Menu

How perceptions change

There is a young man in the next street I have been avoiding for years, He has tattoos, rings and studs almost everywhere, and he wears only black. He has his head shaved.

The morning after the quake I met him as I was walking down the deserted street. He saw me and came straight over to me. I froze. A big beam crossed his face and he shouted, grinning all over with joy. "They got my mum out of the CTV building last night! She's going to be OK.!!!"

Well, we hugged and cried for joy in the street right there and then. I do not know this boy's mother, but I do now know her son loves her, I know she is safe, and I now know her son! We say hello when we meet, and I ask after her, and he asks after my family. We wait together at the end of the road for the water tanker and pass the time of day.

Just one of the little things that have changed since the quake.

There is a young man in the next street I have been avoiding for years, He has tattoos, rings and studs almost everywhere, and he wears only black. He has his head shaved.

The morning after the quake I met him as I was walking down the deserted street. He saw me and came straight over to me. I froze. A big beam crossed his face and he shouted, grinning all over with joy. "They got my mum out of the CTV building last night! She's going to be OK.!!!"

Well, we hugged and cried for joy in the street right there and then. I do not know this boy's mother, but I do now know her son loves her, I know she is safe, and I now know her son! We say hello when we meet, and I ask after her, and he asks after my family. We wait together at the end of the road for the water tanker and pass the time of day.

it made my day :)

:iagree: Yes, Thank you for sharing this. It brought tears to my eyes. I often cringe at my own perception/ thoughts about people based on appearance or other factors. I work hard on this, but....I'm not perfect. We're all so different but we're still all people. I wish I could hug that boy too just to share in his happiness. Gosh....great post.

Crazy sometimes what it takes to bring people together. I try not to be judgmental but, well . . . I can be if the pants are low enough. There, I said it. Thinking now hard and long about things.

Thank you Willow. I too am glad you, your family, that boy, and his mother are alright.

That is so sweet.

Thanks for sharing that - made tears well up. You just never know about folks. There is a cashier at my Walmart who looks similar to the young man you described. He is the most polite cashier in the whole store - very chatty, makes sure fragile things are safe, double bags cans, etc. On the outside he might seem scary, but he's got the manners of a British butler and the customer service of a 5-star restaurant owner.

:iagree: Yes, Thank you for sharing this. It brought tears to my eyes. I often cringe at my own perception/ thoughts about people based on appearance or other factors. I work hard on this, but....I'm not perfect. We're all so different but we're still all people. I wish I could hug that boy too just to share in his happiness. Gosh....great post.

Teary-eyed here too. Thanks for a lovely story.:grouphug:

I know what you mean. We were just on my daughter's Make a Wish trip and while waiting to exit the Killer Whale show at Sea World the ONLY person that stopped and offered to let us go first (with my daughter in a wheelchair) was a young man that looked much like you described---all black, tattoo, chains, heavy earrings, etc.