Menu

What is your favorite mystery books?

I've enjoyed:

Tony Hillerman -- mysteries that take place on the Navajo Reservation featuring Sergeant Jim Chee.

Sue Grafton -- how can you go wrong?

Dorothy Sayers books featuring Lord Peter. LOVE them!

Elizabeth George books -- the more recent ones have gotten a bit more graphic and gritty, but I like them.

Laurie R. King books featuring Sherlock Holmes -- really!

Agatha Christie

These aren't hard core mysteries, but are wonderful reads --

The No1 Ladies Detective Agency books by Alexander McCall Smith

Happy reading!!

I've enjoyed:

Tony Hillerman -- mysteries that take place on the Navajo Reservation featuring Sergeant Jim Chee.

Sue Grafton -- how can you go wrong?

Dorothy Sayers books featuring Lord Peter. LOVE them!

Elizabeth George books -- the more recent ones have gotten a bit more graphic and gritty, but I like them.

Laurie R. King books featuring Sherlock Holmes -- really!

Agatha Christie

These aren't hard core mysteries, but are wonderful reads --

The No1 Ladies Detective Agency books by Alexander McCall Smith

Happy reading!!

I agree with all of the above...Love Love Love these books. I would also add Dick Francis and Anne Perry to that list.

Diane

I like everything suggested so far! I reading mysteries while we're at the beach. Some fun ones (ok, a little gruesome sometimes) are Patricia Cornwell's "Kay Scarpetta" books and David (?) Kellerman's Alex Delaware series.

I've also enjoyed Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine's books. (She writes under both names.)

I like:

Elizabeth Peters' "Amelia Peabody" series (1st book: Crocodile on the Sandbank),

Laurie King's "Mary Russell" series (1st book: The Beekeeper's Apprentice),

Margaret Frazer's "Dame Frevisse Medieval Mystery" series (1st book: The Novice's Tale),

Max Allen Collins "Disaster" series (The Titanic Murders, The Hindenburg Murders, The Pearl Harbor Murders, The Lusitania Murders, The London Blitz Murders (my favorite), and The War of the World Murders),

Ruth Rendell's "Inspector Wexford" series (1st book: From Doon with Death (these don't *have* to be read in order)),

Carol O'Connell's "Kathy Mallory" series (1st book: Mallory's Oracle),

Alexander McCall Smith's "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" series (1st book: The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency)

These are my tried and true favorites along with Agatha Christie! (My favorite of hers are The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and And Then There Were None)

I can't vouch for these 2 because I have not tried them yet, but they look good. :)

Anne Perry's "William Monk" series (among others she has written; 1st in this series: The Face of a Stranger),

Jacqueline Winspear's "Maisie Dobbs" series (1st book: Maisie Dobbs)

Forgot to mention these:

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

The Savage Garden by Mark Mills

The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman

Possession by A.S. Byatt

Julia Spencer Fleming's "Clare Fergusson" series (1st book: In the Bleak Midwinter)

Harlen Coben's stand-alone suspense novels are good. I enjoyed The Innocent, Gone for Good and Just One Look

If you like forensic suspense/mystery, the "Jane Rizzoli" series by Tess Gerritsen (whose medical mysteries I really like) is good, but can be graphic because there is a serial killer (1st book: The Surgeon)

Another series I really love is the "Agent Pendergast" series by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child (1st books: Relic, which is a bit gory, but if you continue to the next books it just gets better and leaves that behind. You could start with Cabinet of Curiosities.)

Other medical mystery authors: Robin Cook's earlier stuff, Michael Palmer, Stephen White

Hard-boiled/detective type authors: Ridley Pearson's "Lou Boldt" series, Michael Connelly's "Harry Bosch" series, and Lee Child's "Jack Reacher" series

As you can tell, this is my genre. LOL!!! Not all of them are cozy, Agatha Christie type mysteries, of course--I included a wide selection!. LOL :D

..by Jacqueline Winspear. That is the title of the first book and the protagonist, there are 3 or 4 more in the series. A single woman making her way as an investigator in post-WWI England. Fascinating history behind the story, interesting characters, relatively rich writing.

I also like the #1 Ladies Detective Agency books, the Mrs. Pollifax books, and Brother Cadfael, and recently have been re-reading Agatha Christie. Hmm..also, a series with an archeological/antiquities twist by Hamilton (e.g., Estruscan Chimera).

I used to read tons of mystery series but got burned out on a lot of the more recent ones that were either too simplistic (in writing or story) or had a single, cynical woman as protagonist.

Hope that gives you a couple fo ideas!

I really enjoy Patricia Wentworth and Elizabeth Peters. Patricia Wentworth wrote in the 30's -50's in the classic whodunit style. I'm kind of a wimp about what I read; I don't care for graphic at all--makes me feel slimy. :D

Elizabeth Peters wrote about a Victorian era family of archeologists. More great light-hearted fluff.

You might want to give Wilkie Collins a try, if you haven't already. The first time I read The Woman In White, I was completely taken over by the novel! The Moonstone was great, too.

I've been on a Tom Clancy and Robert Ludlum kick currently--how do you feel about suspense?

I'm not a big mystery fan, but I do like Cadfael and M.M. Kaye's Death in [insert place name] books.

..any suggestions?

Brother Cadfael -- lots of historical flavor

Tony Hillerman -- you'll learn about Navajo culture and religion

Both are done respectfully and accurately, so far as I can determine. I also have listened to Tony Hillerman read his own books on tape -- very interesting, as Hillerman has an unusual voice and it really fits with the text he writes!

Thanks to all the posters on this thread -- you've given me some suggestions I never heard of and will have to check out :)

Karen

The Sister Fidelma series by Peter Tremayne is super -- the author is an expert in Irish history of that time period.

I read the one where Sister Fidelma was in Rome solving a mystery, Shroud for the Archbishop, and I felt like I had an incredibly entertaining lesson in history and Latin.

I like:

Susan Wittig Albert (herb shop owner in Texas foothills)

M C Beaton (both the Hamish MacBeth (highland Scotland)and the Agatha Raisin (Cotswold)series)

Ruth Rendell

Rhys Bowen (Evan Evans, a policeman in Wales)

Alexander McCall Smith

Sue Grafton

Diane Mott Davidson

Carl Hiaasen

Older ones I like are Raymond Chandler, Agatha Christie, Kemelman (Sunday, the Rabbi ...),

I like Ian Rankin's suspense novels, and a good portion of his Inspector Rebus mysteries. Minette Walters writes gripping suspense, but the "yuck" factor gets to me after awhile. Oh, in the spy genre, John Le Carre is supreme: some of my favorites are the Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy trilogy, and the Little Drummer Girl.

Reading mysteries/suspense is how Cindy stays sane. ;)

Late to the bandwagon here but my 2 favorite authors are:

Anne Perry - She has 2 different series - one featuring William Monk and one featuring Charlotte and Thomas Pitt. They are set in Victorian England.

Martha Grimes - Richard Jury series. Each book in the 17 book series is set named after a pub located near the murder site.