Menu

At what age did your dd get ears pierced?

At what age did your dd get ears pierced???

I am from the school of thought of why rush into everything... She turns 9 in couple of weeks and I find myself lowering the age of ear piercing...to next year when she turns 10.

What have you all done?

Sheryl <><

We got our first daughter's ears pierced when she was 5. The only issue I had with doing it at that age is that she was really too young to care for her ears herself--that first six weeks where you have to clean and turn the posts every day was beyond her. We may wait a bit longer with dd#2--until she is able to do that part herself. I think by the time she is 8 or 9 she might be able to manage that by herself.

Jennifer

We never bothered to get DD's ears pierced. She is 17 with a summer birthday. The other day she asked if she could and I couldn't think of any reason why not ... we discussed maybe she should wait until she comes BACK from a big student trip out of the country for 2 weeks in late May .. but only so she wouldn't be bothered with the healing process while trying to enjoy her trip ... but I suspect piercings will be among her first tasks upon returning.

The only issue I had with doing it at that age is that she was really too young to care for her ears herself--that first six weeks where you have to clean and turn the posts every day was beyond her. We may wait a bit longer with dd#2--until she is able to do that part herself. I think by the time she is 8 or 9 she might be able to manage that by herself.

Jennifer

Yes, that is our requirement; the dc must be able to care for her ears herself. With older dd that was age 8. We're still waiting with younger dd.

4- and she was so brave. I told her it would hurt, and it would feel like a sharp pinch, and to be prepared. Two ladies came at her with two guns at the same time, and when she felt it she gasped, turned beet red, held her breath and frowned, then she said she wanted to see!

I don't think this would go as well if the child didn't really want it. My dd is very feminine and very much into observing anything beautiful - flowers, jewelry, etc. So she really wanted this.

My daughter Grace asked at 7, and little sister Lily said "me too, me too!"... so they got pierced at 7 and 4. Grace kept hers. Lily opted to let hers close. We've had no problems with Grace's ears, using highj quality earrings only, washing when we brush teeth twice a day.

When they got their first period, they could get them pierced. Then all their friends started getting their ears pierced and it was taking too long to start.

First dd made me a deal around the first day of 5th grade: "if I get all A's all year, can I get my ears pierced?" She was in a private school at the time. She had never gotten all A's for a full year yet, why now. It was the carrot to dangle. She got all A's for the whole year, the only one in her teacher's class. So she was 11 1/2.

Middle dd tried the same deal and got a B the first quarter. We came down to the final quarter of school if she got all A's, we'd get them pierced. Our last day was Friday. Friday night she got them pierced. She is a month past turning 11.

She is very responsible and could care for them herself, with just a tiny help from Mom.

I was going to wait until 10 but we were living overseas at the time, and didn't want to get them done overseas. So, we were in the States when she was 8 and got them done! :)

Right around her fifth birthday. Dd had been asking for a while, and it's just not something I've ever thought of as an age or right-of-passage thing, so I let her. I know earrings are a really big deal for some people, but I didn't see it that way (even though I was a teen when I had mine done).

She hasn't had any problems, but she chooses not to change her earrings ever, simply leaving her tiny pink CZs in.

Doodles just had hers pierced Christmas Eve..just turned 4.

Ear piercing is one of those things I'll judge on the individual child, their readiness. I wasn't going to suggest it myself. Let her ask. Then we would talk about it so I could get a feel for how much she really wanted this. If this was *real*. At one time I thought I would practice 'when she can tend to them herself', but, once I thought about it..I figured even 8 and 10 yr olds would need a bit of help, at least in the beginning. So, that one went out the window.

My 4 yr old asked, we talked, I didn't sugar coat anything, she wanted it, she was ready, done. I've really not found it to be a huge deal to have to care for them for her either. A quick swipe and a few turns. We don't change them often, simply because she needs some higher quality ones that she can leave in longer. The hypo-allergenic ones really can't be left in for more than a day. So, she wears those out when she wants then that evening we will change back into her piercing studs for a couple of days.

But, I'm rambling now....

DD was 6. I would have had them done at a younger age if she had wanted them. However, I am glad that she did not. Even at six, I had to make sure they were properly cared for during the first couple of months which was fine, dd was very cooperative and made sure I remembered! But I can see where it would have been difficult if she was younger.

I am from the school of thought of why rush into everything... She turns 9 in couple of weeks and I find myself lowering the age of ear piercing...to next year when she turns 10.

My dd was 10. My sisters, her Aunts had it done for her the weekend of my wedding.

I understand not wanting to "buy into" the seemingly accelerated maturity of kids today.

But I don't think ear piercing of girls is part of that at all. I think it's a harmless and safe and fun way to be a girl.

That said, the condition here was that she be able to take care of her hygiene completely; one reason I wouldn't pierce infant, toddler or young girl ears although I respect that is a cultural choice.

My first two daughters both asked around age 3 and we let them. My first dd cried briefly, my 2nd dd barely flinched. They both were so thrilled to see their ears. Though I did have to take care of them myself, we had no problems. My 3rd daughter is 7 and she has no interest at all in having her ears pierced, and I would never make her.

:)

At what age did your dd get ears pierced???

What have you all done?

Sheryl <><

I, too, am of the mindset, "Why rush?" We found the best time for us was at the end of 5th grade (older dd was turning 12, younger dd had just turned 11). This became the magic time for us because that was when they'd graduated from a 3 year discipleship program at our church that culminated with a formal ceremony (formal gown, crown, the works). An ear piercing timed just before meant they got to *really* celebrate with beautiful pearl studs to go with their gown.

I think age is a preference but someone has to clean the ears and watch out for infections. Young girls can often take care of them but need to be reminded! I can't remember how many infected ears I saw as a school nurse.

I'm in the minority. My hubby wanted my dd's ears pierced when she was 2 months old.. we argued for 5 months and then I gave in. She had her ears pierced at 7 months old.

I wish we had waited until she was 10 and did it for as a special mommy daughter day. *sniff* *sniff*

I always let my dh or my mil talk me into things... .the same thing happened with circing my boys. I didnt want it done and they talked me into it.

Sheryl, I'm from the same school.

In addition, we wouldn't dream of making such decisions based on "what all my friends are doing."

My dd got it done when she turned 13.

I am from the school of thought of why rush into everything... Sheryl <><

For my oldest girls, we thought it would be fun to mark double digits with ear piercing, not because we wanted a real rite of passage or any big deal....we just thought it sounded like a jolly way to create an occasion.

When my youngest dd was a toddler, I thought she would look so cute with her ears pierced. I was all ready to take her in. Nothing doing. My oldest girls stopped me short. "Oh no you don't! Wait for the double digits!" they twinkled at me!