God's Story curriculum for Year One. Samples of the Activity Book that accompanies it can be seen at olivebranchbooks.net, peacehillpress.com and also on Scribd and GoogleBooks. The “how and why” book Telling God's Story: A Parent's Guide to Teaching the Bible (that’s the one with a tree on the cover, if you’re getting confused!) outlines a suggested sequence for teaching the Bible over all twelve years of education and explains why the curriculum begins with the Gospel. That book [the Parents' Guide] is helpful, but you don't absolutely need it in order to use the program.

The publisher is being very generous in making the TM available for viewing, and was under no obligation to you to do so. If you don't think the theology/views of the program and/or the author jives with yours, and this matters to you, you are in the position of the vast majority of the people of faith (and with none) on this board wrt at least some other programs. What's the big deal? You don't even have to research the issue; it's perfectly acceptable to decide its not worth your time and leave it at that... if it's really about the curriculum, that is.

nmoira

The bolding was just what happened when I copied the titles in from the PHP site.

I hope that wasn't what upset you. :)

I was in fact getting confused about the 3 different books with very similar titles, and did find the answer from the mod a tad confusing, so was just trying to restate and understand which of the three the online book is.

The answer from shinyhappypeople was more helpful, but I didn't see it before I posted.

That was a great proactive move.

If you would, could you please make sure that scribd isn't selling your book through a third party? They have a sneaky habit of doing that with their freebies.

And then once the free preview time is over, check and make sure they still aren't selling it.

Thank you! I love how transparent PHP and OBB is being with all of this mess. I might not agree with Dr. Enns theologically, but it does make me feel more as a sister in Christ to him, if that makes any sense. Thank you so much for what you're doing to restore unity.

wow! i haven't looked at this yet, so i don't know if it's something we can use or not, but i'm just so impressed with how open PHP and OB is being with letting us review the book before purchase! that is incredible and makes me definitely want to do business with them, if not with this book, with others!!!!

Hi FollowingHim: Good point. We already did that, starting a few months ago. If you go to http://olivebranchbooks.net/ct.html and (near the bottom) click on "Read an excerpt HERE" you'll go to a sample from the "how to" book. Included in that free PDF sample (pages 13-19 of the sample), is pretty much the whole chapter on Creation from that book.

I hope that's helpful!

Justin

Thank you for this too!

A couple of quick questions, not sure if they have been addressed already. First I wanted to ask when Year 2 is expected to come out and second if someone jumps into the series at Year 2 for example (if we decide to follow the 12 year program as it is coming out), would we be missing anything from the previous year(s)? My son will be in grade 2 next year and if Year 2 will be out by then I am interested. The curriculum seems to meet what I am looking for (and have been looking for for a long time).

Thank you in advance for any input :)

Hi 4evercanucks: First, we expect Year 2 to be released in Jan/Feb 2012. It's tough to predict printing timelines, that far away, but we are fairly confident we can do it. We MIGHT (perhaps) be able to sell PDF versions even earlier than that. We'll continue to post updates on facebook, twitter, etc.

Second: You could easily start in Year 2. You wouldn't miss too much. Let me know if you need more detail.

Thanks for your interest!

I already own and love all 3 books and hearing the inaccurate reviews was getting really tiresome and frustrating.

I'm so glad people will be able to *read for themselves* and see what a fabulous program it is!

:iagree::iagree::iagree: