Menu

If you were going to do a degree just for fun,

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... when I was in college I really wanted to be a Marine Biologist, but I didn't have the math skills for it. If there was a way I could do that without the stinking math I'd love to do that. I've also ALWAYS wanted to learn auto mechanics. I actually wanted to do that out of high school but my mom was against it (to put it mildly) :(

First, can I say that I love that this topic is here. That means there are other people who would do a degree just for fun.:D

I plan to go back to school after my kiddos have finished. I want to eventually get a masters in music - because I think it would be so cool to have a masters degree and because I wish I had majored in music the first time.

Masters in Economics or Rural Sociology or Sustainable Development (Domestic) or some combination of those

I am mostly interested in the alleviation of poverty in the Appalachian region.

Then I would go for Anthropology. If I had time and money, I would spend the rest of my life in acadamia.;)

Medieval History/Classics. I have a BS in Operations Management with a minor in Medieval History and a MSPM. I love history but it doesn't pay like project management does.

I could definitely see returning to complete a degree in MH/Classics some day after the kid has moved on and I'm retired. Right now? No way. When I have free time I like to veg. :)

I would absolutely be a "professional student" if I could!

The first field that came to my mind is archaeology/anthropology. I took several such classes as I was getting my degree in zoology, and I LOVED them. But in my intro zoology class, I also met man who was back in school to get a biology degree because he already had an anthropology degree and couldn't find a job. So that discouraged me from pursuing more than a handful of classes in the field. Although, as it turns out, getting a job turned out to be less of an issue than I thought it would be. :)

Latin, French, Greek, Philosophy, Theology, History . . . I would love to study any and all of these fields!

First, can I say that I love that this topic is here. That means there are other people who would do a degree just for fun.:D

I plan to go back to school after my kiddos have finished. I want to eventually get a masters in music - because I think it would be so cool to have a masters degree and because I wish I had majored in music the first time.

What was your first degree in, Laura?

I just finished an MA in American History last year. It was great. Smart people, interesting reading, etc. I was seriously considering doing a PhD after that, but that's a little less "fun" and little more of "major commitment."

I bet that was so much fun. I'm so glad you were able to do it!:)

I've thought about going back for a degree in math. But I'm not sure I can handle that at my age. I'm afraid I'd have a constant brain-ache.

I would also like to get an English degree that is about the structure of the language rather than lit and writing. Phonics, grammar, and morphology fascinate me. Writing literary analysis, not so much.

I've thought about going back for a degree in math. But I'm not sure I can handle that at my age.

I would also like to get an English degree that is about the structure of the language rather than lit and writing. Phonics, grammar, and morphology fascinate me. Writing literary analysis, not so much.

That sounds so hard! I took Structure of the English Language in college and barely survived! I'm so glad you like linguistics, though!

Well... when I was in college I really wanted to be a Marine Biologist, but I didn't have the math skills for it. If there was a way I could do that without the stinking math I'd love to do that. I've also ALWAYS wanted to learn auto mechanics. I actually wanted to do that out of high school but my mom was against it (to put it mildly) :(

My dh would love if I had any interest in auto mechanics . . . I hope yours knows how lucky he is!

Masters in Economics or Rural Sociology or Sustainable Development (Domestic) or some combination of those

I am mostly interested in the alleviation of poverty in the Appalachian region.

Then I would go for Anthropology. If I had time and money, I would spend the rest of my life in acadamia.;)

Have you read anything by Paul Krugman, Renee? I think that man is brilliant, an absolute American treasure.

I sincerely miss being in a college/university class setting, and I would be a professional student if someone else would pay for all my degrees! I've often thought of going to get another Masters degree, but there are too many things I would like to study, so until I can make up my mind, I'm going to save the money.

However, if someone was funding me... I would choose medicine (specifically OB), zoology, marine biology, meterology, British and American Literature, and theology. All of these areas truly fascinate me. Genetics would be pretty interesting as well!

I sincerely miss being in a college/university class setting, and I would be a professional student if someone else would pay for all my degrees! I've often thought of going to get another Masters degree, but there are too many things I would like to study, so until I can make up my mind, I'm going to save the money.

However, if someone was funding me... I would choose medicine (specifically OB), zoology, marine biology, meterology, British and American Literature, and theology. All of these areas truly fascinate me. Genetics would be pretty interesting as well!

I hear you, Jen! I would feel guilty allotting money for a degree in Portuguese or Italian or any other language right now (my area of interest). The kids' college studies are coming up, and that (and remodelling our house) is where all the money is headed. I still like to dream, though!:)

My dh would love if I had any interest in auto mechanics . . . I hope yours knows how lucky he is!

hehehehe I am the one who always takes care of the car. Unfortunately I never got to learn much about what goes on under the hood, but I did learn about auto detailing. I maintain our car, always check the tire pressure and make sure it's at the right PSI etc. A dream of mine that I've had since I was a young girl, is to get an old classic car and restore it. I so long to do that with like a '71 Chevelle or a '69 Camaro or a 70's mustang or a '59 Corvette.:drool5: That would be such a dream come true if I could.

Dh and I both talk about going back to school for either another Masters or a PhD. (Well for him it'd be a PhD in math; for me, I think I'd rather get another Masters rather than continue with a PhD in a reading-related area.) I have no idea,though, when I'd ever fit that in! :lol: I do love college and realize my time spent getting my Bachelor's was really wasted time; I definitely did not appreciate then the entire experience. In some ways my Master's was the same way as I was working full-time while going to school. But, I'd love to go back some day ... comparative religion, classics, even sociology or anthropology. None of it would be necessarily to get a job (though I do love teaching community college and it would give me more options than just teaching reading and writing courses).

I would consider getting a Master of Liberal Arts in Gastronomy with a concentration in history and culture, from Boston University. I like learning about food. If I were much younger, I'd want to go to medical school so that I could become a surgeon. Innards fascinate me, too.

Edited by RoughCollie

Comparative Religion. I love religion; it fascinates me.

Do you have an area of religion that particularly interests you, MLW? I remember meeting a woman who said that she had written her senior thesis on the difference between fundamentalists and pentecostals. Sounded very interesting . . .

I am currently working on a Master's degree in Theology for no particular reason. :D I will be finished in June and it has been a GREAT experience.

I've really appreciated some of the religious topics you've brought up here, Heather. I think you've made us all really think about our values and how we live them out. :)

what would you do it in? Feel free to explain why.:)

(Okay, I know we've done this before, but what would you choose today?)

Architecture. I had attempted this at one time, but I couldn't cut the math required to get past the first semester of coursework. So, instead, I continued my fine arts studies and branched out into fine arts history -- the sad refuge of those who aspire and admire, but cannot actualize. The buildings I create in my mind are my secret inspirations for many things, but I lack the training and ability to realize any of them.

Edited by Audrey

Architecture. I had attempted this at one time, but I couldn't cut the math required to get past the first semester of coursework. So, instead, I continued my fine arts studies and branched out into fine arts history -- the sad refuge of those who aspire and admire, but cannot actualize. The buildings I create in my mind are my secret inspirations for many things, but I lack the training and ability to realize any of them.

That's awesome Audrey. It's a shame the math was so tough. I'd love to see your drawings sometime. :)

I don't know if I could do a degree for fun. Too many classes not directly related to my subject might be required.

What I would LOVE to do for fun is just take whatever course looked interesting. Who cares about if it will count towards the degree? Who cares about the cost? Who cares if this class is here and the next one is there and the one after that is over yonder?

THAT is what I would love to do.

MFA or Theology or American History or Archaeology.

Maybe culinary school. Maybe law school.

So much to choose from, so little time.

I was just thinking about this, actually, wondering if there are course of study plans available in order to obtain the education without earning an official degree.

I don't know if I could do a degree for fun. Too many classes not directly related to my subject might be required.

What I would LOVE to do for fun is just take whatever course looked interesting. Who cares about if it will count towards the degree? Who cares about the cost? Who cares if this class is here and the next one is there and the one after that is over yonder?

THAT is what I would love to do.

You eclectic learner, you.

Definitely math here! I'm actually getting paid to go to school (drawing VA benefits under my dad's disability) and I'm finishing up a degree in history. I really love it, but not like I would LOVE math. The reason I'm doing history over math, though, is because it's easier to complete classes online/during off-hours. When my kids are this young, they still come first.

Okay, try! I'm curious!

Well, by 'another language' I mean something other than English. I have a minor in Spanish.

It might be fun to get a degree in any of the following languages:

Dutch

Spanish

Italian

Portuguese

Russian

Chinese

Japanese

or even something very abstract like Euskara (the Basque language)

Of course, in over half of my list, I know *nothing* about the languages, so I'd really be starting from the beginning!!! I might be about 102 years old by the time I'd get the degree too. ;):lol: