Menu

Is it bad manners to not clean out an appliance you are giving away?

I would probably wipe up anything obvious, mostly so they weren't thinking "How gross!". Beyond that, I wouldn't worry about making it sparkling.

Good point. I can hand one of the kids a wet cloth. It shouldn't take long to do a quick wipe down.

IDK, I think free means they clean it!!

You clean if you sell it.

I agree mostly. I do like to clean items before they go to other people. Sometimes though there are too many things going on in a day/week/month. I just want the appliance out of here. :001_smile:

Just a general swipe should be good. I would say, as long as you warn the person first...I wouldn't worry about it.

I once sold an aquarium that you could barely see through the glass on due to coralline algae ( the hard as a rock algae that forms in a marine aquarium, not the soft-green-easy-to-scrape-kind). I sold it for 1/2 of its used value, but was honest that part of the discount was due the fact that I didn't want to clean it. LOL It was gone within 2 hours of my post on Craigslist, and the people scurried out of her with it like they had struck gold! LOL I knew what I was giving away, I just didn't want to deal with it.

Well, ask yourself how you would feel if you were given the appliance in the condition it's in now. Would you be insulted that it was filthy? What would you think of the people giving it away?

This is exactly what I was thinking. IMHO, the presentation matters a great deal! dirty = trash and clean = a blessing.

I'm happy to see the OP's update. :)

Update: I handed 13ds a soapy bucket & washrag. He did an incredible job. I wish I could sell it now, but I already gave my word. This kid is going to have fridge duty from now on. LOL

Awesome thing to find out about your kid!

I think it would depend on how dirty something really was. But as you did, a quick wipe down seemed to do the trick which is the least I would do.

Someone gave us a free pool cover once and didn't clean it. My dh opened it up and about 30 mice scattered. :eek:

Eek!

I've been given appliances before and I always expected that I would be the one cleaning them. I can't imagine thinking negatively about someone who gave me something I could use because they didn't also clean it.

I am giving away an appliance and don't have the time to clean it out. I'd like to get one of my kids to do it but there is no guarantee that will happen. Surely, giving away a free, working appliance is enough. What do you think?

I'd say clean it out. I don't care what it is. Granted the person receiving it should not look a gift horse in the mouth, but the giver should give from a heart of generosity.

Edited by Hedgehogs4

Awesome thing to find out about your kid!

I think it would depend on how dirty something really was. But as you did, a quick wipe down seemed to do the trick which is the least I would do.

posted before I saw the rest of the thread...GOOD GOING SON! send him over here...i'll pay him to clean mine.

I'd say yes...it is bad manners not to clean it out. I don't care what it is. Granted the person receiving it should not look a gift horse in the mouth, but the giver should give from a heart of generosity, not convenience.

:iagree: If you were selling it you would clean it up. If you think about it, on one hand if you were to make money off of it you would have it cleaned up and looking spiffy on the other hand you want to give a dirty appliance to someone else that you didn't have time to clean, and they should just be happy with it, because after all you are giving it to them for free.

A long time ago when we were overseas on missions, we were taught by a veteran missionary the "giving" rule: if you want to give a gift, make it your best offer. No cast offs, books in disrepair, clothing in tatters, mold, rusted tools, etc. We'd usually would get items in horrible condition from churches in the states. Which was a humbling experience if one was in an isolated region with no stores for miles like back in the 80's and 90's for us.

Based on that experience, the recipient (usually from a first impression) will appreciate a gift (used) if it is in good condition. With that life lesson drilled into my head from my old friend... I would have cleaned the fridge out spotless before giving it away. I'm happy to hear the OP's 13 yo did a great job!! Problem solved!