Menu

Libya, dozens dead.

pqr

"Please, please tell the world - let the world know that he's killing the people for no reason. They're very peaceful protesters. He's bringing foreigners from nowhere, from nowhere, Africans, black African snipers shooting the people in the streets of Benghazi, now he's attacking Benghazi itself with rocket missiles."

:crying:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12517327

"

Details have emerged of huge casualty figures in the Libyan city of Benghazi, where troops have launched a brutal crackdown on protesters.

More than 200 people are known to have died, doctors say, with 900 injured.

The most bloody attacks were reported over the weekend, as funeral marches were said to have come under machine-gun and heavy weapons fire."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12517327

"

Details have emerged of huge casualty figures in the Libyan city of Benghazi, where troops have launched a brutal crackdown on protesters.

More than 200 people are known to have died, doctors say, with 900 injured.

The most bloody attacks were reported over the weekend, as funeral marches were said to have come under machine-gun and heavy weapons fire."

That is just ghastly!! Oh my gosh! Firing on funeral marches!! They are not even protesting anything!! What the?? :001_huh: :mad: :crying:

I don't see how. Egypt is not in any real position and foreign troops might galvanize forces against an "invasion."

The AU....well......

The UN....well......

The EU, I don't know if the political will exists.

The US, political will and national interest....

Further if there is intervention where does one stop or why start with Libya? The civil war in Sri Lanka killed far more as did Sudan, the Congo etc. Is there any appetite for intervention? Would it make sense?

Two weeks ago, I took my kids to see a film about Lybia. It was so beautiful. I knew nothing much of the country before that, but the film left us with an impression of a nice nation, with a high rate of living for this region of Africa. And Khadafi has done a lot of good generally speaking. No taxes, free hospitals, free schooling. It was prosperous.

Of course it wasn't perfect, I didn't like the idea of building houses for the nomads of the desert. The kids are losing the precious survival knowledge and being plugged in front of giant TV screens. Sure it looks good, it's easier to watch TV than to fend for oneself in the desert. But in the long run, I doubt it's for the greater good.

And now these news of revolution... :grouphug: to Lybians everywhere.

I don't see how. Egypt is not in any real position and foreign troops might galvanize forces against an "invasion."

The AU....well......

The UN....well......

The EU, I don't know if the political will exists.

The US, political will and national interest....

Further if there is intervention where does one stop or why start with Libya? The civil war in Sri Lanka killed far more as did Sudan, the Congo etc. Is there any appetite for intervention? Would it make sense?

I know we don't step into the midst of Civil Wars and one might even think that this was one, but I wonder at what point people start thinking Holocaust.

I will say, the EU seems a little busy with themselves right now. The UN could go in and rape whoever is left standing. I do wish there was some magical conglomeration of people united for the cause of protecting innocent lives, but alas...

Two weeks ago, I took my kids to see a film about Lybia. It was so beautiful. I knew nothing much of the country before that, but the film left us with an impression of a nice nation, with a high rate of living for this region of Africa. And Khadafi has done a lot of good generally speaking. No taxes, free hospitals, free schooling. It was prosperous.

Of course it wasn't perfect, I didn't like the idea of building houses for the nomads of the desert. The kids are losing the precious survival knowledge and being plugged in front of giant TV screens. Sure it looks good, it's easier to watch TV than to fend for oneself in the desert. But in the long run, I doubt it's for the greater good.

don't forget the other things he did...

Torture Chambers

Lockerbie (270 dead)

Sponsoring terrorism around the world

Rape

Graft

Bombing his own people

The list goes on and on.

Mussolini had the trains run on time and Hitler built the autobahn, but people fortunately see the bigger picture.

To speak of good and Qadafi in the same sentence completely misses the point. His behavior would indicate that he is a monster.

I know we don't step into the midst of Civil Wars and one might even think that this was one, but I wonder at what point people start thinking Holocaust.

They don't..... there is zero comparison. In one case some 6 million were systematically murdered because of their race and faith in the other there is a civil war brewing. Nasy, ugly, sad, tragic?......yes........but Holocaust or genocide?.... no.

Those words are overused and their true meaning is diminished when they are used as such.

I do not know what the answer is.

don't forget the other things he did...

Torture Chambers

Lockerbie (270 dead)

Sponsoring terrorism around the world

Rape

Graft

Bombing his own people

The list goes on and on.

Mussolini had the trains run on time and Hitler built the autobahn, but people fortunately see the bigger picture.

To speak of good and Qadafi in the same sentence completely misses the point. His behavior would indicate that he is a monster.

Agreeing with you, pqr.

There have those who have been happy to see Qadafi remain in power in order to keep oil cheap and flowing. Frankly I find that attitude to be unconscionable.

It sounds like he might be out today...

They don't..... there is zero comparison. In one case some 6 million were systematically murdered because of their race and faith in the other there is a civil war brewing. Nasy, ugly, sad, tragic?......yes........but Holocaust or genocide?.... no.

Those words are overused and their true meaning is diminished when they are used as such.

I do not know what the answer is.

You're probably right. It's seeing people cut down, chased down in such a way. The speeches that tout complete annihilation of all protestors that give me pause and make me think Holocaust. It's a cutting down of the innocent.

I heard a question raised today about whether he'll flee to Venezuela. The thoughts of the commentator were that he won't. She proposed that he'll either be killed or commit suicide because fleeing wouldn't "fit" for him.

He has said in speeches that he would rather die than quit. He may not (inshallah) have long to choose.

Bill

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree: