Menu

Should I put my DS in KOREAN lessons?

It's really just been in the last year or so that my ds (adopted from Korea) has really started to grasp the idea that he IS korean. Part of that is due to him getting a little older and starting to under stand ethnic differences. The other part is due to us moving here and him going to school with many koreans.

His best friend for the last almost 2 years now is Korean (real Korean...like moved here from Korea...korean is his first language, etc). My ds is now fascinated with ALL things Korea. :D From kimchi to the flag to the language. Because there are SO many koreans living here, there are classes for them to keep up with their language even while they learn english (and malay and mandarin).

His best friend attends one of these classes on saturday mornings so I am wondering if it would make any sense to put our ds in a class like that so he can learn korean.

We are very lucky with our daughter because our nanny speaks tamil which is our daughters "native" language. At this point, she can understand both english and tamil but the few words she can speak are tamil. I wish we had something like this for our son.

He sees his BFF at school mainly and students are only allowed to speak english on campus so they can't really practice there.

OK, well my question is: Is putting him in these classes a good idea? Or is 7yo too late to learn such a complicated language?

I would. If he expresses an interest, send him to lessons. As a bonus, he has someone he can practice with. :)

My best friend's youngest is Korean. When she's a bit older, she's going to have her learn Korean. Both my friend and her DH can speak a few Korean words and they try to incorporate them.

I think it's a great idea and that it would be wonderful for your ds. The fact that you have these resources available is fantastic!

7 yrs old is certainly not too late and I don't think that it is a complicated language. It is part of who he is and if he has the desire to learn more about his roots it should definitely be encouraged.

Let him :) You brought him home as a baby, right? So, understandable that he wasn't able to have Korean as his first language, but I always think that for children whose heritage is pretty much straight from another country... dual makes perfect sense :) At 7 he should be able to pick it up... hopefully!! If not, at least you let him give it a go :)

:)

I think it's a great idea and that it would be wonderful for your ds. The fact that you have these resources available is fantastic!

7 yrs old is certainly not too late and I don't think that it is a complicated language. It is part of who he is and if he has the desire to learn more about his roots it should definitely be encouraged.

:iagree:

If he wants to go, sure. It's a myth that adults cannot learn a foreign language, so I certainly wouldn't worry about him being 7. That idea started in the 1960s, and there have been tremendous gains in what we know about brain development since then.

The biggest issue in regards to age of the learner is pronunciation; if the learner is attempting a language that has a sound not heard in their native language, it can be difficult or impossible for them to acquire that specific sound. They can still achieve fluency; they will just have an accent and never be mistaken for a native speaker.

I would definitely put him in Korean lessons, 7 is not too late at all, but not necessarily in the same Korean lessons his friends are. The reason I say this is, I presume those lessons are for children who are already fluent in Korean, i.e., who use that language to communicate within their families. I would have the goal for my adopted child to join those lessons at some point but not before he had a solid foundation.

I have said this story before, but my oldest has a friend who floundered in Mandarin lessons despite both her parents being ethnic Chinese. The father is from Taiwan and communicates in Mandarin with his own parents and other local relatives, the mother is from Hong Kong, a Cantonese speaker, but also communicates in Mandarin with her in laws. However, English was their main family language of communication and the Mandarin exposure their daughter had was not enough of a solid foundation for her to thrive in Saturday Chinese school. Now she is 14, and to this day she still remembers how her classmates would make fun of her poor Mandarin language skills. With hindsight, it would have been a better idea for her to approach learning Mandarin as a foreign language rather than joining in Saturday Chinese school with kids who were immersed in the language at home.

and to this day she still remembers how her classmates would make fun of her poor Mandarin language skills. With hindsight, it would have been a better idea for her to approach learning Mandarin as a foreign language rather than joining in Saturday Chinese school with kids who were immersed in the language at home.

"Classmate" is not a synonym for "friend" and if Heather's boy comes home upset because teasing has crossed the line from friends teasing into nastiness, Heather will go and have words with the teacher. I'll bet the class will inspire the lad to work hard on his homework.

Rosie

"Classmate" is not a synonym for "friend" and if Heather's boy comes home upset because teasing has crossed the line from friends teasing into nastiness, Heather will go and have words with the teacher. I'll bet the class will inspire the lad to work hard on his homework.

Rosie

Obviously, that is a problem that should have been addressed, but the fact remains that the class was not a good match for this child because she didn't have the language skills required to succeed in this kind of class.

I am a native Spanish speaker and we have followed the OPOL approach with our children. I have got together with a couple of other families in the same situation and have created a weekly study/play group. We have been approached by other native or heritage Spanish speakers to have their children join our group and we have had to say sorry but no. Why? Simply because we didn't think their children would be able to succeed in our group the way it is set up at the moment and we have no intention of changing it in order to accomodate children who are right now lacking in their Spanish language skills. By all means, we encourage them to put their children in Spanish lessons, but to try to put kids who cannot follow normal Spanish conversations, readings and instruction in our group would not benefit anyone. It's just a matter of being a good fit for the level of instruction, nothing more.

I grew up in Korea (my parents were missionaries) and I have a little sister that is Korean. She chose as a young girl not to learn the language, even though both my parents are fluent. We learned later that in her young mind she thought she had to choose one or the other. I think she's always regreted it. I would say definately let him do it!!! It is an extremely complicated language ( I studied it, too) but for a 7 year old, I think he'll be able to pick it up. It will be a lot of fun for him if he is interested. Good luck!

Obviously, that is a problem that should have been addressed, but the fact remains that the class was not a good match for this child because she didn't have the language skills required to succeed in this kind of class.

There's also a difference between a child wanting to attend a class, and a child being forced to.

I am a native Spanish speaker and we have followed the OPOL approach with our children. I have got together with a couple of other families in the same situation and have created a weekly study/play group. We have been approached by other native or heritage Spanish speakers to have their children join our group and we have had to say sorry but no. Why? Simply because we didn't think their children would be able to succeed in our group the way it is set up at the moment and we have no intention of changing it in order to accommodate children who are right now lacking in their Spanish language skills. By all means, we encourage them to put their children in Spanish lessons, but to try to put kids who cannot follow normal Spanish conversations, readings and instruction in our group would not benefit anyone. It's just a matter of being a good fit for the level of instruction, nothing more.
I understand. Perhaps the teacher will be fine with him sitting and observing. It some teaching situations, the level of prior knowledge is less important than whether the student has enough manners to sit and watch politely instead of playing up and expecting the class to revolve around them. Hopefully the teacher will be able to provide some pre-class notes so the boy can learn important keywords before the class, or other such strategies or will be honest and say no and suggest home study materials if his presence would be disruptive.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

There's also a difference between a child wanting to attend a class, and a child being forced to.

Rosie

I don't think my daughter's friend was ever forced to attend. As far as I am aware she wanted to learn the language but just found it too hard to succeed in that particular setting and lost motivation. Isn't this what happens to many students in public school and why many are homeschooling?

I understand. Perhaps the teacher will be fine with him sitting and observing. It some teaching situations, the level of prior knowledge is less important than whether the student has enough manners to sit and watch politely instead of playing up and expecting the class to revolve around them. Hopefully the teacher will be able to provide some pre-class notes so the boy can learn important keywords before the class, or other such strategies or will be honest and say no and suggest home study materials if his presence would be disruptive.

Possibly, I am not sure. If it is a class designed for Korean speakers, and this is the only Korean time for a student, I honestly don't think it matters how polite and motivated a child is. If the level is too high, he or she is not going to keep up, with or without pre-class notes, so a different setting might be the way to go.

But again, I say an unequivocal YES to Korean lessons for the OP's child, as long they are a good fit level wise.

Possibly, I am not sure. If it is a class designed for Korean speakers, and this is the only Korean time for a student, I honestly don't think it matters how polite and motivated a child is. If the level is too high, he or she is not going to keep up, with or without pre-class notes, so a different setting might be the way to go.

But again, I say an unequivocal YES to Korean lessons for the OP's child, as long they are a good fit level wise.

My brother and I took Korean classes ("Saturday" classes) around age 9/10 ... then again at university ... Both times it was the same: as soon as the kids whose parents spoke Korean to them at home had mastered the alphabet, they were off like a shot. Their active Korean was weak or nonexistent at first, but they had a passive understanding we didn't have. We felt left in the dust. The class moved on to grammar, finer points, idiomatic expressions, etc. If your son is motivated (it sounds like he is) and if there is some elementary instruction for kids who don't hear it at home, that would really help. Perhaps a "tutor" like your nanny who could work with your son in addition? I would find out if the classes cater at all to kids who *don't* hear Korean at home. Oh, and your son being only 7 might help him pick it up faster. I hope so, and I agree it's definitely worth a shot! Best wishes!

~Laura

My brother and I took Korean classes ("Saturday" classes) around age 9/10 ... then again at university ... Both times it was the same: as soon as the kids whose parents spoke Korean to them at home had mastered the alphabet, they were off like a shot. Their active Korean was weak or nonexistent at first, but they had a passive understanding we didn't have. We felt left in the dust. The class moved on to grammar, finer points, idiomatic expressions, etc. If your son is motivated (it sounds like he is) and if there is some elementary instruction for kids who don't hear it at home, that would really help. Perhaps a "tutor" like your nanny who could work with your son in addition? I would find out if the classes cater at all to kids who *don't* hear Korean at home. Oh, and your son being only 7 might help him pick it up faster. I hope so, and I agree it's definitely worth a shot! Best wishes!

~Laura

:iagree:Some Indian friends of mine have been encouraging me to send my kids to Saturday Tamil classes with their own children because my dh is a native Tamil speaker. However dh decided early on not to pass the language on and he has never used Tamil with them, except for a few terms of endearment and some food terms. I have politely said no because these are classes for kids whose parents use Tamil at home, even if it is mixed somewhat with English, and our children would be unable to keep up and left discouraged in that setting. People tend to underestimate the foundational language work done when parents interact with their children in their native tongue on a regular basis, so they say "oh, my children don't respond to us in Tamil so your kids will be fine", when in fact my children would be behind theirs hours and hours in language training.

It sounds like a wonderful opportunity for your son, especially while he has a Korean friend to encourage him!

ETA: I believe teaching language early helps to "demystify" it - even if he loses interest, and doesn't get past the basics, the fact that the option is there and that he can do it if he wants to, is a gift in itself.

Edited by nd293

Did some investigating and it seems all the kids in the class are native korean speakers and their parents have them in the class so they can learn to read and write it (and continue speaking it). So now I think it is too advanced for my ds. He is so bummed. I think right now I am going to see about just having them play together on the weekends and practice together. Meanwhile, still looking... a tutor maybe?

Did some investigating and it seems all the kids in the class are native korean speakers and their parents have them in the class so they can learn to read and write it (and continue speaking it). So now I think it is too advanced for my ds. He is so bummed. I think right now I am going to see about just having them play together on the weekends and practice together. Meanwhile, still looking... a tutor maybe?

Playdates and having the goal of learning at least a new simple phrase and reviewing old ones every time would be good. A tutor would be wonderful to speed things up, maybe one of the moms in the Korean group would be interested? Good luck, I am sure things will work out!

My youngest daughter (5) was adopted from S. Korea too. Our agency sends out information about the Korean School near us that sounds just like the opportunity your son has. I would be careful to consider the social attitudes of the immigrant parents and immigrant teachers and the First Generation American attitudes of the children, parents, and staff participating.

I assume your adoption agency filled you in on the attitude toward adoptees and illegitimate children in S. Korea. I listened to adult adoptees and staff members talk about the serious social stigmas among immigrants, their children, and those abroad. I would be prepared to deal with any negative attitudes my child might get in that environment. Can you ask other adoptive families who have participated? What kinds of issues (if any) did they have to deal with? Were their children mentally and emotionally mature enough to handle any tough situations?

Rosetta Stone is another option if things don't work out.

We also have a Chinese school nearby for the children of immigrants and some adoptees in Caucasian families participate. I have heard there can be issues in Chinese culture as well.

Russian culture is flat out hostile to adoptees. I was screamed at in public by a formerly friendly Russian immigrant neighbor when we told her we were considering adopting. She never spoke to again and will not acknowledge my presence when I wave to her at the grocery store.

All cultures are different-sometimes shockingly different.

My youngest daughter (5) was adopted from S. Korea too. Our agency sends out information about the Korean School near us that sounds just like the opportunity your son has. I would be careful to consider the social attitudes of the immigrant parents and immigrant teachers and the First Generation American attitudes of the children, parents, and staff participating.

I assume your adoption agency filled you in on the attitude toward adoptees and illegitimate children in S. Korea. I listened to adult adoptees and staff members talk about the serious social stigmas among immigrants, their children, and those abroad. I would be prepared to deal with any negative attitudes my child might get in that environment. Can you ask other adoptive families who have participated? What kinds of issues (if any) did they have to deal with? Were their children mentally and emotionally mature enough to handle any tough situations?

Rosetta Stone is another option if things don't work out.

We also have a Chinese school nearby for the children of immigrants and some adoptees in Caucasian families participate. I have heard there can be issues in Chinese culture as well.

Russian culture is flat out hostile to adoptees. I was screamed at in public by a formerly friendly Russian immigrant neighbor when we told her we were considering adopting. She never spoke to again and will not acknowledge my presence when I wave to her at the grocery store.

All cultures are different-sometimes shockingly different.

This is interesting. I will have to check it out. The Rosetta Stone option might be a good way to start too.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe this was just her and not all of Russian culture?

Dh works in a human services organization that has a department devoted to adoption. There are also a LOT of Russians working in this organization. I have never encountered this attitude among his co-workers or our Russian family members.