Menu

I am bragging...

Dd18 just received an award letter from the university she will be attending in the fall...

She will be receiving a $20,000 award (over 4 years). It is the Board of Regents President's Scholarship. We are just thrilled for her. All her hard work throughout her homeschool years and her SAT score helped her achieve this.

She already has a 60% athletic scholarship for her first year and 100% thereafter...so, if she gets academic money, some of that athletic money can go to another athlete that maybe would not have gotten anything.

She is now waiting to hear about 2 other scholarships. At this rate, she just might cover all her tuition, fees, books, dorm and meals!

Sorry for the brag, but we are so excited this evening.

:D:D:D

Congratulations!!! What wonderful news!! ''

I am wondering though. I am thinking of sending my 8th grader to high school next year for sports. How did your dd receive athletic scholarships?

Here, homeschooled students are not allowed to play on school teams. It seems really hard for homeschooled students to receive sports scholarships.

My daughter plays soccer. Soccer is not dependent upon being on a school team. She has played club soccer since she was 10 and before that on the local league since age 5. She also played on a homeschool team during her 9th, 10th and 11th grade years, but decided not to play this year due to the high school teams playing "thug ball". Too many girls get hurt and she didn't want to go into her first year of college soccer injured.

If you have a student that excels in athletics and truly wants to follow that path, then public or private school might be the way to go. Some sports are dependent upon being in school...football, basketball, track, baseball (maybe, although there are club teams for baseball/softball that recruiters pull from). The only ones I know of that school doesn't affect are soccer and volleyball and probably gymnastics and swimming.

My daughter has wanted to play college soccer since she was small...she just knew...she has that passion for it. She still gets butterflies in her stomach before games and she's been playing for 13 years now!

Edited by Robin in DFW
add info

My son actually plays soccer too. He is passionate about it' date=' like your daughter. I always assumed though, that the recruiters go to the high schools.[/quote']

My son plays basketball. Here in FL, he can play for the local public school. But, it is my understanding that the recruiters tend to follow the AAU tournaments. They can see many, many more athletes in a weekend that way. It's quicker than going to a game at each high school.

Also, I've heard it's very advantageous to attend the summer sports camps at the interested schools.

Of course, I know nothing about competitive soccer.

We are in Texas. Soccer (especially girls) is a big business.

Dd's team is in lots of tournaments both in state and out of state. We have travelled to Florida, North Carolina, Arizona, California, D.C...

The recruiters come to these tournaments in droves to see hundreds of teams at once.

We had to do a lot emailing to college coaches before and after every tournament and dd has a profile page.

The tournaments invite coaches, they give out lists for players so they can contact them and invite them to watch their games.

It is a lot of work for the player and parents to get the athlete noticed.

Does your son play on a club team? They should advise you on how to go about handling the recruiting process.

Sue...my dd will be attending The University of North Texas...