Menu

Great Moments in Home Education and the Death of February

I've been really sick for 3 weeks in January and 3 weeks in February. Today is the first day I haven't been coughing all the time. Maybe I won't have to take those meds any longer!

Good homeschooling news:

Dd11 participated in the local Science Olympiad (we have a division A here) as part of a homeschool team. She placed 2rd in one event and 4th in another. There were 52 teams. This is the ninth consecutive year one of my kids has placed in a Science Olympiad (division A, B or C--ds is on his school's team) :)

Good overall news:

Older daughter turned 16 earlier this month. She and I planned an amazing mystery-themed Sweet 16 party called "Mystery in the Library" (we found it on www.merrimysteries.com) for which all the kids came dressed as characters from classic literature :D It was a hoot!

The boy was accepted into college! Hopefully he'll hear from the other schools soon. He was also named a Presidential Scholar candidate (3000 in the country!)----which means he wrote more essays, filled out yet another application, and can hope to be chosen as the single boy to represent our state. No money involved, but hey, it's a super cool honor :)

I am very very grateful to all who posted this time last year. I would never have known that a February slump is perfectly normal!

Edited by Luckymama

We've discovered a few new interests this month, mostly in cultures from around the world. We've traveled (through DVD & books) through the Himalayas, the Sahara, Kenya, and are now in Pakistan with Three Cups of Tea. I'm thrilled to see ds so interested in other parts of the world.

I love the conversations we have in school. I've been sick since last Thursday and we didn't get our daily chats. Today I was able to sit in the classroom for a while and I could see some of the attitude disappear as we talked. It's very encouraging to realize your teenage son values your time together.

Thank you Bill for helping me remember why I do this. I have been doubting myself so much this week after some of the threads here. So I searched the board the other day for encouragement. Lo and behold I found my post about my oldest being accepted to one of the best nursing schools in our state this year. Why did I doubt? This is an amazing journey to be on at this stage in my life!

Thank you Bill for helping me remember why I do this. I have been doubting myself so much this week after some of the threads here. So I searched the board the other day for encouragement. Lo and behold I found my post about my oldest being accepted to one of the best nursing schools in our state this year. Why did I doubt? This is an amazing journey to be on at this stage in my life!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: That is awesome! Great job mom! :hurray:

Let's see:

DS12 came home from school wanting to sign up for next year's elective designed for kids' who "possess a strong desire to go to college". Now, he's not actually the target audience of this class, but it's his first time to express that he really wants to got to college and would be willing to give up an elective to help make that happen. He's made excellent grades in all his classes this year, was nominated for GT by his preAP math teacher, is excelling on the bass in orchestra, and continues to do very well on his club soccer team. I know none of this is homeschool stuff, but it's been a big, good year for him after the stress of opting for PS after homeschooling his entire life.

DD10 and I are having an amazing time enjoying our MCT materials together. She is reading voluntarily (a first). Her beautiful singing fills the house throughout the day. She is auditioning for Beauty and the Beast this afternoon. Keep your fingers crossed!

DD3 has quite the sense of humor. She likes to pretend read her books to me and make silly mistakes and then laaaauuugh at how funny she is. Also, the girl can kick a soccer ball.

I love March.

Hope it's ok for me to post--Dd isn't homeschooling this year, but we are reaping some benefits from our K-2 and Grade 3 experience. She started memorizing The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere last year, and this year, has been continuing to do it on her own. She keeps copying down stanzas and memorizing them. In Feb, she added another one, and is over halfway done with the poem.

Ds is reaping the bennies, too--he is making a 4.0 in college. Says it's his independent learning skills he gained while homeschooling in high school. He compares himself to some of the kids in his classes who haven't a clue how to motivate themselves.

This will probably want to make you all egg and TP my house and throw tomatoes at me, but where I live, February is actually the most beautiful month. It's gorgeous outside. Some kids are swimming in the pool right now actually. **ducks and runs**

:lol::lol: snort :lol::lol:... here, too. I was thinking "What is so bad about February?" Also ducking and running....

Fun homeschool moments in February... my ds told me he likes his new book we are using for Bible lessons so much that he did extra the first day with it and didn't realize it (I just couldn't put it down Mom!). :svengo:

He also said "I think Math is my favorite subject." :svengo:

And last night I caught him reading a book of HIS OWN ACCORD. :svengo:

So maybe puberty has not killed his brain cells after all!

:lol::lol: snort :lol::lol:... here, too. I was thinking "What is so bad about February?" Also ducking and running....

Fun homeschool moments in February... my ds told me he likes his new book we are using for Bible lessons so much that he did extra the first day with it and didn't realize it (I just couldn't put it down Mom!). :svengo:

He also said "I think Math is my favorite subject." :svengo:

And last night I caught him reading a book of HIS OWN ACCORD.

So maybe puberty has not killed his brain cells after all!

hehehehe I know right? :D Actually, I don't have any homeschool related fun things or inspiring things to report. Truth be told, we're feeling a bit like we're in the doldrums right now. BUT my mother is coming down at the end of this week and will spend a week so it will be a little vacation and that's always good. :)

Moments ago the state patrol pulled a driver over in front of our house. The girls were glued to the window for an hour watching the "process". In the end the driver must not have been licensed to drive because most of the time was spent waiting for someone (mom?) to show up to legally drive the car.

It was VERY exciting and sparked lots of questions and conversation about police, the law, justice, etc. Perhaps I shouldn't have asked to be excused from jury duty in March. (BTW jury summons was another "highlight" of February but I have been officially excused).

This will probably want to make you all egg and TP my house and throw tomatoes at me, but where I live, February is actually the most beautiful month. It's gorgeous outside. Some kids are swimming in the pool right now actually. **ducks and runs**

You don't need to run from us! August in FL is coming to get even with you so we don't have to. :D

I've decided February in Michigan isn't that bad after all. I'm learning (slowly) to snowboard. Right now I really hurt, but I'm learning. :tongue_smilie:

My 7.5 DS was struggling with reading. It was why I decided to homeschool, and I wasn't sure whether it was a maturity issue, or perhaps a reading disability. The only thing I knew for sure was that I was NOT going to rely on the experts this time. (My 24 y/ DD is dyslexic and school was intolerable)

But anyway, in the last month my son began reading for pleasure. He isn't breaking any records, but he is able to read and comprehend most of the Step into reading level 2 and 3 books. The best part is that he doesn't have any idea that he was 'behind' and instead of feeling pressure, he is filled with pride. He has a great sense of who he is and what he can do. The greatest moments of my day are the many times when he tells me "don't help me Mom"......sounds out a word and then beams with pride. If I could bottle that feeling.

We took a 5-day vacation and went to Great Wolf Lodge in Kansas City. We took the kids to the fabulous art museum there. They actually loved it! We also went to Science City in KC. Again, kids loved it.

The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art was my FAVORITE field trip growing up!

This month, my favorite thing about homeschooling was being able to take a cruise without worrying about anyone else's schedule.

My DC finished 4 short films for a contest, and I'm so glad they're done! When I got to my spot at the school room table today, there was a big alien hand on it that they'd made out of liquid latex. DS said, "Oh, it's for a movie." Of course. I made them move it out of my spot, with a, "That's disgusting!" But truly, it was one impressive alien appendage...;)

You don't need to run from us! August in FL is coming to get even with you so we don't have to. :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Now that's just mean! :lol::lol:

I've been thinking about that very thing lately actually. This is our last hurrah before the weather starts getting hot. This time of year I start trying to use up everything in my freezer so I can empty it out before hurricane season starts up in June. I just hope we don't get any hurricanes this year.

I've decided February in Michigan isn't that bad after all. I'm learning (slowly) to snowboard. Right now I really hurt, but I'm learning. :tongue_smilie:

That sounds like so much fun. If I lived somewhere cold I would so want to do that too. :) Have fun with it Darla. Stay safe. :)

My youngest ds's birthday is in February, so he challenged Grandpa to a game of bowling. None of us ever bowled, except him and dh once before....So...The first Annual Sam's Birthday Bowl was instated.

Pizza, cupcakes, trophies for the kids....and an afternoon of hilarious fun with our entire family, all 34 of us including cousins and aunts and favorite neighbors. Nobody fought, nobody got hurt, we were all laughing and enjoying ourselves. What an awesome memory!

Faithe

We had a great February. My daughter turned 12, and she hosted a valentine bake-off party. Three of us baked cakes, and three other family members were judges. I think it's going to become a family tradition, (because eating 3 cakes in one day is AWESOME :D)

I also finished setting up my classroom, and I LOVE IT!! All of our junk fits perfectly in it, and the green walls make me happy.

My last fab Feb moment would have to be that the girls really got into The (Kingfisher) Iliad. It was a big hit. That one surprised me. :)

This is what I want to remember about home schooling in February. Here's my sweet little man working happily on his Song School Latin lesson in his cutie pie pajamas, with the sun streaming in the windows behind him, and snow on the trees. The only thing better than this would have been a photo of all three of us (Little Man, Mommy and Daddy) snuggled up together on the couch, sharing a blanket in front of the fire, reading and reading and reading. We did a lot of this and loved every second.

IMG_3197.jpg

This might seem stalker-weird but when I saw this photo I had to post that we've seen his video on youtube!!! My dd has been asking to learn Latin so I looked up SSL on youtube to see if she'd like some clips from it and your son's came up, and Satori's :lol:. He is so cute, my DD loves his pjs :D.

how about recounting a few little (or big) moments from your home education adventure that make your heart warm when you recall them, and give you the lift you need to say: This is SO worth it!!!.

I let my ten year old read Animal Farm for free reading this year. When I first handed him the book, he asked if it was about animals. I said no, it's about Russia. A few chapters in, he turns to me and asks, "So ... Napoleon is Stalin, right?"

That was an awesome "YES!" moment for me. :)

I let my ten year old read Animal Farm for free reading this year. When I first handed him the book, he asked if it was about animals. I said no, it's about Russia. A few chapters in, he turns to me and asks, "So ... Napoleon is Stalin, right?"

That was an awesome "YES!" moment for me. :)

That's what I'm taking about! :D

Bill

Hobbes was off school on Monday with conjunctivitis. It was a crisp, sunny day and the post office was quiet. We sat on a wall opposite and talked to all the ladybirds that were coming out of hibernation, and tried to persuade a caterpillar to eat something, so we could identify its diet and take it home to pupate. Although Hobbes is now at school, we can still recapture the curiosity of quiet mornings in the sunshine staring at a patch of ground.

Laura