Menu

Rolling blackouts statewide in Texas

We haven't but DH said he drove through several areas without power on his way in to work this morning.

I was getting ready to run on the treadmill when I heard on the tv about the blackouts. Decided I would wait to run as I don't really want to be on the treadmill, knowing we might lose power. :001_huh:

Not here, but a friend posted something about it on FB this morning. I didn't know if she meant her area, or elsewhere. She lives about 20 miles from me. Another friend across town said they lost power this am, but not for long. I guess I should warn dd2, she freaks out about stuff like that.

Ours was out at 6:50am and stayed off for around 20 minutes or so. It freaked out our dog. She was whimpering when our emergency lights came on.

I'm very happy with our emergency light purchase. We got them from Home Depot. They stay plugged in all the time to keep the batteries charged and whenever power is interrupted, they come on. You wouldn't want these in a bedroom. They're intended for common areas and near stairways. They last about 4 hours before the batteries die. We have a little one that's about nightlight strength for a hallway.

I'm in San Antonio and we have not lost power yet, but my DH's work (about 10 mins away) lost it for an hour, and a friend who is 10 mins in the opposite direction lost her's for about an hour. I have other friends scattered throughout the city who both have and have not lost power. Seems pretty random who is and is not losing power and when.

We had one blackout earlier this morning, for a short time. Not sure how long because I was asleep when it started. :)

According to the news, these are planned power outages because of high demand for electricity combined with some power plants not functioning because of the weather. The planned blackouts should last 10-45 minutes. If they last longer, then people are supposed to call Oncor and report the outage -- it could be weather related.

More info is here: http://www.oncor.com/news/newsrel/detail.aspx?prid=1288

We've been 20ish minutes on, 40 off since the middle of the night. :/ The very rich areas of Austin aren't having any power outages though.

I'd noticed that. We live near the Allandale neighborhood (we're in a cheap house on an undesirable lot, but the property taxes are just killing us anyway...) and haven't had a single power loss. But some of the nicer suburbs are also getting power outages. I thought maybe it was this neighborhood being so near the hospitals and medical centers, that the city was trying to spare this area.

We had it happen at 6:50 am, 8:30 am, and around lunchtime. They were only for about 15 minutes. We received an email from our city that they would not be neccessary at this time but might become neccessary again this evening and tomorrow morning.

Which reminds me, I'd better move that load from the washer to the dryer! :D

we haven't had any in my neighborhood...yet. Friends in the next suburb over were without power for 8 hours!

The biggest nuisance is that we've had to keep the faucets dripping, as we apparently have some uninsulated pipes that are in an outside wall. :glare: Kind of scary when one faucet suddenly won't run any hot water and the other one runs gray when you first turn it on. A pox on the homebuilder!

Looks like most schools will be out tomorrow as well. My kid is not happy that he isn't getting "snow days"--what would he do for goodness sake? It's too frigid and icy to play outside. If there were bonafide snow, he'd be out in it.

I'd noticed that. We live near the Allandale neighborhood (we're in a cheap house on an undesirable lot, but the property taxes are just killing us anyway...) and haven't had a single power loss. But some of the nicer suburbs are also getting power outages. I thought maybe it was this neighborhood being so near the hospitals and medical centers, that the city was trying to spare this area.

Yeah, we're in a nice area...but not Tarrytown, etc. The hospitals have been exempted (as they should be!), but so were a bunch of computer companies apparently like Samsung. And Oncor from what a friend told me tonight is encouraging people to work at home tomorrow to save drain on the electric grid. :confused:

We were told we'd probably see some last night, built a fire, just in case, and didn't get any. And I know they're telling us to expect them again this morning, but I don't have good fire building skills LOL

So we'll suck it up if it does go out. Besides, I think DH used up our winter allotment of firewood last night. We don't do a fire but once or twice a winter, so just buy a small stack from the store, and I'm not getting out IN the cold to go buy a small bit of wood, especially not this morning when it's still 12F at our house.

I just want to get out of the house!! Just a for a little while. And with snow coming tomorrow, too, I may brave the frigid temps (22F) this afternoon even just to go to the store for a little while..just to get out! We need eggs, anyway.