Menu

"I can't eat an ipad."

HE: ---> New York Federal Reserve Bank President William Dudley <----

Is a BUTT! IMO.

The kids and I were at the mall yesterday (I hate going to the mall -- cannot remember the last time I was there -- probably a year ago -- and, btw, it is less than 2 miles from my house) anyway, there were people lined up (seated, working on laptops, etc) on the lower level of the mall -- close to 1000 people - organized, quiet, but clearly, seated and waiting. The store manager told me they were in line to purchase the iPad2 that was going to be available at 5pm. The store manager was clearly all excited about this and in a tizzy over it -- I told her as nicely as I could that it totally had nothing to do with my life.

Wow. How many people in the U.S. own even a desktop, much less a laptop or an iPad? Are the many folks who can't afford any type of technology gizmos invisible?

Must be :glare: and it irks me to no end to know that there are people so utterly clueless as to assume that everyone has all these "things" and not realise that basic needs of food, clothing, and shelter is a desperate priority with many.

First of all, I agree that the comment by the Fed was insensitive and downright stupid, and I applaud the person who said he can't eat an iPad. We don't have an iPad because we don't feel it would be a good use of our money, but we are grateful that if we wanted one, we have the financial ability to save up and get one.

However, I have to wonder how many in that crowd were of the "government should stay out of private enterprise" mindset. If so, then why are they complaining to the government about prices in private enterprise?

Food prices and energy prices have never been taken into account when calculating inflation. That is nothing new. They are covered by the CPI, Consumer Price Index.

That may be true, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a particularly bone-headed thing to say.

In the overall picture of the total economy, I can see his point. But that doesn't help people who are feeling the food prices pinch who don't happen to have iPads on their weekly grocery lists.

That may be true, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a particularly bone-headed thing to say.

In the overall picture of the total economy, I can see his point. But that doesn't help people who are feeling the food prices pinch who don't happen to have iPads on their weekly grocery lists.

:iagree: We're a techno family. We love gadgets. But an I-pad costs more than we spend on groceries in a month. So if your family could chose to not eat for a month it might be a better comparison.

:iagree: We're a techno family. We love gadgets. But an I-pad costs more than we spend on groceries in a month. So if your family could chose to not eat for a month it might be a better comparison.

Oh, the first few days would be fine. Might even hold out for week. But, by week two the noise of stomachs grumbling would be deafening, and by week 3 the hard crazies would start and who knows who'll be eating who by week 4.

But what I really want to know is... how much did Apple pay for that clever little endorsement? :glare:

Yes, this makes me think of Catherine the Great on tour and how her ministers used staged middle class folk to line the roadway as stand ins for the peasants, because their plight was so horriby unacceptable it might have moved her to change.....

:iagree:In the grand scheme of the economy, yes, lower costs of 'other' items do balance out rising costs of food for some people. But of course, for those of us who struggle each month and can barely provide the necessities, lower costs of all the luxery items that we are never going to afford does nothing to balance OUR economy.

Honestly, I'm glad he said it. I think it's time for people to realize that the powers-that-be measure the strength of our economy by what the haves can afford, and by the increase in corporate profits that the spending of the haves creates. The have-nots just don't factor in.

Wow. How many people in the U.S. own even a desktop, much less a laptop or an iPad? Are the many folks who can't afford any type of technology gizmos invisible?

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-02-percent-adults-cellphone-survey.html

Not sure how much overlap there is between the laptop owners and desktop owners (some will have one or the other, some will have none< some will have both), but I have seen other numbers which say (in 2005) 75% of adults in America owned a computer.

However, I have to wonder how many in that crowd were of the "government should stay out of private enterprise" mindset. If so, then why are they complaining to the government about prices in private enterprise?

It is because the Federal Reserve system prints our money supply, which is not backed by anything beyond the word of the government, and that causes inflation.

However, I have to wonder how many in that crowd were of the "government should stay out of private enterprise" mindset. If so, then why are they complaining to the government about prices in private enterprise? __________________

The government is already neck deep into controlling the price of food and energy. Subsidized, legislated, taxed, inspected, licensed, permitted, etc operations hardly qualify as free enterprise.

It is because the Federal Reserve system prints our money supply, which is not backed by anything beyond the word of the government, and that causes inflation.

I'm aware of that and understand it. I also understand government interference in agribusiness as pointed out in a later post. What I was wondering though, was about the crowd of people. Many people who claim they want government hands off are also the first ones to complain that government isn't doing enough. No, I don't have links, but there were absurd shouts of "Keep your government hands off my Medicare!" during the health care debate.

I was just musing about the kinds of people who aren't happy regardless of what government does or doesn't do. And as I said in my post, it was an insensitive comment to compare an iPad to groceries.