Menu

I really enjoyed the film Temple Grandin

I have it sitting by my TV right now, I just need a free time to watch it. LOL (for anyone with netflix waiting for it......:001_tt2: )

Me too...its been sitting on my dvd player for a week....can't wait to watch it, especially after even more good reviews. :)

Me too...its been sitting on my dvd player for a week....can't wait to watch it, especially after even more good reviews. :)

I had it out from the library for three weeks, but my SIL mentioned it this past weekend, so I decided it would be my next movie to watch while on my treadmill. It got me to walk for the whole movie in two walking segments yesterday. LOL

I'm currently watching First Wives Club -- different but funny.

We loved it here too. We rented it at RedBox. It had been recommended to us for a while and I always hesitated to see it. I had only heard of her but never knew what she was like. Since we have a HFA son, he behaves differently than a classic autistic person. I really thought they were going to portray another Rain Man type of autistic, or someone with more classic features, all in all just someone we could not relate to.

Wow, what a persepective I got, and how wrong I was. She is so much like my son. My husband was really moved as well.

*****Warning: May be a bit of a spoiler!******

OK, my favorite scene was when she took the paperwork back to the university after she'd gotten her work signed-off. The advisor (or whomever) said it smelled like the whole herd signed it and she immediately got a mental picture of cattle signing the paper and said, "Cows can't do that." I laughed and laughed because A) I'd have conjured the same mental picture and B) I often miss sarcasm when it comes from people I don't know well. DD's and my favorite saying now is, "Cows can't do that!" :lol:

Although I know my son was born autistic... although I know he was diagnosed with aspergers at age 7 (his position on the spectrum shifts from time to time... depending on stress in the home, etc.),... it took watching this movie to really help me understand my son. He does not like to be touched or held. As a mom, I WANT to hug him and hold him. And sometimes I feel shut out because he does not want to be held. This movie really helped me. I look forward to sharing it with my son someday.

OK, my favorite scene was when she took the paperwork back to the university after she'd gotten her work signed-off. The advisor (or whomever) said it smelled like the whole herd signed it and she immediately got a mental picture of cattle signing the paper and said, "Cows can't do that."

Absolutely my favorite part too!! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Would this movie be appropriate to watch with my 9 1/2 year old daughter?

Thanks!

Lisa

Yes, unless she is sensitive to the fact that beef comes from cows. There are no slaughterings, but a slaughtering house is visited.

My 9 and 11 year old boys watched this when my husband did. Ben asked if there were any more movies about different people. :001_wub:

Yes, unless she is sensitive to the fact that beef comes from cows. There are no slaughterings, but a slaughtering house is visited.

My 9 and 11 year old boys watched this when my husband did. Ben asked if there were any more movies about different people. :001_wub:

Thanks!

Lisa

Would this movie be appropriate to watch with my 9 1/2 year old daughter?

Thanks!

Lisa

The only two things that were near the edge were her doctor making a brief (and easily missed) reference to her "squeeze machine" possibly being a sexual turn on (it wasn't), and when a bunch of cowboys covered her truck's window in cow testicles because they didn't want a woman there. This could also easily be missed that it was actually testicles, and not just gross cow parts (like intestines maybe...). I had no problem watching it with my children and we're very, very picky, as in we can't find hardly any movies that we feel are appropriate. Aargh.

I was glad that the doctor asked her if she experienced "relief" -- did he actually use the word "sexual?"

Either way, it went over my boys' heads. :lol:

The only two things that were near the edge were her doctor making a brief (and easily missed) reference to her "squeeze machine" possibly being a sexual turn on (it wasn't), and when a bunch of cowboys covered her truck's window in cow testicles because they didn't want a woman there. This could also easily be missed that it was actually testicles, and not just gross cow parts (like intestines maybe...). I had no problem watching it with my children and we're very, very picky, as in we can't find hardly any movies that we feel are appropriate. Aargh.

I was glad that the doctor asked her if she experienced "relief" -- did he actually use the word "sexual?"

Either way, it went over my boys' heads. :lol:

The dr didn't.

When the aunt returned her the next year, she mentioned that it wasn't sexual.

I don't think many kids would get it from the scene with the dr. Expecially with the visual explanation they showed from her point of view.