Menu

Amazon... when to buy new or used?

Aloha2U

If you can't find a book you want/need being sold by a fellow homeschooler, how do you decide whether to purchase it new (from Amazon, since it usually has the lowest prices) or take the chance in picking one from a used book seller on Amazon? I'm sure I could save money by doing the latter, but there's just no way of knowing what you're getting until it's in your hands. You could possibly find a great a bargain... or otherwise (IYKWIM).

How do you decide whether to buy used or new?

I have bought many many times used on Amazon, and have had great luck buying there. As long as you look at the comments under the listing and make sure there is nothing disclosed that you can't live with (missing dust jacket, turned corners, underlining, etc). I try to buy from high volume sellers, because they don't want to mess you over and lose their good reputation on Amazon. But even from the small sellers (like me), I've had no issues at all. And even if you do have a problem, Amazon is very quick to resolve it in favor of the buyer. If you have Amazon Prime, it can be even easier to buy used, because some sellers ship their inventory to Amazon, and then it can ship free to the buyer and in two days. Love it!

So for me, pretty much if it is a book I am willing to buy used anyway, from a curriculum sell or a homeschooler, then I will buy it used on Amazon. I pretty much only buy new for gifts or if the used books are nearly as expensive as the new.

Most of the buying I do from Amazon is for:

• UK editions - these are Marketplace transactions

• hardcovers of relatively recent books when the get down to $4-$5 including shipping; we purchase a lot of off-the-beaten trail titles this way, and the quality is usually good

• 4-for-3 deals with new paperbacks

• OOP books (I find the best deals on Amazon through AddAll rather than searching Amazon itself)

Otherwise we purchase from Powell's.

I buy used as soon as the savings are significant. Which is most of the time.

I have had mostly good experiences. Occasionally a book is not in the condition described - then you simply contact the seller. They often take it back. One book was missing a few pages, the seller refunded me the price and did not require me to send the book back.

I will pretty much only buy used if the savings are significant (like 50% less than new) and if the seller's description includes a blood oath that the item is in "brand new" condition, has no marks of any kind, preferably sealed, etc. That rarely happens. In real life I don't need my books to be new, but I've ordered used on Amazon and have things arrive in way worse condition than how they were listed. I'm too impatient to ship it back and order a new one if it comes marked or damaged. Also, I can almost always spend $25+ and get free shipping.

I have bought used off of Amazon. I try to make sure it is the best deal and in a condition that I am satisfied with. Half.com you can order multiple books from a seller and save a little a shipping. abebooks.com also has used books (and new) and the shipping rates are usually better than Amazon (have a lot of the same sellers). I have been satisfied thus far, but I make sure that I buy very good condition books because I don't want writing or highlighting in them. Amazon Prime has come in handy when there is a used book that Amazon fills the shipment (then you don't have to pay shipping). It will be a sad day I think when my Prime membership expires (I got it for free, so I really can't complain).

First, I've been disappointed once with the used books on Amazon (and I've bought a lot) - I believe that book was damaged by condensation, possibly in transit. Here are my guidelines:

#1 - Overall price - a lot of books are cheaper or nearly identical NEW than used after shipping so why bother?

#2 - Condition - I don't like markings in my books, so I stay with "very good" or better unless the note says the text is clean. I read the notes carefully. If none of the used ones are suitable, I buy new or wait. Some books I am pickier. For example, I bought "Our Mother Tongue" new, because none of the used copies said the inside was void of written in answers...

#3 - Availability - Some books are only available used. I decide if the book in that condition is worth the price to me.

#4 - Shipping time - Since we have Amazon Prime ATM, I start there. Next I'll look for the closest book meeting my standards, usually Washington/Oregon or similar.

#5 - Sometimes there are few options on OOP books. Then it just comes down to how bad you want it, when you want it, and if the price is the best bargain you're likely to get.

I've sold books on Amazon too. It's fairly painless, even though you make less after Amazon takes its cut.

:iagree: with a lot.

To me, the book isn't going to be in "new" condition shortly after arriving here. We are tough on books, party because of the massive # of little fingers and party because we like our books & they get a lot of use.

I generally look to see if the used price is low compared to new, then I search for "free shipping" options. If I can get it in "Very Good" condition or better for significantly less than New, I will most likely go for it.

I've bought used books on Amazon, but I normally go with other used book options, like Better World Books, Thrift Books, Abe Books, etc.

I read the notes carefully, and am often surprised to get books in even better condition than I expected. I got some ex-library copies of Betsy Maestro's American history titles in fantastic condition recently.

I don't think I've ever been disappointed. I generally buy used only when the cost of the used book is at least 50% off (including shipping) the cheapest new price.

I buy anything used where there's a price break to be worth it, which often there is. I only buy books marked Very Good or better, and I never buy if the reviews are less than about 96% positive. (I've gotten burnt by people who were lower. I prefer 97% and up.) I buy hundreds of books that way a year, almost always a positive experience. Read the description very carefully and assume nothing. Also cross with Alibris.com to see if the book would be cheaper there. You can get a $1 coupon for Alibris by googling, so it's always worth checking. However I love the convenience of the amazon one-click buying. I never fiddle with other used places anymore, because I had times like with Abebooks where the vendor came back saying the book was no longer available, meaning I had wasted my time waiting.

Just try it and see. I blow way too much money on the amazon marketplace, so I must be a fan. :)

I often buy used from Amazon. I prefer "fulfillment by Amazon" for the free shipping. If I can get the book used for 1/2 the price (including shipping) then I will. Anything more then that it depends on the actual $ amount difference. Honestly I just have a "thing" for the new book smell. So if it's just a couple of $'s I'll go new.

I buy a LOT of used books on Amazon! Using swagbucks makes these books even cheaper now, (or even free!) lol! (I suppose I could save up my $5 gift cards for one big $25 purchase, but I rarely have the patience to wait that long, lol.)

I agree with what others have said. Buy only Very Good, Like New or New if you're worried about condition. I have bought many, many Good condition books though, depending on the price, and usually for OOP books that are hard to find at a decent price.

Also, buying from someone who has good feedback (97% or higher) is also a good idea.

I use Bookfinder.com and purchase from the cheapest place that has the book I want in the condition I want.

I purchase quite a few used books from Amazon and have never been disappointed. I prefer books that are in "good" to "very good" condition. It saves quite a bit of money and many of the books are those that are out of print anyhow. I recently ordered a textbook for under $5 and brand-new it would've cost about $100. For the savings I'm totally fine with a worn cover and a few pages with notes in the margins. No big deal to me at all.

I've been buying all my books now on Amazon. That way I don't buy a book twice, as they tell me when I've purchased a book. :) I prefer to buy new, but will sometimes buy Used if it is Very Good or Like New, AND Fulfilled by Amazon. I love getting books in two days with Prime membership.

If I ever have the slightest disappointment, Amazon will refund or exchange for me. They even take care of any 3rd party sellers. Love Amazon. I sell my stuff on Amazon too.

I've bought a lot of used books on Amazon and for the most part have had good experiences. I've had a couple in worse condition than described, a flap book missing a flap, and a WWE book with 4 pages written in (easily erased but should have been noted in description). I generally will not buy used unless it is around a 50% cost savings of buying new. A lot of books qualify for the 4 for 3 promotion so I tend to use that a lot too.

I haven't had any issue buying used (yet! I will at some point). I am fine with old library books or library markings so I can often get books at substantial savings. As long as it is cheaper even including 3.99 shipping, I chose used. Of course, if I am buying new and used together then I have to make some decisions. Sometimes, it is worth it to my to buy new if the savings is minimal and I am buying other stuff that is new.

I also try to buy from the seller closest to my state to reduce the carbon emissions incurred during shipping.

If you can't find a book you want/need being sold by a fellow homeschooler, how do you decide whether to purchase it new (from Amazon, since it usually has the lowest prices) or take the chance in picking one from a used book seller on Amazon? I'm sure I could save money by doing the latter, but there's just no way of knowing what you're getting until it's in your hands. You could possibly find a great a bargain... or otherwise (IYKWIM).

I buy a lot of used books off of Half, because they give you shipping discounts for ordering from the same person.

That said I keep a wish list on Amazon so I can check quickly what books I need and which are cheaper used on half. I do have to allow more time to get the books when I buy used just in case something goes wrong. I have ordered from most of the bigger suppliers (betterworldbooks, thriftbooks, GreenEarthbooks, ....I know there are more.) and have had problems with most of them at one time or another, and they have all made good. Sometimes the book has writing that was not detailed, sometimes the book doesn't show. Thriftbooks once shipped an order out in two boxes and when one didn't show they asked me to give it more time, as it was around Christmas. Two weeks later (now about 60 days after my order date) they refunded the whole order, not just the lost books. Green Earth books is one I don't order from so much, not because I have had problems with service, but because they used to have a high rate of canceling my order because they had already sold the book to someone else on another site.

But I also just buy a lot of new books on Amazon. Their buy 4 for the price of 3 deal is great, and has been going on for years.

Heather

Buying used from Amazon is low risk. You do need to read the description carefully, but Amazon guarantees their used sellers too and will ban a seller who isn't good. I typically buy used if the used item with shipping cost is more than a dollar or two less than new.

I buy wherever is cheapest. I've never had a problem buying used through Amazon (I stick with high-volume, high-rating sellers). I am loving the "fulfilled by Amazon" used books, so I can get Prime shipping. I have also bought batches from Half.com because they have shipping discounts if you use the same seller. So basically, I just go where I can get the best book at the cheapest price.

I've been buying used from Amazon Marketplace quite a bit lately. So far, I'm very pleased. I do chose the highest rated seller for the amount of money I want to spend. I also get the best quality book I can, preferably "like new". So, far, I've been able to get what I want at least 1/2 price new (including shipping). BN.com also has a good used marketplace. Their prices can vary quite a bit, I check both amazon and bn. I'm most pleased with some OOP books I've been able to find from amazon marketplace.

I will just add that if I am purchasing several books I often compare the total amount of the new priced order on Amazon (with free shipping) to the total amount of the used prices including the shipping. If I am purchasing multiple books from different sellers, sometimes the totals are very close. If they are close enough I buy new to avoid hassles and for convenience. Sometimes it even works out cheaper.

I also consider the popularity of the curriculum. If it's really popular then I just give up and buy new.

Shannon

I will buy used books, unless I can't find what I need. I have used Amazon sellers before with no problems. I figure it's a risk just the same as buying off ebay and other online sites. I've just learned that used means used and if that's what I want, then that's what I am going to be getting.

I'll share an interesting twist that's happened since my original post from yesterday. First of all, over the past week or so I've been loading multiple resources for history, literature, etc. (that we'll be covering next year) from lists such as VP, MFW, etc. into my Amazon shopcart. I'm trying to find used materials from fellow homeschoolers as much as I can, but that doesn't happen as often as I'd like. Anyways, last night I was attempting to check each item in my shopcart to see what could be purchased used (on Amazon) instead of new. That's when I posted this thread.

Skip forward to today and it dawned on me that Rainbow Resource may be the better way to go on some of these items. I'd remembered someone saying that if you spend over a certain amount at RR, then they waive the shipping fee. I started to cross check the items in my Amazon cart and loaded them into my RR cart. It just so happens that on some of these items it's cheaper to buy new from RR, than used from Amazon (let alone new). The items were anywhere from $0.50 to $3.00+ cheaper and with the shipping waived... so far I'm saving over $40. Now I can spend what I'm saving... on more books!!! YAY! I sound like an advertisement. Ha!

Seriously though... I wonder if the time I spent doing all this comparison shopping is really worth it. What am I thinking? Of course it is... especially if it means more books! :D

yeah, I routinely shop with two shopping baskets open. I have one at Amazon and one at RR. Then I compare the two. I have an easier time getting stuff that is very specific to hs, like LOF books or Singapore math from RR. But for lit or history, I usually go with Amazon.
And don't forget that 4-for-3 isn't taken out until checkout, so don't just go with the cart total.

I currently have three online carts waiting for me... CBD, Amazon, and now RR. ;)

I always compare CBD, RR, and amazon before I buy. VP will price-match btw. You just call them and tell them the prices from the other place, and you get it for that. Makes it easier to support the people bringing you that lovely catalog. :)

That's a good point, though shipping costs are something to take into consideration as well. That said, I do have to order a CD and replacement history card, so perhaps I'll go ahead and check into their price match on a few items. Thanks for the tip!

:) Melissa