Menu

EEW! There is something in the attic

What was it? Raccoons? Squirrels? Zombies?

(She hasn't posted an update yet, so I'm getting pretty worried that it might have been zombies.) :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cat

I think squirrels and zombies are not that far removed. :tongue_smilie:

We had squirrels get in through the eaves with babies this last spring so I was pretty sure it wasn't that. :)

Sadly, it turned out to be bats, underneath the insulation above the bedroom were we added on to our house two years ago. I'm not sure if there are more up there, only two were active. All the noise was them digging around. I'm amazed they could be that loud. I have no idea why they would be active, it's only 21 degrees outside right now. We will have to keep an eye out as it warms up and see if there are more and how they are getting in and out. :sad: I hate when it's the good guys.

We had squirrels get in through the eaves with babies this last spring so I was pretty sure it wasn't that. :)

Sadly, it turned out to be bats, underneath the insulation above the bedroom were we added on to our house two years ago. I'm not sure if there are more up there, only two were active. All the noise was them digging around. I'm amazed they could be that loud. I have no idea why they would be active, it's only 21 degrees outside right now. We will have to keep an eye out as it warms up and see if there are more and how they are getting in and out. :sad: I hate when it's the good guys.

:eek:

Me thinks you need to call pest control- you don't wanna go bat-guano-crazy do you?

:eek: b-b-b-bats?? :svengo: Ay, they freak me out. Are you saying that the b-b-b-bats are they good guys?? :svengo:

(She hasn't posted an update yet, so I'm getting pretty worried that it might have been zombies.) :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cat

It's really not a big deal if it IS zombies. To get away all you have to do is RUN. Havn't you noticed that they only walk slowly with their arms straight out? You can totally outrun that.

Cat

I don't think zombies are agile enough to climb into an attic. They mostly shuffle around on the ground. So I think she's okay.:001_smile:

Wendi

We've been fighting a battle with squirrels (we block them out, they create a new hole...eventually the entire attic area will be metal!), and I think I'd prefer Zombies! At least they don't gnaw.

Squirrels! So cute, but so persistent and destructive! We had loads of them in our yard in Florida (oak trees), but we almost never see one here (except when we go hiking). Instead ... pigeons. My mortal enemies. I can hear them on my roof, mocking me.

Wendi

Batman was a surprisingly close guess. :lol:

Mel I hope you can find someway to entice them outside and then seal up afterward. Maybe an outside bathouse would help? Not sure if anything will get them outside if it's cold, but they must be going out to eat.

Ugh... bats rustling around in the winter?! Isn't that strange? I thought they were supposed to be sleeping?!

We've had 2 bats in this house where we are living now. The owner didn't seem too concerned, but they totally freak me out!! :tongue_smilie: I thought I didn't have to worry about them in the winter time. :glare:

I don't think zombies are agile enough to climb into an attic. They mostly shuffle around on the ground. So I think she's okay.:001_smile:

Wendi

No no no ... Haven't you been keeping track of the modern zombie apocalypses, like 28 Days Later and Zombieland? Today's zombies sprint like Jesse Owens, and climb and do all sorts of athletic things. You can't even trust a dalek to stay put on ground level these days.

Not long after me and dh were married we had one(bat not zombie:001_smile:)get into the house. He was getting ready for work and I'd gone out to the kitchen and this dark thing comes zooming by my head to my horror it was a huge(okay maybe not that huge but it certainly seemed like it at the time) fanged and massively clawed(well I'm assuming so because I'm pretty sure it was waiting to attack me) BAT! I yelled out for my dh "Honey, there's a bat in the house!" and waited for my knight to come slay the bat and rescue me. But instead he yells back "Why would you say something like that?":blink:

My uncle got rid of the bats in his attic by placing a big light up there for a couple of weeks. They went out they way they came in, and he sealed it up. Bats are good as long as they're not rabid.

All I know about zombies is what I learned from Shaun of the Dead, so I can't really help if anyone has those in the attic. :tongue_smilie:

When I was an itty-bitty kid, my lived in a very old house, and my parents were in bed looking up at the ceiling and saw it move. My dad climbed into the attic with his gun (I come from a well-armed family), shot something and called for my mom to bring him a bag "for these snakes." She says, "No, really, what is up there?" He wasn't kidding. My earliest memory (I do not remember the snake in the attic episode) from childhood is being carried back to my bedroom in that same house. My mom opened the door to the hall, and we saw a snake curled up in it. If that house were still standing, I could show you exactly where that snake was, and this was 41 years ago.

Gee, I hope that didn't feak anyone out. ;)

Terri

My dad climbed into the attic with his gun (I come from a well-armed family), shot something and called for my mom to bring him a bag "for these snakes."

:svengo::svengo::svengo:

I like snakes just fine, but not when they're loose in the house. :ack2:

I'm sure your mom was particularly alarmed when he used the plural, "THESE SNAKES." She was probably picturing hundreds of them up there! (And maybe there were... ;))

Cat

I yelled out for my dh "Honey, there's a bat in the house!" and waited for my knight to come slay the bat and rescue me. But instead he yells back "Why would you say something like that?":blink:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

My dh probably would have knocked me over, trying to get out the door ahead of me. :glare:

I'm always the one who has to deal with any sort of varmints and vermin.

Cat

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

My dh probably would have knocked me over, trying to get out the door ahead of me. :glare:

I'm always the one who has to deal with any sort of varmints and vermin.

Cat

I am so glad we have a teenager who is more than eager to capture, identify, and release any unwanted domestic fauna.

Ugh... bats rustling around in the winter?! Isn't that strange? I thought they were supposed to be sleeping?!

We've had 2 bats in this house where we are living now. The owner didn't seem too concerned, but they totally freak me out!! :tongue_smilie: I thought I didn't have to worry about them in the winter time. :glare:

Exactly!

Try putting some moth balls around the area where they are "camping". ;) The smell usually makes them move out...

I will mention this to DH tomorrow, thank you! We don't have a lot of bats here in town so I am hoping these two were the only visitors. I plan to send my DH on a hunt to try and figure out how they got in, so it doesn't happen again. I am still surprised that they were active, it's been in the single digits until yesterday, and then the high was still well below freezing.

I had to promise my animal loving DD that we would put a bat house up in the far end of the backyard. She and her brother have been on a stake out in the bedrooms to make sure there aren't any more "waking up". :) This is the DD who wanted to dissect them...

When I was an itty-bitty kid, my lived in a very old house, and my parents were in bed looking up at the ceiling and saw it move. My dad climbed into the attic with his gun (I come from a well-armed family), shot something and called for my mom to bring him a bag "for these snakes." She says, "No, really, what is up there?" He wasn't kidding. My earliest memory (I do not remember the snake in the attic episode) from childhood is being carried back to my bedroom in that same house. My mom opened the door to the hall, and we saw a snake curled up in it. If that house were still standing, I could show you exactly where that snake was, and this was 41 years ago.

How in the world do snakes get into your attic??