Menu

Help! I need the best bathroom air freshener EVER!!

I love dh. . . I really do. . . but I am so tired of entering our bathroom and getting hit w/ a scent that I will not describe here.

I've tried standard air fresheners and the don't do much. The one in there now is Febreze scent and sky. It has such a pretty scent, but when you're using it to cover up something else. . . yuk!!

If you have one you love, please share!

Alley

My dh is polite enough to do "that" in the bathroom that I never use.

I wish this was possible for our home, we have only one bathroom.

OP-I have tried the opening of the window and closing the door...it works when it is nice outside but I am not throwing my $ out the window when the heat or AC is on.

I will be keeping :bigear: on your thread, we have this same problem here.

I've noticed that I quickly begin to associate the cover scent with the original smell. Could that be what's happening with you? Anyway, if it's bad and I can't escape I'll spray some cologne that the kids got me (shhh--don't tell them but I never really liked it :tongue_smilie:). It's infrequent enough (we have two bathrooms) that it still does the job. Maybe you could just switch out fragrances, using a different one every week so your nose doesn't adjust.

I've noticed that I quickly begin to associate the cover scent with the original smell.

Blech... that's happened to me too. I can't stand the smell of certain apple cinnamon sprays now.

I'm a fan of Yankee Candle or Bath & Body Works air fresheners, turning on the fan, and closing the door.

My sis swears by matches! Light one and let it burn a couple seconds and blow it out.

Yep. This works. I think I read because it burns the methane gas. But it totally takes away the odor.

Citrus based sprays also work pretty well.

My sis swears by matches! Light one and let it burn a couple seconds and blow it out.

:iagree: You are actually dissipating the gas with this method. You get a few moments of that sulphur smell, but that'll be a far better smell than what your dh produced. In our house, we call it a "courtesy flame."

A match? Really? So you light just one and stand there for a minute? That's all? Next time I see DH headed to the bathroom, I'll toss a box of matches his way. :D

We keep a box of wooden matches and an empty votive holder in the bathroom. Generally, you just do your personal business, light the match, stick it in the votive holder, wash your hands, check to be sure the match is out. That's it.

One more suggestion if matches/candles are not an option due to young children. Mix Heinz white vinegar with several drops, (like 20) of essential oil. Spray the vinegar/EO mixture into the air and walk away. When you come back the unwanted odor is gone and the lovely EO scent stays. This is not an air freshener, like spray into the air and take a whiff type. It is better if you spray and leave and let the vinegar go to work.

:iagree: You are actually dissipating the gas with this method. You get a few moments of that sulphur smell, but that'll be a far better smell than what your dh produced. In our house, we call it a "courtesy flame."

:iagree: And combined with a "courtesy flush" it works even better. It is water wasteful, though. :)